PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks FF is the most overrated franchise...ever.

Masali
11-23-2005, 04:59 PM
I can't stand the series. my reasoning? well...the it's repetitive. every FF has the same theme and plot just with different characters. it's not challenging...at all. you'd have to be a retarded monkey not to be able to complete it. the battle system is flawed and never changes, and if it does, the changes are so subtle you would never even notice. it's like shooting someone with a pistol 11 times, but then on the 12th shot, the bullet is green. if you're like me...you won't care what color the bullet is after you've been shot 11 times.

now, onto the repetitive plot. the 3 I hate are...7, 8, and 10. the only redeeming quality 7 has is sephiroth, and thats a stretch. 10 is really just...dumb. "rawr, I am your dad! but guess what! Im really a big laser firing piece of snot!"

7: "RAWR! the electric company is sucking crap out of da earth! now lets get together a rag tag bunch of underdogs that will come out ontop in the end, SO ORIGINAL LOLOLOL!"

8: "I R too stoopid to learn how to fight myself so I need an academy to teach me." and from then on I kept playing but didn't pay much attention. but the last thing I remember was waking up in my bathtub with a copy of FF8 shoved in my mouth.

FF has GOT to be the most overrated franchise I have EVER seen in my LIFE. if they make anymore after 12...Im gonna kill someone.

-Batman-
11-23-2005, 05:07 PM
shall i prepare you a lightsabre?

Anyway.

Final Fantasy is crap, the only good one was 3 back on the SNES. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. And seven was interesting up untill sephiroth came about. Than the hole story went to hell from there.

gothic_neko_youkai
11-23-2005, 05:55 PM
shall i prepare you a lightsabre?

Anyway.

Final Fantasy is crap, the only good one was 3 back on the SNES. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. And seven was interesting up untill sephiroth came about. Than the hole story went to hell from there.
wait....so you're saying that FF7 was bad?

-Batman-
11-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Thats about the size of it.

evuljenius
11-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Thank you! Someone who sees through the lies of Square to the truth that FF is a peice of crap. Anyone know why the series is called Final Fanatsy? 'Cuz it was gonna be Square's last game, but no they had to make a crappy franchise out of it. Unfortuatley, they will probably make more after FFXII because they can.

-Batman-
11-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Do you know WHY it was going to be there last game? Enix kicked squares *** with Dragon Quest (which is still better than FF)

Frequency
11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Yes I think so,Because every ff game has so much dramatics that it is pointless seeing the cut-scenes.The fighting really sucks because there is no freedom to fight,You have wait until its your turn,**** IT annoys me so.

Masali
11-23-2005, 08:28 PM
OMFG! SMART PEOPLE!? ON ANIMEGALLERIES!? who'd have thought.

-Batman-
11-23-2005, 08:32 PM
OMFG! SMART PEOPLE!? ON ANIMEGALLERIES!? who'd have thought. now now...not everyone on anime galleries are stupid. i can point out at least 10 that are aren't.

Masali
11-23-2005, 08:39 PM
this is true.

Darth Tyranus
11-23-2005, 09:44 PM
the only redeeming quality 7 has is sephiroth
He's a strike against the game in my book two in fact.

It's funny you should mention the battle system, it has been totally revamped for 12 and by revamped I mean they just raped kotor and stole it's battle system. Just another reason to hate final fantasy. Though i hear the old ones 3-4 are pretty good I might pick them up since they are coming to a hand held near me. But over all the franchise is so overrated they might as well just re name it grand theft auto since THAT is the most overrated game ever. And GTA three plays like a boot, it did when it came out and it does now.

Regex
11-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Ah, it's always fun to hate on things because they become popular. I know it, I do the same thing from time to time, just to have fun.

Overrated, yes. Most overrated? No. Let's look at Halo. Halo itself managed to top all of Final Fantasy in unearned hype. It was a mediocre game, with the nice twist of being able to play with 16 players. Yet it became the XBox's number two selling point.

I will agree, Final Fantasy has gone downhill immensely. Final Fantasy VI was the best of all of them, for so many reasons. But look what happened after. Final Fantasy VII came out for the PSX, and suddenly a very different audience discovered it. It was still a pretty good game, but they were playing with new technology that they weren't quite ready for. They got the technical aspects down for Final Fantasy VIII, but they lost the most important thing: A real story. From FF8 on, it became all about emo kids who don't want to get better. You got Squall, the epitome of it all. Probably the WORST main character ever created for a game that tries to be centered on story. Final Fantasy IX was better, but the characters still annoyed the piss out of me at times.

Now, to put to rest the implications created by the statement that Final Fantasy "was gonna be Square's last game."
Final Fantasy was indeed inspired by Enix's Dragon Quest. Hironobi Sakaguchi named his project "Final Fantasy" because he himself was planning to retire when he completed his big game. Square was on the verge of bankruptcy at this time, because their games had been for the Famicom Disk System, which ended up flopping. So Sakaguchi's last project was also to be Square's final game as well. Due to the overwhelming success of Final Fantasy, Square continued it, creating new worlds and characters with each installment. Quite a brilliant idea, if you ask me. No ties to the previous games to hold you back? The sky is the limit. Sakaguchi directed the games up to Final Fantasy V, where he then passed the games on to his successors.
This worked very well for quite some time. But, like all good things, eventually it gets old. There's only so long you can drag out any TV series before it gets repetitive and boring. The decline with the Final Fantasy series started with Final Fantasy VII, which unfortunately was when the majority of the American interest came in.

So while I will agree that Final Fantasy is overrated, the problem mostly lies in that most of the general American audience didn't get as much exposure to the series until it was too late.

Mahou_Senshi_Mariko
11-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Actually, it is. That's what most people talk about these days. My favorite series and only favorite of the FF series was FF IV. I actually agree about how the stories are repeative. Square Enix is still good with Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest.

AyoInuYo
11-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Final Fantasy is awsome

Masali
11-24-2005, 08:48 AM
^ that contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation whatsoever.

But as for halo being overrated...well...yeah, it is. the thing is, because it's overrated doesn't mean it's not fun. I've had a blast with halo, hours of pwning my friends and being pwned by them. is it the best? certainly not. the thing of final fantasy is the audience it appealed to, when FF7 came out it was the ballad of all emo gamers, only to be topped by Kingdom Hearts (don't get me started on how bad THAT game was).
now if you're like me in anyway, shape, or form, then you can't stand when emo people go on and on and on and ON about dumb stuff. They try to relate their lives to FF so they feel they belong somewhere and there's something grand in store for them. and then when they realise they're never going to achieve this greatness they will fall into a state of depression. I've whatched it happen.
FF IS DESTROYING LIVES!!1 ZOMG!

