PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Contraversy

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 03:48 PM
has anybody heard about this? I think its a bunch of bs, but thats just me

if you havent, people are saying that it shouldnt be called a christmas tree, more or less it should be called a holiday tree

En Svensk Tiger
12-06-2005, 03:54 PM
They can call it "pointless tree we drag into our livingrooms and put crappy decorations on" for all that I care. Or holiday tree. Or Christmas tree. Which is what people have always called it. Hardly something to make a big deal about.

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
i know,

heres an idea: do a battle royal thing with all the peole who think it should be called different things....the last one standing's name for it is what well use

Tsuna Kadiri
12-06-2005, 04:10 PM
... A "Holiday Tree"? What's wrong with calling it a Christmas tree?

It's not as if it's against anyone's religion to say "Christmas Tree". It's not offensive or anything. I'd be amazed if someone thought a Christmas Tree was offensive.

It's like renaming a glass of water to "intelligently processed H2O container". It doesn't make any damn sense. ^^;

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:13 PM
people are saying "your not renameing a manora and candle stick holder, and you shouldnt rename a christmas tree"

dont know if spelt it right.....trying to avoid my own holiday issues:happy:

Wandering Samurai
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
I've heard of it and it's plan stupid. They should just leave it as is. they're trying to take christ out of christmas. It's so stupid, Jesus Christ is basically the reason why we have the holiday anyway

Eris
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Why not strip everything of their names, and then randomly assign new ones; then everyone would be satisfied.

ryoga-one
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
i dont think too much about it, thats when the whole "does god exist" thing comes in and i dont wanna get into that...

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Why not strip everything of their names, and then randomly assign new ones; then everyone would be satisfied.

nah, they'd still find some thing to ***** about

The Governator
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
well, if there gona change it then y not a crimbo tree or a x-mas tree, hey weres the "christ" in them names?

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
a crimbo tree

crimbo?

but the rest of you post makes sense

Eris
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
nah, they'd still find some thing to ***** about

Then we simply strip everything of their names, period - or; we ban language. That'd do it!

Washiko
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Let's see... there are two different sides of christmas. The religious one and the secular one.

Regarding christmas as a religious holiday: I don't know about you, but I have never heard of a specifically religious reason for a christmas tree. They seem to me to not be a religious symbol of Christmas... that would be more the star that supposedly lead the wisemen to Jesus.

Regarding Christmas as a secular holiday: I know of a few people that are not christians, but still celebrate christmas. And, of course, few of the christians are going to avoid the secularization of Christmas entirely. Even in Japan, Christmas is a holiday, although it is not universal and is more of a romantic holiday than a significant one. What ties it all together is the Christmas tree... which, strangely enough, is tied with the festival of Christmas, not any of the other religious festivals we may talk about during this season.

So, therefore, it is a CHRISTMAS tree... and just because the name means "the day christ was born" (pretty much), we shouldn't mistake the christmas tree for a religious symbol. It's associated with a day many non-Christians at least part way observe.

Oh... and those of us without religions... especially in the US... tend to celebrate christmas in a secular way.

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Let's see... there are two different sides of christmas. The religious one and the secular one.

Regarding christmas as a religious holiday: I don't know about you, but I have never heard of a specifically religious reason for a christmas tree. They seem to me to not be a religious symbol of Christmas... that would be more the star that supposedly lead the wisemen to Jesus.

Regarding Christmas as a secular holiday: I know of a few people that are not christians, but still celebrate christmas. And, of course, few of the christians are going to avoid the secularization of Christmas entirely. Even in Japan, Christmas is a holiday, although it is not universal and is more of a romantic holiday than a significant one. What ties it all together is the Christmas tree... which, strangely enough, is tied with the festival of Christmas, not any of the other religious festivals we may talk about during this season.

So, therefore, it is a CHRISTMAS tree... and just because the name means "the day christ was born" (pretty much), we shouldn't mistake the christmas tree for a religious symbol. It's associated with a day many non-Christians at least part way observe.

Oh... and those of us without religions... especially in the US... tend to celebrate christmas in a secular way.

you could probly convince a few people to change their minds with this

Masali
12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
People just like to have something to complain about and I just ignore it. If people want to call it a holiday tree and destroy centuries of timeless traditions then they can call the damn tree a holiday tree, In my house however it will remain christmas tree.

