PDA

View Full Version : Sex cues ruin men's decisiveness, or do they?

Ωmega
04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Catching sight of a pretty woman really is enough to throw a man's decision-making
skills into disarray, a study suggests.
The more testosterone he has, the stronger the effect, according to work by Belgian researchers.

Men about to play a financial game were shown images of sexy women or lingerie.

The Proceedings of the Royal Society B study found they were more likely to accept unfair offers than men not been exposed to the alluring images.

The suggestion is that the sexual cues distract the men's thoughts, preventing them from focusing on their task - particularly among those with high natural testosterone levels.

The University of Leuven researchers gave 176 heterosexual male student volunteers aged 18 to 28 financial games to test their fair play.

But first, half of the men were shown sexual cues of some kind.

One group of 44 men were given pictures to rate; some were shown landscapes while the rest were shown attractive women.

Another group, of 37 men, were either asked to assess the quality, texture and colour of a bra or a t-shirt.

And a third group of 95 were shown either pictures of elderly women or young models.

Each group was then paired up to play a game where the men had $10, a proposer had to suggest a split, and the other man accepted or rejected the offer.

If the second man accepted the offer, the money was distributed in agreement with the offer. If he rejected it, neither partner got anything.

The game is designed as a lab model of hunting or food sharing situations.

'Vulnerable'

The men's performance in the tests showed those who had been exposed to the "sexual cues" were more likely to accept an unfair offer than those who were not.

The men's testosterone levels were also tested - by comparing the length of the men's index finger compared to their ring finger.

If the ring finger is longer, it indicates a high testosterone level.

The researchers found that men in the study who had the highest levels performed worst in the test, and suggest that is because they are particularly sensitive to sexual images.

Dr Siegfried DeWitte, one of the researchers who worked on the study, said: "We like to think we are all rational beings, but our research suggests ... that people with high testosterone levels are very vulnerable to sexual cues.

"If there are no cues around, they behave normally.

"But if they see sexual images they become impulsive."

He added: "It's a tendency, but these people are not powerless to fight it.

"Hormone levels are one thing, but we can learn to deal with it."

The researchers are conducting similar tests with women. But so far, they have failed to find a visual stimulus which will affect their behaviour."

Dr George Fieldman, principal lecturer in psychology at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College, told the BBC News website: "The fact men are distracted by sexual cues fits in to evolutionary experience. It's what they are expected to do.

"They are looking for opportunities to pass on their genes."

He said the study confirmed what had been suspected by many.

"If a man is being asked to choose between something being presented by an attractive woman and an ugly men, they might not be as dispassionate as they could be."

So, can you argue with science?

Sadie
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
intresting very intresting.

Regex
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I find it absolutely incredible that anyone funded such a study. I beleive it's been pretty apparent that men react this way. There are plenty of women out there who have been exploiting this very weakness for thousands of years. You find stories about the same weaknesses in mythology and religious texts.

The conclusion is pretty clear. Men get stupid around pretty ladies. Gee, who knew?

Kishiro
04-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I dunno about you other fellas, but a pretty girl in a skirt isn't going to be my reason for getting jipped outta some cash. I don't buy that seeing a good looking woman can affect your decisions with another man unless she is right there looming over your shoulder and flaunting what she's got. There is just no way a picture can cause that kind of loss of rationale.

But I'll be the first to admit and agree with Aaron. I'm a dumb sucker for girls. Too bad so many of my friends are girls. Wait a minute... I might be missing something here.... Oh, I know, its the former contents of my wallet. -_-

Sayoran
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I find it absolutely incredible that anyone funded such a study. I beleive it's been pretty apparent that men react this way. There are plenty of women out there who have been exploiting this very weakness for thousands of years. You find stories about the same weaknesses in mythology and religious texts.

The conclusion is pretty clear. Men get stupid around pretty ladies. Gee, who knew?*LoL* My thoughts exactly ^^

Luck_Sharingan_Sakura
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
hmmm....interesting..very interesting good studying MaruDasi....

Sagat
07-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I've had plenty very attractive women try to screw me over some way and all failed horribly. This study applies to your average, unthinking Joe ruled by his loins and not his mind.