Darth Tyranus
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Let's look at Halo. Halo itself managed to top all of Final Fantasy in unearned hype. It was a mediocre game, with the nice twist of being able to play with 16 players. Yet it became the XBox's number two selling point.
i don't know about that, for the most part I would say halo gets what it should, the games are fun and easy to pick up. Not something all fps are, and even better is the fact that the story is engrossing and you want to see what happends. While it does next to nothing new it does everything old right. I feel the same way about jak and daxter you know before they raped the franchise by just shamelessly ripping off GTA and rachet and clank. It did very little new but it perfected what naughty dog started with crash bandicoot.

Regex
11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
i don't know about that, for the most part I would say halo gets what it should, the games are fun and easy to pick up. Not something all fps are, and even better is the fact that the story is engrossing and you want to see what happends. While it does next to nothing new it does everything old right.Not even Halo can top what Goldeneye did for FPS's. In many ways, Goldeneye was actually a better game. Sure, realistically, you can only carry one weapon at a time, and reloading takes forever. But we play games because reality isn't enough fun for us. Incidentally, Perfect Dark improved on Goldeneye, but it was too late, and the 64 was already becoming obsolete.

But as for halo being overrated...well...yeah, it is. the thing is, because it's overrated doesn't mean it's not fun. I've had a blast with halo, hours of pwning my friends and being pwned by them.This is the point I'd like everyone to get out of this all. While I never agree with saying things like "Final Fantasy is the best game EVAR ALWAYS FOREVER!!!!!1111" this does not change how much fun I had going through the stories when it was in its prime. People enjoy their Halo, and I enjoy my RPG's. Would I buy a PSX, just for Final Fantasy VII? No. Would I buy a PS2, just for Final Fantasy X? No way. Would I buy an XBox just for Halo? Never. There are people who did all three of these. At least the PSX and PS2 have other games worth playing.

Ultimately, there are always going to be people who take one thing to the absolute extreme. Some people have their series of games, and others have their anti-emo sentiments. Neither one is showing much character. But you're not going to stop any of them. You can't force your opinion on someone.. Just let the Final Fantasy craze die out the way the Dreamcast craze did. Gracefully, and quietly. And on its own.

Darth Tyranus
11-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Not even Halo can top what Goldeneye did for FPS's. In many ways, Goldeneye was actually a better game. Sure, realistically, you can only carry one weapon at a time, and reloading takes forever. But we play games because reality isn't enough fun for us. Incidentally, Perfect Dark improved on Goldeneye, but it was too late, and the 64 was already becoming obsolete.

How is that in any way shape or form related to what I said? No one said anything about goldeneye so why bring it up?

Just let the Final Fantasy craze die out the way the Dreamcast craze did. Gracefully, and quietly. And on its own.
What dreamcast craze? The system was never as popular as it should have been, let alone enough so to have it's own craze. And the final fantasy craze has been going for 16 years, meaning much like star wars and star trek it will never die out.

This is the point I'd like everyone to get out of this all. While I never agree with saying things like "Final Fantasy is the best game EVAR ALWAYS FOREVER!!!!!1111" this does not change how much fun I had going through the stories when it was in its prime. People enjoy their Halo, and I enjoy my RPG's. Would I buy a PSX, just for Final Fantasy VII? No. Would I buy a PS2, just for Final Fantasy X? No way. Would I buy an XBox just for Halo? Never. There are people who did all three of these. At least the PSX and PS2 have other games worth playing.

You seem to have missed the point, it isn't that the games are awful or aren't somehwat fun they are just over rated hence the name of this thread.

Regex
11-24-2005, 12:04 PM
How is that in any way shape or form related to what I said? No one said anything about goldeneye so why bring it up?I brought up Goldeneye as comparison for Halo to put the hype into perspective. It was related, get over yourself.

What dreamcast craze? The system was never as popular as it should have been, let alone enough so to have it's own craze. And the final fantasy craze has been going for 16 years, meaning much like star wars and star trek it will never die out.The Dreamcast was too little, too late. The system was awful in comparison to the systems that came out at the same time. It beat the N64, and the PSX, but the PS2 was everything that the Dreamcast tried to be. But despite the terrible controllers, the tiny game library, and gimped hardware, there still was a ridiculous following for it. If you missed it, that's unfortunate, because it makes it harder to illustrate my point.

You seem to have missed the point, it isn't that the games are awful or aren't somehwat fun they are just over rated hence the name of this thread.You missed the point of that whole paragraph. I was talking about my own thoughts on people who take an opinion to the extreme, not about how people were wrong for not sharing my opinion on this series. Discussing in further detail why I agree with the sentiment of the series being overrated. Don't try to create an argument where there is none.

red storm
11-24-2005, 12:05 PM
How is that in any way shape or form related to what I said? No one said anything about goldeneye so why bring it up? Simple, you claim that Halo did something for shooters that no other shooter did before, while Goldeneye did that many, many years before Halo.

What dreamcast craze? The system was never as popular as it should have been, let alone enough so to have it's own craze. And the final fantasy craze has been going for 16 years, meaning much like star wars and star trek it will never die out. Dreamcast craze came after the system was dead, if I recall.

You seem to have missed the point, it isn't that the games are awful or aren't somehwat fun they are just over rated hence the name of this thread. That message was aimed at this quote, reading it might help to uderstand it:

"But as for halo being overrated...well...yeah, it is. the thing is, because it's overrated doesn't mean it's not fun. I've had a blast with halo, hours of pwning my friends and being pwned by them."

Darth Tyranus
11-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Dreamcast craze came after the system was dead, if I recall.
That was the craze? Hadly comparible to how popular final fantasy has been, since what that "craze" lasted what a few months tops?

Simple, you claim that Halo did something for shooters that no other shooter did before, while Goldeneye did that many, many years before Halo
See the thing is I didn't say that, no one did. That's why I had no idea how goldeneye came up.

The Dreamcast was too little, too late. The system was awful in comparison to the systems that came out at the same time. It beat the N64, and the PSX, but the PS2 was everything that the Dreamcast tried to be. But despite the terrible controllers, the tiny game library, and gimped hardware, there still was a ridiculous following for it. If you missed it, that's unfortunate, because it makes it harder to illustrate my point.

I guess you could put in me in that ridiculous following because i enjoyed the system for many years after its death. You comments on the system are highly debatable as well but i wont bother getting in to that. I still wouldn't say that the flinting popularity of the cast is comparable to how consistently popular final fantasy has been.

I brought up Goldeneye as comparison for Halo to put the hype into perspective. It was related, get over yourself.

I don't see how the hype around goldeneye puts halos popularity into perspective. No one even said halo was a revolution in the fps genre pretty much everyone here said it was fun but not the greatest game ever. Anyone who says other wise is most likely to young to have played what came before it so of course they are going to say that.

