PDA

View Full Version : Is Religion Necesary?

Tetsanosuke
07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
No offence up front to all who read this. Having my own opinion of religion, I'd like to read other's opinions on this topic with an objective view.

Do you think religion is necesary for human life to prosper? Do you think the belief of (a) divine presence(s) is one of the things keeping this world together?

If so, why?

If not, Why not?

I hope to read a lot of responces on this topic. ^^

Prophet of Death
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Actually IMO religion is ruining the world...

Sagat
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I won't go into detail cause I know better than that for these topics.

Suffice it to say, I think it's caused more problems than good.

...*sits back and waits for the top to pop off the can of worms*

Rageling
07-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Religion is a good tool of control. Wiccan, Christian, Satanism, and all others serve the purpose of giving people something to believe in and a structure to live by. Even atheism is built around the solitary belief that there is no higher power. Basically religion is a belief which is necessary to live by. We may not all necessary need it, but we all need some belief system to live by and religion does serve that purpose.

That's as far as I go I believe in beliefs. Details and insignificant facts, those are what gives people excuses for close-mindedness. I believe that Jesus was our savior, God created the world, we are all forgiven from our sins through him, and anything else I don't care. I am uplifted by my religion, I don't let it weigh me down because I believe that it's entire purpose is to give me strength not take it away or make me behave in ways contrary to my other beliefs.

EDIT: Just saw this and wanted to point out that I stopped believing in Jesus as the messiah and most Christian concepts about a week after this post.

Tetsanosuke
07-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Hmmm... Very interesting Rageling!^^
Let's continue!

Eris
07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Religion is a good tool of control. Wiccan, Christian, Satanism, and all others serve the purpose of giving people something to believe in and a structure to live by. Even atheism is built around the solitary belief that there is no higher power. Basically religion is a belief which is necessary to live by. We may not all necessary need it, but we all need some belief system to live by and religion does serve that purpose.

No, atheism is not a religion. By definition religion is the beleif in a higher being, or higher beings, deities. Atheism is a philosophy, and a philosophy is pretty much what you described; a way to lead and structure your life.

Rageling
07-03-2006, 08:05 PM
That's what I was trying to explain, we all need a belief structure even if it's not necessarily a religion but that religion does serve that purpose.

Eris
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Why does one need a beleif structure? Can't one have their own ad-hoc beliefs?

Sasuke is God
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
no it's only for those who can't find there own way.

famous
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
No offence up front to all who read this. Having my own opinion of religion, I'd like to read other's opinions on this topic with an objective view.

Do you think religion is necesary for human life to prosper? Do you think the belief of (a) divine presence(s) is one of the things keeping this world together?

If so, why?

If not, Why not?

I hope to read a lot of responces on this topic. ^^well u see
i mean
do u think that all this perfectness happened by an accident
or do u think many different gods decided to work together
cuz if they did they would have ther OWN oppinions
so everythign would not be so perfectly created
lol
umn i beielive in only one God and non other but 1
not 3 not 3 in 1
but JUST 1
my oppinion
lol
or i mena my religion
hehehe
u have to suddy different religions and see the best one standin out
but only if u wan to change
if u want to talk more about the subject
if i can help
u can pm me
hhehe
we feidns right?
^^

Rageling
07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Why does one need a beleif structure? Can't one have their own ad-hoc beliefs?
Some people may be able to but in the end most people will develop an over all system of beliefs. It's only human nature to set up a consistant philosophy on life.

famous
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
well cuz if evryone follows somethign different
ther would be so much violence
more than there is in the world
if ppl only took the time to understand each other and eachother's belifs
lol
and not try to tak over the worl that
is
lol
htere would be so much peace

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
That's what I was trying to explain, we all need a belief structure even if it's not necessarily a religion but that religion does serve that purpose.
Everyone needs structured thoughts, not a believe structure. I don't believe in gravity because I read it in a book, I believe in gravity because I've never observed any reactions between myself and the earth that can't be explained with Gravity. I've never flown into the air, therefore gravity exists. However, the most important part of any logical construct is being falsifiable. If I fly into space for no reason, gravity is obviously flawed as a concept. That's my problem with religion. Un-falsifiable.

famous
07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
r u so sure or have checked every reigion?
i know one
u need to read and research more

Ollie
07-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Until we know for sure how life began and know for sure what happens and where we go when we die...yes. Because people need religion to explain to them what they cannot understand, and humans take comfort in knowing that we can go to paradise or start life anew after dying, and that we may have a purpose in existing.

'Til all those needs are filled in scientifically or no longer needed by a majority, we need religion. Not me personally, though.

r u so sure or have checked every reigion?
i know one
u need to read and research moreUhm, no? It's not necessarily. Religion is faith; you don't need proof and almost every time you can't prove something either way. You just believe in it.

Eris
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Until we know for sure how life began and know for sure what happens and where we go when we die...yes. Because people need religion to explain to them what they cannot understand, and humans take comfort in knowing that we can go to paradise or start life anew after dying, and that we may have a purpose in existing.

'Til all those needs are filled in scientifically or no longer needed by a majority, we need religion. Not me personally, though.
Uhm, no? It's not necessarily. Religion is faith; you don't need proof and almost every time you can't prove something either way. You just believe in it.

We're never going to know for sure. It's like asking how it feels to kiss own your back. We can make more or less plausible theories, but you're never going to know for sure---it's simply impossible to say.

saskie
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Um... When you have no knowledge or people to turn... The only thing you have left is your beliefs. That's what my teacher told me =P and I agree. Therefore I believe it is necessary.

Masali
07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
The question is "Is it necessary". The Answer is No. No discussion is needed. If it were necessary, all atheists would be extinct.

Ollie
07-03-2006, 09:34 PM
We're never going to know for sure. It's like asking how it feels to kiss own your back. We can make more or less plausible theories, but you're never going to know for sure---it's simply impossible to say.Which means it's going to stay necessary. Yep.

Death~Alchemist
07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Matters.
I look at religion to be stepping stones to help guide you through life.(I am a buddhist and a Shintoist)
Life is a very hard/dangerous/scary place, but we all have to face it and ourself.

Cantelope
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Whether any religion is right or wrong really doesn't matter, but in all major religions today, in each one lies an important factor. Religion, in my opinion, is made by man, as an attempt to instill morals, and the interest of the greater good into all people. Now, humanity doesn't NEED religion to survive, but it certainly helps. As long as people believe they'll go to hell if they rob a bank, and murder folks, I'm fine with it. BUT, religion DOES cause problems, when beliefs begin to conflict, and taking things to the extreme. But WITHOUT religion, people MIGHT be less hesitant to do things that are morally wrong.

Of course, that's when FEDERAL LAW comes in. I believe we'd be better off without religion, but apparently there's a huge need for people to believe there is a higher power controlling their lives, and they'll get benefits for being a good person, and will occasionally have their lives saved, or something. Get real.

Tigris
07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
The real question here is not 'Is Religion Necessary?', but 'Is This Topic Necessary?'.
Sorry for sounding likae a jerk, but you need to search the forums more. The multitude of religion threads are...out of control. They make me sick. Not because of the topic; it is because of the lack of competent users and the fact that every single one catches more fire than California's woods...

As the topic questions...
I belive religion is as necassary as it means to you. Churches are compositions of wood and stone. They are not God. I believ as long as you do what is right, then you will go to heaven. But I am Catholic. Maybe I am wrong and the Satanists, or the Muslims, or the Lutherans, etc. are right. I do not care. All I know is what I believe and whatever the consequences/rewards are, I am ready to accept them...

viewtyjoe
07-04-2006, 01:10 AM
The basic goal of religion is to set up a system of virtues such that the people who believe in this religion continue to thrive in the world. Example: What's the first command from God in the Bible? "Be fruitful and multiply." If that ain't setting up a system of self-propagation, then I don't know what is. What's dangerous is when people ignore what their religion says in order to use that religion for immoral acts. Example: according to the Koran, Jews and Christians are also believers, although not true believers like Muslims, and therefore are to be treated with respect and equality. When people ignore important things like that, then religion suddenly is responsible for a lot of the nastier things that have happened in the world.

Is religion necessary? Probably not. Is it useful? Heck yes it is. How were the "barbarians" in Europe conquered? They converted. How did Western civilization manage to make it out of the dark ages? Catholicism, oddly enough. What is most of the great Renaissance arts' subjects? Religious figures. If religion served no purpose, it would have died during the Enlightenment.

White Wolf Of Solomon
07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
do you think that you your being your actions your good deeds are all spawned from your brain?,or do you think it goes deeper and that you have a soul?,if you think that it is only your brain than your being will die with you

KIBAX
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
I don't think it is neccesary for life to prosper. I am not really religious and I seem to be fine. I think that it is definatly holding some of the world together. People do need something to believe in to keep them going(I am not saying that God is not real), and sometimes God is all they have left to believe in. I am a christian just not a very.....powerful believer? I do try to do whats right but sometimes I just do what is easy.

Vash the Flash
07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
I beleive religion can change one's personality for the good or for the bad.

Sakura Holic
07-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Well. I don't have a religion. My grandparents (both sides) are budhist(sp?)
So..like son and daughter..they have to follow the religion right?
Well..that's what I think....but my mom and dad didnt go to the temple and study and w/e budhist(sp?) gata doo...
But I believe in god. ^ ^
But I don't think it matters to me. I mean...people are all the same. But different colors. But we all have the same situation/personalities/hard life/bad times
And none of us are perfect. So lets not be racist here. Because, what ever religion you have, no matter what color, you and I are always the same.

JoeiAtreides
07-04-2006, 03:36 AM
First of all.. i really don't intend to be offensive.. please forgive me if my words offense you...
Umm... in my country.. there's a song said like this...
"do you really honestly worship your God..
if there's no heaven and hell, would you still worship your God..
because God is properly be worshiped"
(i hope my english is right)
i guess there're some reason WHY we have to workship the God..
i do believe my own belief.. and so other..
so i dont want to say my reasons here.. pm me if you want to know..

i believe that we, humans, need a guide or a reason to live..
such as religion, work, game, our family, friends, movie stars, anime characters, or others..
i've studied some of humans' reasons of live and i learn that most of religious person can live (or die) in happiness
i'm also have studied some religion.. because i'm also curious why religion is necessary
(i cant just accepted the words "just believe it! it's true! that's what you have to know!" without any proof or explaination)
Well short story... just want to say religion is necessary because God is exist, and you will find the true happiness (happy ever after) if you walk on God's way...

if you curious why we have to workship the God.. maybe you can ask some priests on your environment.. (because every religion have their own priest, and i don't intend to say my belief is right)

Krsnik
07-04-2006, 04:12 AM
For my own reasons and beliefs, I believe religion is necessary. To quote Weigraff, "God was created out of man's insecurities." With man comes legend, comes folklore, to explain the unexplained through divine creation of some sort. Humanity needs that extra reassurance so we're not always wondering what created who, and who created what. That's my personal look at it.

cherryblosmes
07-04-2006, 04:30 AM
well i personaly think that if i had no relegion i would be lost. cuz sometimes i need to belive that there is a higher power than me that there is someone i can go to in times of hard days. and sometimes i need to be reminded of the right from wrong. if i kept going it'll never end but i guess thats how i feel like when i instantly read something like this. i like this topic good u started it lol ^^

Martherus
07-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Sometimes when people belief in God (or something else), it gives them the strenght the continue their life.. see the world different.

But others that believe really hard in God, and they torture theirself.. And think that is what God wants..