Eris
07-11-2006, 10:05 PM

Just because something is obvious it doesen't hold any water scientifically, that is until it's undergone a study.

This is because a lot of "obvious" things are wrong. Just have a look at the world, it looks very flat. It isn't. For milennia people never bothered to check whether or not it actually was so, because it was so obviously flat.

Sakura Holic
07-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Well...I think its true...and it IS...I mean..My dad...he does go crazy around pretty girls..
One time, my dad was driving...and there was this pretty looking girl on the side walk walking...he was STARING at HER instead of looking straight ahead paying attetion like he was supposed to. So we almost got into an accident....

Tigris
07-11-2006, 10:07 PM
And what a disgrace. No control is what makes men seem, and even sometimes change into, impulsive, lustful, and disgusting freaks. Thank you for the statistics, Maru. But this was pretty much common sense, but nembers make things more realistic to others...
Too bad common sense is not so much 'common'. But thank you for the good, and INTELLEGENT, topic Maru...
Tigris =~.~=

Master Of Shred
07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Me? Nahhh lol

viewtyjoe
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Depends on the pretty lady and the situation, says me. If it's a girl I happen to be interested in, then it's probably going to have a greater effect. Otherwise, I tend to focus on the task at hand, unless it's really boring. So yes, if I was doing something really boring and a pretty girl I know/am interested in walks by, I'm probably going to ignore my boring task to take a look.

Sinnaku
07-11-2006, 10:57 PM
I totally agree with Li Kishiro. There's no way i'm gonna lose a few bucks because i'm distracted by a sexy lady. It's money.

This reminds me of one episode of Seinfeld where two of the main characters were driving down the street and there was a woman wearing nothing up top but a bra. They swerved off the road, crashed, and sued the woman for 150 thousond dollars.

I don't think the picture will affect anything. The real thing? Maybe. Slight chance. For me anyways.

This study had baffled me. Why anyone would care is beyond me. But even I know a good many pervs and gimps who have never had decision making made difficult because they saw the new Victoria's Secret catalog. Never.

But you know, if a skank wants people to take pictures of her in her skivvies then well, it's obvious she's only there to think about and "visualize." There's no metaphor for how obvious that is.

And Diesel, i'm sorry but yes, it is. What Regex said was true and practical. The people who conducted this study are either so out of options they have nothing important to study or they are a bunch of femminists seeking to damage the male's reputation when by doing something like this they only prove what a lack of insight they have.

'Nuff said... 'Nuff said.

International 4-8818
09-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah, this is the weekness of a male. Last year i sat next to a really really hot girl that would wear well very very skimpy clothing. Guess what i got for my half semester grade? D+ Yeah i got so angry that i transfered out of the class. Yeah i really don't think that they needed to make a study out of it. It is just basic knowledge that a man would stop what he is doing to see whats going on. Yeah...............

*insertjapanesenamehere*
09-22-2006, 08:50 PM
lol figures...

.Gogo
09-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I knew there was a reason I was born as a woman!

Lol great facts there Maru ^^ I find it especially funny that they have yet to find a visual that will stimulate the same effect in women... *cough*thatsbecausewomenaresuperior*cough*

lol jk jk don't slit my throat now <3

*Aphrodite*
09-22-2006, 09:10 PM
(1) men are really naughty in nature when exposed to gorgeous ladies..

ooops, no offense to men..

but i just think they really are..

it's like giving feeds to the chicken..

of course, they would probably eat it..

i just hope you get the logic..;)

NOTE: my first statement is only my opinion..

Bean Bandit
09-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I knew there was a reason I was born as a woman!

Lol great facts there Maru ^^ I find it especially funny that they have yet to find a visual that will stimulate the same effect in women... *cough*thatsbecausewomenaresuperior*cough*

lol jk jk don't slit my throat now <3
*coughs*

malls, money, jewels, chocolate, credit cards, clothes, knick nacks, perfumes, makeup, beaughty shops, manicures etc...

Gjallarhorn
09-23-2006, 12:37 AM
@ Maid Mia: A study (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1971720.cms) I heard about on the news a few days ago begs to differ when the female-superiority theory. Not that men are superior, but it does some work against your theory. Anyway, this thead isn't about that, now is it?