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Then we simply strip everything of their names, period - or; we ban language. That'd do it!

freaking genius!

Marie2007
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I know why should we care if it is called a Christmas tree or holiday tree. Christmas isn't based around weather we call it a Christmas tree or holiday tree it is completely based on some thing other then what to call a plant, tree whatever.

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
yes, but there will always be morons who will bring up stuff like this.

ALWAYS

Wandering Samurai
12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
yes he's right. for instance in england christitanity is almost comletly erased from there modern culture, and we're next. First it's a christmas tree the the ten commandments and before we know it we will be saying christ who?

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 04:55 PM
and before we know it we will be saying christ who?

i'm already there, accually i'v always said that

Washiko
12-06-2005, 04:55 PM
yes he's right. for instance in england christitanity is almost comletly erased from there modern culture, and we're next. First it's a christmas tree the the ten commandments and before we know it we will be saying christ who?
Unfortunately, religion tends to have a tenacity far beyond this. And besides, there will always be history books. The Bible is the most printed book in existance... pretty hard to erase all knowledge and indication that Christianity every exists.

And Jesus will live on in the exclamation "Geez!" Even if we don't always realize it...

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
The Bible is the most printed book in existance

accually in 1865 "uncle tom's cabin" out sold it

thats the only time i can recall

Eris
12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Another thing about christianity I just don't get. If you want everyone to be in your religion, why do you charge them money for your scriptures?

Wandering Samurai
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Another thing about christianity I just don't get. If you want everyone to be in your religion, why do you charge them money for your scriptures?well the sad thing is that most people will act like christans but they're only in it for the money.

Eris
12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
well the sad thing is that most people will act like christans but they're only in it for the money.

Okay... so who'se paying them money for acting christian?

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Okay... so who'se paying them money for acting christian?

the people who buy the bibles

souless cowboy
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
... A "Holiday Tree"? What's wrong with calling it a Christmas tree?

It's not as if it's against anyone's religion to say "Christmas Tree". It's not offensive or anything. I'd be amazed if someone thought a Christmas Tree was offensive.

It's like renaming a glass of water to "intelligently processed H2O container". It doesn't make any damn sense. ^^;
Well I guess you could see it as this.... "Christ" mas Tree. Christ, JESUS CHRIST! No way... <.<;; Its a religion thing. o.o;; I could kind of care less though. I usually just let my family and friends do what they want. Though if you're offended by a "Christ"mas tree, then you need to find somthing to do with your time. <.<;;; "YOUR TREE OFFENDS ME! YOU SHALL NOW CALL IT A HOLIDAY TREE!!!!" `djflkasjfkla;`

--souless

The Wing Man
12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I have always just called it a christmas tree, and i have never heard anyone call it a holiday tree and if they did.Why would i care?

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
like i said before, retards

-Batman-
12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Another thing about christianity I just don't get. If you want everyone to be in your religion, why do you charge them money for your scriptures?
It depends. There's many diffrent forms christianity. And not everyone will charge for a bible. Saint Peters Church down by me gives them our for free. For the places that do charge, the money go's to support the church...well, it's supposed too.
But this topic is about Christmas tree's, not the cost of a Bible.

On the tree topic. I think it's rather pointless, all it is,is a word. Get over it.

Washiko
12-06-2005, 05:35 PM
My roommate just informed me that partially it's because public schools aren't supposed to use the word "Christmas."

We did a unit on holidays around the world when I was in first grade, because that was part of the curriculum. We were told off for having a christmas tree... but not for talking about Kwanza and Hanukka. This, I think, is total stupidity. Holiday traditions should be presented as a whole or not at all.

MistressPookyChan
I was raised Christian, but now I just don't see Christmas as very religious anymore. I won't be going to church this year. If I was back in the US, then I would. Instead, I think of it as a time to be with family; almost like Thanksgiving in a way, where you remember the good things that happened this year and give your appreciation to those who helped you throughout the year.