So, It's hard to say. actually.. I don't know. ^^"

JoeiAtreides
07-04-2006, 06:07 AM
But others that believe really hard in God, and they torture theirself.. And think that is what God wants..

yups.. i've seen that....
but at least.. they die in happiness???

Tsuna Kadiri
07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Some people need the structure to help them keep their lives and morals organized. I've seen family members turn to the church when they are going through pretty tough times. And, it helps them. Helps reconnect to morals and values through a time when their judgement might be clouded and aren't able to think reasonably by themselves.

But, there are other people that don't feel that religion does them any good. Some people feel more comfortable creating their own values and ideas of God, or if they choose not to believe in God, that works too.

So, even though I think religion gets in the way of alot of things, it does give certain people a sense of security when they can't find it anywhere else. And everyone needs that feeling of security, whether you find it in God or find it in science. So I do think religion is necessary in some aspects.

Buruku
07-04-2006, 12:17 PM

If so, why?

If not, Why not?

hm, religion nessesary for human life to prosper....
No, I really am thinking about this, and I dont think it so. There are people who simply dont believe in god because it cant be proved, there is no scientific explenation, its based purely on whether you choose to believe it or not, not on hard facts, and a lot of these types of people are the ones that HELP human life prosper, why? Because they want genuin answers, they want scientific results, they want PROOF, these things have gotten us a lot, and yes we have prospered because of it, so religion is not NESSESSARY, (thats the key word) for humanity to prosper. And I am by no means saying that religious people are incapable of these things as well.

Your second question was whether a 'divine presence' is what keeps the world togather. woohoo, hardly. I'd say it was just the opposite, take a look at all these wars going on just on the account of this. If anything religion has been the cause.
So no, religion does not keep the world togather, FACTS, keep the world togather. Why? because facts are something EVERYONE can rely on. Theres no argument, thats simply how it is, therefore no fighting.

I will say that I am a christian, I believe in God, but that doesnt take away my ability to rationalize. Ernest Hemingway once said "All thinking men are atheists" and I'm sure a great deal of you would raise your glass to those words, but there have been religious people who have had great minds and awesome problem solving skills too and blah blah de bleh dfshofjapsf.

PigFarts
07-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Even though I consider myself an atheist, I think Religion is necessary. Remember, for any of you who have read my posts in "what's your religion" threads, the reason I have no faith is because it was never pressured on me, mostly because my parents divorced when I was younger and I haven't gone to church regularly in 10 years.

I think it's necessary because it gives people something to believe in and hope. If things are rough, some christians will pray to God or believe that Jesus will be there to get them through, and I admire that. I think having faith in a higher being and believing that a messiah will help you pull through any obstacle you face is a great thing. To me, it's a shame that I lost my faith and don't believe in a God anymore, but if I did, I would thank him for all of my successes and wish for him to be there for me, in spirit, if something goes wrong.

But all in all, it's not completely necessary, because it's not like you'll die without it, but I still think that is is a necessary to believe in something.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
do you think that you your being your actions your good deeds are all spawned from your brain?,or do you think it goes deeper and that you have a soul?,if you think that it is only your brain than your being will die with you
And?

Capo
07-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Well think of this way,
Without religion, and the belief that something better comes after death what would todays morals be like? Would there be a reason to behave? Without the solid belief in -something- people would be lost in the wonder of "why?" To many questions are out there to be answered, without a solid base to refer to something to hold on to, to believe in, what would civilation come to? Some people need that guidance. That -something- so look to when everything has gone wrong.
But that's just me rambling on....
-!Capo!-

Myst Taylor
07-04-2006, 03:24 PM
No, atheism is not a religion. By definition religion is the beleif in a higher being, or higher beings, deities. Atheism is a philosophy, and a philosophy is pretty much what you described; a way to lead and structure your life.If that is true, then it is impossible to say that Buddhism, Humanism, Taoism and Confucianism and countless other 'religions' are religions as such because they do not believe in the higher being.

IMO, I think religions is up to the believer. It is up to them whether they want to ruin their life believing something that others think does not exist. But it is on these grounds that I believe atheists should respect those who have a faith even just a little because I think it's quite hard to keep it up.

Eris
07-04-2006, 03:49 PM
If that is true, then it is impossible to say that Buddhism, Humanism, Taoism and Confucianism and countless other 'religions' are religions as such because they do not believe in the higher being.

IMO, I think religions is up to the believer. It is up to them whether they want to ruin their life believing something that others think does not exist. But it is on these grounds that I believe atheists should respect those who have a faith even just a little because I think it's quite hard to keep it up.

They are indeed not religions, but philosophies, even though there is for an instance Religious Taoism---which recognizes deities.

Which means it's going to stay necessary. Yep.

I can see the necessity for some sort of philosophy, be it science or religion, but not the necessity for religion to exist per se.

Myst Taylor
07-04-2006, 04:00 PM
They are indeed not religions, but philosophies, even though there is for an instance Religious Taoism---which recognizes deities.

I can see the necessity for some sort of philosophy, be it science or religion, but not the necessity for religion to exist per se.I agree with you there (but I didn't know there was religious Taoism... Hm... That's new.)

Eris
07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
All hail wikipedia.

Myst Taylor
07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
No hail to wikipedia! It sugared up my Biology research. (<--- Off topic)

BTW, why do people believe?

Ollie
07-04-2006, 04:55 PM
BTW, why do people believe?The simplest answer:

Because they need to.

Nighthawk
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I dont think religion is needed to behave morally. Moral behaviour comes from yourself, if you need someone to tell you what to do all you do is following rules. Behaving morally on your own, now thats the real deal. Now, some people need a religion, so it is necessary to some, not to me, but were free to choose :p

Dr.McDoom!
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with you there (but I didn't know there was religious Taoism... Hm... That's new.)
No, it's not new at all. It's the previous version of Budhism, over 2000 years ago.

-ontopic
Not to say that religion is a good thing, but, some humans just need something to hang on to. Personally, i hang on facts, objects, persons etc. Anyway, things that exist (and possibly bring me a benefit). It's hard to rely on such things/persons, for they might not allways bring you a benefit, and they can die/be destroyied.
Such a thing as a God with endless benefit and immortality would be the ideal thing to generate hope/reassurance. However, there can be no such being in this world. But inside a human's mind, it can do miracles. The Human Mind, actually being the endless/omnipotent.
I've seen a lot of religious/philosofical quotes. And i would like to add my very own:
"The power of a God is to destroy. The power of a human is to create. ~ Dr.McDoom!" XD Ha! Remember me!
Anyway, even when one discoveres there is no god, one won't loose hope and balance like he never had a god, because he'd be more like: "Wow, i'm the best! I don't need any gods, now that i know they don't exist."
In other words, even the thought that there is a religion that you don't respect; you, however, tend to better without it, but are actually stimulated by it(wether you choose to respect it or not).

Eris
07-04-2006, 05:27 PM
The simplest answer:

Because they need to.

How does disaffected nihilists fit into that picture?

FarEastStyle
07-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't have a religion Im nondenominational, I believe in what the Bible teaches.You can't go wrong following what the Bible teaches because its not changed and water down through the years with religion.

There are to many different religions that have no real meaning.
It just seprerates people for no reasons but tradition, religion follows tradition.
Many people can't tell you why they are a follower of their religion besides it being traditional. In order to be a believer in God you don't need to be title under a religion.

Eris
07-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't have a religion Im nondenominational, I believe in what the Bible teaches.You can't go wrong following what the Bible teaches because its not changed and water down through the years with religion.

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear." -- Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Just because it's old doesen't mean it's right.

taiya
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Religion is important but to me, the only reason why it started was because human beings at first had NO IDEA how they got into the world so instead, they start making up stuff about gods being the creators and stuff. then the story changes over time and becomes many. its so confusing to me, i mean i watched this show about how the earth was forme and it made way more sense then gods and stuff. i mean how come theres no magic but theres gods? not fair and it makes no sense to me. but hey its only my opinion i could be wrong.

Keitaru-san
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM
i always say religion is not bad, just the people using it wrong way.

and if you look back, religions helped people and created lots of civillization and caltures and traditions. without religion you wouldnt get christmas presents.

Eris
07-04-2006, 06:27 PM
i always say religion is not bad, just the people using it wrong way.

and if you look back, religions helped people and created lots of civillization and caltures and traditions. without religion you wouldnt get christmas presents.

Yeah, christmas presents, that really outweighs the ages of wars and gruesome torture and persecution it has contributed to humanity.

Tetsanosuke
07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Woah.... Hmmm. Well I myself believe is something a bit different then most religions. You could say it's "my own". But I will not state my beliefs publicly, because it may not be taken to lightly. If you wish to inquire about what I believe just PM me. (Not to mention I follow the code of Bushido along with my beliefs) -Off topic

Anywho, in this world of diverse peoples we can find many reasons to "why this", or "how that" and what have you...and I agree with many of you previous posters. People made religion to explain the unknown and baisically control others (from a man to control man, for better or worse). A long time ago, a bumb in the night would be explained by evil spirit or such things. Now we use logic to explain the little things, but the unexplicable question still remain, and people need a code or system to follow whether it be one from a religion or his/herself.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, christmas presents, that really outweighs the ages of wars and gruesome torture and persecution it has contributed to humanity.
But we get stuff. My short term gain of consumer goods out ways the slow, painful deaths of some Italian Jews and other assorted folks. All that took place like A BILLION YEARS AGO. The most important thing is that I get all the CD’s and candy I want.

Keitaru-san
07-04-2006, 06:58 PM
No hail to wikipedia! It sugared up my Biology research. (<--- Off topic)

BTW, why do people believe?
without believe you become empty, and so your life. great things happen becouse of beliefs also lots of horrible thing to match it up.

FarEastStyle
07-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Just because it's old doesen't mean it's right. In that time that was right for them.
You see law becomes arbitrary, based on opinions and social norms. In some societies cannibalism is considered normal.
In many ancient societies slave prostitution and human sacrifice were normal. That has nothing to do with religion that was their law.
You see theres a deference with Old Testament Law and New Testament Law
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." -Ephesians. 6:1
nuff said for now, if need be I'll add more later.

Eris
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
In that time that was right for them.
You see law becomes arbitrary, based on opinions and social norms. In some societies cannibalism is considered normal.
In many ancient societies slave prostitution and human sacrifice were normal. That has nothing to do with religion that was their law.
You see theres a deference with Old Testament Law and New Testament Law
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." -Ephesians. 6:1
nuff said for now, if need be I'll add more later.

It's really hard to base your life off something that contradicts itself. It's essentially the same people, why should we not stone our children to death today? After all, god tells us to.

Ollie
07-04-2006, 07:23 PM
How does disaffected nihilists fit into that picture?How many people are disaffected nihilists out of all the people on the planet? Small fractions might as well be inexistent, because no one really cares what they think.

You can't go wrong following what the Bible teaches because its not changed and water down through the years with religion....What the hell are you talking about? Are you stupid, or just really ignorant?

The Old Testament has been around for more than 2,000 years, and the New Testament just a bit less. Do you seriously believe it's never been changed?!

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I was back at Evilbible.com. I found this one, It's priceless.
From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces. (2 Kings 2:23-24 NAB (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_%28King_James%29/2_Kings#Chapter_2))

Eris
07-04-2006, 08:09 PM
How many people are disaffected nihilists out of all the people on the planet? Small fractions might as well be inexistent, because no one really cares what they think.

How do you figure? That they exist proves that you can live without philosophy, and therefore that philosophy is not a necessity.

