PDA

View Full Version : What is your View on the no beating law?

Lord Menomaru
02-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I know what that law means. It means aslong as you only spank them on the bottom, only hard enough to warm there bottom, it's ok. But I want to know what you think the law means. so feel free to speak your mind. :)

pyrothunder336
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I think the law is stupid and it will only cause more selfish, spoiled adults into the world. If someone can't beat their kids hard enough for them to get the point then they will never stop being bad kids. At least I know I wouldn't have if my mom didn't do so for me.

galdon
02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
you spare the rod, you spoil the child, thats why this generation has so many more bad people, not enough control on the parents side.

En Svensk Tiger
02-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Has it ever occurred to you that it might be possible to raise a kid who is not spoiled nor a brat, without hitting it?

Word is it has been done.

Alien Sinn
02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Beatings. Made illegal for a logical reason. If parents hit their kids repeditively over the course of their lifetime, the child will grow up thinking that it is OK to hit someone. And it is not. Child Abuse is a big problem in America, adults are not smart enough to handle issues with the kids, so they result to violence. And what does that teach the kids? It has been proven that when kids grow up, every action has a root that came from something the parents would. In other words, 78% of kids take after their parents in the comming of age years. Parents that violently assault their children are just showing them how to violently assault in general.

Dr.McDoom!
02-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I think beating on your kids is necessary(with moderation, of course). Not with violence, you'll scare them. And only for a reason. I've been beaten a lot too, and what did i become? Well, personally, i don't like myself for what i am. I want to beat the crap out of my father, soon.

Nespa
02-12-2006, 08:54 AM
as long as i remember neither me or my brother were hit, it was mostly take away the favorite toy and stuf. A hit is not necesary if you have alternatives 'but thats my opinion. But i do see a point in the law only then the qeustion is how far do you go before you call it abuse and thats the tricky part.

Alien Sinn
02-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Well, personally, i don't like myself for what i am. I want to beat the crap out of my father, soon.
Exactly.

Storm Strife
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I can see why it was brought in. However there are times where a young child needs to be slapped (or something else) just hard enough to teach them a lesson. Young children can't really be reasoned with because they don't understand what's wrong with what they're doing.

poppy
02-12-2006, 02:14 PM
its mean to hit children cos they dont really understand right and wrong
i dont htink it helps teach them either
if youre their role model youre teaching them its ok to hit people
what about whem corporal punishment was the norm it just messed people up

Seldrima
03-05-2006, 03:55 PM
The law is silly, have you noticed how when the law WAS NOT in place, there were less ASBO[anti social behavior orders] AND less crimes. A smack doesn't cause mental damage etc. The child learns to connect pain with a bad deed knowing "If I do this, i receive that and i don't want that"

It will also teach them that those actions are wrong. Keeping smacking etc allowed will help to stop these yobs and murderers.

I agree that hitting does sggest that its acceptable, for example the child will be led to believe that."If I don't like you, or what you do, i can hit you" So NOT good.

saskie
03-05-2006, 04:02 PM
The law is silly, have you noticed how when the law WAS NOT in place, there were less ASBO[anti social behavior orders] AND less crimes. A smack doesn't cause mental damage etc. The child learns to connect pain with a bad deed knowing "If I do this, i receive that and i don't want that"

It will also teach them that those actions are wrong. Keeping smacking etc allowed will help to stop these yobs and murderers.

I agree that hitting does sggest that its acceptable, for example the child will be led to believe that."If I don't like you, or what you do, i can hit you" So NOT good.
I agree with you but I do agree with the other posts too... I swear some people are so disrespectful I just have the anger to smack them and then lecture them on everything. I really don't know what else to say...

Eris
03-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Has it ever occurred to you that it might be possible to raise a kid who is not spoiled nor a brat, without hitting it?

Word is it has been done.

It was outlawed in 1979 here in Sweden. Using the same flawed logic that says that unless you beat your kids, they become selfish brats, that would mean everyone that every one that is 36 or younger would be selfish brats? I really don't see that... In fact, the only selfish brats I see today is... well, today's kids. There is no logic in this wave of selfish bratness would come 25 years after outlawing child beating.