I suppose that Japan changed my perception of Christmas, for good or for worse.

samuriagent
I think it's rather pointless, all it is,is a word. Get over it.

thats true, its all retarded

Washiko
12-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I was raised Christian, but now I just don't see Christmas as very religious anymore. I won't be going to church this year. If I was back in the US, then I would. Instead, I think of it as a time to be with family; almost like Thanksgiving in a way, where you remember the good things that happened this year and give your appreciation to those who helped you throughout the year.

I suppose that Japan changed my perception of Christmas, for good or for worse.
I'm very curious about Christmas in Japan... I know a bit about it, but if you'd like to pass on any recollections or thoughts to us that would be wicked cool!

What has always shocked me about Christmas is that if Easter is the biggest Christian Celebration in the year and if Pentecost has a similar importance to the other two, then why is Christmas the most intricate celebration? Easter is pretty small for a celebration compared to Christmas, and Pentecost has almost no traditions outside of mass...

It just doesn't make sense....

samuriagent
12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
would you mind dumbing it down for those of us who want to stay in the converstaiton but have no idea what your talking about?

Washiko
12-06-2005, 06:11 PM
... um... sorry...

I just mean that there are a few christian celebrations that are supposedly just as important if not more important than Christmas, but seem to get the short end of the stick. Easter, we have the easter bunny... but there isn't the same kind of excitement...

And pentecost (when the holy ghost is given to the apostles) doesn't have much of a ceremony at all

I hope that makes sense... I know I'm going a bit more off topic

Then again, neither of those are that secular... Easter moreso, but it is not as universal as christmas.

SGI
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Man, I am so sick of these politically correct terms so as not to offend anybody. Calling a Christmas Tree a holiday, a Manhole a "person hole", a midget as vertically challenged.

I tell you what, it makes me want to have an involuntary stomach expulsion....

gothic_neko_youkai
12-06-2005, 07:50 PM
LMAO!!!!

Shes right though....people are finding more and more ways to ruin things for people these days its not even funny. Its just like they have stopped giving Snowmen Tobacco pipes because "It promotes smoking" ....-sniffs the air- Do you people smell that......ITS A STEAMING PILE OF BS!!!!....:banghead: Gawd...quit destroying things already...anyway...

Have any of you seen those Upside down Christmas trees, what do you think of those? >_> I think they are incredibly dumb but thats just me...

zodiak
12-06-2005, 08:50 PM
okay, i don't see the big deal and it makes me sick. Us christians have our religion. We have our holdiay. We have our tree and we call it the christmas tree to celebrate the birth of our lord and savior. What we don't go around to the jews and say we have to call your manorah the holiday manorah.It's all of these activist religion saying all religion has to be equal, and you can't say that because it may be offensive. leave everybodies faith alone.

~Troublesome Woman~
12-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Man, I am so sick of these politically correct terms so as not to offend anybody. Calling a Christmas Tree a holiday, a Manhole a "person hole", a midget as vertically challenged.

I tell you what, it makes me want to have an involuntary stomach expulsion....

Ha ha, I know what you mean.

I think that the whole thing is totally ridiculous. I mean, who cares what people call the damn xmas tree? It's not important. That's like saying we should rename the easter bunny to the holiday rabbit. It's that stupid.
For one, the xmas tree is only used at xmas, not at all holidays. Therefore, calling it a holiday tree is innapropitate.
I'm not christian, and I don't believe that Jesus was born on christmas day. But I have always called it a xmas tree and I always will - who really cares? It's a tree that you put up to decorate - not some huge symbol of faith.

Mira Kaiba
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, no kidding. People are always trying to change the names of things so that they will be "politically correct" whatever that means. Personally, I think that these people should just be grateful that we still have these holidays, especially with all that seperation of church and state crap going on. Why cant people just be happy with what's already there? I mean, the people who aren't Catholic say happy holidays. The people that are Jewish say happy Hanakuah. Just say whatever u feel is correct and leave it alone for everyone else. Don't make a civil case about it.

akiko_kalla
12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Christmas Tree is to Holiday Tree as Menorah is to Holiday Candle Holder. Call a duck a duck, not an aquatically adaptable fowl. Some people say creek and some say crick, does it change the meaning for the speaker or listeners? I don't understand this issue, call it whatever you want; it's still a decorated evergreen. And not every tradition continues to be religious, even if that is how it originally started. My opinion, if you don't like the sign that says Christmas Trees, don't buy one from that lot.

