PDA

View Full Version : Manga translations

Shinigami Ichigo
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I recently saw some chapters of Ranma online, and it got me to thinking. Do you have any sort of preferences with your manga translations? For example, do you think it is better to have translated SFX (bang, crash, etc) or just original Japanese characters?

Also, I have a question specifically directed towards VIZ manga. Does VIZ change the orientation of their mangas to the American left--->right, or do they keep it in the original left<---right from Japanese, ala Tokyopop?

Gjallarhorn
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I prefer the sound effects left in Japanese, will small notes as to what they translate to put between the panels. I prefer reading right to left, as it has become natural to me over the past decade of reading manga.

As for Viz, I believe that most of their series are read from right to lift, but I have seen a few read from left to right.

Shinigami Ichigo
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I believe Ranma and Tenchi fit that bill. I was wondering if a specific series (Mahou Sensei Negima) is right to left or the other way. I also have gotten used to right to left reading.

Laharl ex
06-11-2006, 01:35 AM
I prefer it looking more Japanese. As for scanlations, those are sick. If you're an anime or manga fan, I don't see why you support such a thing.

Shinigami Ichigo
06-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, cost is probably the most influencing factor. Especially on longer series like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece (oddly, all done by VIZ). Also, that is the only way to get the most current events in the respective manga (I.E Enies Lobby in One Piece, Arrancar in Bleach, Akatsuki/Jinchuuriki in Naruto). How long do you think it would take for VIZ to get up to volume 43 on One Piece? YEARS.

MistaCloudStrife
06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't really have a preference on scanlations as long as the picture quality and translations are decent. I've gotten used to reading from right to left as well, but I suppose I can read from left to right as well... The only thing that I don't really like is when the original japanese characters are going verticle and the scanlators add in the english words vertically over the japanese ones.

Prons
06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, as a manga scanlator myself I have a few simple prefferences:

1) Sound Effects left intact. It doesn't make that much difference to me, because I can tell by context.

2) Text super imposed over the image either redrawn or with english translations next to them. I swing both way as long as it looks good.

3) Translation not too literal.

Sailor Chibimoon
06-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I prefer the sound effects in Japanese.

ancientsilence
06-18-2006, 01:25 AM
I tend to prefer the sound effects in Japanese, with translations where they can be squeezed in without disrupting the art or story. As for scanlations, there are plenty of great manga that haven't come to the US that are translated online (Lilim Kiss, for example).

Shinigami Ichigo
06-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if Del Rey keeps the honorifics in their translations? Thinking on it, there are situations where I can't imagine not seeing those (-kun, -san, -sama, etc).

ancientsilence
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes, they keep them. There's a whole section devoted to them at the beginning of each volume in the Negima series.

Shinigami Ichigo
06-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Does VIZ (I feel really stupid asking the same question over and over) keep them, and do they translate everything (such as Hime -> princess for series like Flame of Recca)?