Violence and physical punishment is a bad way of raising your child. What it tells your child is that if you don't get it your way, use violence, and that violence is an acceptable way of solving problems.

saskie
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Actually I remember getting whacked by my mom because I did something bad. It did teach me to become more respectable... at times. I usually hit my brothers because they pissed me off and they're being disrespectful to me. But I don't beat them to the point they're coughing out blood and have like deep marks on their skin... I only give them a smack not enough to give a bruise to teach them a lesson and then I would either ask them "Do you know why I hit you?" or give them the lecture.

!.Ski Takeshi.!
03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
"Spare the rod, Spoil the child"

akiko_kalla
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm not really an advocate for spanking in most situations as it doesn't really teach children anything except to try to avoid getting spanked. (Kind of like people obeying traffic laws so they don't get a ticket, not necessarily because they understand why the laws were created. Oftentimes people will break those laws if they think they can get away with it--same goes for spanking.)

But last I checked, if a child was beaten I had to turn the situation in to Child Services. Of course beating a child is wrong, but there's a big difference between beating and spanking, just as there is a big difference between discipline and anger. If you "discipline" the child out of anger, chances are they are going to pick up your emotions, not the lesson. I've been spanked and I've been hit (wouldn't say beaten as that connotation is more severe), and there is a world of difference between them--starting with the reason the parent is doing it in the first place.

Xigre
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
It means that you can hit your kid on the butt twice, really hard, and they MIGHT get the point, but will later get pissed off and rebel, if you continue to do it, because the neighbor kid doesn't get hit on the butt.

Boo hoo. I've been beaten, even when i did nothing wrong. Of course, by brothers, not by parents. This law makes the next generation a load of selfish, spoiled, self-"righteous" morons.

Kristen
06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
As far as I know, it isn't a LAW so much as a "If you do that, you'll get in trouble" kind of thing. o_O.. Not in Michigan, at least. It's called abuse, but that happens not just with children, adults too. [Shrug] It's a good idea to have punishment for things that are morally wrong.

Piper
06-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, I grew up with belts and bats. Literally. My dad was very abusive, until my brothers and I actually started fighting back. I'm not proud of this, but the last time my father did me wrong, was back when I was 14 years old. He thought whipping me with the beltwas the right thing to do, when it in fact bruised my entire bottom and I could barely sit. I was so pissed off, that I kicked him in his stomach.

So do I think you should be allowed to beat your kids? Definitly not. Punish them? Yes. But there are other ways of showing justice to your child, without resorting to violence. Spankings are irrelevent. That should be allowed. Using objects on your children, should not even BE an option.

PS: My dad and I get along just great now. That was far in the past.

But still. There is a piece of me that will not be able to forgive him for it. Not only that, but it's one of the reasons why my parents divorced. My mom did not agree with his ways.

Beatings. No.

Masali
06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I think beatings are fine, as long as they don't get out of hand. When I was little and I was being extremly bad, I'd get a smack on the butt. I got mad, stormed out, and then got over it later. I guess (little) kids can't grasp it today: They're not allowed to do whatever they want, and if they think that they should expect consequences. Now it's *taps kid on the butt when they do something wrong* Kid: WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH

Big messy abuse case, and an inocent man ends up in jail.

Sagat
06-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I think it has it's time and place, but should be used sparingly at best. There are so many more fun and effective ways to let your kid know when it's done wrong, like, I don't know .. burning its favourite video game right in front of them if it stole money.

I'd personally use fitness punishment ... I mean not only does it punish and hurt them without me ever being abusive but it helps them get healthy, it's win-win!

I think the key is early on though. Never give, not an inch. My parents gave and gave and gave - too much. They were guilty of not having much as kids and gave us way too much. I turned out magnificient, but my sister is the typical posterchild of "spoiled". If she doesn't get what she wants she completely degenerates back into the four year old who throws tantrums (only now with a string of curses instead of crying) and occassionally throws objects. It's almost like she is mentally frozen at the exact point where her child-mind realized she could take advantage of them.

Your child should fear you. Not mortally be afraid, but a healthy dose of fear and respect.

Rageling
06-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Severe beatings can leave long lasting mental scars. Basically anything that causes a severe amount of stress, such as extreme pain, will cause the mind to build up barriers against it especially in impressionable minds like children. When a child learns that someone close to them will cause them harm they learn to minimize that threat. These protocols can embed themselves with the mind and even after childhood can result in some serious trust issues.