We spend so much time trying to not to step on someone else's toes that we can't even express our own traditions. If the tree holds religious values to you, great. If it doesn't, great. Call it whatever your tradition is, share those traditions with others who are curious and respect each other's beliefs/traditions. There are more important things to be worried about in this country than what we call the decorated evergreen trees in winter. Besides, if you respect others' traditions and beliefs, this isn't even an issue. It's only when you do NOT respect others that you need to make this distinction--again we're addressing the symptom not the cause, but I digress.

I'm more concerned about my students saying Moe-sart instead of Mozart than I am what they may or may not call a tree they may or may not have as part of their family traditions. If the world was all literate, fed, and peaceful, then I might see cause for a comment on such a thing, but until my students can refrain from fighting each other, not have worry about when their next meal is going to be, and not have to worry about where they're spending whatever holiday they celebrate, I believe they have more important things to learn from society. And likewise, society has more important things to teach them.

The Governator
12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
crimbo?

but the rest of you post makes sense
crimbo is the british slang for christmas

samuriagent
12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
And pentecost (when the holy ghost is given to the apostles) doesn't have much of a ceremony at all

theres a ghost! thats freaking awsome!

Darth Tyranus
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Holiday tree? Isn't the tree used in the christian pracitce of christmas? Making it indeed a christmas tree.

samuriagent
12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Have any of you seen those Upside down Christmas trees, what do you think of those? >_> I think they are incredibly dumb but thats just me...

hey, there really cool......alright i admit it, my family is hick enough to buy that kind of stupid useless stuff, but it does make me feel sick, i must admit

gothic_neko_youkai
12-07-2005, 12:51 PM
LOL
I'm surprised someone actually responded to me...

I guess I am just old fashioned and would rather stick to the basics

akiko_kalla
12-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Holiday tree? Isn't the tree used in the christian pracitce of christmas? Making it indeed a christmas tree.
It is often today yes, however I have seen many homes who are not Christian have christmas trees because they look nice and have been a tradition. The funny thing about this is, that tree didn't start out as a Christian thing at all...it evolved into that from Pagan traditions. Of course that doesn't suit those making a fuss over nothing so they just continue to see who can yell the loudest. ^_~ Besides, if they really believed in this, they would simply start new traditions in their own homes and maybe start a community for such beliefs and save their breath to speak out about more important issues such as helping those who have been abused, thrown on the street or worse during these winter months. In my opinion, they are yelling because they love the sound of their own voice, not because they really want change. You don't change something like this by protests, you change it by speaking on the root of the issue and changing that mindset one life at a time.

PigFarts
12-07-2005, 02:40 PM
a holiday tree? who the hell cares! just like everyone else said in this forum, a christmas tree is a tradition and shouldn't be offensive to anyone! it's like that debate a couple years ago when they were going to change french fries and french toast to "freedom" fries and "freedom" toast, just because america and france were having problems with each other!

another thing about cencoring the word "christmas..." the oh so infamous television series, invader zim, the last episode was the series's christmas special. it's original title was "the most horrible CHRISTMAS ever," however, for some stupid reason, nickalodean (or however you spell it...stupid channel) changed the title of the episode to "the most horrible X-MAS ever." that was probably the exclude "christ" or any other religious aspect from the episode. but really...was it that necessary?

Washiko
12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
If you want to be shocked, look up the Christmas tree on Wikipedia. I won't repeat some of the things involved with the pagan rituals, just that they were quite violent.

Christianity has been known to adapt pagan practices to pull more ethnic groups under their blanket. If people don't have to change their traditions to join a religion, they don't mind joining so much. This is why they have Halloween and even why Christmas is in the winter instead of spring or summer as it should be according to the Bible. It replaced the Winter Solstice used in Pagan rituals.

samuriagent
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
now its a violence tree? this is starting to get really confusing

akiko_kalla
12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
now its a violence tree? this is starting to get really confusing
It's only confusing because the people who are making an issue out of this don't really know what they're talking about. If they had a clue or truly cared about the state of humanity, they wouldn't be wasting their time arguing over what should modify the word tree. :p

samuriagent
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
stupid adjectives! ruining our holidays:mad: