PDA

View Full Version : Greek Gods

animeglobe
04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
well as many of you know during the roman times there was to believe that greek gods were real and so on and do forth. but my is question do you actually believe that there were many Greek gods during those time or do you tihnk that there fake and the romans were crazy.

Vespa
04-09-2006, 09:45 AM
i think back then the were just a bit silly and they decided to make random things there gods

Sayoran
04-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Hmm... I've always wanted to use this smilie and now I can!! *xD* :weirdthre

Haha - don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be mean - it's probably just me but I have no idea what this thread is suppost to be asking of me reply-wise. *LoL* ;)

Sagat
04-09-2006, 10:06 AM
the fact that they merely stole the greek religion and put roman names on to the gods/goddesses is proof enough to me they were crazy

or smart. perhaps the emperor at the time realized what a powerful control tool religion was.

animeglobe
04-09-2006, 10:07 AM
it's simple do you think that the greek gods were really real or if they wre fake and the romans were crazy lil people

Zedekiah
04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
the fact that they merely stole the greek religion and put roman names on to the gods/goddesses is proof enough to me they were crazy

or smart. perhaps the emperor at the time realized what a powerful control tool religion was.
Why, I'd almost think you knew who Constantine was from that statement.

Anyway, Romans adopted several gods and goddesses from the Ancient Greek in their time, but then again, Greek religion and the Greek language was highly respected and having Greek teachers and the like was considered classy.

Besides, from the Romans' time of conquest, most notably the Pax Romani under Octavian/Augustus, they made the part of taking what's best and leaving the rest an art that none have managed to immitate this far in history. More so, the Romans managed to expand and include by actually assimilating religion that way. They conquered an area, figured the gods and goddesses the natives worshipped were similar to their own and merely re-named their deities into the Roman ones. Ingenious, if you ask me.
But feel free to call it theft, I don't expect anyone here to realize the grandeur of the Romans.

Sayoran
04-09-2006, 11:58 AM
it's simple do you think that the greek gods were really real or if they wre fake and the romans were crazy lil peopleOh okay - sorry *><;* heh, well I don't believe in the Ancient Greek Gods - but I think the Ancient Greek's mythology is so beautiful...

In my opinion the Romans have always been crazy - in a lot of ways *>_>;* but they still remain even now as the most successful empire in the history of the world so they had to be doing something right ^^;

Bibi of the Blue Sea
04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh okay - sorry *><;* heh, well I don't believe in the Ancient Greek Gods - but I think the Ancient Greek's mythology is so beautiful...

i agree with you.
although the Romans took just about everything from the Greeks (which is why historians say that Greece conquered her conquerer), they are the most successful empire in history b/c of their form of government and control of their economy. the Pax Romana is proof of that.

however, i do enjoy reading Greek myths since there is so much you can learn from it.

Dark Lord
04-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Who are you to say what is real and unreal. Im sorry but I say they were real but I dont believe in them. I know that I am contradicting myself but the line between reality and imagination isnt very clear to me now.

Luzifer
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
It doesn't matter if they were real or not it was the fact that they were believed to be real (correct or not) that matters. It was a development from the oral tradition of the greeks that sophisticated itself as the greek culture expanded and then was devoured by the romans along with the greecian lands... all that matters is that people acted based upon their beliefs in these gods

Lord Garma Zabi
04-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I suppose is our civilization, it is a bit easier to believe in one god over many gods, but lets face it. None of it can be proven. Sure, there were times when supposedly a Roman god was mad, and there wasn't any rain. Or there is a 'miracle' happening. But, it can't be proven. The day you can find me proof that any god, or gods, exsist, then I really see no reason to debate other people's when we can't even back up our own. As George Carlin said, lets all hail the sun.
It creates life
It keeps us warm
It keeps us alive
It can be seen
It can be proven to exsist
5 good reasons to put faith in the sun.:D

Dr.McDoom!
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Hmm... I aint' Herodot, but, my thought is this:
The greeks invented the gods(or probably stole the idea from the Egipteans) mainly for making up their myths and teaching ppl something from those. The Romans quickly copied their gods and added that every Cezar is a god like all the others and will be fully deifyed after gis death, wich was an extra reason for the peasants to obey. But they weren't so involved into this religion as the Christian(wich are absolute FANATICS). Also, the Dacians (the people of my origin) had copyed this late fad from the greeks, replacing Zeus with Zamolxe and changing the way of life of the people.
In the mean time, Hebrews that have been in Egipt return to Israel and having studied the Egiptean wits(the use of Gods to controll ppl), they started to write dogmas, scrolls etc. about gods and they made up the (old)Testament, where there was new innovation: There was only one god. This doctrine was specially wrtitten by the Judes for the Romans wich was carried by Mr."Saint Peter" to Rome where he started to fester Rome with Christian Fanatics. That was the end of Imperator Nero and the beggining of a new age. This rebelion in Rome was probably planned intentionally by the Hebrews.
So, you see, Gods are nothing but puppets pulled by human hands, their form of existance is only in the human vocalism and immagination.

Please read above. Walk the earth as fools no more!

Capernicus
04-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey, those gods aren't so bad. I personally don't really care if they Greeks copied the Romans or vice versa. I don't believe that any of them exist personally, but I do have a soft spot for them. Aphrodite is my personal favorite. Goddes of love and wine and fertility. And beauty of course. ^_^ Honorable mention to Poseidon (cool name, almost made it my username but couldn't spell it >.<).

