PDA

View Full Version : In The Future

Princely Dreaming Doll
05-20-2006, 03:51 PM
In the future do you really think its going to be like those cartoons or Hollywood movies were they are no tress. Just a bunch of tall buildings. It only seems like their is a plant in there home, but no were else you see plants.
Do you think the future will end up this way?
Or do you think something else will happen?

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
05-20-2006, 03:58 PM
We better have trees...
because if we don't have trees I'll be sad I mean,
I'd have no place to hide then....
I hope that doesn't happen. It shouldn't.

Don't we kinda need trees and plants and things... for like air, to be able to breathe.
I have a feeling in the future that we will have polluted our envioroment so bad that it will dangerous to even go outside. Think about all the stuff we are wasteing and putting into our atmosphere. we are slowly killing ourselves.

Princely Dreaming Doll
05-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Well since someone replied this is what I think the future will be.

The lesser version of earth. Humans corrupt the earth and slowly die after that everything else starts to rot and die as well.
Then evolution takes place again

Crimson Phoenix
05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Yes Sailor, we do need trees to create the oxygen we breathe, and to recycle the carbon dioxide we produce. If there are no trees in our future world, our race's survival is almost surely doomed.

Piper
05-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Think about all the stuff we are wasteing and putting into our atmosphere. we are slowly killing ourselves.
Where've you been? Scientists already discovered a hole in the earth's atmosphere.

Eris
05-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Where've you been? Scientists already discovered a hole in the earth's atmosphere.

Uh... a hole in the atmosphere is physically impossible to create (or atleast incredibly difficult). The ozone layer ≠ the atmosphere.

In any case, the ozone hole isn't an imminent threat; while it is certainly bad, there are other things to worry about more (especially since the problem already is dealt with, in the sense that there are almost no emission of particles that destroys the ozone layer any more).

What you need to worry about is the bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-bomb), as one of the few inventions of man-kind that actually is capable of wiping the planet of all but cockroaches and sharks. Even though today's political climate is stable, it probably won't last forever.

Terror really isn't much of an actual threat today, it's been blown way out of proportion, so worrying about terrorists as the harbringer of mankind's destruction isn't realisitic.

Global warming could very well cause global extinction, turning Earth into another desolate wasteland (much like Mars), if nothing is done about it, though fortunately, the Oil supply is going to run out in a couple of years, drastically limiting the use of oil (and emission of CO2).

Ollie
05-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Apparently it's been split into two smaller holes, which means it's slowly beginning to repair. But still. Scary.

In the future, we'll figure out better ways to take care of gas emissions and whatnot. We have to.

And when you think about all the conservation plans they have and are implementing, no, I don't think all the trees and plants and whatnot will be removed. It's an eerie thought, regardless.

And regardless of what some people think or want, humans will move onto the other planets in our solar system or neighboring systems, or try very very hard. Earth's good climate won't last forever, and if we can't find new homes then humans will die out completely on this planet.

Sadie
05-20-2006, 05:54 PM
In the future we will all be dead so it wont really matter. :)

Eris
05-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Apparently it's been split into two smaller holes, which means it's slowly beginning to repair. But still. Scary.

Wasn't there two holes in the first place (one over each pole)?

Bandit Leader Kouji
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I think in the future, it's going to be totally different.Everythings going to change.And I bet humans to.o_O;

Cat_Demon
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
No i dont think so, even though half (i think more) arent that bright most of us know we need plants like trees in our life, or else we couldnt get certain things and we be killing animals that ate it, and the animlas we eat wouldnt be there no more since we killed off their food and in turn killing ours. So sooner or later we would all die if we had no plants at all, we need plants for many reasons, cutting them down is stupid and we should respect it.

Zantetsuken
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
My favorite view is from the movie "The Time Machine." All the streets are filled with bycycles. Or Tyler Durden's theory of everyone wearing leather outfits for the rest of their lives and climbing the vines of the Sear's Tower.

Ollie
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Wasn't there two holes in the first place (one over each pole)?Er, no? Last time I checked, it was one huge hole in the southern hemisphere (which is why there's been such a jump in cases of skin cancer in South America).

Eris
05-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Er, no? Last time I checked, it was one huge hole in the southern hemisphere (which is why there's been such a jump in cases of skin cancer in South America).

