PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Into the Celebrity Culture

Music Fiend
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Okay, so we all know that, in many parts of the world, there is an obsession with Hollywood and celebrities. What I want to ask is, do you indulge in it? Do you buy those tabloids, hoping that Brittany Spears got into another car crash or to read about the latest plastic surgery rumor? Do you watch shows like Extra!, The Insider, and Access Hollywood, trying to find out which star got hit with an accusation of being anorexic? How about those crappy teen magazines?

Well, I do admit to watching Extra! and The Insider, but that's about as far as I go with it, other than watching the ShowBiz Show with David Spade. David does a great job at making this celebrity junk really funny.

Eris
07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
No, I don't.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
No, but I DO hope Brittany Spears gets in another car crash.

Tetsanosuke
07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Not really, but I do like the Showbiz Show!

Keitaru-san
07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks to medias and critiques
we love to know whats their up too.

but for me...i dont really care if brad pitt dumped jennifer for angelina. its their life not ours.

Gjallarhorn
07-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't, but my family does, and as such, I get it like second-hand smoke.

Souhi
07-06-2006, 08:42 PM
My parents are obsessed with celebs. I really don't see it, but I have nothing against those who do enjoy talking about and buying into the whole celebrities and scandals etc stuff.

I'm trying to run my own life these days, why do I care what so and so wore to whatever, divorced whoever, and got drunk wherever? I really don't care.

I won't even get into the whole teen magazine thing.....*shudders*

Ami~chan
07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't, but my family does, and as such, I get it like second-hand smoke.
Eh, same here.

I don't care what is going on in a celebrities life. I just want them to make good movies/music/whatever.

zan
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
No I Hate Them All I Want To Kill Them.. They Think Their So Great I Want To Kill Them.. The Complain About So Much But They Have It So Easy...

Rageling
07-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I have no idea who the big celebrities are and I do not make any effort to find out about them simply because I really don't care.

animegirl2538
07-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Other than a few choice musicians, I've never really been interested in celebrities and their personal lives. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out my own, especially now that I have a job and lots of responsibilities. I am totally out of the pop culture loop.

Faceless111
07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
No, but I DO hope Brittany Spears gets in another car crash.Sympathy for the fool she crashes into. He might not deserve it.

But, I don't. The only time I read People magazine was when I was waiting in the dentist waiting room. Even then, I hardly was reading it. I don't enjoy Cribs or those other TV shows about celebs either. I hate to feel like a loser, so I avoid them with an effort.

.mystic
07-07-2006, 12:36 AM
My parents are obsessed with celebs. I really don't see it, but I have nothing against those who do enjoy talking about and buying into the whole celebrities and scandals etc stuff.

I'm trying to run my own life these days, why do I care what so and so wore to whatever, divorced whoever, and got drunk wherever? I really don't care.

I won't even get into the whole teen magazine thing.....*shudders*
Agreed.

uh teen magazines..

anyway, i would say no. my mother would be the only one in my house that reads a magazine. i infact have a life.. well.. a poor one at that but i have one and i dont sit around reading bout other people.

AngelxWithin
07-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Eh, same here.

I don't care what is going on in a celebrities life. I just want them to make good movies/music/whatever.Yeah, they should quit complaining and do their overpaying job while everyone else struggles.

AngelxWithin
07-08-2006, 03:16 PM
My bad, I clicked that Post Reply button twice...:unsure:

Masali
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't watch TV, Read the paper, magazines, or any tabloids whatsoever. I don't even KNOW what celebraties are cool and who aren't. Hell, I don't even know if N'sync is still popular or not. Is Justin still with Brittney?

All kidding aside, I stay the FREAK away from all that jazz. I hate it, it makes me feel shallower then the baby pool.

Daenerys
07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
When my sister buys them, I'll shift through them, but it's usually stuff I saw on the internet for free. I read People Magazine, they usually have really good stories on regular people.

Other than that, I don't pay attention to famous people unless they're in a band I like.

Thornwillow
07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Well ... >.>; I feel like the only reject here then. lol It is pretty much unanimous what the general consensus is here - you guys don't like celebrities or tabloids. XD

Ok well ... I do have to admit that my parents buy those magazines about the celebrities or my mom will go on the Extra! or Access Hollywood websites and see what's going on, and I generally act interested. It's good to indulge in your parents interests once and a while, you don't know how long you'll have them. :)

That aside, I read the tabloids and I watch those tabloid shows occasionally when I'm passing by. The magazines like People and Star are good to read while you're going to bathroom. lmao >.> That's the only time I read them. >_<; But hey ... I'm pretty up to date with just about any celebrity. XD

sapphiredragon
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll sometimes watch the kind of shows that make fun of celebrities' actions, but I only do that when I have nothing better to do.

I think we should be more interested in musicians' music and actors'/actresses' acting than their personal lives.