You missed the point of that whole paragraph
My apologies, it would seem you were reponding to a post I missed.

Kurama_the_spirit_fox
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
final fantacy.... crap! the only good ones were FF7 and FFX2. its very overrated. i dont see how many people like it. honestly, to make it better it needs to make the automatic scenes shorter

PS. dont bad rep me for speaking my mind ok.

Sword
11-24-2005, 04:38 PM
You're only saying FF is overrated because you dont like it. FF7 IS the greatest game of all time and the stories are all quite complex in their own unique way (except 10). Jesus man, who cares about the battle system. It's only like 10% of the game! It's mainly built on exploration, lots of thing to do and most of all, the story. So stop complaining about it because the world loves it.

Masali
11-24-2005, 04:49 PM
If I wanted a game that focused on story, I would read a book. If you play a game for the story then you have some serious problems. I play games for fun. and I don't hate it because the whole world loves it, I hate it because it sucks. It's just not a fun game. it's boring and repetitive. and by thinking that any FF game's story is complex than I doubt you finished the 3rd grade. either that or you're just a brain dead fanboy. I venture to say that the latter of the 2 is the correct assumption.

-Batman-
11-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes Sword, because the world shares your opinion.

I freaking despise the series, and i used to love it a few years back. Seven was the first game i had for the PSX. i thopught it was the greatest game ever, but than i purchased a few new games and final fantasy became...nevermind.

Next i purchased Final Fantasy tactics.

Not bad at all i must say.

Next was final fantasy 8.Oh look ma! PRETTY GRAPHICS@@!!@@<LMNAOI!
They story sucked and the freaking love story between Squall and Rinoa was so forced it was sick.

9, i skiped that.

10 was the worst of all. It was all about the pretty graphics and presentation. As masali said "rawr, I am your dad! but guess what! Im really a big laser firing piece of snot!" woooww...

10 2...ohhh...ohhh i wasted 20 dollars on this? i could have just downloaded charlies angels and gotten the same effect.

And notice that each an every one of these stories is COMPLETLY ORIGINAL! oh wait, they aren't. Notice how every game results in some uber villian bent on world destruction.

The problem is that final fantasy are the only RPG's most people play. Of COURSE they would find it to be the best game ever made because thats all they know. And the reaosn it's over-rated, in case you didn't read what everyone else posted, is because it recieves SO MUCH undeserved hype and praise.
Final fantasy is more or less a gateway RPG that people play when they have no idea what an RPG is. The problem is that most poeple stay with it because it overshadows most other RPG series, even the other native square RPG's.

Look at all the other RPG series that go un-noticed because of all the final fantasy and kingdom eharts hype.

Xenosaga/gears
Star Ocean
Suikoden
Shadow Hearts

and dozens upon dozens of other series that are clearly superior to final fantasy are ignored. Don't say they aren't over shadowed either. Sure, when a new game RPG is realsed, you here some hype over it, but after it's relased for a few weeks, they are pretty muched pushed aside and forgotton. But EVERYONE keeps bringing up final fantasy like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And as for that "So stop complaining about it because the world loves it."

A. We are stating our opinion.
B. The world is just blind.

It's understood that the game with have it's fans, but far to many people take it to an exteme that really should never be. As Member Name pointed out, some people even go as far as to buy a system, simply for 1 game (in this case final fantasy)

And Final Fantasy 7 isn't the greatest game of all time. According to several sources (EGM being the most well known) the greatest game of all time is Super Metroid for the SNES. But thats not important right now.

If people choose not to like Final Fantasy, they have a right to complain. And right now your being a hypocrit. Aren't you complaining right now because we dislike Final Fantasy?

[BlackDeath]
11-24-2005, 05:17 PM
I do I do, given that it is a good RPG series, it's not the games that I find is the problem, it's the hoards of mindless wannabe fanatics of the series that don't know nothing past FF7 that ruins it. With complete disreguard of the previous titles which got Square to where it is today. FF7 did change peopls opionions of RPG's in the west, thanks to that game people now know what the initials 'RPG' actually stand for.

Since FF is so high and mighty up there, most westerners fail to see the other good RPG's out there that are better than most, if not all FF's. It's only due to the attention and praise it recieves that it blinds said ignorant masses. With a way more than a handful of great RPG titles out there. And am glad that Shadow Hearts, Suikoden and Xenogears was mentioned above ^^;

Sword
11-24-2005, 05:21 PM
A hypocrit? mmm....not really. Some of the complaints here are a bit vague/childish. "rawr, I am your dad! but guess what! Im really a big laser firing piece of snot!" - That one, for example.

-Batman-
11-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Fine than, i will break that statement down for you than.

"Tidus, your father is a giant insect like creature, your 1000 years old, and your a walking dream forumlated by false religious entities,"

Yes, because this plot makes a hole lot of sense. It's not belivable. And your statement about battles being only 10% of the game is bull. How do you expect to beat the final boss? Battle him. And how do you get strong enough to BEAT the final boss...i don't know...battle?

LeapOfFaith
11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I do. The only FF that has come close to impressing me is X, which, I have to admit, was very good. I have spent my life playing onderrated RPGs, and I find most of them MUCH better then FF (Lunar, Legend of Mana, Thousand Arms, Etc)

-Batman-
11-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I credit you for good taste in RPG's LoF.

LeapOfFaith
11-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks ^^ I would detail the list, but I am lazy. I may update later

Assuming that you like those as well, I send you many kudos, as well as the "5 points for thinking outside the box" badge.

Darth Tyranus
11-24-2005, 06:19 PM
The best final fantasy is hands down tactics, but you never hear folks saying it's the greatest game ever. And there is a good reason it's to hard for most of the fan boys to play. Advanced wars is a better tactical game anyway but that's isn't the point. People love final fantasy because of how mindless it is, you don't need any skill to play it. Waste enough hours of your life and you will beat it. Tactics needs skill so of course the drones who suck at games just ignore it.

Regex
11-24-2005, 10:46 PM
People love final fantasy because of how mindless it is, you don't need any skill to play it. Waste enough hours of your life and you will beat it. Tactics needs skill so of course the drones who suck at games just ignore it.For people like Darth Tyranus, who think Final Fantasy is too simple, more than likely RPG's just aren't for you. A fine demonstration would be this Penny Arcade comic:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/07
Some people are interested in story to go with their game, and some people just want to kill things without knowing why. Those of us who played the series before Final Fantasy VII will disagree with what you said here. Well, everyone who likes the series will disagree, but most people who joined in the craze for FFVII will probably be wrong. First and foremost to me, I focus on story in my games. This has been the habit ever since Final Fantasy IV. (for the few people who don't already know it, that was released as Final Fantasy II here, for the SNES) After story comes gameplay. How does it play? Are you wasting your time on stupid things like controls, or is the challenge in the actual game itself? After that comes graphics.