Basically I don't believe in excessive "spanking", or whatever you want to call it, but I can understand the temptation. There are some little punks that you just want to slap, but in the end it doesn't really do much good.

Ami~chan
06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
There's a difference between beating the crap out of a child and disiplining a kid. Seriously, there is. A smart smack on the bottom can do a child good, but only when necessary. Spankings should be used sparingly; when I was growing up, my dad spanked me every single time I did anything wrong, so I just though "Heck, he'll spank me for everything... Might as well go create havoc!" And I really never learned my lesson.

Different children are different. Some kids listen to lectures, and others don't. You just need to find out what's best for the kid. My younger brother just ignores you if you talk and lecture him, but if you smack'em, he'll listen.

Try not to hit when angry; you don't realize how hard you might be hitting, and might just lose control and go nuts. Always calm down and follow through with the punishment you set; if you tell the kid the punishment is a spanking, follow through with it. Don't soften up and tell them "one more change". Kids take advantage of that.

Daenerys
06-17-2006, 08:37 AM

Word is it has been done.REALLY?!

And that's totally not sarcastic.

I understand that the law is saying it's okay to spank a child. And in no way should it be okay to beat the hell out of it. But to say you can't leave a mark is rediculous. I could lightly slap, as lightly as I could, my own leg, and it would leave a mark. It's like they're telling you to pretend to hit your kids.

I dunno, I never really cared about that law, it never really affected me or bothered me.

Master Of Shred
06-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Old school is the best way to go, get out of line you best let them know they made a mistake 4 sure, otherwise they'll look at you tell you to piss off and turn right around and go do what you told them not to with kudos. I've seen the "non whipping and non punishing" method done, I wanted to kick the moms rear because she looked like an idiot her kid was telling her he'd call the cops on her if she touched him and he was six YEARS OLD! I would have been "ok, well lets go home them" And upon getting there heat his keister a day-glow red and ground him to his room for 2 days, with no tv or anything but books and no going out of the room but to eat and use the bath room. If having good behaviour, then start to slowly give him back things and giving slowly more freedom.

Letting your kids walk on you makes you an idiot, and well there just learning that they don't have to be responsible or anything.

Tsuna Kadiri
06-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Some kids don't listen. Or they do listen, but choose not to pay attention. All kids learn differently, so when one parent says, "Ok honey, make sure you never do that again," that's enough for some kids. Other kids, not so much. You've got to take it a step further.

One spank isn't going to kill the child. If a parent thinks that's the only way their kid will listen to them, then go ahead. Just don't let your temper get the best of you. Sometimes when you're angry, you don't realize how hard you're hitting or what exactly you're doing.

Nighthawk
06-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Spanking kids is like teaching them that might does right. And if it works for the parents it only does until the kid gets the upper hand, and than its daddy getting a beating. Realizing a mistake should not result from beating, and it usually doesnt. And that Sweden banned it in 1979 proves once again how progressive that country is in many ways.

Ωmega
06-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I think a small pat on the bottom is more than enough. Its not enough to severly hurt them, but it does teach them that they will get punished if they do something wrong.
Sure, you could take away their video games and stuff, but I dont think its really all that effective. They can always run off and find something else to do.
When I was young, my parent would hit me. And I would be (emotionally) hurt. After about an hour or so, my parents would come up and apologize, but tell me that what I did was wrong. It was extremly effective on me and my brother.

Gjallarhorn
06-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I think, the no beating law is a good thing. Children who are beaten are more prone to violence and self-abuse later on in life. Also, it often tends to reverse later in life, with the child beating the parents. It give the child the idea that if someone does something wrong, that they should be harmed for it. Barbaric, yes? Also, a beating will not teach a child not to do something. It just installs a fear of pain, and when they are out of sight from parents, they will continue to do what they were doing, so long as they believe the parents will not find out. Rather than beating the child, it would be best to explain in simple terms what they were doing was wrong, that way they actually learn from their mistakes. But like MaruDashi said, a small tap on the bottom along with the explaination would be fine.