As for the subject at hand, no one should be suprised by this. We've know about this for thousands of years. Of course, this does not apply to all men, as quite a few of us know better than to let certain desires do the thinking instead of our brains. Men like things about women. Big deal. The same applies to the reverse situation, and of course with women and material objects, as humorously stated in a blunt fashion by Bean Bandit.

White Wolf Of Solomon
09-23-2006, 12:40 AM
"Girls dont like boys, Girls like cars and money"

I remember I sort of liked that song :rolleyes:

I<3ShellShock
09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Well, it is true about SOME men. Not all men go around flirting with other girls. I don't most of the time.-Most-. It really don't bother me to sit there and flirt with other girls when I have a girlfriend. I have more important stuff as working. O.o;

Elena
09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Its a bit sad really. Pretty girls with a nice rack have the same power as Jedi mind powers on most men.

I<3ShellShock
09-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Woman can't accuse men of being flirts. They know theyt all the time. They have a way of hiding it. Men don't. Because, girls when they are younger flirt all the time. They grow up the same way.They say they don't flirt because the have a boyfriend/husband.And then we get treated like crap.So they flirt all the time.I say as much as men.Men might flirt more, but woman flirt also, just like men.When I cam to a guy shirtless in my magazine, they stole it, ripped it out. Looked through the other pages ripped the ones the wanted, and gave it back.So it's really not men flirt all the time.I don't really flirt.All the girls around me flirt.And yes I flirt everyonce in a while."God", must have put something in a male to make him flirt. Not sure why she just said about the male. But anyway, can't let the females beat us. And girls say," Oh, guys are worthless."Just to say, we work more than you if it's a true man.And us males help create you.If "Adam" wasn't there, we wouldn't be here.But, yes guys do flirt.But girls don't say they flirt, but they do.I understand why some don't, guys get worked up if they do.When they flirt like it's a job.Just saying.Enough said.

Tschita
09-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Maybe I will act different if I see a cute girl in front of me. BUT I WILL NEVER ACT DIFFERENT BECAUSE I GOT A PICTURE OF SOME GIRLS thats for sure.

Ookie
09-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Maru you pick up the best info... will try distract our Math proff from giving us a test!

I<3ShellShock
09-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I say this is a worthless thread. I could say some embarrasing stuff about woman.O.o;
I said alot of stuff. But I don't look into stuff like this.

BoldMushroom
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
First of all, because I haven't seen anyone cite this yet...

Source: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4921690.stm)

Secondly... there's something I don't get about this study. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

The article says:

Each group was then paired up to play a game where the men had $10, a proposer had to suggest a split, and the other man accepted or rejected the offer.

If the second man accepted the offer, the money was distributed in agreement with the offer. If he rejected it, neither partner got anything.

The men's performance in the tests showed those who had been exposed to the "sexual cues" were more likely to accept an unfair offer than those who were not.
I don't understand this. If the second man declines the offer, no one gets any money. So, if the alternative to accepting an unfair split is getting no money at all, then wouldn't it be natural to accept an unfair offer - to get some money? Or are the men not told that they will not get any money if they decline the offer?

Maybe the article just does a poor job of explaining the experiment.

Either way... I don't like studies like this. Will the time, money, and effort spent on this study have any constructive benefit? It seems so pointless.

Piper
09-24-2006, 10:01 PM
This is completely out of my jurisdiction. </3

Jewel <3
09-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I've had plenty very attractive women try to screw me over some way and all failed horribly. This study applies to your average, unthinking Joe ruled by his loins and not his mind.You sound like an "average, unthinking Joe" to me...

On a side note.. My index is shorter than my ring. I am very sensative to good looking women. There is a good looking girl in my english class and I stared at her for an hour and a half without paying attention to the teacher. I guess that part of the study is correct.

How can you argue with results? Im assuming those college students were not dumb like some construction workers or mc donalds employees who are 40.