Keitaru-san
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
the only thing make religion bad is tereotypes.

if you wanna know about real religions stufy them, dont listen to media and newspapers.

i am muslim, but i did research and i found out most religion are quiete same, just peoples beliefs is different. i believe in other religions and i respect them.

famous
07-04-2006, 10:53 PM

Uhm, no? It's not necessarily. Religion is faith; you don't need proof and almost every time you can't prove something either way. You just believe in it.no i do not believe that
no offence
it is my religion
my religion
YOU CAN PREOVE IT
i mean every thing makes sence
if u studdy my religion
man it will change
just saying
and umn hmn
it is faith
but if God makes the world
which i know he did
then he made it perfect
he amde it in a way that everythign makes sence nto jsut belive
tha tis liek a move or a fairy tale
i du believ in adam an eve and all
but everyhtign makes sence the way i see it
i dunt jsut say it is this
i research
i eman
that is how it should be done

famous
07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Um... When you have no knowledge or people to turn... The only thing you have left is your beliefs. That's what my teacher told me =P and I agree. Therefore I believe it is necessary.God is all everyone has in my oppinon
cuz he is with us at all times

famous
07-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Um... When you have no knowledge or people to turn... The only thing you have left is your beliefs. That's what my teacher told me =P and I agree. Therefore I believe it is necessary.I believ God is all everyone has
cuz he is alwasy with us
he is everywhered

Please do not double post in the topics here. If you want to add something and no one has replied yet. Use the edit button and add it to your other post ~ Bean

Ami~chan
07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Religion isn't necessary for me. Really, if religion had never existed, I doubt we'd be any worse off.

Really, it depends on the person; some people cling to religion, as if it's their meaning and point in existance. And others, such as myself, don't really give a damn.

JoeiAtreides
07-05-2006, 12:25 AM
the only thing make religion bad is tereotypes.

if you wanna know about real religions study them, dont listen to media and newspapers.

i am muslim, but i did research and i found out most religion are quiete same, just peoples beliefs is different. i believe in other religions and i respect them.

agreed!
media and newspaper sometimes only see things from their side which usually when the mistake point comes out..
there're many religious people who made bad things out there but NOT the religion.. they just misunderstood the meaning of their religion..
i believe all religion lead people to bring peace..

Moon Helix Avatar
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I like having a belief, I like having higher powers to pray to at night. It is comforting, and well just feels right.

Ollie
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
How do you figure? That they exist proves that you can live without philosophy, and therefore that philosophy is not a necessity.I don't understand what you're asking me. Philosophy and religion are not the same. And that one in 103030 people does not need any sort of higher being or any big belief is hardly a relevant factor to look at, because...that's what we call an "ultimate democracy." The majority wins. If the vast majority of human beings need a philosophy or a religion or whatever, then humans in general need them.

poorly-spelled ramblingNo.

You can find "proof" of something you already believe in, but you have to believe in it already. Proof is only proof if it can be proved to the opposite side.

Rageling
07-05-2006, 11:56 PM
agreed!
media and newspaper sometimes only see things from their side which usually when the mistake point comes out..
there're many religious people who made bad things out there but NOT the religion.. they just misunderstood the meaning of their religion..
i believe all religion lead people to bring peace..
So if I decided to become a satanic cultist and make annual human sacrifices to my dark lord it would lead me to peace? Some religions are harmful and negative without being misunderstood.

Katrina_Survivor2
07-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, I actually do think religion is necessary. It gives alot of people a sense of morals. I do believe it is a crutch for alot of people, but it's better that some people walk on a crutch than for society to fall flat on its face.

In a perfect world, people would be able to have a set of morals without religion. People would be able to not do bad deeds, not for fear of eternal damnation (for example), but because the action is actually wrong. However, it's not a perfect world, and I don't think we will ever get to the point where we can function as a whole without religion. Hell, I don't even expect us to, it's a little much to ask.

This is not to say that religion should be brought into the running of society and government. I am talking about people on an individual level.

blackjak007
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Religion is not neccecary, merely an image we have held onto because we need someone to "guide" us to"freedom" and all that nonsense. You are not free if you are a slave to your religon. We need someone to blame for the **** we mess up. We also continue to do so because we think that if we stop, the "gods" will go all Vengeful Dead on us and bring around Doomsday, Ragnarok, Armeggedon, whatever you want to call it, because we do not understand the gods, and mankind fears what it does not understand...

Sagat
07-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I believ God is all everyone has
cuz he is alwasy with us
he is everywheredSpeak for your freaking self. I don't need some imaginary, ripped off God who lives in the clouds. If God is all you have, that is your weakness, not mine.

Eris
07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't understand what you're asking me. Philosophy and religion are not the same. And that one in 103030 people does not need any sort of higher being or any big belief is hardly a relevant factor to look at, because...that's what we call an "ultimate democracy." The majority wins. If the vast majority of human beings need a philosophy or a religion or whatever, then humans in general need them.
No.

They are not the same, but any religion is a philsophy, though philosophy is not a religion.

If you base your conclusions on what the vast majority does, you get flawed conclusions. Just because the vast majority hasn't come to a realization doesen't mean that people are unable to live that way. If the vast majority had tried to live without a philosophy (and failed), then you might begin to concider what you're taking for granted.

Grim Scythe
07-07-2006, 03:58 AM
it shouldnt be necessary
i see it as a way to keep the masses in line
its a crutch to get people through the day

note that im atheist

Ollie
07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
If you base your conclusions on what the vast majority does, you get flawed conclusions. Just because the vast majority hasn't come to a realization doesen't mean that people are unable to live that way. If the vast majority had tried to live without a philosophy (and failed), then you might begin to concider what you're taking for granted....What are you talking about? I don't get anything you are saying.

Also, have you ever read Brave New World?

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
...What are you talking about? I don't get anything you are saying.

Also, have you ever read Brave New World?

She's saying that the fact people are Religious doesn't mean people have to be, because most haven't tried living without. Also, all religions are philosophies insofar as they are structures upon which to live. However, religion has extra parts, like believing someone created you to follow that philosophy, and if you don't it makes them angry.

I have. Good Book. Made me wish society was like that.

famous
07-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't understand what you're asking me. Philosophy and religion are not the same. And that one in 103030 people does not need any sort of higher being or any big belief is hardly a relevant factor to look at, because...that's what we call an "ultimate democracy." The majority wins. If the vast majority of human beings need a philosophy or a religion or whatever, then humans in general need them.
No.

You can find "proof" of something you already believe in, but you have to believe in it already. Proof is only proof if it can be proved to the opposite side.there r certain things
once u learn u cannot tearn back
for example my mom used to be the same religion as u
it is kinda obvious wat u r ....i think
but then she converted
once she learned it
she cannot turn
back it is not liek a million God religion
it is just liek christianity is liek a sequal to juedisim
islam is a suqual to christianity

Sagat
07-08-2006, 01:12 PM
there r certain things
once u learn u cannot tearn back
for example my mom used to be the same religion as u
it is kinda obvious wat u r ....i think
but then she converted
once she learned it
she cannot turn
back it is not liek a million God religion
it is just liek christianity is liek a sequal to juedisim
islam is a suqual to christianityMy freakin god will you learn how to spell already, this is borderline retardation. If you're dyslexic or something use friggen spellcheck or something. I can't even figure out what you're trying to say other than this weird progression about Judaism > Christianity > Islam

Ollie
07-08-2006, 09:29 PM
My freakin god will you learn how to spell alreadyI have a better suggestion.

Famous, stop posting.

kthx! <3

Manhatten/Diesel:
Many of these people feel they have no reason to live other than to devote themselves to religion. For some it's like their...band-aid for a cut that cut turn infectious and kill them. And I know that's a terrible metaphor, but I can't figure out better one right now, I played too much DDR today.

Thirteenth
07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
I think Religion is totally unneccessary.. o_O I mean, we're all the same pretty much, what's having different beliefs going to do? Make everyone hate eachother, or kill eachother? Like how the Nazi thing was. It's almost as stupid as racism. Religion is basically something someone made up one day based on their opinion.. Some people don't even know why they're under a certain Religion, or even what the hell it is. They just follow it because they're told to.. :/

Gjallarhorn
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I told myself I would stay out of this thread. Blame this on my bordem.

I think Religion is totally unneccessary.. o_O I mean, we're all the same pretty much, what's having different beliefs going to do? Make everyone hate eachother, or kill eachother? Like how the Nazi thing was. It's almost as stupid as racism. Religion is basically something someone made up one day based on their opinion.. Some people don't even know why they're under a certain Religion, or even what the hell it is. They just follow it because they're told to.. :/ You nearly took the words right out of my mouth.

I see religion as entirely unnecessary. I can't think of a situation in which it is necessary. For what reason do we actually need it? Some could claim that it gives us morals. I argue that laws serve the purpose of giving us morals, as do our own experiences. And though religion preaches moral integrity, that is quite often not followed by humanity. "Thou shall not kill"? Bah! "Thou shalt not harm they neighbor"? Bah! It is almost self satisfactory. We claim to follow these beliefs, and yet we forget them 15 minutes after you're home from church/temple/whatever it is that your religion has. We all believe our religion is the one and only truth...Anyone else see a contradiction here? And then one could question the existance of the gods of these religions, which can't be argued to exist or not to exist, seeing as both sides lack enough evidence (though evidence wise, non-existance seems to have the advantage). I understand that some people are so down-trodden that they live just for their religion, but if your going to live for something, make it something/someone concrete, something or someone that is in front of you. From my atheistic point of view, why put all your faith in something which, most likely, isn't there in the first place?

Kaitou Dark
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Its just my opinion but I believe that every religion is wrong. Then again there is no proof that there is a divine presence but at the same time there is no proof that there isnt...but I personally believe that when you die you dont go anywhere special, you just rot in the ground...but thats just my opinion.

Cantelope
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Its just my opinion but I believe that every religion is wrong. Then again there is no proof that there is a divine presence but at the same time there is no proof that there isnt...but I personally believe that when you die you dont go anywhere special, you just rot in the ground...but thats just my opinion.
You my friend, are somewhere caught in between athiest and agnostic. Closer to athiest though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
You my friend, are somewhere caught in between athiest and agnostic. Closer to athiest though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

BlackLanternTL
07-10-2006, 09:59 PM
to tell u truth i have been weighing this in my mind as well. but i'm glad someone else asked it

Cantelope
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism
No, being a middle man is cheating. CHEATING.

Thirteenth
07-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Haha. I agree with you on the rotting in the ground thing, Kagome's Stalker[Nice name.] And as for what Xero said, it'd be better to believe in something that WAS real. Not something someone told you was real, or that it's the best thing to do or believe in. I'm not really one for believing in any kind of God or heaven or anything, so when you DO die, you're basically stuffed in a box and burried underground, your soul is lost forever :/

Seldrima
07-11-2006, 04:29 AM
I believe religion is a safety net for those who are scared of death. They need something to make the death a good thing. I myself am religous and find it somewhat less "scary" to think that there is an afterlife of which is taught about.

It helps to settle fears. Also gives us an "Answer" to questions we are not sure of. Personally I'd rather like to think i'll go to heaven/hell than end up in darkness or everything will just stop.

Therefore I think in some cases it is necessary.