I find that the challenge to the Final Fantasy games that I enjoy is to uncover as much of the story as possible. Learn as much of the back story to various characters as you can. Find the secrets that show you a new cinematic, or unlock a new area. If you don't care about the story, then once again, this isn't for you. But there are games out there that are way too simple. Final Fantasy X is the best example. No challenge, not even hardly any variations allowed. Plain and simple. Go here, fight boss, watch movie. Go here, fight boss, watch movie. Go here, fight boss, watch movie. Go here, guess puzzle, fight boss, watch movie. And so forth. There's a few extra summons you can get, sure. But where's the story?

Then we have games that are utterly ridiculous. (also known as "Nintendo Hard") Nintendo Hard is characterized by something along the lines of the old Metal Slug or Contra games, where you can do nothing more than play it over and over and over again until you either learn the pattern that everything goes in, or you get incredibly lucky. However, this is all a discussion for another day.

As for the comments on Final Fantasy Tactics, I'll agree, for the most part. My biggest beef with the PSX version was how long each fight could take. There would be some fun fights, but it's hard to feel like you accomplished something when it takes you 45 minutes just to walk to the next city. And this was just a random encounter. Tactics Advanced was a bit better about that, though the random laws, challenging as they made things, they came out of nowhere. Just made no sense.

evuljenius
11-24-2005, 11:40 PM
You want a good, non-overrated RPG? Get an Xbox and buy KOTOR. KOTOR is a good Star Wars game, and an RPG. You know how rare that really is?

red storm
11-25-2005, 03:48 AM
See the thing is I didn't say that, no one did. That's why I had no idea how goldeneye came up.
Sorry, misread a line, my mistake.

You want a good, non-overrated RPG? Get an Xbox and buy KOTOR. KOTOR is a good Star Wars game, and an RPG. You know how rare that really is?
In my experience that only aplies to star wars fans. Why? Because as a fan, I went absolutely bezerk when I found out I could go to Kashyyyk, while people who don't know much about star wars would just scribe it of as just another planet.

KOTOR was a good game, but it was only 'brilliant' to the fans because of the loads and loads of indept knowledge.

Masali
11-25-2005, 10:06 AM
it's not that im not an RPG person, because I am. I enjoy stories that MAKE SENSE. Final Fantasy stories make NO SENSE. Tactics had a story, and It was damn fun, in turn Fire emblem was fun. it had a story, and it was a good game. and it took SKILL. FF is just Attack-->wait-->get attacked-->super rigged overdrive
so even though your near death you can use some retarded wrath of god move to kill whatever it is. no. skill.

bakakame
11-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I really dislike almost all rpg's just because they are so BORING. It's the turn based attack crap that's the worst for me. If I'm going to play a game, I want to do just that, play a game, not sit there and for the most part read a book on the TV. I don't mind following the story in a few rpg's, but Final Fantasy is just way too out there, even by fantasy standards.

Lot's of rpg's are that way, but Final Fantasy gets the most hype, so it's definitally the most overrated.

gothic_neko_youkai
11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
So then....what about Secret of Mana?
Do you hate that game?

Masali
11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Would you at least make an attempt to contribute something to the conversation instead of chiming in with irrealevant babble?

Darth Tyranus
11-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Then we have games that are utterly ridiculous. (also known as "Nintendo Hard") Nintendo Hard is characterized by something along the lines of the old Metal Slug or Contra games, where you can do nothing more than play it over and over and over again until you either learn the pattern that everything goes in, or you get incredibly lucky. However, this is all a discussion for another day
Now that's my kind of game! But you know what? I love games with storys as well, and I would love to play final fantasy 3-6 but finding them is easier said than done. All I can go on are the god awful 3-d ones. I will get to play 3 and 4 fairly soon since they are on their way to the nintendo hand helds to great for me.

As for the comments on Final Fantasy Tactics, I'll agree, for the most part. My biggest beef with the PSX version was how long each fight could take.
This is true, but many of the battles were a true test of wits. And i do enjoy that kind of thing from my tactical games.

I find that the challenge to the Final Fantasy games that I enjoy is to uncover as much of the story as possible. Learn as much of the back story to various characters as you can. Find the secrets that show you a new cinematic, or unlock a new area
I feel the very same way about kotor, and unlike final fantasy your actions can get you more back story. And msot of the characters are fun to learn about. It feels to often many characters are dried and pasted from older rpgs. That's when I lose interest.

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 12:09 AM
it's not that im not an RPG person, because I am. I enjoy stories that MAKE SENSE. Final Fantasy stories make NO SENSE.
Then maybe you should stop button mashing your way through the story...

If you hate Final Fantasy stories so much why even play? Why even complain about them if they don't mean anything to you? You want attention?

Sure, I'll give you some attention...

Final Fantasy games HAVE storylines...

The original... Not so much...

Final Fantasy II(Japanese version)... Had an okay story... Good original characters etc...

(I'll skip to 6 since I'm still playing 3, 4 and 5)

FFVI... Great story, still well known today... Each character had thier own little stories seperate from each other... Reminded me of the Romancing Saga series...

Now we'll get a little more serious...

FFVII... Story is extremely complicated... Mostly because it has alot of plot holes... The main story itself is simple... MUCH LIKE ANY RPG... "Save the princess, beat the bad guy." "Enemy is going to destroy the world, beat him and save the world."... Give me any RPG and I can simplify and make it sound stupid just like you did to all of the Final Fantasy games you made fun of...

FF Tactics: Tell you the truth, I really only played this game because I heard Cloud was in it... That was enough motivation for me to buy this... Yes it does has a good story... But about what Darth said about you having to need skill in this or whatever... Really isn't true... You need skill to some degree, but everything is pretty simple... It actually might be easier that Tactics Advanced since you don't get yellow or red carded... The story WAS good though... More intricate than your normal Final Fantasy...

FFVIII... Alright.. This story is complicated as well... OF COURSE, not everybody gave it a chance... Heck, I didn't give it a chance... I just played through it and beat it easy... I didn't really fully understand the story until I played it a second time years later... Julia, Raine, Laguna's relationship... How Squall is Laguna's son and Rinoa is Julia's daughter... Why Ellone was sending Squall into teh past... Blah blah blah... Of course if you just button mash thru everything you'll end up like yourself..

FFIX... I still haven't given this one a chance... Story was alright... It went kind-of OldSchool which wasn't bad... I guess I should play it again to remember what it was about... Something about mist and a big tree... Anyway... It was probably good...

Final Fantasy X and X-2... Well... the sotry was pretty simple, but if you actually go into everything, look at all the movie spheres of braska, jecht, and auron and think about everything, everything gets better... Not only that but you can't say this game was easy... Easy to beat the last boss maybe but try to beat all of the monsters in the arena... Try doing stuff that actually requires skill...

