PDA

View Full Version : [TV series] Fushigi Yuugi

kuroimisa
12-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Fushigi Yuugi A Watase continuation after the Ayashi no Ceres review ^.^
Creator: Yuu Watase | Length: 52 Episodes | TV SERIES

Story (8/10)

As mentioned in my previous Watase review, the story of Fushigi Yuugi is partly borrowed from an existing 'fairy tale' so to speak. This time though, Watase borrowed from the legend that when 7 stars of a constellation gather with a priestess from another world, the mascot [or animal/ God] of the zodiac can be summoned. The Priestess is granted 3 wishes and then can return back to her own world. This sounds a bit corny already and mystical~ but the story does suck you in like a large vacuum cleaner into the bag, because once you get the story of this, you are constantly trying to reveal what happens next.

Mixing ancient Chinese characters with modern day Japanese school students in a blender, Watase's [first] anime "Fushigi Yuugi" does have some flaws [namely ancient Chinese people speaking Japanese o_O], but is still quite enjoyable in terms of the story line and the characters. The fantasy of being able to open a book and fall into another world is rather captivating too~ so be prepared to fall in and out of alternate worlds.

Digging deeper into the story line, there are the love triangles/ rectangles/ pentagons [depending on how you see it] involving these characters and the two priestesses.

Characters (8/10)

All the characters have such a distinct personality in this- plus because this is a rather lengthy series with LOTS of characters [there are after all 4 constellations, each constellation with 7 starts- that's 28 plus all the other modern Japanese characters...].

The main character is Miaka. She isn't intelligent, she's meant to look mousey [well, everyone in the anime keeps calling her ugly and somewhat pudgy...] and at times I really, really want to kill her for her gluttony. I don't think a character in any other series has made me hate them so much like what Miaka has done lol~ which is a good thing in a way. I think the infuriating thing about Miaka is that she doesn't ever learn- she loves food, gets lured into a trap by food, and still loves food, and gets into a trap again. It sounds rather ludicrous, but when you think about it, there are really some people who are like that. There is a quirky love sequence with Miaka, Tamahome, Yui, Hotohori and Nuriko [all in different directions, mind you] - things get complicated. Sort of.

The protagonist male character is Tamahome of the [main constellation] Suzaku. He is the money obsessed young man who has suffered poverty and simply wants money to uphold his family needs. He is also the dashing blue haired guy Miaka and her best friend, Yui are after.

Yui is the intelligent non-Miaka type. What Miaka doesn't have, Yui has, and vice versa. So unfortunately since Miaka has Tamahome, Yui hasn't got him. Due to misunderstanding, Yui becomes the jealous best friend who tries to take revenge on Miaka [who is too naive to notice her best friend actually wants her to die, die, DIE] by summoning the [evil] Seiryuu constellation with her blonde side kick, Nakago who also has a rather pitiful history.

I will just about end the characters for now [you can't possibly talk about all of them in depth], but as a taste tester, the characters are CERTAINLY all very different.

Art/animation (6.5/10)
The art in Fushigi Yuugi is good , but I found that sometimes the colouring or the look of the characters is sometimes warped. Tamahome was too tanned in some sequences, and Miaka's face became deformed. Overall, the artbooks of Fushigi Yuugi are very beautiful and detailed, but the anime itself doesn't seem to be best of quality.

Voice acting, music (6/10)

Some may argue that they liked the music in this~ I for one loved the end theme, but many of the other songs [done by the seiyuu], aren't very good. It really is just a matter of opinion, but the opening theme to me is a bit jerky in terms of composition, and the tune does sound very, very freaky. I won't go in too much depth about the music, but some songs don't have "the flow". Haha- moving away from the music, the voice acting is generally done well, but there were some parts with sound and nobody was talking and there were just strange noises in the background. I must also mention that I really found some voices annoying~ the cuteness was pushed too much to the point it wasn't really cute.

