PDA

View Full Version : DotA Discussion Thread

Fortunato
12-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Alright, since there's no DotA Thread yet, I decided to make one. I was hoping some other WarCraft III would enjoy exchanging DotA strategies. If anyone who plays Wc3: Frozen Throne online, they should know about DotA, the game pretty much "sweeping" our Wc3 community. It's not exactly new, but they update it every so often, to keep it interesting. If anyone else plays, post on here, and let me at least know you're out there. x_X; Another thing: If you have never played DotA before, don't reply to this. I want to keep it spam-free, if possible. Also, don't think me weird for the things I talk about. It's really quite fun when you get into it.

Okay, here we go:
Lately, I've been using Lion, the Witch... Guy. O_o; I found his Finger of Death special really very good. Of course, it lacks range, but more than makes up for damage. At Level 3, 800 damage(!). I recently compared it with the Dwarven Sniper's special, level three, and found it to be slightly better. Thought the Dwarf can fire his shot from a range, and without being seen, Lion's special is exceptional in ganks and the like.

Another hero that has my attention is the Crystal Maiden. I found her skills very useful in that you can stop their movement, then Nova them, to slow, then cast her special, a pretty much unstoppable combination. The only thing she really lacks, though, is health, which can be a major issue. I usually get a few Point Boosters to increase both her mana and health, for a bargain. Of course, she also needs a Void Stone ( I use 2 >_>; ).

On the hero popularity subject, I found Luna Moonfang, the Moon Priestess, being used a lot more. I have never personally used her, but I've seen her in action before. He special is a force to be reckoned with, to say the least. She can deal damage to units in a group for humongous damage. Gets me every time. x_X;

My latest combination attackers would have to be Sven and Crixalis. Sven stuns for a few seconds, both attack, Crixalis Burrow Strikes, stuns for a few seconds, Sven attacks more, Crixalis uses Epicenter. Totally awesome combo when seen. x_X; There is, like, no escape.

GFx
12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Hahaha you actually made a thread about this. XD

Lion's Ultimate is actually weaker than Lina's Laguna thingy. Though overall Lion > Lina.

For Maiden... I find her pretty weak. She is way weaker than in the days of the 5. reign. I remember people brying about CM being so Imba. Now people just are getting better and know what to do against her. Stun, BKB, Basher, MKB, You name it.

Well I for one use Sandking a lot. I played a game once and I got four kills with Epicenter... It went like "Triple kill" , "Triple kill" TT_TT There's no quadriple kill.
Anyways any stunner with SK is a good combo.

And Luna... She's very strong... Bounce and her ulti make her a good farmer and hero killer.

Fortunato
12-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey, I figured it was a good topic. Apparently not so hot right now, though.

Anyways, I've been trying to look for the best combination of heroes in the game. Lately, I've been playing some 2v2 with my other friend, and we are experimenting with good hero combos. We tried Pudge and Sniper, but that apparently didn't work out. Too much individual work, especially with Sniper. Though, we thought it would be good at first, since Pudge could Meat Hook, Ulti, then, if still alive, "Pow!" with the Sniper. Didn't work out, as I said.

As for the CM, you're totally right. Though, if you know how to use her right, you can really avoid her dying on you the instant she gets ganked. Incerase her health, adn especially armor, give her a cyclone staff, and she's ready to go. Not the least expensive thing, but it works. I remember at one point in the game, my CM had more life then Pudge and Tiny. It was awesome, but she was still squishy.

Right now, though, I'm in a quarrel. One of my friends says the SA is better than ... uh, his name is... Gondar? Anyways, they're similar in a bunch of ways, especially having a good attack, not so good health, but ww, and stuff like that. I can't decide which is better, myself. I figure Gondar. He's got Track and definately higher attack and health, but.. Rikimaru still has the stealth on him. Especially with smoke bomb. If placed right, that thing is a deathtrap. x_X;

I think I've said enough, now, c'mon, I need some other people to post here!

GFx
12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Hahaha we could just argue through MSN but let's do it here we might get some players out.

For the SA and Gondar thingy, Gondar as the upper hand.
If you get smoked move a bit, track and SA is dead. There's isnt much to it, Gondar has higher hp, dodge and crit, shuri. And SA has blink and backstab which is pretty much worthless if you aren't chasing. So 1 on 1 fight Gondar wins. This is only theoretical(sp?).