There is a northern ozone hole, though it's smaller and less ozone depleted than the south one.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Regarding the bomb... Think of it as a mass-extinction. It would most likely kill most of the higher forms of life (vertebrates, most invertebrates, most plants and fungi) but it won't kill everything. Earth will survive.

Anyway, I hope, but don't really expect some form of cyberization, mind control, or genetic modification will mature mankind, or failing that we invent some FTL drive and get off this singular mudball before stuff blows up.

wolf-on-the-hunt
05-20-2006, 07:55 PM
meh yeah it will if we countinue to go on this way....but you must remember that hollywood is hollywood and every thing there is fake and mutated, but in this instist i am very shure it is true, but dont belive anything thing they show its all fake dont go chasing a star whene its really a firefly

Toughfairy101
05-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I hope the future will tons of fun!!!! :)

IloveInuYasha!
05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Our future is going to be a bad one if we don`t do something now! (and who invented the cigarette?>.<? and why?)

Eris
05-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Regarding the bomb... Think of it as a mass-extinction. It would most likely kill most of the higher forms of life (vertebrates, most invertebrates, most plants and fungi) but it won't kill everything. Earth will survive.

Anyway, I hope, but don't really expect some form of cyberization, mind control, or genetic modification will mature mankind, or failing that we invent some FTL drive and get off this singular mudball before stuff blows up.

Some sort of space-based self sustaining artificial environment (think arcology) would be an alternative to finding a new planet.

wolf-on-the-hunt
05-20-2006, 08:18 PM
but thats dumb manen it wont be reall then, and why should you live in a fake world?? its allready fake enuf as it is...oh and loveinu the native americans did but it was for seremoniel and spirt purposes and it wasnt adicting it became that way wene the tabacco compines put nickotene in it now its just a monaply thats killing pepole yet no one can stop it.......there jerks grrrrrr

Eris
05-20-2006, 08:20 PM
but thats dumb manen it wont be reall then, and why should you live in a fake world?? its allready fake enuf as it is...oh and loveinu the native americans did but it was for seremoniel and spirt purposes and it wasnt adicting it became that way wene the tabacco compines put nickotene in it now its just a monaply thats killing pepole yet no one can stop it.......there jerks grrrrrr

Uh, when the planet is a desolate wasteland, you don't have much of a choice.

wolf-on-the-hunt
05-20-2006, 08:26 PM
i suppose but meh we'll probly die first.....after we make it a total wast land *sigh* man thats not fair............

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
The easiest way to put it:
Our Planet is DOOMED!!!!
We're all doomed and if it doesn't effect us it will affect our children
I know that sounds really stupid but it's true
We are literally killing ourselves... and to us it's a normal day...

Sagat
05-20-2006, 09:17 PM
What do you all think of this new antimatter bomb then?

http://www.editinternational.com/index.php?pag=stories.php?cat=3f5121ba1d140&sub=4199c430c6eb1

It positively makes me tingle all over.

Eris
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Antimatter bombs are redundant. Regular A-bombs are enough to wipe out life on the planet as we now it. You really don't need anything more powerful than that.

Ollie
05-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Antimatter bombs are redundant. Regular A-bombs are enough to wipe out life on the planet as we now it. You really don't need anything more powerful than that.I think at this point it's turned more into a "because I can" thing rather than "because I need to."

Sagat
05-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes they are enough to wipe out life but it's one thing to vaporize everything and radiate the place .... and entirely another thing to simply obliterate all forms of matter in the blast zone.

"because I can" like Whispers said.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Antimatter, as a energy source is useful, but it's just an (even worse) temptation as a weapon.

Sagat
05-20-2006, 10:20 PM
It would utterly revolutionize and bring humanity to a new stage of development as an energy source.

And of course, we all know that would happen after it was weaponized.