~Seldy~

Keitaru-san
07-11-2006, 07:26 AM
im muslim but i have some buddhist thoughts.

and thats humans are powerfull, god exist for you if you believe in, humans mind is very powerful and like i said if you really believe in something its possible.

and for me, i dont like to be just another bieng like piece of meat without soul and die and rot, and if you dont believe in soul well i do and i seen souls 3 of them in fact so dont tell me they dont exist. and souls are human's spirit, if you say there is no soul then u say there is no spirit without spirit your gone.

thats all.

DemonToaster
07-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Religion is nowhere near neccesary. It causes more problems then it solves.

Keitaru-san
07-11-2006, 08:16 AM
yes weapons also made to solve problems(defending and hunting) but now....

its human nature to use and abuse anything possible.

Thirteenth
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM

That's a REALLY good point you've just made. Weapons have become a little out-of-hand these days. But we're getting off topic.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM

All life does that. It's not a "human" thing.

Keitaru-san
07-11-2006, 03:39 PM
well u dont see a chicken wire other checkens testical and electricute it.

animal do things on instinct....humans we got freedom of choice.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
well u dont see a chicken wire other checkens testical and electricute it.

animal do things on instinct....humans we got freedom of choice.
That's because chickens are A) especially docile and stupid herbivores and B) Haven't got testicle-electrocuting technology.

Any animal will abuse a condition that benefits it. How long do you think a three-legged antelope would last on the Serengeti? Do you think a hyena would give it quarter? Maybe decide to go after a four legged one to give the three-legged one a chance? Please.

Unfortunately, man is a very, very natural animal. They have the potential to be something greater, but almost all fail. And more's the pity.

Keitaru-san
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
loooooooooooooooool hahahaha your funny man i like ye.

but on seriousness, people should keep their religion to themselves, not like those jehovas witnesses come knock on your door.

and then again everyone got their own opinion which they should keep it in themselves..otherwise arguements starts and war..or even worse civil war.

so as for me, i dont really car much about others but if someone attack my religion and beliefs i would defend my religion and beliefs, becuase im a good person and i do right thing..and i dont like bieng generelised by other becuase some nutter goes around and do stupid stuff and everyone blame that religion not him.

Tetsanosuke
07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
That's because chickens are A) especially docile and stupid herbivores and B) Haven't got testicle-electrocuting technology.Not only that, chickens are female! the rooster is the male of the two....

Anyway, I read all of these posts and I see the majority don't think religion is neccesary... A very potent thought in this world isn't it?

But as we all know, whether we think it's neccesary or not, their are many people out there that seem to hold on the their religion like a child holding on to it's mother.
Also, misunderstand between religions and human greed are, at least in my opinion, the cause of religious wars and conflits. Religion has been and is still used to control others and enforce morals (whether they are good or Bad generally) upon the masses.
Think of a religious group like an ant colony, they follow a set pattern of life and defend that set way of life from intruders. Also they may try to force their set pattern on other colonies (whether ants attack other ants or not, I'm not really sure) to expand their:
A;resources
B:man power
CIn the human case) wealth.
(If that was a bad Metaphor then I apologize.)

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Not only that, chickens are female! the rooster is the male of the two....
The word "chicken" is gender neutral.

Synonyms
(bird): cock (male only), chook, hen (female only), rooster (male only)

Hen and chook are words for female chickens. Not chicken.

famous
07-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Speak for your freaking self. I don't need some imaginary, ripped off God who lives in the clouds. If God is all you have, that is your weakness, not mine.weakness?
hahaa
u make me laugh
that is very funny
man
ur good
NOT
lol
umn yeah
that is my advantage
if u want to die and go to an iternety of flames
that is your weakness

loko sesshomaru
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If your going tp make a reply please do so. The above isn't even close ~ Bean

Sagat
07-17-2006, 02:59 PM
weakness?
hahaa
u make me laugh
that is very funny
man
ur good
NOT
lol
umn yeah
that is my advantage
if u want to die and go to an iternety of flames
that is your weaknessSo I am destined to an eternity of flames for not believing what you believe? You are precisely why I have such a burning hatred for Christianity.

There is so much more I want to say. There is such a scathing attack I want to start on your religion .. but will not. God help you if you or anyone else in your ill-begotten faith were to say this to my face.

Cantelope
07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Repent Sagat, repent!!

Sabrina Elric
07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Religon is a rather difficult subjected but I beleive that we need religion. We need to beleive in God because what would we do. There is no way that I am going to start to beleive that science is the answer to everything.

Ether
07-17-2006, 05:52 PM
religion is not a necesity, I supose.

Eris
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
So I am destined to an eternity of flames for not believing what you believe? You are precisely why I have such a burning hatred for Christianity.

If you havn't already read it, you're really going to love Nietzsche's "The Antichrist" (e-book here (http://www.fns.org.uk/ac.htm)).

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Religon is a rather difficult subjected but I beleive that we need religion. We need to beleive in God because what would we do. There is no way that I am going to start to beleive that science is the answer to everything.
Yeah, except that people do live just fine without. Ignorance of your place in the world does not mean that a deity must exist to give you purpose.

Also, unlike Religion, Science is not supposed to be an end. It doesn't give all the answers, and was never intended to. It wasn’t meant to replace religion. Could it? Not really.

Science is based in using logic to deduce a better understanding of the physical realm. Religion is based on believing in a Deity to give one better understanding of the spiritual realm. However, I can’t blindly believe in something just because someone tells me it’s true. I want verifiability.

Therefore, I believe in Agnosticism mixed with parts of Deism. A deity, if he exists, did not create earth by act of special creation, much less man, and he either does not care about earth, or refuses to act. However, there is no evidence supporting or disproving the existence of said deity, and therefore, his existence is a moot point. I live therefore, appreciating the world in spite of its inequities, and trying to carve out a niche matching my abilities. Then I intend to reproduce, and die as an old man, secure in the knowledge that I did as well as anyone. Do I think an afterlife exists? No. Does that bug me? No. Who wants to live forever?

famous
07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
So I am destined to an eternity of flames for not believing what you believe? You are precisely why I have such a burning hatred for Christianity.

There is so much more I want to say. There is such a scathing attack I want to start on your religion .. but will not. God help you if you or anyone else in your ill-begotten faith were to say this to my face.

oh no sir

i do not believe umn that just cuz ur not my religion u have an eternity of flames

i was how do u say it

i was just posting a come back

anyway

umn no i believe that God is the best to judge us all

he knows best who is good and bad

it does not matter what religion u r

cuz ur parents have brought u up that way

so it is not ur fault

and i also do not believe

that just cuz Adam and Eve ate that apple

we all have sins

cuz everyone is a pure baby at some time

he is not born with sin

and also we do not need God's son to forgive us

we need God to forgive us

Because God is one

not 2 or 3

and any had a chance at heaven as long as he does the best he can

i do not believe that u will not go to heaven just because you are Christian or a Jew or a Muslim

anyone has a chance at it

you need to read the Qur'an

it will open your mind up

seriously

i am telling u this as a friend i guess

and one more thing

i do not believe in when someone slaps u

that u need to turn and let him slap u again

this is an interesting talk we have
we should be friends
^^

Seyia
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Religion=war=death

famous
07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Religion=war=deathyou=disaster=distruction=dumbnes s=unhappiness
whats your problem man?.. you have a problem with religion? ( then i suggest you fix it)

Religion=warshiping=happiness=heaven

Eris
07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
you=disaster=distruction=dumbness=unhappiness
whats your problem man?.. you have a problem with religion? ( then i suggest you fix it)

Religion=warshiping=happiness=heaven

Uh, and the crusades were completely unrelated to religion?

famous
07-17-2006, 08:32 PM
they killed people
islam does not allow killing
and guess who was being killed by the crusaders?
muslim ( people who were following islam)
they were innocent
the crusaders kill and there for i do not beleive they were with any religion but saton's religion

Eris
07-17-2006, 08:35 PM
they killed people
islam does not allow killing
and guess who was being killed by the crusaders?
muslim ( people who were following islam)
they were innocent
the crusaders kill and there for i do not beleive they were with any religion but saton's religion

I was under the impression that Islam is an "upgrade" of Christianity so to speak--that Muhammad is another in a long line of prophets (including Jesus and Moses).

famous
07-17-2006, 09:06 PM
it is
but see religions have changed over time without the original text to support it
right now there are so many different versions of the bible
you know?
but islam is a completion of the true christianity
and it always has the original text with it unlike the bible which has changed over years

i mean beleivig God has a son
that means there are 2 Gods
that is an awful thing to say
and if he has a son, why would he let him die?
i mean God is the merciful, the best.
if there were 2 gods there would be an argument in our creation and we would have lots of problems and issues
cuz who could create such a peacfull place with perfect unity and beauty
besides isn't Adam and Eve created the same way Jesus was
so that means we are all decendents of God
if so does that mean we are brotheren and sisters with insects and animals
anyway
if we are all his children
why should he liek one more than the other
thats why i say there is one God not 2
not a father not a son
just one

__Jesse__
07-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey Sagat, there ARE some of us good Christians out there. You gotta understand that the people who follow this religion vary in thoughts, perspectives, and personality very greatly. People who follow this religion that I cannot stand: Evangelists that are only after peoples' money, Hypocritical "I'm so perfect" type people that instead of actually following the religion spend their time criticizing others, people who are megalomaniacs and try to turn the religion into some sort of social heiarchy (looking down on others who come to chruch dressed less extravagently than they are, looking down on people with less money who don't put as much money in the collection plate as them, use positions and extra church activities as a way to be better than others and look down on those that only come to chruch to worship and leave at the end of the service, and basically trying to incorporate stupid high school social standards into the church), overly fanatical Christians who seem to have forgotton what the religion is really about and spend their time attacking things they think are satanic trying to make big deals over stupid crap (like those people who were calling Harry Potter, Pokemon, and a bunch of other stuff satanic. A good example of this would be Jack Thompson, even though I don't think he's ever called a videogame satanic, but he uses his Christian views as a reason for doing what he does), politicians who use Christianity as a tool to help them in their campaign, and many other people who make a bad name for other Christians.

Notice all the different kinds of Christians that I don't like that I listed are all commiting sins in their own faith based on the reasons I don't like them. Not only that, but they think that what their doing is good for the Christian religion.

These kinds of Christians that I listed make it really hard for good Christians to find a decent church. The church I used to go to was really nice looking, big, and had alot of money put into it. All the people there dressed really nice. They had all kinds of programs like Sunday school services for every different age group, a large youth group that went on vacations to all kinds of different places multiple times per year, many different extra programs to be a part of, nice dinners for the people attending the church were served quite often, and they even had an after school daycare for kids as well as a nursery for babies. Top that off with a huge and talented choir and a large church staff and you have yourself a great church, right? WRONG. The people there were so snobby and egotistic, they would sneer at people whose cloths were not as expensive or nice as theirs, if someone put less money in the collection plate because they could not afford to put more in they were looked down on, if you weren't in all kinds of extra programs the chruch had you were also looked down upon, they even would talk about people behind their backs! These people were adults, too! The church did have one really good thing going for it, though. It had a GREAT preacher, who was down to Earth, funny, nice, caring, and really took the religion very seriously. He looked down upon no one and treated everybody as equals. He was one of the types who was there to preach about God and make sure we all knew exactly why we should praise God so much and even explained into detail why God would frown upon each sin and he even adressed some things I didn't even know were true sins. He wasn't fanatical or overly conservative either, when my brother got married, he called him and his wife into his office and started explaining the great things about marriage to them, even going into the subject of sex. His exact words were something like: "Now that you are married there is nothing you cannot consentually do together that is a sin, I want you two to know that I hope you two have GREAT sex!" Not to mention when my brother asked him to perform his wedding for him he let no personal engagements stop him. He even left the church because of the way the people were and started his own from scratch. The church was ment to bring things back to the basics of true Christianity. His idea was a church where no one cared what you were wearing (people even come in jeans and a t-shirt, and girls are allowed to wear pants, unlike the other one wear they were expected to wear long skirts only) and were just glad you came to worship God. He didn't have all that many people follow him out of the church, so he had difficulties doing it, but the people attending it are actually doing things to help, things that aren't in some "extra program", just real things to really help whenever possible. Needless to say I now attend his chruch. We don't even have a building yet, they are trying to finance that right now. They don't care how big or extravagent the building is, as long as it's fit for worshiping. As a matter of fact, they are currently holding the service in the lunchroom of the high school in my town.