Piper
06-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I think a small pat on the bottom is more than enough. Its not enough to severly hurt them, but it does teach them that they will get punished if they do something wrong.
Sure, you could take away their video games and stuff, but I dont think its really all that effective. They can always run off and find something else to do.
When I was young, my parent would hit me. And I would be (emotionally) hurt. After about an hour or so, my parents would come up and apologize, but tell me that what I did was wrong. It was extremly effective on me and my brother. No. Best way to handle a child is to make them SIT. In a chair. And not get off that chair. For however long you want. And in the mean time, take away all activities that they enjoy.

akiko_kalla
06-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Ok, this is the THIRD time I am typing this and I am rather angry so forgive me if this is on the abrasive side.

I see the problem as one that is plaguing society. People are not taking the responsibilty that they should be. They want a quick fix instead of addressing the real problem. Children do things for reasons, even if they are unaware of them. Rather than punishing a child, figure out why the behavior is occurring and then addres it head on.

If you do not, the issue becomes worse once they enter school with adults whose hands are tied--especially if you bail them out or can't believe they would do something like that. And force only goes so far. Speaking from experience, once a child decides not to obey you, there really is very little you can do to control them. Likewise, discussions or taking away priviledges does little good once they decide that what they want is more important than what you could say or do.

If parents spent half the time they spend punishing children trying to figure out what was really going on and fix it, I think most issues would solve themlseves. If you do not understand the behavior, issuing a punishment will only lead both you and your child further from the resolution. Sometimes lack of a response is far more impressive than any form of punishment.

Anime_Otaku
07-09-2006, 08:53 PM

I agree that hitting does sggest that its acceptable, for example the child will be led to believe that."If I don't like you, or what you do, i can hit you" So NOT good.wow your really smart! i agree kids need disipline

Buruku
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I was beaten as a child, and I'm a swell person!

Really, I was always a very good obedient child. I did not make a fuss in the store when I was denied candy, or throw a dang fit when I didnt get my way, I was respectful and knew what I should/ should not do. Same with my brothers.

However, I have seen people turn out fine without physical discipline.

I dont think spanking would teach a child to be violent unless he was beaten in a violent manner. You get what I'm saying? Go ahead and give him a swift swat on the butt, but dont throw him against a wall and get scary about it. Theres a difference......I was beaten with a belt. lol sounds harsh but I really didnt care, I got over it. AND fyi, I'm a very non- violent person. :laugh:

Ansatsusha_18
07-09-2006, 09:22 PM
I think beating a child is out of the question, hitting is abuse, but do they ever stop at what they do wrong? They might do it again. My parents never hit me and here I am, I'm not spoiled at all, but my parents are very kind. BUT if I did do something wrong, they made me do heavy duty wrok in the house and yard, by myself. If I didn't complete, then my day doesn't end till I do. So I believe in that more than anything. It's not abusive, but it gets the point straight. I never did the same wrong thing again after those heavy duty days

Alice_Fallen_Cloud
07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
beating out, spanking in

Miss Moonlight
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm not saying you need to smack your child across the room or throw them out the window, but a swift smack on the bottom when they've done wrong should do well.

But it's meant to teach a lesson when they've done wrong, not because you've had a hard day at the office and feel like taking it out on the closest (little) person next to you.

Viola
07-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I think the law is stupid and it will only cause more selfish, spoiled adults into the world. If someone can't beat their kids hard enough for them to get the point then they will never stop being bad kids. At least I know I wouldn't have if my mom didn't do so for me.
Indeed!

My dad used the belt and my mom a wooden spoon. Once we were spanked we sure as hell didn't do it again. And I consider me and my brother very respectable young adults.

I think there should be spanking, just no beating and or abusing.

Foresight
07-17-2006, 01:10 AM
i say there's no diffrence wether you beat your child or not, it's either born bad or good. but beating them is always a perk i guess, thumbs up from me on the okay to kick the crap out of your kids on a daily basis. :D

Miss Moonlight
07-17-2006, 10:16 AM
i say there's no diffrence wether you beat your child or not, it's either born bad or good. but beating them is always a perk i guess, thumbs up from me on the okay to kick the crap out of your kids on a daily basis. :D
Children AREN'T born 'bad' or 'good'. They learn good or bad actions from whomever ever raises them (most likely, the parent/parents.)

And you think it's great to kick the crap out of your kids on a daily basis? that's cool.