PDA

View Full Version : Otomo Katsushiro's Memories

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Has anyone else ever seen it? I recommend it highly.

It is a collection of three short anime films, on the theme of Memories, all written by Otomo Katsushiro (Akira’s writer) .

The first film, Magnetic Rose, is a 2001-esque space mystery-thing in which Space Junk collectors go to investigate a distress signal in a derelict space station, and find someone still there. More to it than that, but kind of slow. Didn’t really like it too much.

The Second film, Stink Bomb, is one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed. A vapid bio-research facility worker comes into work with a cold. One of his co-workers tells him the Director has an experimental cold medicine on his desk, and that he should try it. The director is out of his office, but he takes the pill anyway, and goes to the break room to takes a nap. He wakes up, and everyone is passed out around the office. He finds his way to the director’s room again, and activates a distress call. He talks to the men on the other end. They tell him to stick the item in the briefcase and take it to Tokyo post-haste. It soon becomes apparent (to the viewer, not the worker) that the worker is the source of a gas that knocks people unconscious (or dead. It’s not really specified). As he goes through every area, people pass out. The Japanese government become aware of this, and mount a full-out offensive to kill him. Planes, tanks, artillery. Only, when the worker is anxious, he produces a lot more gas (making it become visible). Being shot at makes him very anxious. This gas in high quantities has another interesting property; it creates an electrical charge. All of this top-of-the-line military hardware becomes so much scrap metal, resulting in one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever seen. There’s more, but go get your spoilers somewhere else.

The last movie, Cannon Fodder, is pretty much a rip-off of 1984. Cool imagery, but pretty boring and uninspired.

Obviously, I liked it more for Stink Bomb than anything. But Stink Bomb alone is worth more than the cost of admission.

Ami~chan
06-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Yes, I've seen it; and yes, I highly recommend it as well.

However, I didn't get to see the last part of Cannon Fodder. I need to watch it.

I agree though; Stink Bomb was easily the best of the three. I'd buy just for that.