Sorry, I know it's a long post, I just felt the need to adress some of the views people have of Christians, most which are because of those Christians that have made a bad name for us. But I completely understand why non-Christians see Christians the way they do, but I thought you all should know that we are not all like that.

famous
07-18-2006, 12:35 AM
yeah i agree with you about the harry potter and pokemon thingi
yeha
you watch it
does not mean
u have to beleive it

famous
07-18-2006, 12:46 AM
The real question here is not 'Is Religion Necessary?', but 'Is This Topic Necessary?'.
Sorry for sounding likae a jerk, but you need to search the forums more. The multitude of religion threads are...out of control. They make me sick. Not because of the topic; it is because of the lack of competent users and the fact that every single one catches more fire than California's woods...

As the topic questions...
I belive religion is as necassary as it means to you. Churches are compositions of wood and stone. They are not God. I believ as long as you do what is right, then you will go to heaven. But I am Catholic. Maybe I am wrong and the Satanists, or the Muslims, or the Lutherans, etc. are right. I do not care. All I know is what I believe and whatever the consequences/rewards are, I am ready to accept them...do i know you?

Bean Bandit
07-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Please keep the spam and off-topicness out of this. I am trying to be nice and allow this thread, even tho I want to close it.

lex__luthor
07-18-2006, 10:57 AM
i think religion is necesary but it would be scary to think what it would be like if we had no religion

__Jesse__
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Please keep the spam and off-topicness out of this. I am trying to be nice and allow this thread, even tho I want to close it.Spam and offtopicness, really? Everything I've seen in these posts has pertained to religion (the only exception being yours). What would give you the urge to close this thread? Do you have something against the discussion of religion? I find that boarderline insulting. We are discussing a serious, mature, universally relavent topic, and yes, there have been some people posting immature posts that don't really contribute to the flow of conversation and some that have criticized others for their beliefs, but that's what makes it so great, it gives us the chance to witness to others and and educate those that may be ignorent with ideas and values they were not raised with. While you reserve the right to close this thread you know another one similar would be posted within a day. That's because it's in our nature to discuss such things with one another, seeking others who share a common view. So, like I was saying you definately reserve that right but it would only make people take this place less seriously.

By the way thank you for being so nice and allowing us to carry on an adult conversation. After all, it probably wouldn't bother you too much if we were all talking about our favorite kind of pocky right now, would it?

cherryblosmes
07-18-2006, 01:25 PM

i think religion is necessary cuz sometimes i need to feel that there is a higher power than me and that sometimes i need a guid to lead me to right way or to remind me to stay away from wrong or bad things. and also if i didnt have a religion i'd go crazy cuz there would be so much questions that wouldnt have answers like how earth was created how i was created. and i belive tht no one will ever help me more in times of crises or any other time other the God . so ya but thats my belive

well i tried to stay away from this thread as much as possible but i cant some wrong things have been said about my religion and i cant just stand there and leave poor famous alone so dont blame me ppl. famous hasnt asked anyone to belive in Islam he was just expressing his ideas or belives and he never said anyone else was wrong.

Sagat that was really mean " ill-begotten faith" thats not true. i love my religion the fact that is u dont like my religion doesnt mean u go off saying mean stuff about my religion i dont know what religion u r or if u have one that isnt any of my busness its urs . besides u said if u have something nice to say then say it if u dont then dont thats what u said to famous but here u r saying mean stuff about my religion. Sagat everyone have there belives some would love to have the rest of the world to belive in what they belive in like me but i cant make anyone do that its the other's own choices not my choices everyone has to carry there own consiconquences on there own shoulders. and im not saying that my religion is right i mean everybody belives that there religion is THE religion just like i do. but thats everybody. and besides if u think my religion ( Islam) is bad tell me whats so bad about it why do u want to raise a attack on it so much. maby i can help on explainning something or maby i cant and i'll just have to accept the fact that u dont like my religion just dont say bad stuff about it based on one side u heard or saw ya gota study it from all different views even if u dont get convinced by the other views at least u'll know that there is a good and peacful side. there always is a good peacful side to everything . i've studied some other religions and i found out why ppl might belive those things i mean i used to say that it was just weird that was there religion but now i kinda understand i mean everybody has a different prospective that they look at things from. so ya i really tried to stay away from this thread but i just had to .

Sagat
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
My replies are in orange because I'm too lazy to separate everything

i think religion is necessary cuz sometimes i need to feel that there is a higher power than me and that sometimes i need a guid to lead me to right way or to remind me to stay away from wrong or bad things.

That is because you yourself are not capable and/or strong of will of regulating your own behaviour.

and also if i didnt have a religion i'd go crazy cuz there would be so much questions that wouldnt have answers like how earth was created how i was created. and i belive tht no one will ever help me more in times of crises or any other time other the God . so ya but thats my belive

I see. So instead of attempting to discern these answers for what they are through science, you create fairy-tales and "filler" answers to soothe your soul.

well i tried to stay away from this thread as much as possible but i cant some wrong things have been said about my religion and i cant just stand there and leave poor famous alone so dont blame me ppl. famous hasnt asked anyone to belive in Islam he was just expressing his ideas or belives and he never said anyone else was wrong.

Leave poor Famous alone? Have you see the crap he's saying? Ignore his mind boggling spelling aside here, he is expressing the idea that I will burn in flames for not believing. So how the hell does that mean "he never said anyone else was wrong?"

Sagat that was really mean " ill-begotten faith" thats not true. i love my religion the fact that is u dont like my religion doesnt mean u go off saying mean stuff about my religion i dont know what religion u r or if u have one that isnt any of my busness its urs .

Oh, and I suppose it's permissable for someone to declare I'm going to hell for not believing, huh? Are you also one of these PC nuts? And I don't mean computer.

Sagat everyone have there belives some would love to have the rest of the world to belive in what they belive in

What a perfect world that would be.

and im not saying that my religion is right i mean everybody belives that there religion is THE religion just like i do. but thats everybody. and besides if u think my religion ( Islam) is bad tell me whats so bad about it why do u want to raise a attack on it so much.

I could have sworn I said Christianity. Don't want to know how you confused that with Islam but if you want to find out what is so bad about it just look at the problems in the Middle East for the last thousand years.

maby i can help on explainning something or maby i cant and i'll just have to accept the fact that u dont like my religion just dont say bad stuff about it based on one side u heard or saw ya gota study it from all different views even if u dont get convinced by the other views at least u'll know that there is a good and peacful side.

There you go assuming again, I am not surprised by now though. I've studied it and have two Islamic friends in the army and have heard their sides in this whole Islam-conflict thing going on in the world. I like Islam more than dislike it although again I am not sure how this got switched to Islam.

there always is a good peacful side to everything . i've studied some other religions and i found out why ppl might belive those things i mean i used to say that it was just weird that was there religion but now i kinda understand i mean everybody has a different prospective that they look at things from. so ya i really tried to stay away from this thread but i just had to .

Perhaps next time you will study science and find the true answers to things instead of believing elaborate tales to do it for you.
Finally:

By the way thank you for being so nice and allowing us to carry on an adult conversation. After all, it probably wouldn't bother you too much if we were all talking about our favorite kind of pocky right now, would it?Well said.

And to the bad repper: leave a name next time you baby.

famous
07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
yeah.
your right cherryblosmes
umn i think
that all ppl should read about all religions and then they would understand eachother
and maybe
they would all find the right religion
and also
umn yeah i have read about other religions too
and everythign makes sence to me

famous
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Science does not explain everything; the concept of evolution isn't even half the truth.

Were those "Islamic friends" of yours believers or just namely Islamic, also, do they believe in the concept of evolution? If so, then thats not what we call true Muslims, it has been said in the Qur’an that Humans were created from clay/earth!

Umn I tolled u I was just coming up with a comeback about the eternity of flames thing (I was being honest)

And besides did u not read what I said?

I was saying that everyone has a chance at heaven

Just have to be good

We can not judge who goes to heaven

ONLY God

ONLY him

He is the only one who can judge us

No one else

He is the best

He knows what we have done

If someone was born in a family that believed wrong

It is not their fault

So God can judge them

We cannot walk in God's territory

And sorry for the typos

I was in a hurry

They are mostly typos

Some were bad spellings

but mostly typos

but anyway

Fairy tales?

come on

It makes more sense that we were descended form Adam and Eve

than to say we were monkeys

and then we evolved to humans

It does not make sense that

The world was created by a big bang

lol

that is silly

one accident

and wow we are here

lol

I do not think so

God created us all

Cless Alvein
07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I study religion, many various ones, as a hobby. I was raised Christian, dated Wiccans, and my best friend for the past three years is Muslim. I'm well educated in Tao and Zen, and I'm familiar with the various religions of the East. I've studied the development and evolution of religion starting from the beginning of civilization; from Ancient Paganism into Christianity, Judaism and Islam in the Middle East. And if there is any "truth" I've found, it is this:

Faith brings us together.

Religion drives us apart.

These eight simple words speak volumes.

I won't presume to tell anyone WHAT to have Faith in. Different people NEED to believe in different things. That's reality, it's just how we are. But it just makes me sick all the hypocritical idiots who preach "Love God. Celebrate Life. And think and act exactly the way I think you should or suffer never-ending violence and death."

Not all religious people do this, but a small percentage is sufficient to create a huge problem.

I personally consider myself a Spiritual Humanist. It focuses on logic, faith in humanity, and having a sense of right and wrong and helping others without needing to rely on a deity for guidance.

In my case, however, I didn't need religion to teach me that.

What would give you the urge to close this thread? Do you have something against the discussion of religion? I find that boarderline insulting.