If you think those gods are crazy, then you should check out the Aztec ones. You can't even pronounce those. technochitlan=we teh ze te pop ta ly >.< Riiiiiight.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey, those gods aren't so bad. I personally don't really care if they Greeks copied the Romans or vice versa. I don't believe that any of them exist personally, but I do have a soft spot for them. Aphrodite is my personal favorite. Goddes of love and wine and fertility. And beauty of course. ^_^ Honorable mention to Poseidon (cool name, almost made it my username but couldn't spell it >.<).

If you think those gods are crazy, then you should check out the Aztec ones. You can't even pronounce those. technochitlan=we teh ze te pop ta ly >.< Riiiiiight.
Correction: Aphrodite is the goddess of love and beauty while Dionysus is the god of wine and fertility.

Tenochtitlan is pronounced as "teh-NOCH-te-LON" very simple.

always glad to help out :laugh:

ShadowtheWarWolf
04-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I think that's there is no such thing as greek gods.

Keitaru-san
04-09-2006, 07:05 PM
they werent silly nore did make random things up.

its start with someone strong fro example hercules, someone was incerdibly strong, but not in human strong, stroner than normals he did somthing and people start talking about it and made it bigger and bigger and turned into myth thats how its done.

Yuki_89
04-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Em.. well. I think it's too nice. I mean, eventhough they created it, i think it's pretty cool. Like, Perseus, Aphrodite... it's an interesting mythology. Admit it, the names are beautiful. moreover, the names of the planets and zodiacs are based on them.

BlueJade
04-09-2006, 11:58 PM
greek gods unreal.

Crimson Phoenix
04-10-2006, 12:03 AM
oh the Greek Gods were real to them, I dont doubt that, but I think I'll stick with Yaweh :p

Capernicus
04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Correction: Aphrodite is the goddess of love and beauty while Dionysus is the god of wine and fertility.

Tenochtitlan is pronounced as "teh-NOCH-te-LON" very simple.

always glad to help out :laugh:>.< Crap, I was caught. I haven't had history in a while, so forgive me. My bad on both of those. But I know there is one Aztec god with that pronunciation, I just can't remember which one. The last time I ever try to bluff my way through something with Bibi running around...

anime OG
04-10-2006, 02:28 PM
I am think........well....uhhhhhhhhhh!! I like Poseidon the water god but I don't believe he or the others was real or maybe............ I am so confused???? X__X

Seldrima
04-10-2006, 02:30 PM
I think the romans were crazy xD, they DID drink alot..then vomit afterwards >.<;; But it was what they believed.

Zantetsuken
04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
well as many of you know during the roman times there was to believe that greek gods were real and so on and do forth. but my is question do you actually believe that there were many Greek gods during those time or do you tihnk that there fake and the romans were crazy.

The question can't be whether they existed or not, its who believed in them or not. All I have to point out is this. The Greek Gods may or may not have been real or believed in, but you have to know the Roman Gods are BS. When Romans took over and wiped out the Greeks, they took their religion and made it their own. So Greek is authentic, and Roman is rip-off.

animeglobe
04-10-2006, 05:18 PM
alot of you have some intresting point but there was a time when i use to beleive in them but now i don't

Ami~chan
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Believing in the Greek/Roman gods is no more absurd or stupid than believing in Christ or Buddha.

While the Romans did borrow many gods from the Greek (and just renamed'em while keeping a few the same) they had a few different ones as well. I'm not going to get into all of that right now...

And no, the Romans were certainly not crazy. In fact, they were a very developed people and by no means barbaric or caveman-ish.

JustAGirl
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
The Greeks used the gods and goddesses as a way to explain the unexplainable. Their myths were the stories explaining why something was the way it was. Like with Apollo and his lover Hyacinth, when Apollo accidentally killed Hyacinth he made him part of the earth, which is where we get the Hyacinth flower and apparently they had a lot of red/pink ones because the blood from his wound is how they got the color. They used myths to explain the seasons even, with the story of Demeter and Persephone. Yes, the Romans were influenced by the Greeks in their culture, language, and mythology, to name a few. The Romans were also influenced by the Etruscans, who were in turn influenced by the Greeks. The Greek people brought their colonies to Italy pre-dating the Roman people, which is one reason why the Greeks were looked up to as the high society. The Romans weren't even around at this point. The Roman trinity of Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva orginially came from the Etruscan trinity of Tinia, Uni, and Menrva, showing that there was more influence than just the Greeks. For just about every Greek god, there is a Roman couterpart.

To the Romans, yes the gods were real. Each river had its own deity because to them, the rivers running without any aid showed that it was alive, meaning anything that moves is considered alive. Life was completely different in their time, and to just brush it off and call them "crazy" is not right. Sure some of the things that they did may seem odd to us, but that was the way it was done.

hameht
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
I agree with Nokizaru and I'd love to believe in Greek myths...Like combine greek myths with Christianity somehow like the almighty creator of the world couldn't take upon all tasks at once and he summoned creatures of unworldly powers to watch over what he could not.....BUT I just can't believe in such things. *Sigh* Only in my fantasy land.