[b][u]Overall (6.5/10)

I know for a fact that many people love the series for the diverse characters and storyline [which I admit are very well done]. But for Watase's first [or at least the first that I know of], the series was done a bit too amateur-ish.
Looking at the length of the series, too, 52 episodes would be fine if it was an anime like Weiss Kreuz or Rurouni Kenshin- animes that spent the first 10-20 episodes, each episode featuring a different story or message. But Fushigi Yuugi is a linear story, which is why 52 episodes gets a bit too melodramatic and long winded.
During the middle of the anime, the end song actually is playing when Suzaku finds the scroll to summon their God- but then the music is abruptly cut off when they mention continuing their journey elsewhere to find the other half of what they need to summon the God. By this stage I was already thinking about banging my head against the screen because I really wanted it over and done with. It did get a bit tedious watching (1) Miaka smooch with Tamahome (2) Miaka smooch with someone else (3) Other people smooching (4) Suzaku vs Seiryuu (5) Journeying.
Overall I really did wish that it was more succint and to the point- but as I acknowledge, many many people love this anime, and there's nothing wrong with that ^_^ I decided to write this section from another point of view, because I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as I did compared to others :P

The art of Fushigi Yuugi

Click HERE FOR THE ANIMEGALLERIES.NET CATEGORY FOR F.Y (http://www.animegalleries.net/category/77)

╬Karami Mew~Meow
06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I love Fushigi Yugi

Story (9/10)
The story is very good. The story of a girl that got sucked into a chinese book. And the people protecting her. Just FANTASTIC!

Characters (9/10)
The characters are so handsom, and cute. There personalities are great. They are sometimes so funny.

Art/animation (10/10)
. The art and animation, is so realistic. It's like you could feel their emotions. It makes you sad, happy, and angry. Makes you feel what their feeling.

Voice (10/10)
I really love the music. I forgot their voices, but I sure it's great.

Over all: 9/10
Fushigi Yugi, is a very fantastic show.

r_a_i_n_e
07-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Story: 8/10
The story is pretty much original and the legend is intact. It plays well with facts and historical allusions. For its genre, it's good.

Characters: 8/10
The characters were beautifully drawn. I have to admit that FY boys were really hot but I think character development and distinction is a little lacking.

Animation: 8/10
Generally, pretty but a bit inconsistent. Sometimes they seem distorted or simplified.

Music: 9/10
The themes were catchy. The background music blends well and sets the mood. The Japanese voice acting was excellent.

Overall: 8.25/10
If you're a fan of the genre, you'll like this anime. If not, you'll think its too soap opera-ish.

BuLmA
08-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Story: 9.99/10 I have cried in that movie...I love it!! the story is great...about the two lovers that had fight for thier love. Its so touching.

Characters: 8/10 They are handsome & pretty especially Noriku.Oh... all of them I think but Noriku is the cutiest.:)

Animation: 8/10 i like the drawings very creative including the eyes.

Music: 8/10 I love the opening song.I have memories it, love it!.

Overall: 9/10 Better watch it too guys...Fushigi Yuugi is one of my list of my favorite anime.

VraieEsprit
08-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Ah...Fushigi Yuugi...one of my two top animes, ever. Where to begin:

Storyline:
It's set in Ancient China, in a book. What more do you need? My sister loves joking about the world in a book in a world in a book...but it's not so complicated as it sounds. The idea of Miaka undergoing some kind of moral "test" by being drawn into the Shijin-Tenchishou is pretty strong to begin with, but the involvement of the actual factual stuff and the history and the constellations makes it even more cohesive. I like the way Watase-sensei constructed the world of the Four Gods - you get the impression she really stopped and worked it all out rather than just threw it together randomly.

There are some moments which are overly soap-ish, I suppose. There is too much emphasis in the later half of the series on Tamahome and Miaka but in fairness they *are* the principle characters. I've a slight bugbear with the TV show changing Miaka's wishes about, but that's minor.

I will say at times there is too much death. Or at least, a couple of the deaths seem a little odd...Hotohori's in particular seems to be random and not really necessary to the plot. (We won't even begin on episode 33).

Overall, though, it's first class.

9/10.