Religious topics are especially prone to spiraling out of control, and usually require more moderation than any other kind, relatively speaking. This thread has already exceeded the average life expectancy of such highly controversial subjects. Not because WE have something against religion, but because most people tend to have something against other people's views on it. That should be self-evident if you've read the posts up through this one.

famous
07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
oh.
interesting things you mentioned
well i do not think religion drives us apart
if we only studdied about each other
everyone does not do this
just some ppl

some ppl just go with the media and assume ppl in the middle east are terrrorist
wich infact
do they evern know what the ward means?
if they did
they would know if you kill
then you are a terrorrist
if they studdied religions
then they would know that it is agains islam to kill ppl
so the media is currupt
but anyway
i have friends of all religions
i enjoy religious talks
i like ppl who are religious
it really does not matter much too me what religion they are
but it is really nice that they are religious
i have friends of all religions
christianity
islam
Jewdisim
yeah
lol
and i forgot to ansere sagats question about the middle east
if anybody does somethign wrong that does not make the religion wrong
and besides alot of the problems, esspecially recently are when other countries like america decide they want the country to be just liek themselves
if other countries did not interfere it would be way better

cherryblosmes
07-18-2006, 08:59 PM
ur right about all what u said famous. i totaly agree with u and i agree with some of the stuff that Lance wisteria said. and AGAIN im not asking anyone to convert im just saying what i belive in i like this disscution. but Sagat i was pointing out something and i think it got to some ppl well but u on the other hand attacked me for no reasone and i was nice so that was no way of being civilized i never critisized wht u belive in. and famous may have u said u will burn in hell but then he cleared it up and whether u hold that as a grudge or not thats up to u. and if u have something nice to say then say if u dont then dont but if disagree with something i said u can express ur view in a more nicer way. and u cant tell me that im not strong or so i belive in what i belive and if u actually got into u it u might understand but u wont all ur doing is attacking and not giving a chance for u mind to think i told i dont care what u belive in its ur busniness i didnt call u dumb for what u belive in so u cant tell me im weak for wanting a god to exsit. and for some ppl u know if they didnt have a religion they'd DIE cuz they live on beliving that there is a god and they have a reasone to live. i mean some ppl live for god and if they didnt have a purpose to live they'd kill themselfs do u see how important religion is to some ppl it actually saves lives. and anyways i am stoping cuz all im gona get from is being offended and u r just going to keep attacking i was just having a discussion thats all.

Suki The Werecat
07-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Religion? Now adays seems more like a cult than anything about spirtual beliefs...if you don't fit their expectations...you public enemy number one mate....indeed a sad world we live in....

Eris
07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Religion? Now adays seems more like a cult than anything about spirtual beliefs...if you don't fit their expectations...you public enemy number one mate....indeed a sad world we live in....

Now adays? That's how it's been for a very (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades) long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition) time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchhunts).

famous
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM
well said
very good
the guy does keep on attacking you
he is being mean
he sould be nicer
do not worry
i do not think u will be liek offended
not as long as ther is oine person that is agreeing with you
you know?

cherryblosmes
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM
yeah that is true totaly true............ i wish it werent ( about religion being a cult and stuff) ya i know what u mean famous

Purple Princess
07-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, firstly, it's a good way to control people. Tell them God made you king, and disobeying the law leads to eternal damnation, and you're good to go! On a more personal level, reality is tough. Some people need religion in order to cope with reality. It's an illusion in order to soften reality. It also helps to limit freedom by giving people rules to live by, therefore they don't have to think as much for themselves. Sadly, some people really need that sort of crutch in order to survive reality. As long as they leave me alone, I don't really mind.

famous
07-18-2006, 09:27 PM
yeah that is true totaly true............ i wish it werent ( about religion being a cult and stuff) ya i know what u mean famous

yeah

i still think when you studdy all religions
then you find the true religion

Well, firstly, it's a good way to control people. Tell them God made you king, and disobeying the law leads to eternal damnation, and you're good to go! On a more personal level, reality is tough. Some people need religion in order to cope with reality. It's an illusion in order to soften reality. It also helps to limit freedom by giving people rules to live by, therefore they don't have to think as much for themselves. Sadly, some people really need that sort of crutch in order to survive reality. As long as they leave me alone, I don't really mind. umn how is it sad?

Tetsanosuke
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I never expected this thread to go on... but I'm glad.

Spiritul Humanism was it? interesting.

I've come to a conclusion after reading all (if not, most) the posts on this thread.

Is religion neccesary for human life to exist?:
Not neccesarily, because 'Science' has came up with the theory of evolution, that is a way of explaining where humanity came from. If a deity didn't make us, then we were spawned from the science of time. If a diety did create us, then cool, yay deity. But for life to exist you need Substanance (Food/Water) and the right chemical make up (Planet and Genetic) and other things.

But saying this, I agree that religion is important. Like a saftey belt in this big world, it sheilds our integrety (By giving us morals) and brings us reasons to live. It gives us a reason to highten our intellegence to answer such questions as this one. It makes us wonder and brings us together. It diversifies us and makes the world interesting(Culture and Mythology). Though we may fight over it, so would you if your seatbelt was stuck while your car was about to explode.

That is what I gathered from this discussion (More or less).

__Jesse__
07-18-2006, 09:31 PM
To Lance Wisteria: Of coarse people are gonna have conflicting views on other peoples' views on it, I even acknowledged that in my previous post, see, that's exactly what makes it worth discussing. That's why I never go into those 'in the moment' topics, I don't really see the point that they serve. When people have something to debate over and educate others with, it makes for a more progressive conversation.

To famous: I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that English is not your first language. But I'm still trying to figure out why you post everything in an individual line? It's like you're trying to write a poem about God, Islam, the media, and your friends or something. Also, you gotta understand that we're having a hell of a time trying to figure out what it is you're trying to say. I seem to understand that you don't belong to any certain religion, but support religion and associate with people of many different religions. There is nothing wrong with that, if I met a buddhist that I likeed as a person I wouldn't reject him because of his religion. But I would also in no way acknowledge Buddah as a diety, and would try to teach him Christianity in hopes he'd make the decision to find God. My best friend is an athiest, but we've been friends ever since we were little, and I have not once tried to shove religion down his throat (except one time me and a buddy of ours MADE him say a prayer with us, but that was because we were about to take off to my house and we were so fried we couldn't tell the pavement from the grass and thought we wouldn't even make it down the road alive) but I have exposed him to Christianity by simply trying to be a good example of it myself. I think I can make out some of your post to say Islam isn't a religion that promotes murder (in refrence to al quida, I assume), and that the media was trying to make it seem like they do. But while I agree the media is a bit corrupt, you need to realize they're not trying to attack the religion, the terrorists are the ones who announce it publically as their agneda. So blame al quida for the way people view Islamic beliefs, not the media. Also, you need to remember this is a forum, not a chatroom, so you aren't expected to reply to every post someone makes. And try to post fewer amounts of words in your post because you've really confused me. And that whole post one line at a time thing just confuses me more. And I'm STILL trying to figure out where the hell I said that I watched pokemon or something, that just really confused me.

And I can't believe I didn't adress this earlier, to the topic poster: Asking if religion is 'neccessary' is one of the worst ways I've ever seen to word something. 'Necessity' seems to be little the idea of religion and dismiss it as a petty concept. Also, the main reason alot of people think it's 'neccessary', is because apparently we Christians are blind, weak, and scared and need a security blanket to hold on to. Yeah, if you think the belief in a blazing hot dimension of eternal suffering for people who commit hate crimes, kill others for enjoyment, partake in cannbalism, genocide others for the way they were born, and loads of other punishment deserving things, is a depserate attempt for false comfort, you are dead wrong.

And Sagat, the people who were telling you that you would be condemned to hell are really clueless hypocrites that I feel embarassed for having my religion represented by. God would not condemn someone to such punishments for simply doubting faith, that's why he put you here, to have you question and challenge these things, to see if you can believe in the unprovable. The people who are usually believe to be condemned are those that are filled with pointless hatred, seriously and cruely hurt/kill others, people who commit blasphemy (directly using God's name or words for your own petty purposes and mislead others) people who cause harm to children, and etc. See that's one big reason Christians are viewed the way they are. They make God sound unforgiving and ruthless and that if you commit one little sin that God hates you and you are going to Hell, that's all garbage. As a matter of fact the reason Christ sacrificed himeself was so that the future generations (that's us) are given some slack and wouldn't get sent to Hell for every little thing we do.

Tetsanosuke
07-18-2006, 09:34 PM
My conclusion--- ^ one post above you're _Jesse_

cherryblosmes
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
um jesse the ppl who told sagat that just clearfied the fact that it was a come back and i said that he isnt going to hell and never will. and can i ask u just one thing christ by sacrifising himself does that mean that nobody will go to hell so why was hell created and why is there evil and good just a question that is if i understood u right. then why did god put us here on earth if we were all going to heaven cuz christ sacrifised himself for us? and doesnt god know everything so if he knows that if we are all going to go to heaven then why did he create christ and earth? and tetsokakon sorry my spelling is horrible sorry for posting after u conclusion but i really like ur conclusion ur veryyyyyyyyyy right ^^

Tetsanosuke
07-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh thanks, but you can go on if you people wish. You all seem to be having fun.
lol.

Athena
07-18-2006, 10:40 PM
My opinion:

Its pretty much half and half: Religion is changing the world and making a huge difference, then again, some ppl cant live with out religion and it keeps their families together...

famous
07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
jesse,
umn sorry i am being completely honest with you,
umn English is as good as my first language, cuz i learned it at the same time with another.
and i am good at the language
i am just an awful typer i guess
sorry
about that
can u forgive me? sorry ><
and i am muslim

yup deffinetly my typos
alot of them
i know
yeah
*sighs*
sometimes bad spelling but mostly typos

Miss Moonlight
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM

I'd hate to die in a 'iternety of flames'!

Miss Moonlight
07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
well, I don't know.

To some people religion is necesary. To others, it's not.

A religion is a belief, if it does not hurt anyone, then I don't mind it.

famous
07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I'd hate to die in a 'iternety of flames'!so what do u beleive in?

Cantelope
07-19-2006, 12:31 AM
so what do u beleive in?
I don't know about you, but I believe that a long time ago, there was an evil space prince, his name was Emperor Xenu. He had a population problem, so what he did was collect alot of people into many spaceships, and then came to earth and threw them all into a volcano, like, Kilamanjaro or something. The souls wandered away and jumped into the bodies of the new human race, and that's why there's sadness in the world.

It's a solid religion, I mean, Tom Cruise and John Travolta are followers.

cherryblosmes
07-19-2006, 12:45 AM
plz tell me ur being sarcastic............. ( or not ?)

Cantelope
07-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Yes, I'm being sarcastic.....

Or am I?

cherryblosmes
07-19-2006, 01:03 AM
okay thank u sorry i just had to ask ............ geezy

famous
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
oh
so what do you real beileve in?

scar_m
07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah what do you believe in?
Everyone believes in something!

famous
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
do they?
some ppl are just atheists

scar_m
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah they do! Even atheists believe in something!
Atheism is a belief itself!

famous
07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
well they beleive in umn
yeah i guess they do

scar_m
07-19-2006, 04:04 PM
^ Yeah they do!

Eris
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
It is nihilists that don't believe in anything.

famous
07-19-2006, 04:09 PM
yeah
i guess beleiving in nothing is beleiving in something
lol <----- that makes sence?
well i heard someone say something liek that
so i manipulated the saying
lol
but yeah they i guess do beleive in umn something

Eris
07-19-2006, 04:19 PM
yeah
i guess beleiving in nothing is beleiving in something
lol <----- that makes sence?
well i heard someone say something liek that
so i manipulated the saying
lol
but yeah they i guess do beleive in umn something

Atheist don't believe in nothing, they believe in science. They believe in no deity or higher power; that doesen't mean they are nihilists.

famous
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah
i know
i was trying to say
even if it was nothing
nothin is something
lol

cherryblosmes
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
that makes sense ^^

famous
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
does it?
hihih
or were u talking to soemone else?

Ollie
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
OmiGAWD, famous, STOP SPAMMING ALREADY.

famous
07-20-2006, 12:29 AM
okey dokey

hey btw
did i bother any of you with umn what i posted
cuz this admin guy
warned me for bothering u guys

Sagat
07-22-2006, 08:00 AM
You didn't bother me, you did annoy me though. And then some retard left a nastygram (sans the name, of course) for replying to you, oh and your complete lack of sentence structure annoys probably everyone.

