PDA

View Full Version : things that make you go hmmm(2)

tlili
01-21-2006, 02:01 PM
if a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? i dont think so. sure, it creates sound waves, but if there is'nt a pair of eardrums around to translate those waves into comprehendable sound, its just a bunch of silent waves.

Sephy
01-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Quit spamming the forum

zodiak
01-21-2006, 02:22 PM
that's a stupid question, of course it does make sound. All things make a sound. Sure there no one there to hear it, but all things make a sound, do of course it makes a sound. (reapeating myself) Anyway it's just the part about that there's np one there to hear it that influences people to think that it doesn't make a sound. have no idea what i said.

gothic tears
01-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree, that is a stupid question and it's very very old to

Kurama_the_spirit_fox
01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
just because knowone was there to hear it, doesnt mean it didnt make sound.

Storm Strife
01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
You've already created a topic like this. Chances are that this one is going to get closed.

g0d_of_death
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Pft, you guys are all so negative and closed-minded. tlili actually has a good point. Ya this may be a really old question, but its a good topic idea, it gets one thinking if you take the time to.

Did you know that all mammals except for humans see in only two colors, but we see in three? (blue, green, red) But praying mantis' see in 13 different colors. The things that we're looking at aren't actually the colors that we see them to be, it's just our sense of sight that makes them look like that. Our eyes pick up light reflecting off objects in those three colors so technically, when the lights are off, there is no color. So if our eyes can be manipulated to see color, wouldn't you believe that our ears can be manipulated to hear sound?
Like tlili said, sound is just sound waves. Our ears interperet these sound waves and make noise out of them, just like our eyes intereperet light and make colors out of it.

So if there aren't any lights on there isn't any color, wouldn't it be safe to assume that if there aren't any ears there isn't any sound?

Viola
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
That just makes me think of... How do people... who see in 3 colours... KNOW whether mammals see in 2 colours or that preying mantis's see in 13. They can guess.