Anyway...

This is what I think...

If you don't like Final Fantasy, don't play it. Simple as that...

red storm
11-28-2005, 04:38 AM
To me, an important point of the game is the soundtrack. As weird as it sounds, the better the soundtrack the more motivation I have to play and RPG, or any game in general.

FFVII... Story is extremely complicated... Mostly because it has alot of plot holes... The main story itself is simple... MUCH LIKE ANY RPG... "Save the princess, beat the bad guy." "Enemy is going to destroy the world, beat him and save the world."... Give me any RPG and I can simplify and make it sound stupid just like you did to all of the Final Fantasy games you made fun of...
I won't argue with the "destroy/conquer the world" principle, as I thought that was apretty known fact. The plot holes in FFVII are annoying, I can't help but wonder why they were inserted at all. If story is what is so important in Final Fantasy, why insert major plotholes with no way of getting actual knowledge of what should be there?

FF Tactics: Tell you the truth, I really only played this game because I heard Cloud was in it... That was enough motivation for me to buy this... Yes it does has a good story... But about what Darth said about you having to need skill in this or whatever... Really isn't true... You need skill to some degree, but everything is pretty simple... It actually might be easier that Tactics Advanced since you don't get yellow or red carded... The story WAS good though... More intricate than your normal Final Fantasy... Even turn based RPG's need skill in the beginning, but in Final Fantasy you get equiped with high-powered weapons and abilities fairly quickly, which ruins a lot of the fun.

-skipped FFVIII because I haven't finished it yet, and I doupt I ever will since I have no motivation whatsoever to continue this boring story.-

-skipped FFIX because I never played it-

Final Fantasy X and X-2... Well... the sotry was pretty simple, but if you actually go into everything, look at all the movie spheres of braska, jecht, and auron and think about everything, everything gets better... Not only that but you can't say this game was easy... Easy to beat the last boss maybe but try to beat all of the monsters in the arena... Try doing stuff that actually requires skill... The Jecht Sphere's were the only entertaining thing about FFX. It didn't help anything to improve the lousy Tidus story, though. It was more a story on it's own. About the monsters in the arena, what motivation do I have to do that? I play an RPG for the story, I do the side quests for this exact reason, to find out more about my characters. Yes I can go to the arena, but what do I get for it in return? Weapons? Items? EXP? Feh.

Anyway...

This is what I think...

If you don't like Final Fantasy, don't play it. Simple as that... I believe you missed the point of this thread, most pro-Final Fantasy threads discuss how wonderfull Final Fantasy is, in this thread who the people who don't think so discus why they don't think so. Yes, some people whine a lot but do what we always do in a VS thread, ignore them.

I myself enjoyed almost every Final Fantasy I played, some more then others, while others I probably will never finish. However, I do not think Final Fantasy is worth all the praise it gets, as I have played plenty of RPG's which outclass Final Fantasy in both story, battle systems and soundtrack.

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 07:39 AM
I believe you missed the point of this thread, most pro-Final Fantasy threads discuss how wonderfull Final Fantasy is, in this thread who the people who don't think so discus why they don't think so. Yes, some people whine a lot but do what we always do in a VS thread, ignore them.

Well this one is a little different, the thread starter is the "whiner" in this case...

This is how i see it... He started this thread just for kicks... As an excuse to bash on FF...

Read this....

now, onto the repetitive plot. the 3 I hate are...7, 8, and 10. the only redeeming quality 7 has is sephiroth, and thats a stretch. 10 is really just...dumb. "rawr, I am your dad! but guess what! Im really a big laser firing piece of snot!"

7: "RAWR! the electric company is sucking crap out of da earth! now lets get together a rag tag bunch of underdogs that will come out ontop in the end, SO ORIGINAL LOLOLOL!"

8: "I R too stoopid to learn how to fight myself so I need an academy to teach me." and from then on I kept playing but didn't pay much attention. but the last thing I remember was waking up in my bathtub with a copy of FF8 shoved in my mouth.
As you can see here, he contradicts himself... Repetative plot...? Okaaaay... Even when you add all that sarcasm, you still end up with 3 plots totally different from each other... -_-

So he basically proved that Final Fantasy ISN'T repetative in terms of plot... You could read what he said about FFX, VII, and VIII all day and not find many similarities among them... Except the basic, "Beat the badguy, save the world" thing...

Anyway... I think I'll just wait for this, "masali" guy or whatever to reply himself..

Also, with darth here I can already see him with his, "DuRrR, y0r a fAnBoiIii..." card... Haha...

red storm
11-28-2005, 08:31 AM
I prefer to steer this thread away from the normal flame wars, and get this thread doing something more based on facts.

As for -the same plot as any other Final Fantasy- bah, every single RPG focusses on some evil overlord focused on either world domination or destruction. And why not? What motivation would you have otherwise? Beat the evil salesman because he didn't have purple spotted sweatshirts?

About VII and VIII, from what I've played of FFVIII I can say that Squall is a near identical clone of Cloud.

-both have abnormal weapons
-both have personality issues
-both have pretty boy enemies with equally abnormal weapons
-both have an army of screaming fangirls

very unimaginative, if you ask me.

Full metal chocolate lovr
11-28-2005, 08:50 AM
i love all of those games!! 7, 8, & 10 are some of my fav's!!

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Cloud's sword really isn't abnormal... If anything's abnormal its the strength of his triceps and biceps... He uses small swords as well... The Yoshiyuki, etc...

And Squall's... Well yeah... Abnormal, but that's just Square trying to be original...

And thier personality issues... Theyre completely different...

Squall is, "I was hurt when I was little so I've built up a wall to protect my fellings from being hurt again"...

Cloud is... Well he's just a bunch of crazy stuff... He's been traumatised from the whole Nibelhiem incident, then got stabbed in the stomach, got expiremented on, then mistakingly took someone else's personality/memories...

"Personality issues" is pretty broad... Alot of main characters and villains have them...

Pretty boy enemies... Well that's personal opinion... I wouldn't think of Seifer or Seph as pretty boys... But maybe I think that way because I'm a guy.

Umm... screaming fangirls outside of the videogame? If that's so, I'll just ignore this one since alot of main character guys and girls have an abundance of screaming fanpeople...

python862
11-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. I cannot think of a better franchise to call overrated!!!Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

red storm
11-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Cloud's sword really isn't abnormal... If anything's abnormal its the strength of his triceps and biceps... He uses small swords as well... The Yoshiyuki, etc...
I was thinking buster sword, no matter what you say that sword is not normal.

And thier personality issues... Theyre completely different...

Squall is, "I was hurt when I was little so I've built up a wall to protect my fellings from being hurt again"...