Keitaru-san
07-22-2006, 08:36 AM
not to mention my religion kept me from doing bad andwrong things.

love
07-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, I've really missed a lot. I guess religion is what makes the world go round seeing as it gives everybody something to talk about and sometimes someone to blame. It keeps some people together and drives others apart, bascially it's all about tolerance. Are you willing to tolerate peolpe who don't think like you? I think it just all comes down to that.

Ryth
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Religion is a structural tool. Despite whether or not there is or isn't some divine creator(s), religion is (or I guess, was) used to create a stable level of conformity. Religion is like a philosophy with a deity or two (or three, four, whatever), let me be bold enough to say, tacked on. Using Christianity as an example, the teachings of God whether man created them or God himself passed them to humans as the Bible tells them to. No stealing, no killing, no gluttony, lust, wrath, etc. If citizens follow this, life is more civilized. No stealing and no killing is obvious. No gluttony makes sure food isn't wasted, no wrath can create a more friendly environment, no lust makes sure there aren't thousands of babies to feed, fewer rapes, and fewer STD's (though through an atheist standpoint, at the time the bible was written, STD's were probably a mystery and weren't thought of).

The reason to follow these things? Because of God. The fear of God and eternal damnation in Hell made people follow these things. Good deeds bring you to Heaven, an eternal place of joy, nirvana. Bad deeds bring you to Hell, damnation and torture that lasts an eternity. Since most people probably don't want to go to Hell, they follow the teachings of the Bible. Conforming the masses and preventing uncivil anarchy. Religion as a structural tool has obviously been abused sadly.

Religion, despite whether or not it's true or false, had good intention. I think it may of been needed, who knows, maybe we would've evolved out of primal anarchism without religion and come together, it may've taken longer, but it may've happened. Religion gives people hope and structure to live their life upon. Despite it being true or false, it was used in good intention but as the saying goes "The greatest harms can come from the best intentions." I guess I'm saying I don't know if religion is neccessary, but it was, or seemed like it was numerous years ago. It did well at first I suppose, but quickly spiralled out of control and closed people's process of thought more than it should have.

EDIT: I know I probably rambled too much there and may have made very little sense. ^^;; I'm sorry if it did, sometimes I type so many thoughts I lose my original point. Which I kind of lost there. xD

pyrothunder336
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't believe religion is necessary. It keeps people from thinking for themselves and gives set limits on how we should live. Religion has ruled the world for centuries and caused nothing but pain. Somehow religions find killing justified if it's for their religion in its obviously said in the books that there is no such thing. Crusades and Jihads are nothing but pointless wars fought for the sake of fighting. Religion is a just a way to manipulate people to someone's whelm and create even more ignorance into the world.

Tetsanosuke
07-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Crusades and Jihads are nothing but pointless wars fought for the sake of fighting.
Actually, the crusades brought many things to Europe, and Europe probly wouldn't be the same today if the crusades never happened. So only the 'Killing' of the crusades was pointless, but the crusades in general was a crutial part of history.
sorry off topic---

ranma_my_luv
07-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't think it is, but I think it helps.

As it is, right now I'm looking into religion, trying to find one that suits me.

Odd how this thread pops up now...

famous
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
You didn't bother me, you did annoy me though. And then some retard left a nastygram (sans the name, of course) for replying to you, oh and your complete lack of sentence structure annoys probably everyone.umn oh i see
hmn
yes
i guess so

Nighthawk
09-02-2006, 07:57 PM
You are a little thread necrophiliac are you? Digging up that old dead thing and raping it again with that nasty sentence structure :p

Bibi of the Blue Sea
09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Is religion necessary? Do human beings need it to survive? That all depends on how religious folk utilize it in everyday situations. For me, praying is something I do. Whenever I get down and there is no one to talk to, I pray. I ask the Lord for small favors and thank Him for bringing me good things. I utilize as a way to verbalize some of my hopes and thoughts. Without that small escape, I would probably die of stress. Does this help others as well? I don't know.

It's best not to ask such questions like "Do we really need religion?". All humans have the right to control their own mind's beliefs. Leave the dead threads alone.

Princess Cupcake
09-02-2006, 08:47 PM
You're asking if it's needed. Absolutely not. Still, religion is a type of faith and people believe what they want to.

Sickn3ss.
09-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah it is. This thread makes me sick.

Faceless111
09-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Yeah it is. This thread makes me sick.No one forced it into your throat. You came here willingly.

And no, religion isn't necessary to live. In fact, religion drives people to do very stupid things. From the Crusades to terrorism. However, I'm not against religion. I was once a heavy Christian, but now my opinion is meh. I believe in God and consider myself spiritual, but not religious. I don't go to church and I'm still living just fine.

Yugure's Goddess
09-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Yeah it is. This thread makes me sick.no. No it's not. Religion does more bad than good and aside from it's impact overall, every other creature in the world survives without groveling at the feet of some invisible man and so can we. What do we need to survive? Food, water, oxygen, and shelter. Everything else is just icing on the cake and just makes things better, but aren't REALLY nessecary...

So no.

love
dani
dude

Furubalova
09-03-2006, 02:22 AM
ums... its necessary for some people cause for some, religion is their support in life. for others, well it may not be totally necessary. for me personally, i don't really think so (no offence to anyone) but i'm kinda being pushed to two different religions (one i'm kinda being forced into, the other won't stop inviting me)

Ollie
09-03-2006, 02:26 AM
ums... its necessary for some people cause for some, religion is their support in life. it's A support. There are plenty of others that can be used.

Unless you mean people who are dirt poor and have nothing but what the churches and temples give them, 'cos that I can agree with.

German_Sniper9
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM

If so, why?

If not, Why not?

No, i think/know its not necesary for human life...
We could all live with no belief in god or all powerful god..
and the world is split cause of religion
look at the Nazi's and all the others that killed or threw people out of the country cause of there religion

i think religions were made by people who wanted to guide people
down the right path(in there eyes)

Jennifer-
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes it is neccisary because peopel have faith and realigions haev good effects except for the ones where you can kill,for example mormons they dont drink smoke so right there it saves lifes so yes religion is neccesary or life would be crazy.

Ollie
09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Yes it is neccisary because peopel have faith and realigions haev good effects except for the ones where you can kill,for example mormons they dont drink smoke so right there it saves lifes so yes religion is neccesary or life would be crazy.Ugh. You don't seriously believe that if religions didn't exist people would go around doing the worst things possible for themselves and killing each other, do you?

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes it is neccisary because peopel have faith and realigions haev good effects except for the ones where you can kill,for example mormons they dont drink smoke so right there it saves lifes so yes religion is neccesary or life would be crazy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Crusade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchanalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_%28cult%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_in_the_Middle_Ages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

I could come up with more examples, but I don't feel like it.

Zantetsuken
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm going to seperate it here.

Religion itself is nothing bad. I don't think it's a necesity but more like a life choice. Now what's bad about it are the people that manipulate it.

Remember, Christianity doesn't suck, Christians do.

cherryblosmes
09-03-2006, 09:40 PM
i am really woundring what brought this up. it was gone alongggggggg time ago. sorry off topic. just it was better when it was dead

yuki-san
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
i don't think religion is a bad thing.. because most of the ppl believe in something different. is like how ppl live and die, if they go to heaven or hell, it's just religion that what mostly bring us together to who we are..
so i don't think it is unnecessary by any chance. everybody is who they are and what they believe in.

Ichiro Matsuchani
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Is religion necessary? Well, I don't think so.

I'm sure that it gives some people the sense that they are protected with their belief, and that they have someone to help them through hard times.

DynastyxFell
09-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Though it has caused *lots* of problems in the past, I think we need it to have a reason to live. It gives us a sense of meaning, and makes us want to go on living and such. I've sort of created my own religion (I won't go into that now, though) and its helped me a lot through things.
Of course, if you just think about the primal instincts, then no you don't need religion. But in this day and age, I think it is pretty important, even if it has caused a lot of trouble.

Nausicaa
09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
yes, I think that religion is necessary. *smiles*

GodOrDevil?
09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Religion has caused many problems, but in some cases I do think that the world needs it. It gives some people hope and a reason to live, even if these religious beleifs aren't true, we will never know. It keeps some people in check, and makes them think twice before doing somthing that is bad, or unacceptable according to what religion they believe in. So in some cases it can be bad or good, so I really don't care since it's in between, in my opinion.

So it balances out the world, rather you like it or not.

HyperHacker
09-13-2006, 01:07 PM
My policy has always been "screw religion". How many wars have been started over religious debates? What good has religion done for society?
I do believe there's a God. I don't believe it (I don't want to say 'him' since I doubt it would have a gender at all) is some big person sitting on a cloud. I don't believe it ripped some guy's ribs out to make a woman, knocked up some guy's wife without touching her, or had a son who walked on water. (Ice or a sandbar, maybe.) IMO God is most likely the energy that turns a lump of meat and bones into a living being.
How did all this get here? Who knows? Maybe something intelligent created it, maybe it was all just random. If all this stuff about heaven and angels is true then I guess I'll find out when I die. If not and we really just cease to exist and start to rot, well, it's hard to give a crap when you don't exist. Either way there's no point in letting it get in the way of your life.

If God really exists and is really omnipotent then I don't think there's much chance of any person finding it, no moreso than a character in a video game will ever discover that their world is a video game. If someone does, bonus.

Middy
09-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I could not agree more with hyperhacker! Very well said.

I take the side of apathetic agnostics... For those who don't know...

"Apathetic agnosticism, in its most widely acknowledged form, is a theological position put forward by John Tyrrell in 1965. Apathetic Agnosticism differs from Ignosticism, in that while Ignostics believe that the very question of God's existence or otherwise is meaningless, apathetic agnostics are aware of the question but apathetic about the answer, believing that regardless of whether or not a god or gods exist, this does not affect us, our universe or the human condition, and so need not greatly concern us."

Even if god came down to me right now and said hello and showed me some pictures of him and Jesus on their last vacation... It wouldn't change my life in the least... I would keep living the same way I always did.. Treating people with respect and trying to make it in the world. If knowing that a god didn't exist or that your religion was wrong would change your life to great extents then you have a problem.. You are clearly using religion as a crutch for your weak state of mind

Just beacuse I think religion isn't neccasary doesn't mean I don't believe in moral behavoir. Sure I read the bible.. I didn't like a good half of it... But some of it was very insightful.. And I learned from it. People can learn things from all the religions.. Even if you don't practice them. I learned to meditate and I'm not a budist. But even if no religions existed mankind would still have commen sense, and therefore be able to figure right from wrong and know what's working and what isn't. So don't go around saying stuff like that if Christianty didn't exist the whole world would be sinning. or that if Budism didn't exist no one would know how to meditate or find innerpeace.

God gave you a brain.. Now use it.. If you can do that.. I don't care what the hell you believe

Hmm.. If that didn't make any sense I am sorry. I kinda worked myself into a frenzy, and I don't feel like checking to see if I wrote in a way that is understandable.

Ichiro Matsuchani
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
You are clearly using religion as a crutch for your weak state of mind Completely opinionated. Let me put some truth into that.

Firm believers in god time and time again clearly show that they have more of a mental stability then those that do not believe.

Even if god came down to me right now and said hello and showed me some pictures of him and Jesus on their last vacation... It wouldn't change my life in the least... I would keep living the same way I always did..Just take a look at that. Do you really think that you wouldn't be phased if you found out that the creator of earth and all things was real? I doubt it.

So don't go around saying stuff like that if Christianty didn't exist the whole world would be sinning.That is contradictory. Moral values existed long before christianity was ever formed. All that christianity does is further influence our values, not to change who we are completely.