The Characters:
Well. What I love best about Yuugi is the fact all the characters have weaknesses and strengths. There's a quirkiness about many of them, too. Nuriko is the example I'll use because he's my favourite - he's the physically strongest of them all, and that is a very masculine kind of power. But Nuriko lives his life so convincingly as a woman a lot of people are fooled by him (including Miaka).

Many of the characters can be both comedic and tragic depending on the circumstances. Several have pasts they're trying to move away from - Chichiri is probably the key example here, with the loss of his family, friend and fiancee in the Shouryuu flood. Even Miaka and Tamahome, the heroine and the hero have their limitations - Miaka is too trusting, has a weakness for good food, and occasionally does the most stupid things imaginable. And Tamahome...is rather dense where women are concerned.

All the characters come from different walks of life, too, and each of them have distinct traits that are clearly recogniseable as the series progresses. The purpose and drive of each character becomes clear as time goes on. Even with the enemy characters, I don't believe there is really an evil character among them. They each have their own reasons and hangups too for doing the things they do - even Nakago.

A weakness in the TV series is the fact Chiriko's character is rather badly portrayed at times. Some of his manga characteristics have been omitted, making him seem surplus in the show sometimes. (I thought that was a bit of a shame).

::It should perhaps be noted that although there are 28 constellations, not all of them appear in the Fushigi Yuugi anime arc. The seven belonging to Seiryuu and Suzaku respectively, plus two from Genbu and three from Byakko are included, but the other five (six?!) from Genbu and four from Byakko are not mentioned at all. The Genbu ones do appear in the Genbu Kaiden manga but that is an entirely different thing and not to be confused with the arc upon which the anime is based::

Characters 9.5/10

Animation/Seiyuu/Voice Artists:
I like the animation generally and how it tallies to the manga although I wish Miaka's hair had been black like it generally is on the manga covers. It just makes more sense to me that way. The animation is occasionally weak in certain episodes too, like the Star Festival episode, and it's not as good quality as the second OVA's animation is, for example. But it's not shoddy.

Animation: 7/10

The Seiyuu for the Japanese cast are without exception brilliant. Each of them does a really good job of defining and creating their character through their portrayal. Special mention to Seki Tomokazu for his flexibility as Chichiri and Hayashi (Canna) Nobutoshi for Tasuki's wonderful mountain bandit "kansai-ben".

Seiyuu: 9.5/10

The English Voice Artists are not so good. Miaka and Hotohori in particular are weak. I would not recommend watching this series in English if you have not first seen it in Japanese.

V/A: 4/10

Music accompanying the series:
I actually prefer many of the character songs over most of Satou Akemi's contributions, although I love the opening theme. Nuriko, Tasuki, Chichiri in particular have some very strong songs...and everyone (I mean everyone) who watches this show should hear Meccha Hajikete Gattsu Tobashite at least once...

Music 8/10

Overall:9/10
Don't be put off by the fact it's Shoujo. I would recommend Yuugi to anyone (and I know both guys and girls who really love it.) If you're a fan of character interaction, integration and development coupled with adventure and humour, Fushigi Yuugi is definitely worth a watch :D

Vraie

Animator_Chie
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I love Fushigi Yugi

Story (9/10)
The story of this anime is very good. I love the scene when Miaka became the Priestess of Suzaku and when she and Tamahome fall in love with each other.

Characters (9/10)
The coloring of the body of the characters is wonderful. I love the animation and their personalities.

Art/animation (10/10)
. It's great. The viewers can even feel the emotions of the characters and also sometimes it makes the viewers laugh!!

Voice (10/10)
The voices is cute!^_^ I hope I also have those voice.

Over all: 9/10
It is very wonderful!!!!!!

Peppermint Hearts
01-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Not really one of my favorite anime series but I did like the ending of the series though. The characters were very interesting, and Miaki and her friend were, well, ver sexy! Overall, I rate it a 9 because of the quality of the series, not so much that I liked it so much, but it is a good series to watch anyway.
Characters are very good, about a 9. The Artwork was just OK, maybe a 7 or so. The stories were very good, about a 10 though.