Cloud is... Well he's just a bunch of crazy stuff... He's been traumatised from the whole Nibelhiem incident, then got stabbed in the stomach, got expiremented on, then mistakingly took someone else's personality/memories...
Eh? I though't Cloud was shunned all his life in Nibelheim, sound's pretty much like being hurt in his childhood. And Squall get's all these memories from that Laguna guy, face it they are pretty much the same, maybe not in every detail but basically they are rough copies.

"Personality issues" is pretty broad... Alot of main characters and villains have them...
But not to the extent they make a pesimistic, rude and uncaring main character. Which both Squall and Cloud were in the beginning.

Pretty boy enemies... Well that's personal opinion... I wouldn't think of Seifer or Seph as pretty boys... But maybe I think that way because I'm a guy.
Trust me, they are. I won't fawn over them myself, but they are.

Umm... screaming fangirls outside of the videogame? If that's so, I'll just ignore this one since alot of main character guys and girls have an abundance of screaming fanpeople...
Fact.

TacoMan
11-28-2005, 09:51 AM
There is worse things we could be worring about than the significance, or lack of significance of a good selling mediocre game.

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I was thinking buster sword, no matter what you say that sword is not normal.
It is oversized, but they have alot of oversized swords in anime and videogames these days... It isn't "abnormal" to see video game and anime characters using gigantic swords...

Eh? I though't Cloud was shunned all his life in Nibelheim, sound's pretty much like being hurt in his childhood. And Squall get's all these memories from that Laguna guy, face it they are pretty much the same, maybe not in every detail but basically they are rough copies.
He really wasn't effected in his childhood... He was shunned by 3 boys and Tifa... Not something really big... Although he DID have a crush on Tifa... So yeah, he was hurt, but come on... These kind of things happen to kids all the time.. Being teased and such... Although he wasn't really being teased, it's something similar.

And Squall and Laguna... He didn't get his memoried from Laguna... He SAW Laguna's past through Ellone, the sister that abandoned him in order to save him... The "past sending" was used in order for Squall to guide Squall, and for Square to introduce the awesome character known as Laguna, Squall's father... Its nothing like Cloud acting like Zack.

But not to the extent they make a pesimistic, rude and uncaring main character. Which both Squall and Cloud were in the beginning.
Dont be confused... None of them were really pessimistic... Rude and Uncaring... That was more Squall than Cloud... Cloud changed his view almost immediately... And Cloud... he was just angsty... Rude... He wasn't really rude, he didn't care... But that was only in Midgar, after that he softened up to everyone, sort of.

Trust me, they are. I won't fawn over them myself, but they are.
Then I guess I'll just take your word for it... o.O;

Fact.
Umm... I don't really have a reply for this. I'm guessing you agreed with me here.

Regex
11-28-2005, 09:56 AM
And Squall's... Well yeah... Abnormal, but that's just Square trying to be original...Square has been trying to be original in this way ever since FF8. Trying to make your main character that emo is just frustrating. Cloud had a very good reason. He was utterly confused about who he was entirely. Squall's just a punk kid who wants to try not to fit in. I can't respect that kind of character, nor can I enjoy a story based around that kind of character. And that's not even getting into the things I hate about the gameplay.

MistaCloudStrife's statements, as crudely put as they are, are correct. The plots are not repetitive. Cloud and Squall are very different.
Red Storm has one point I agree with. The arena in FFX was worthless. No story, no point.

red storm
11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
It is oversized, but they have alot of oversized swords in anime and videogames these days... It isn't "abnormal" to see video game and anime characters using gigantic swords... Anime related it isn't, but if we look from our point of view, it's abnormally large, which was my point.

He really wasn't effected in his childhood... He was shunned by 3 boys and Tifa... Not something really big... Although he DID have a crush on Tifa... So yeah, he was hurt, but come on... These kind of things happen to kids all the time.. Being teased and such... Although he wasn't really being teased, it's something similar. Not having any friends of your age in the past sounds like a major childhood problem. I recall a "Tifa VS Aeris" discussion where you brought this up. We only see Cloud getting shunned, we never see any evidence that there were other kids.

And Squall and Laguna... He didn't get his memoried from Laguna... He SAW Laguna's past through Ellone, the sister that abandoned him in order to save him... The "past sending" was used in order for Squall to guide Squall, and for Square to introduce the awesome character known as Laguna, Squall's father... Its nothing like Cloud acting like Zack. I never said he got the memories from Laguna, only that he got them. I know it's not the same as getting someone's complete memory shoved in your head, but the memory thing remains the same.

Dont be confused... None of them were really pessimistic... Rude and Uncaring... That was more Squall than Cloud... Cloud changed his view almost immediately... And Cloud... he was just angsty... Rude... He wasn't really rude, he didn't care... But that was only in Midgar, after that he softened up to everyone, sort of. Okay, so maybe they are not copies of one another as I initially thought, but as far as I played Squall looks a hell of a lot like Cloud in the beginning.

Umm... I don't really have a reply for this. I'm guessing you agreed with me here. I did.

Galaxy
11-28-2005, 10:08 AM
i believe you are wrong because of the FFT game where it is a RTS not a RPG...therefore it is nopt always about strength but also in numbers and strategy...then you can change the way the characters use skills by changing the classes they are so they can range from knights to summoners...and that is one person alone...and the storyline is new with a couple of people from other games like Cloud from FF7

red storm
11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
RTS uses things like resourse managment, placing of construction buildings, defensive structures. They focus more on 'how fast can you produce' instead of 'how do you manage what you have'

RPG's focus on the characters, they build the persona's you use. A part of that would be the level system. Characters win, grow levels and gain aditional skills.

Any RPG uses strategy wether it is what skills to use or when what character should attack, Tactics focusses on that, hence why it is called 'tactics'

So FFT is pretty much an RPG.

Galaxy
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
in that case...FFT is both RTS and RPG because you need to build up an army that can back you up easily when you are in trouble like setting traps...the battle system is different and it is also like who you can hit for more and trap where as the others are more like who can i kill quicker so i dont take as much damage and then if need be run...FFT is about fighting to the death...

Khanxay
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
in that case...FFT is both RTS and RPG because you need to build up an army that can back you up easily when you are in trouble like setting traps...the battle system is different and it is also like who you can hit for more and trap where as the others are more like who can i kill quicker so i dont take as much damage and then if need be run...FFT is about fighting to the death... FFT is a RTS? now thats new. I never knew Real Time Strategy could be turn based. And to me it didnt really require much strategy anyways.