I<3ShellShock
09-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Well, you can watch music videos and tell men are looking at the women.I'm not sure why -some- men act that way. MaruDashi got a test where they all act that way. It might be true, they all do, and are hiding it. I'm suprised how you men react this way.
Now I think about it, this is an odd thread. O.o;

Anime is poison
09-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey, we're men. I know its not much of an excuse, but we just have the tendency to be more "active" than women. Women probably are too, they just hold it back better, lol. But yeah, a guy would be more likely to help a younger woman cross the road over an older woman. We tend to hang out with our gals over our buddies (I get yelled at for the "bros before....well you know the other part"). Guys can be pretty sad creatures, but you peeps probably already knew that, lol. Please forgive us ladies.:D

-Naota-
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
wow ide so fall for that lol (that ring finger things is prety interesting....*measures fingers*)

Ωmega
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Hmm, my index is also shorter than my ring finger...
Anyway, Im surprised this thread is still up and running! I posted this because I thought men would try to argue the conclusions of the test studies, but so far not many of you have. You all seem to agree XD!

Piper
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought men would try to argue the conclusions of the test studies, but so far not many of you have. You all seem to agree XD!
I don't even notice a woman, let alone become stupid around her. O_o

Ωmega
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't even notice a woman, let alone become stupid around her. O_o-Tries to seduce Pip-
Is it working?

Saejima Kouga
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Sometimes Piper, it's just best to smile and nod and let them think they're right. ^_^;;

Ωmega
09-25-2006, 06:31 PM
=0
Vee...hush. Pip may be a challenge, but Im sure youre easy to get to ;D
<3

Princess Cupcake
09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Some guys may be homosexual so pretty ladies would not phase them. I know a lot of pervy guys. It's natural but many times has it gotten on my nerves.

Regex
09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Uhm.. This was a study that demonstrated the common reactions. It was by no means meant to say "All men can't think when there's a pretty lady around"
It's meant to say "A pretty lady often will adversely affect the judgement of men."

Saejima Kouga
09-25-2006, 08:33 PM
=0
Vee...hush. Pip may be a challenge, but Im sure youre easy to get to ;D
<3 I don't fall for just anyone.

Seņor Nobody
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I have seen no such effects on me. I am unaffected by both of the genders, and am almost always able to think clearly. I'm not saying this isn't true cause I've seen many a male go crazy over a pretty face. I'm just saying that Sagat, Kishiro, and some others that have said that it may not effect all men.

judu870
09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
that is interesting that is hard to believe but that is interesting good post keep on posting

Capernicus
09-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Men get stupid around pretty ladies. Gee, who knew?
Yeah, men AND me. XDDD They don't have to look far to find what affects my decision-making skills. *cough*

razzen88
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
im not really surprised. at all. alot of people base things on what they percieve. nothing new about that

NinjaMaster18
09-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I know that haveing pretty girls near me makes it harder to consentrate, but I believe that I would still have the same ability to reason. Now if a pretty girl was trying to sell me something for a slightly higher price or something I might be affected, but the mear presence of atractive women doesn't effect my judgement. Even if I did buy something from a atractive women for an increased price, I would contoiusly make the decision, not just be destracted. My Index finger is slightly shorter than my ring finger so that might have something to do with it.

-Naota-
09-27-2006, 06:40 AM
lol well im not going to argue...... i probably would fall for the bad deal

Anime is poison
09-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Very well put. I got signed up for so much crap its unreal. Just shows you my skills of decision making :glare:

~Oukoku Inmetsu
09-27-2006, 01:07 PM

The conclusion is pretty clear. Men get stupid around pretty ladies. Gee, who knew?
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Anime is poison
09-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Eh, I've read money spent a lot worse.

I<3ShellShock
09-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, I don't go flirt, but sometimes woman catch the eyes of a man's eye. And then you know the rest, his girlfriend slaps him hlaf way around the room. But yes, we are sorry creatures in life.. >_>

GodOrDevil?
09-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Well...I think its true...and it IS...I mean..My dad...he does go crazy around pretty girls..
One time, my dad was driving...and there was this pretty looking girl on the side walk walking...he was STARING at HER instead of looking straight ahead paying attetion like he was supposed to. So we almost got into an accident....
I know plenty of guys and girls that do that.

That study was such a waste of time. It's like studying if your going to get wet, if you dip your bare hand in A bowl water. DUH! I guess they have nothing better to do than studying the obvious.