God gave you a brain.. Now use it.. If you can do that.. I don't care what the hell you believe. 1. How thick headed of you.

2. Try that yourself.

3. This wasn't a thread for 'Become the follower of Christ!', so don't make it seem that way.

Ollie
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Firm believers in god time and time again clearly show that they have more of a mental stability then those that do not believe.What evidence do you use for this? Unless your using an actual survey where 100 athiests and 100 believers-in-god had their sanity tested, the real reason why that statement is true is because many more people believe in a god or multiple gods than those who do not.

Have you ever watched Boston Legal? In one episode a [short] Jewish man is facing prosecution for murder, I believe. An elderly lady at the law firm tells him about God and Jesus, and says that he really should be a Christian. The Jewish man tells her he's Jewish, and she says, "Well all of the murderers were on our side, not Jewish. So if you're a murderer, there must be at least some part of you that wants to be Christian?"

:laugh:

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm just gonna post this quote I saw on wikiquote a few days ago. It re-sums up my feelings perfectly.

I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know the answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me.
Richard Feynman

Middy
09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Hmm Where to begin

Originally Posted by Midnight Rider
You are clearly using religion as a crutch for your weak state of mind

It is opinonated in the last part.. When I say weak state of mind.. Agreed that could be considered my opinion..
But I have heard multiple times on this thread that those who support religion as a necessary part of life stating that is is A support. Well In that statement I gave I was saying that you are using religion as a support. I went on to say.. Or tried to say that if you need that support so badly, that when it is taken away, you completly fall to pieces and lose all sanity, then you have a problem. How can you not think that is a problem?? To depend so much on faith is unhealthy.

Even if god came down to me right now and said hello and showed me some pictures of him and Jesus on their last vacation... It wouldn't change my life in the least... I would keep living the same way I always did..

You said that I would be phased. Hmm. Perhaps I would be, I never said I wouldn't be. I clearly stated that it wouldn't change my life.. And it wouldn't. If god came down and said hello I admit I would be suprised, But would I go around treating life any differently..Treating people any differently, No I wouldn't. Which brings us to the next statement

So don't go around saying stuff like that if Christianty didn't exist the whole world would be sinning.

By this and the text that surrounded it I meant to say ( not sure how it came out to you) That morals indeed did exist before Christianity ( this clearly shows I don't believe in creation) And even if it did not exist before.. It would certainly exist even without religion at all. This train of thought is where the statement that it is false to say "that if "insert religion here" didn't exist, the whole world would be sinning." originated from. Basically I am trying to convey that I think that morals exist independant from religion.. So to say that people would be lost and dissolute without religion is a false statement.

God gave you a brain.. Now use it.. If you can do that.. I don't care what the hell you believe.

1. I like to think that I am not thick headed
2. I use my brain often..
3. The statement wasn't an insult its saying that I do not discrimanate against religion or beliefe as long as you thought about all other possibilties.
Before saying to yourself "Well my mom was Jewish.. So I guess I will be too.
Or.... Well this book says so.. It must be true
I want you to consider everything.. Think rationally.. And choose.. If you do this Its not wrong for you.. And I accept your choice completly. But please don't expect me to agree with you in all cases by any means.

Sorry if i used christianity alot.. Though i never even said the word Christ.. But it (Christianity) is the most mainstream religion ( correct me if I am wrong) And I naturally wrote it down.. Sorry about that.. Its my mistake

Originally Posted by Ichiro Matsuchani
Firm believers in god time and time again clearly show that they have more of a mental stability then those that do not believe.

I would like to see proof of this. The radicals who attack others, the crusaders, They all believed in god.. And I must say that they don't seem very mentally stable to me.

To really get to the basic question of this thread!
Um.. I do not have a "Religion by definition" and here I am posting.. Which is clear proof enough that Religion is not necesary. So.. I am unsure how you could argue that it is... But that's just my thoughts... Thoughts from a living person.. Without religion.. Its true..

*Still got into a writing frenzy. If it still doesn't make sense then I am REALLY sorry And will stop posting on this topic.

HyperHacker
09-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Even if god came down to me right now and said hello and showed me some pictures of him and Jesus on their last vacation... It wouldn't change my life in the least... I would keep living the same way I always did.. Treating people with respect and trying to make it in the world. If knowing that a god didn't exist or that your religion was wrong would change your life to great extents then you have a problem.. You are clearly using religion as a crutch for your weak state of mind
Other than this I pretty much agree with you too. If I had indisputable proof that God existed and heaven and all that was real I'd probably change my ways pretty quick. I just don't think it's worth trying to find this proof since the chances of succeeding are so small... for thousands of years people much smarter than me have tried and failed. If I should happen to succeed by chance, that's just a nice bonus.

Yugure's Goddess
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
...O.o are you serious? Is this topic really still going? ...I shouldn't but... I'm gonna say something...

Though it has caused *lots* of problems in the past, I think we need it to have a reason to live.Ahem... no not really. I'm not one who's actively all over the place about "God". I don't need religion to have an excuse to continue existing. All I really need is other people.
It gives us a sense of meaning, and makes us want to go on living and such. And I can think of several people who would disagree on a major level. Religion is not the driving force in my life... I don't need something so flimsy to stand on, like religion. I don't need something that can't be proven right or proven wrong to keep me standing because in the end, I could be wrong and, wasting my energy all my life just seems like a worthless pursuit so I find other reasons to live. Like I said before, I do not need a deity, only other people. EDIT: because I can actually be pretty sure that they're ACTUALLY there.
I've sort of created my own religion (I won't go into that now, though) and its helped me a lot through things. other people can do that just as well as listening to and obeying the words of an invisible man, that's never actually spoken to you.

Of course, if you just think about the primal instincts, then no you don't need religion. But in this day and age, I think it is pretty important, even if it has caused a lot of trouble. it's done more trouble than good, hun. And you've just restated my point. We don't NEED it to survive and if you need a crutch to stand on in hard times, cry on the shoulder of your best friend. Trust me, it helps.

... moving on...

Completely opinionated. Let me put some truth into that.

that's just because they have that crutch, if you took away their little crutch then they'd be as "mentally instable" as any other Atheist. At least Atheists try to keep their bearings straight and keep themselves pretty honest and well-equipped with logic (sometimes...) and don't fool themselves into thinking that bowing to and kissing an invisible man's feet will suddenly solve all their problems... and like, Whispers said, let's see that proof, buddy!

...*sigh* I'll take a break for now...

love
dani
dude

Señor Nobody
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
No, it's not really necessary. I believe religion is something made up to give believers faith in beings that have control over life and fate itself. Like this "god" many speak of.

~Troublesome Woman~
09-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I pretty much agree with Yugure's Godess.

I don't think religion is necessary for life... I've never believed that's there's anyone up there, and I certainly don't want to stop living.
However, if believeing in all that makes people feel better, I don't see why they shouldn't. I mean, if it makes you feel more secure, go for it. It won't solve all your problems but if, in your heart, you really think it's true and it makes you feel better, then that's fine by me.

But it has caused a lot of trouble. And still does... there's still predujice against certain people because of their beliefs, even if people deny it. Just like there's still a lot of racism out there.

So no, I don't think religion is necessary at all. And though I don't have a problem with people who believe it Him or whatever, I do have a problem if they tell me I have to, or I should. I can live just fine without all that, thanks. Respect other people's beliefs... that's what I try to do, anyway.

Ichiro Matsuchani
09-16-2006, 08:55 AM
that's just because they have that crutch, if you took away their little crutch then they'd be as "mentally instable" as any other Atheist. At least Atheists try to keep their bearings straight and keep themselves pretty honest and well-equipped with logic (sometimes...) and don't fool themselves into thinking that bowing to and kissing an invisible man's feet will suddenly solve all their problems... and like, Whispers said, let's see that proof, buddy!You missed the point.

Religion is something that you can't take away from Christians (Or any other religion for that matter). With most of the firm believers, not even mountains full of viable evidence would diminish their faith.

Now, going on to the feet kissing stereotype that you just had to bring into this. By belief, god does NOT help human kind with every problem that comes to them. It's actually said that it is part of gods plan to better you as a human being.

I won't say that I'm a true believer, because that would be false. Yet, I am not so close minded as to say that something beyond my belief could not be true. It's just stereotype comments like this are the sparks of flame wars.

No, it's not really necessary. I believe religion is something made up to give believers faith in beings that have control over life and fate itself. Like this "God" many speak of.Made up? Hardly. There is plenty of proof that this "God" is not made up.

To be obvious, the bible. Written by the followers of god, it is clear documentation, though we cannot be certain of it to be completely factual.

How can you explain Jesus? We know there WAS a person that had the name of Jesus, whether he was the son of god or not. There was written documentation of his live, via the bible, that said of his exploits. Not saying that all of it is true, since that cannot be proven.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Made up? Hardly. There is plenty of proof that this "God" is not made up.

To be obvious, the bible. Written by the followers of god, it is clear documentation, though we cannot be certain of it to be completely factual.

How can you explain Jesus? We know there WAS a person that had the name of Jesus, whether he was the son of god or not. There was written documentation of his live, via the bible, that said of his exploits. Not saying that all of it is true, since that cannot be proven.
That is the stupidest thing I've heard all week. Not only has the bible repeatedly been proven to have only a tenuous grasp on reality (Which is fine if you read it non-literally), it proves nothing about the existence or non-existence of any deity. That statement is comparable to saying that The Lord of the Rings proves Hobbits exist.

I also fail to see what Jesus has to do with validating the bible. Sure he -probably- existed, but that doesn't mean that the apostles didn't embellish the hell out of those stories.

The book was written by mere humans. How could one hope to prove anything with something so obviously flawed? And why is the Christian god given precedence over other religions- They have holy books too. The reason why people are able to doubt the existence of God is that there is no proof that he exists. It doesn't mean he couldn't exist, but it does mean that it is impossible to prove it.

Jewel <3
09-16-2006, 09:50 AM
That is the stupidest thing I've heard all week. Not only has the bible repeatedly been proven to have only a tenuous grasp on reality (Which is fine if you read it non-literally), it proves nothing about the existence or non-existence of any deity. That statement is comparable to saying that The Lord of the Rings proves Hobbits exist.

I also fail to see what Jesus has to do with validating the bible. Sure he -probably- existed, but that doesn't mean that the apostles didn't embellish the hell out of those stories.

The book was written by mere humans. How could one hope to prove anything with something so obviously flawed? And why is the Christen god given precedence over other religions- They have holy books too. The reason why people are able to doubt the existence of God is that there is no proof that he exists. It doesn't mean he couldn't exist, but it does mean that it is impossible to prove it.
I have a friend who I tryed to tell the same thing to. But the brainwashed fools don't want to give in to reason..

Señor Nobody
09-16-2006, 10:06 AM

The book was written by mere humans. How could one hope to prove anything with something so obviously flawed? And why is the Christen god given precedence over other religions- They have holy books too. The reason why people are able to doubt the existence of God is that there is no proof that he exists. It doesn't mean he couldn't exist, but it does mean that it is impossible to prove it.
My point exactly.

Elena
09-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Necessary for what exactly? I'm sure without it, humans will still feed themselves, mate with each other, etc. Humans don't *need* religion at all.

Religion itself is a double edged sword. Anything that brings people together, gives them hope and happiness and the want to share hope and happiness with others is fantastic.

Anything that is the foundation for war and death, is not that great. :(

Kewii
09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Closed for Length