Masali
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Cloud fails to get a rise off of me, however I shall defend my honor. Maybe I shouldn't have used only repetitive, the stories are STUPID and repetitive. In alot of the stories the plot is either typical or really stupid. And I play them with the hopes that the next one will be better because the classics ROCKED. But after VIII I became annoyed and just quit while I was ahead. As for your assumption of me starting this thread for kicks you would be dead wrong, and quite retarded in fact. I started it because I am sick and tired of fanboys (like yourself) praising FF as some kind of gift from god. In reality, i was hoping we could skip the whole "defense of the accursed babbling fanboy" and go to the part where me and a bunch of others who actually agree with me. So I actually just started this topic in hopes people like you wouldn't post, my hopes were crushed by the sheer mass of your fanboy-ness.

At any rate, I don't mash through the stories. I can take a couple seconds, maybe the occasional minute to read through it. I also love how Im referred to as "this 'masali' guy", obviously another ploy just so see if he can sucessfully start a flame war with me. Again, you have failed miserably. If you don't agree with what we're saying don't linger on it, this is for "who thinks FF is overrated" not "who thinks and who doesn't think FF is overrated" I put no poll, frankly I don't care if you like FF. If you like lame stories then knock yourself out. if you want repetitive gameplay, I won't stop you. People like Red Storm, Darth, and the others who are posting intellegently get my respect. The one who is in fact looking for a fight (with me, no less) is you, mr. Cloud Strife.

Thats enough fun for today.

Galaxy
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
only reason i play it is to give me something to do...i mean i do pretty much nothing so i play the games to see how far i get before getting bored...except FFT...i started it and needed to finish it...i really dont caer about it the only games i will defend is the Halo series...and Ring of Red(PS2)...and X-squad(PS2)

nyar majinn
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Mabye FF is overated, but its still an awesome experience on the whole. I wouldn't stop playing just because you said it was overated as with Halo

Masali
11-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Neither would I. I think halo is overrated but I still play it...

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Yet you didn't put up any sort of evidence that FF is, "STUPID and repetative"... You just talk and talk and talk without really saying anything...

I can take a couple seconds, maybe the occasional minute to read through it.

You "can"... huh?

Wow... That's nice... So I presume that you usually don't even read through...

Oh and "fanboy" remarks... Hah... You get my thumbs up for going to that level... *throws up a double thumbs up* Good job. Looks like you got to it before Darth did...

Also... "Fails to get a rise out of me"... Hah... If I really wanted to get a rise out of you, I wouldn't be so nice in my posts... <_< >_> I'm not the kind of person to get angry or start a fight "online", just the thought of it is really stupid...

Also...

"Who thinks FF is overrated..." heh... "Who thinks"(Yeah, read it over again a couple times) This is a question with an opinionated answer.... So the question "who doesn't think FF is overrated" is basically asked in the title as well...

Masali
11-28-2005, 11:00 AM
read it one more time...

WHO thinks FF is OVERRATED. if you don't think FF is overrated, don't post. cause my question wasn't really open to you. and as for the fanboy card, I only mentioned it I didn't make it my whole argument. and Darth wouldn't either, he never has either.

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I think you're the one who should read again...

"Who thinks FF is the most overrated franchise...ever."

If you REALLY wanted only those that thought like you it would be this...

"For those who think FF is the most overrated franchise...ever."

But it isnt like that... Just look at both of those quotes for a while, it should come to you at some point.

Masali
11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
if it would make you happy I would gladly edit the title if it would stop you from posting.

MistaCloudStrife
11-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Sure, as long as you realise that your title and previous post were wrong. This will be my last post... Good day to you.

Sword
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Ok. I agree with all of mista's arguments. You really dont back anything up with evidence. You just keep making one childish claim after the other. And you really should change the title to "Who thinks FF is crap?" because that's mainly what this thread is about. Not how it's "overrated".

Masali
11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
If you even pretended to try to read any of the above posts instead of just posting for the hell of making more arguments.

Sword
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
What are talking about...Its true and you know it. You've been defeated and this thread no-longer has any meaning, until you come along with a valid claim.

Darth Tyranus
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Also, with darth here I can already see him with his, "DuRrR, y0r a fAnBoiIii..." card... Haha...

Whatever moron, just keep putting several thousand ellipses after each sentance.

Mista you come so close in your prior posts to just saying lots of the final fantasy games have bad plots but you then just hop on that train back to crazy town. You even said that seven has plot holes, news flash things with good plots DON'T HAVE THOSE. You came so close to just out right saying Squal was a bad main character, why don't you?

And if you want a good example of the games having dumb plots I have some great examples. But first i woudl like to say that your confusing the word complex with contrived when you speak of 7 and 8 plot lines. Way to much of those games are contrived as all hell. Good example of this was in 8 when they all came from the same homeless shelter. That had no bearing on the plot and was just idiotic. I loved how later in the game moon monsters started to invade the planet shortly after that I thought it was time to give the game a rest.

As good as final fantasy may have been it's garabge now, end of story. It's people like you who make it impossible for me to give these games a fair chance. You hype the hell out of each and everyone of them so of course I have to hold them to a higher standard.

bakakame
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Just thought I'd point out that I've tried to tally the number of Final Fantasy threads in this forum and I'm almost out of room on the paper only halfway through the forum. Thus, I feel that the general description of this thread is quite valid. It's almost suffocating... We should probably do with final fantasy in this thread what they did about all the gundam topics in the mecha thread, close/delete everything else and just make one multi-purpose final fantasy thread.

Anyway, like I said before, it's overrated. Forgive me for not bringing up quotes, but someone somewhere back there asked why play if we don't like it? Well, I don't play them now, but I did buy FF7 and 8 after hearing so much hype about it. After playing FF7, I felt like killing the guy that told me about it. Later on I gave FF8 a chance because so many people were still praising it. Once again, I felt like shooting someone. These 2 games suck. Now I don't know if the other's are just as bad, but I've been fooled twice and I'm not giving those ones a try.

Now on to the main point, once again, note the actual NAME of the thread, "WHO thinks FF is the most overrated franchise...ever." not IS it the most overrated, but who thinks it is. Frankly, wouldn't that make you guys the ones who are out of line here?

If you think it's a great game, more power to you, but you should probably do that posting in one of the many, MANY pro-FF threads.

Masali
11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
What are talking about...Its true and you know it. You've been defeated and this thread no-longer has any meaning, until you come along with a valid claim.
and you have a valid claim? all you say is "you're wrong, you've been beaten" smooth move, captain ignorance.

My claim is that the battle system is boring and repetitive, the story is choppy and has no coheasion everything is hap hazardly scattered here and there until you can see what once might have been a story. Any romance in the story is forced and unrealistic, Cloud and Aerith, Tidus and Yuna, etc...

the game has ALOT of flaws, but people are drawn to it because it's an easy game in a fantasy world that attracts most fanboys and girls.