Aleyna
05-21-2006, 12:28 AM
i hav no idea how the world is gonna b like in the future...all i can do is hope that the enviroment will still be here cuz i love n appreciate wut the world has made for us humans to product from... i feel like we abuse the earth's enviroment n that stuff will disappear to a point wher we don't hav enough stuff to product form n that some great depression of a lakc of energy n pollution will occurr n well b broke cuz well hav no energy....n if this doesn't happen then im guessing some big change in earth's atmosphere will occur making the enviroment still here for us human beings to live off of or kill us

wolf-on-the-hunt
05-21-2006, 02:53 AM
dang this thread is deppressing waaaaaaaaaa..............oh man the truth hurt's, but does that mean we have to talk about it!!!!!!!!!!! sho sad..............

akiko_kalla
05-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Regarding travelling to other planets:

First of all, if we can't figure out how to live on this planet, we are only going to pollute another one with our presence. I'm not saying we won't or shouldn't move on, as that is simply survival, but if it comes to that I will have many doubts about success there.

Second, it would still only be a temporary solution, although a rather long temporary by human standards, as the sun will eventually die. If there is anything left of the inner planets, there will be no bright sun to keep them warm.

Lastly, there are no planets for us to go to although there are a few moons we might look into with modifications. If I remember correctly, of the planets Mars is the most like Earth but we would in essence have to create an enclosed...living space for it to work. (I can't think of the word at the moment.)

Not a bad idea, and not one that scientist aren't considering, but even if we did achieve that I'm not sure that it would solve the real problem.

In regards to the future:

It's hard to say. There are many people trying to work to make things better, but change takes time. I think places who value nature will fight to keep it and protect it. I have a great deal of hope for the future, but I will say this. If you read books of science fiction from many years ago, you find much of what is in them today. What concerns me the most is not nature as it always finds a way to survive, but humanity. I shudder to think of the science fiction that might come true.

Eris
05-21-2006, 06:05 AM
It would utterly revolutionize and bring humanity to a new stage of development as an energy source.

No it wouldn't. It's only possible to create antimatter in matter/antimatter pairs, and annihalation releases the same energy that was required to create the antimatter in the first place.

Princely Dreaming Doll
05-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Oh this thread got sceintific on us. Glad I understand it. XD. I agree with Sailor this Planet is DOOMED.

Kakashi_x
05-21-2006, 12:39 PM
NO I DONT, i THINK THERE WILL BE TOTAL CHAOS IN THE FUTURE

Claudio Oricroix
05-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I think it is going to be somewhat like the cartoons.
But it is never going to be like fricken star wars, lol.
But yea deffinently like the cartoons.

Ollie
05-21-2006, 01:06 PM
[snipped for length]

Not a bad idea, and not one that scientist aren't considering, but even if we did achieve that I'm not sure that it would solve the real problem.You misunderstand me. I am not suggesting that humans will live forever and that by planet-hopping (or moon-hopping :)) we can evade our own eventual extinction.

I'm just saying that, if scientists can figure it out, we can avoid dying out for much longer. That, and it would make our deaths more interesting. Would you rather die on Earth from hunger, or die on Europa battling aliens with the oh-noes-laser guns™? :ninja:

akiko_kalla
05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
You misunderstand me. I am not suggesting that humans will live forever and that by planet-hopping (or moon-hopping :)) we can evade our own eventual extinction.

I'm just saying that, if scientists can figure it out, we can avoid dying out for much longer. That, and it would make our deaths more interesting. Would you rather die on Earth from hunger, or die on Europa battling aliens with the oh-noes-laser guns™? :ninja:Oh, I was just replying in general about moving in order to survive. Honestly I don't have any issues with death so I don't really care how or where I die...of course I'd prefer it not to be totally unpleasant; no torture or anything. :P

My physics project was to create/plan a space station like that on Mars. Science can do many great things, but funding is frequently an issue. I personally would love to travel to see other worlds, but I am doubtful it will happen in my lifetime. And if we did, what would we teach a new race we met? How would we treat the new planet we lived on? Right now I would prefer us to stay here given much of what I see. I have much hope for the future, but all you can really do is try to touch the lives of the future and pray they create a new and better path.

Demond
05-22-2006, 12:38 AM
If we didn't have trees in the future we'd die.There wouldn't be any oxigen for us.

Surgeon General
05-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Theres not really one future. This is a theory, but the future you place is your future, but in the dimension of space there are portal to a parallel world to yours. With only slight differences so you could be flipping burgers in your future, but in a different dimension you could be ruling the world.

