View Full Version : [TV series] BECK

wizz-o-matic
03-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Title: BECK
Jap. Kanji: ベック
Synonyms: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
Genre: Music, Shounen
Type: TV (26 episodes)
Year: 2004-2005 (07.10.2004 till 31.03.2005)
Companies: MADHOUSE

Plot:
Tanaka Yukio, better known by his nickname Koyuki is a 14 year old who feels disconnected from life in general. Through the act of saving a mismatched dog, he meets guitarist Minami Ryuusuke, and becomes involved in Ryuusuke`s new band BECK. Koyuki`s life starts to change as the band struggles towards fame.

Story (9/10):
Finally, something different than usual stories; a story related to the young rock bands in Japan and their breaking through to the top. ^_^
It has a nice development. It can be classified as a dramatic one, although, it isn’t really so dramatic overall (just at some points).
Personally, I liked it ^^ Especially it’s interesting to see a rock band with a hip-hop oriented singer xD
Eh, yeah … there are also some funny scenes …

Animation (8.5/10):
Hm, no big eyes, no shiny hairstyles xD. Its art is quite simple, but still good ^_^ The chars are well drawn, the scenery is better, but the best are the guitars. While watching it, you can notice a bit of 3D computer graphic, especially around the guitars, which btw, are really well drawn.
The only thing that bothered me is that the animation (mouth moving) didn’t really follow the chars talking from time to time, especially when singing. Also … sometime you may also notice a flaw in synchronization with the song and guitars playing, nonetheless it’s still great.

Music/Voice acting (9/10):
Finally, improved Engrish … although … you still hear it xD
Yeah … there are quite a lot of English conversations in this anime, sometimes also an English-Japanese mix, that was quite funny to hear xD (The Main char – Koyuki still sings in Engrish xD)
Other than that, the char voices are well chosen.

The OST is also quite good, they included a lot of rock music, as also some other styles (some pop and also rap).

Characters (8/10):
Among all the chars the most interesting is Koyuki, the one that develops the most during the series. At the start he was a loser who didn’t really know what to do in his life. He didn’t realize his talents. He’s really good at singing, and also at playing the guitar later in the series. A hard working one, tho a bit coward.
The other chars are also unique their way. Like Chiba with his funny faces, or Ryuusuke being sarcastic in his own way from time to time xD

Overall (9/10):
That was a good anime, something different than usual, I suggest it to anyone that kinda likes a bit dramatic and rock oriented animes. I was kinda touched by it ^_^;

Gjallarhorn
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Story: (9/10) I first watched this when the 4th episode aired. I was not that impressed at first, but I changed my mind quickly. It is a great coming-of-age story, that was put together well. There are many music-based anime out there, but this one definatly takes the cake.

Art/Animation: (9/10) The animation was smooth, and the art style was simple. It went together great. Although there were a few parts which had some proportion-difficulties, it was well done. Not the best around, but still well done.

Music/Audio: (9/10) Considering that the Beat Crusaders, one of my favorite jrock bands, did the opening, it caught my attention. I liked all the music in it, despite the engrish. It all sounded great, and the meanings of each song were understandable. The voice acting was good as well, but the engrish sounded rather emotionless.
I also like that there were two OSTs: Beck and Keith. Beck containing the music as it was done by the voice-actors for the show, and Keith, having the original songs by the original artists.

Characters: (8.5/10) Definatly a strong point of the series. There is a lot of development of individual characters, and the relationships between characters throughout the series, happening at a quick pace. Koyuki is a great example of the level of development a character should have in an anime. Although, I was rather disappointed at the semi-cliffhanger-relationship of Koyuki and Maho.

Overall: (9/10) A great series for those who like series with a little something to it that just gets you into it. It tends to pull you into it, and gets you hooked quickly.

_CTA_
03-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Story: (9/10) I really love it. They were some underground band and they became big and famous. I really dig the band too. I do wish that Eddie didn't get shot.

Art/Animation: (8/10) I was a bit disappointed when I saw the manga, but when I saw the anime, my opinion went 180 degrees. Like Xero said, some proportionality problems.

Music/Audio: (10/10) I like the way it goes rock and rap. So cool. I really love it when Koyuki sings. Even though at first, when I heard the first OST, I couldn't understand anything untill I read the lyrics, I love the melody.

"I was made to hit in America..."

Characters: (10/10) They're perfect. Even though sometimes they aren't working as a team, but they're great. I, personally, admire Ryuusuke/Ray even though he's a drinker. He thinks that the band is the most important thing in his life. But still, the best is Koyuki, a wimp who became admired by everyone. And Taira... he's hot! XD

Overall: (9.5/10) A great anime, with a great story. Whoever watches/read this will get addicted really fast.