PDA

View Full Version : Most important qualities for an anime to have?

shadow Hiei
03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
What are the most important qualities for an anime to have?

For me, the most important quality is good characters. I can sit through the corniest storyline and the crappiest, most ridiculous fights if I like watching the characters interact with each other. (see Ikkitousen) On the other hand, if I hate or am indifferent to (or just mildly fond of) the entire cast, I'll have a hard time getting into the story and those awesome fights won't mean as much. (see Cowboy Bebop)

Second most important is pacing. If they progress everything through serious discussion, it gets boring, and I have a hard time liking anything about it, including the characters. If its just bang chop slash all the time, I won't be bored, and its better than nonstop talking, but you won't get to know the characters as well, and it probably won't be as memorable as it would have been if they had put in some down time to add some more layers to their characters.

Third most important would be storyline. Isn't that why you watch serious anime? To see cool characters trying to work their way through a deep (and possibly dark) plot? Wondering how they're going to mess with their character's lives next, how or even if Griffith is going to turn on Guts, what NERV's true objective is, if whoever in FMA is really as nice as they're putting on, if your favorite is going to end up getting killed off before the series is done, and the like? That's why I got into anime in the first place.

Opinionated
03-26-2006, 04:42 PM
An end. Animes without an end turn into to filler. Yes, I am referring to Naruto.

Fetal Fetish
03-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Storyline, of course.

Demon-Ki
03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
What are the most important qualities for an anime to have?

For me, the most important quality is good characters. I can sit through the corniest storyline and the crappiest, most ridiculous fights if I like watching the characters interact with each other. (see Ikkitousen) On the other hand, if I hate or am indifferent to (or just mildly fond of) the entire cast, I'll have a hard time getting into the story and those awesome fights won't mean as much. (see Cowboy Bebop)

Second most important is pacing. If they progress everything through serious discussion, it gets boring, and I have a hard time liking anything about it, including the characters. If its just bang chop slash all the time, I won't be bored, and its better than nonstop talking, but you won't get to know the characters as well, and it probably won't be as memorable as it would have been if they had put in some down time to add some more layers to their characters.

Third most important would be storyline. Isn't that why you watch serious anime? To see cool characters trying to work their way through a deep (and possibly dark) plot? Wondering how they're going to mess with their character's lives next, how or even if Griffith is going to turn on Guts, what NERV's true objective is, if whoever in FMA is really as nice as they're putting on, if your favorite is going to end up getting killed off before the series is done, and the like? That's why I got into anime in the first place.What he said. Shameless fanservice can be amusing too. XP

Kraddius Max
03-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Music, cuz music is my fuel...>.>
and i think the characters should be well-thought, and the storyline, and the mixing of everything together, like the animations, adowable drawings.... makes a perfect anime^^

bakakame
03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I'd rate the 3 most important things as....

1 - Good story. It doesn't even need to be a story, wait, that doesn't make sence..... well, I lack the english skills to put the thought into words, but I rate this at #1.

2 - Good body. And by body I mean the actual telling of the story (of course the other never hurts). If it's a good story but told in a boring way, that hurts the show.

3 - Animation. I say this because most of the older anime's give me motion sickness trying to watch them, shows like Robotech and the older Gundams I couldn't really watch without getting a dizzy headache and vomiting. Well, I guess it's better than giving epileptics a seizure though..... Either way make it look tolerable or don't bother animating it.

lorie
03-26-2006, 11:36 PM
actually you need more than just one of those basics to make the anime work otherwise its a flop

General Ike
03-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Mostly a good pace and a good story shall make wonders.

And also, that the series must end at some point, and not end up with a mad number of filler episodes (Cof cof... ball-trapped monsters, the dog-eared man, the blonde ninja, to make some examples)

lorie
03-27-2006, 09:54 AM
i rely care about the quality of an anime though because i like clear showings not rusty ones - if anyone gets what im trying to say

Chewbaka
03-27-2006, 10:10 AM
For me, the storyline makes the anime.

anime OG
03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
An end. Animes without an end turn into to filler. Yes, I am referring to Naruto. Funny!!!!!