Sayoran
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
What is meant by "the future"? 10 years, 100 years, 1000? One million perhaps? Please elaborate...

Eris
05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
What is meant by &quot;the future&quot;? 10 years, 100 years, 1000? One million perhaps? Please elaborate...

As I interpet it, it's pretty much up to you.

Sayoran
05-22-2006, 11:09 AM
As I interpet it, it's pretty much up to you.Fair enough...

Well, I interpret this thread to be suggesting is that what live would be like in the next ~100 years:

This is just my prediction:

Politically: The the USA will no longer be a super-power, if it is, it won't be the only one about - either way I think the USA is nearing its end. We could be living in anarchy by then, or (more likely) under the influence of another global empire.

Enviornmentally:

I think the "concrete jungle" described by the starter of this thread is a little exaggerated - yes more buildings will be present but we need plants/trees for oxygen *o_O*
Global Warming - there is no doubt how the climate will have changed, I'm not sure how, but I think we will see more extreme weather patterns (i.e. hotter summers, harsher winters etc.).
Socially: This depends on which country/countries has the largest influence over the world and which part of the world you live.

Economically: Again this depends on which country/countries has the largest influence over the world and where in the world you live.

Basically I feel we are in for a difficult century...

Regex
05-22-2006, 11:49 AM
NO I DONT, i THINK THERE WILL BE TOTAL CHAOS IN THE FUTUREThis is actually a fairly insightful suggestion, and leads to some questions to think about.

After all, we look at where we believe that we came from, and some people suggest that the universe came from the "Big Bang" and that due to millions and billions of years of random chance, life was created that eventually bacame people.

However, science has shown that all things left to themselves, things tend to become less orderly, and more chaotic. If we apply this observation to the larger scale, that hypothesis of the future does seem rather likely. Possibly the atomic bomb talked about before, destroying so much of life, sending the earth pretty much back to an infancy stage.

On the other hand, look at technology and where it has brought us. Can we really say that we are necessarily happier as a society than we were 5,000 years ago? We've made plenty of advancements, but there's still a great deal of people who find that computers are complicating things unnecissarily. As a software/electronics engineer, I have to agree that things are far more complicated than they were in the past, and that it's not always a good thing. Politically, things have complicated as well, and I believe a lot of that is due to technology. Back a few hundreds of years, the laws weren't nearly so complex. They didn't need to get so detailed in everything. They didn't even have to bring in the authorities for every little detail. People worked out their problems on their own so much of the time. So if we follow this trend, maybe we'd expect to see something like what we saw in Minority Report. Just lock people up before they can commit crimes. Or even more extreme, so many rules and regulations on what you can and can't do, you might as well not even have free will.

ChaosAlchemist
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
in the future huh, well I think in the future there willl be destruction and chaos to everything and humans will slowly go insane then more and even smart humans you take over the evolution chain and maybe figure out how to make metal limbs and all that other stuff well that my opinion on this subject

Sagat
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Why can't we just all admit that without Captain Planets help, we're going to end up destroying nature?

Though I still hold hope that Gene Roddenbery's view of the future can be accomplished.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Why can't we just all admit that without Captain Planets help, we're going to end up destroying nature?

Though I still hold hope that Gene Roddenbery's view of the future can be accomplished.I still believe that Arthur C. Clark's view of the future in 3001 is possible, provided someone blows up Jupiter for us.

Sagat
05-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I still believe that Arthur C. Clark's view of the future in 3001 is possible, provided someone blows up Jupiter for us.Can't say I read any of his work to be honest, what book are you speaking about?

Faceless111
05-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyways, to the matter of Earth's future. Relax. To quote George Carlin:

"The planet isn't going anywhere. It's the human race that's going."

There's still the hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and other natural diasters and they haven't gotten any worse than they were back before any of us were born. Mankind has come and will go, but the planet will remain. It will most likely come to an end when the sun dies out and creates a nova.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Can't say I read any of his work to be honest, what book are you speaking about?3001: The Final Odyssey. All the 2001 books are pretty good.

@Faceless: ≠ means Not Equal To (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%89%A0#Related_symbols).

IloveInuYasha!
05-29-2006, 05:44 AM
wondering about the future and the past distracts from the present....
Don't worry, we will all be dead before the planet dies so relax? ok?