For combos. Try this. Vengeful and Tech... Plant mines and swap into the mines that's all.

Fortunato
12-27-2005, 04:26 PM
That's what I was hoping for, of course.

Again, theoretically, the Vengeful Spirit and Techie could works, but.. That would require Tehcie having mines in close range, and not moving. Also, it puts the Techie in danger, since usually the other player is near a tower of behind a group of pawns. I don't think it would work, because 1) Techie Mines aren't THAT powerful (Ulti is, though.), 2) It requires the Techie to set the mines close enough for the Vangeful to switch with. At that range, other players either scoot back or cast their Ultis and stuff, causing major damage. Comparing the trade-off, I'd say th opponent would have the advantage. Under the right circumstances, though, it could work.

I just though of another combo. Maybe CM and Tiny? I tried this once, I remember. Crystal Maiden freezes, giving Tiny time to toss him back, Crystal Maiden Novas, then Ultis, and if that's not enough, there's still Tiny's Avalanche. Of course, the kill would probably go to CM, but who knows?

I wanted to discuss the Lich with some people. I say he's really good. Almost similar to CM, even. More life, though. I find Chain Frost more effective then CM's Ulti. 280 damage at Level 1? And it can hit 3 times, under the right circumstances? Hey, that's cool with me. The one thing I don't like about him is his slowness, though. FAR too slow. =\ Other than that, probably his lack of good range.

Lately, I forgot to mention, Zeus has been a favorite for me. I like using casters that have a lot of attack spells, not like N'aix, with only upgrades and lifesteal. I prefer Zeus because he has Arc Lightning, The Single-Strike Lightning, and a bonus spells that shocks for a percentage of the opponent's life at random. If that's not enough, blast them with the Ulti from afar. However, I don't know if it would work, because I thought Zeus had to SEE the target to hit with his Ulti. Whatever. Only bad thing is his range. Almost melee, but still ranged. Greatful for that. Also, not hoping for it, but he SHOULD be nerfed quite a bit, including his spell costs. 85 mana for Arc Lightning at level 1? That's just UNFAIR.

GFx
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Lich? Best early game hero Ever!
For end game... hes a bit weak... not to say VERY. Though I did see some good end game Lich but most of the time he just dies a lot. I find CM better than Lich mainly because the mana sacrificing thingy becomes useless.

As for CM and Tiny combo... You could do that with any stunner.
But if you're good enough, you wouldn't need the help of a stunner.

I like Zeus as well, get Basillius Ring then spam Arc like a madman XD.

You're like Totally the opposite of my style of hero, which mostly revolve around STR heroes. Hum, I just felt like playing Axe right now for no reason. And Naix used to be like my favorite hero in the days of 5.50, HE WAS SOOOO VERYYY IMBA. 4 heroes that
got cried a lot on, CM, Naix, Clinkx, Drow.

Oh Yah! I wanted to mention troll, I know he's like one of the best heroes, But I've never really owned with him any tips?

Fortunato
12-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Been seeing Troll Warlord more often these days, as well. He's very good, especially at levelling. I don't really see how, though. Every time I have a TW on our team, he is at least 3 levels ahead of everyone else. Hyperstone + TW = GG, though. Never tried him out before. I think I'd want to, because it's not that I dislike strength heroes, but they're more the "get up close and personal" types. I like staying a fair distance away and playing like that quick escapes and such are what I like.

Another familiar hero to me is Magina, the Anti-Mage. Not really the best choice for an anti-mage, but definately a good hero. Early on the game, you get blink, it's domination. Very good hero, I think.

As for N'aix, I don't understand why he's so popular lately. I really don't like his style, because he has no good early game moves. Mostly upgrades and such. However, he has a good speed, I think 320 to begin, and end game 40% Lifesteal is awesome. I'm usually an early-game hitter, myself, but I can deal with the long ones, as well.

Anyways, another hero that comes to mind is Syllabear. Back in the 5 days, he was imba, but he seems to have lost his popularity somewhat. He's agood at farming, especially with his summon bear, and he has a lot of life, with attack. I don't see what's not to love about him. I guess it's easier to mm one hero rather than a hero and a bear, but it's like having two heroes at all times, with the bear. As long as you can keep the bear from dying, Syllabear owns. Especially at high levels. The upgrades he gives to his bear are really good, not to mention his own transformation, which allows him more power, but no ranged. He's a good all-around hero, mostly. Good through the beginning and eng game.