Faceless111
03-29-2006, 04:03 PM
It must have good character and a progressing storyline. Naruto and Inuyasha are prime examples of what anime shouldn't have.

Wilder
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Characters always make an anime the greatest. Storyline is my second choice. Characters just make storyline slightly more bareble XD!

Bibi of the Blue Sea
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
to me its a well thought out and organized storyline that makes it worth watching followed closely by a variety of deep characters and then the animation.

what makes a storyline good is that its solid. there are no plot holes in it.
as for characters...well as long as they require more than one word to fully describe them. that is they are described through their actions and speech not just by the author.
and lastly the animation isnt really that important to me that much but i do enjoy nice and clean animations.

Souhi
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Characters overall, only because i see so many animes get dragged down by shallow characters. Now this is just my opinion, no offence to fans, but Inuyasha is a prime example of this. I wont go into detail, but a show with bad charcters just wont work for me. It's personally irritating.

kurosaki
04-12-2006, 02:36 AM
It must be Good Storyline...

Despite of how good the anime characters are, if the storyline is bad, we will get bored...

_allismine_
04-12-2006, 05:56 AM
It has to have well-rounded characters, a stable storyline, a unique characteristic, and realistic to at least some point.
The most important thing for me is PROGRESSION. I hate getting into an anime, and it continuing without any major progressions in storyline, AND DOES NOT show any sign of stopping the fillers. Just going on, and on, and on, and on...and on...

Like the energizer bunny.
Anime like this? DB, DBZ, DBGT, InuYasha, Pokemon.

Avore
04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
I think the most important qualities for an anime to have is a good story, some deepness in it, well developed characters, and action and romance.

Darth Tyranus
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
The pacing and character devlopment are by far the most important aspects, animation doesn't bother me good or bad. However if it's LAZY then I mind.

Aisu Hinate
04-12-2006, 02:22 PM
There had to be a balance between good characters and good story. If there are no cool characters that interest me, then I get bored of the show. If the story isn't deep, then it's boring because I like it when you find out a secret about a character that you never knew before. Animation and voices have to be good also for me, I'm a voice critict. I also like to hace CHANGES in the story line, which Inuyasha doesn't have. It's all about Naraku.

Demon-Ki
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
An end. Animes without an end turn into to filler. Yes, I am referring to Naruto.
Pokemon, anyone?

Aisu Hinate
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Pokemon, anyone?
GOD!!! That show like is the worst anime show ever. It never ends, the story is stupid, and the characters are gay. It also never ends. That's the stupidest (I don't think there's such word) anime show ever. Pokemon and Zatch Bell.

jewel2sparkle
04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I would say originality above all else.

Aisu Hinate
04-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Shows that end quickly in lets say 50-70 episodes. That way, you don't get sick of it, and want to watch the older episodes again,

Souhi
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Pokemon, anyone?Ah yes. The infamous Pokemon series. The show that just doesn't know when to die. First it was 100 episodes , then 250, then 500. Anyone else find the word " repetitve " come to mind? Every episode is a rewrite of the last with slightly altered names, and different looking weirdo creatures. When a show won't end, it mght as well not end. I'll take a good ending, over a long running filler crammed show anyday. Well Naruto is a special case. At least for now.

philmaster628
04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
i say: Good pacing. I like a good mix between action/comedy and drama.

GreyFox37
04-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, so many of those romance comedies are becoming blasted Tenchi clones with different plots. I have to say a Cowboy Bebop flow: Awesome characters, fun and funny moments, suspense, dark or character-oriented episodes with a GREAT plot, action, and some decent sex scenes (consenting, of course).

Iya
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Close call between character and storyline but I would have to say storyline.

If it's good, it can have crappy characters.