Sword
11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes that has been dicussed, but this thread has turned into "what do you hate about FF"

Masali
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Everything I said comes down to me not understanding WHY FF is so overrated because it's definately not that good, period. how about this: "I think it's overrated because it's in a fantasy world that appeals to some, I can't understand why people like it so much because *insert all of FF's flaws (an infinite amount in all) here*"

Sword
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
If I wanted a game that focused on story, I would read a book. If you play a game for the story then you have some serious problems. I play games for fun. and I don't hate it because the whole world loves it, I hate it because it sucks. It's just not a fun game. it's boring and repetitive. and by thinking that any FF game's story is complex than I doubt you finished the 3rd grade. either that or you're just a brain dead fanboy. I venture to say that the latter of the 2 is the correct assumption.
That's what I'm talking about.
Btw, now you're just lazy, copying a previous message...

Masali
11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I didn't just post that...
thats an old post.

Sword
11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah...That's what I said

Masali
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
right...so how did I copy paste it?

Sword
11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Copy and paste....O.o;

Masali
11-28-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah...let's just ignore those last couple posts >.>

NunchakuKobudo
11-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Okay, wtf?!

Your first pathetic point is that the Final Fantasy games have the same plot, and then you go on to give an accurate account of FF7 and FF8s DIFFERENT plots. Dumbass.

As for, `its not challenging`, that’s because its up to you make it challenging. The classic No Materia FF7 game, the No Junction FF8, No Sphere Grid FFX, etc. THESE are what make the essence of the game. You complete the game, then you tackle it again under harder, more difficult settings.

The battle system DOES change. In the beginning, Square introduced the ATB system, and it work wonders. They had no need to change it. But for the complete and utter retards like yourself, they changed it to the CTB system. Both immensely successful. A subtle change? I think not.

Characters are given such depth, you need to play each FF several times to comprehend everything, if you possibly can. Not only do they offer ambiguous main characters, but the minor characters too are deeply integrated to the main plot and sub-plots. Characters are not just put in there to fill up space.

Themes vary between games, but u will encounter certain themes that secretly link each game. I’m not talking bout frikken chocobos, I mean like the inspirational `Julia` theme.

Final Fantasy was named `Final Fantasy` because it was supposed to be Sakaguchi`s last game before he retired. He had made a series of games entitled fantasy games for the NES, but since the console did not have enough capacity in the storage, the games he made were limited in size and thus length, and thus quality. He was on the brink of quitting the games industry altogether in 1987 so he decided to make one last one, and then he would leave. Thus the `Final` of his series of Fantasy’s. The game was a HUGE hit and demands were made for a sequel. Sequels are not being constantly made to annoy you, you selfish brat, but to please the many, many, MANY fans than have lived through this epic story.

Every time another instalment is initiated, the Square team work from SCRATCH. Sakaguchi has done this every time, because he feels it triggers his motivation. They start developing gameplay systems to a higher level. Obviously, if something he felt worked well in the pervious title, he’d use it again.

Final Fantasy was one of the pioneers of the RPG at the beginning of the gaming world. And it has CONTINUED to grow since then, travelling through and dominating each console that was blessed to have it among its number.

Final Fantasy is the phenomena that changed the face of video gaming. Bow before the legacy.

evuljenius
11-28-2005, 05:28 PM
FF is so overrated. Square can take a peice of crap, slap the FF liscense on it, and it will sell. like hotcakes covered in crack and stuffed with mar-a-wan-ha. And all huge swords are the results of both the developers and the main charecters compensating for something. yeah you know what.

NunchakuKobudo
11-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Well, unless for some insane reson Square decided to followed your dumbass plan for the next big game,we wont know, will we?
And if it did it did sell, it wasnt just because of an overnight acheivment, was it?
That sort of status comes with years of development, and obviously, that status has gotten throught to you aswell - you think it will sell, even though you dont enjoy the games.

Masali
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
You're giving us reasons on why FF is good, the topic is why it's overrated. if you think FF is the best well good for you, you have horrible taste. you play a game that never changes despite your best efforts to back up the fact that it does change, never gets interesting and (thought the plots may be different) are boring and usually stupid. FF7 almost focuses on an evil electric company if you look at it closely. no matter how you look at it, FF is more popular than it really should be. they did something right a long time ago and it has been long since lost but since it's final fantasy and apparantly FF has a legacy of greatness the games will sell, but now the games are HORRID and FF has achieved a legacy of suck. And to think you actually resorted to flaming? you are a sad shell of what probably never was a sentient human being.

NunchakuKobudo
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Where is your proof that this is a series that ` never changes`, and `never gets interesting` and `are boring and usually stupid`? I have provided proof, answered the questions posed to me by this thread and expressed my opinions.

I have explained why it may be deemed as `overrated`, you just don’t seem to be able to read the posts that other people, besides yourself, are taking an interest in.

Also, why is it that you are only ever making references to FF7 and FF8?
I would wish to know what games exactly you are referring to when you say `but now the games are HORRID and FF has achieved a legacy of suck`?

-Batman-
11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Okay, wtf?!

Your first pathetic point is that the Final Fantasy games have the same plot, and then you go on to give an accurate account of FF7 and FF8s DIFFERENT plots. Dumbass. he said they had similar plots. And on congratulations, you can actually use the word dumbass as an insult!

As for, `its not challenging`, that’s because its up to you make it challenging. The classic No Materia FF7 game, the No Junction FF8, No Sphere Grid FFX, etc. THESE are what make the essence of the game. You complete the game, then you tackle it again under harder, more difficult settings. Who the hell would want to do that? How on Earth could people LIVE without seeing those JAW DROPPING special effects we see from out favorite spells and summons.
Please, that would just leave you with attacking. And how the Hell do you complete FF10 without useing the spear grid? last i checked thats how you increased your health. Unless you have a gameshark or impeccable luck, your going to have one Hell of a time beating the game with the something around 350 HP. Also, last time i checked, when you get most of your characters they start out with parts of the sphere grid already complete.
Playing FF7 without materia would just make it boring, because that limits you too attacks and limit breaks...Wow, talk about enthralling. Same applies for Junction in FF8.

The battle system DOES change. In the beginning, Square introduced the ATB system, and it work wonders. They had no need to change it. But for the complete and utter retards like yourself, they changed it to the CTB system. Both immensely successful. A subtle change? I think not. Wow, changing the battle system for Final Fantasy X changes the fact that the battle system was the same for the 9 prior Final Fantasy games. The problem with the battle system is simple. Everyone plays the same.

Final Fantasy 7-
No matter WHAT materia it is, you can equip it to ANYBODY. And at some point or another, everyone can have either long ranged weapons or short ranged. It would have been a much better battle system if some of the materia could only be equiped to certain people.

Example: The throw materia comes with Yuffie, correct? since she's a Kunoichi, it would make sense to allow only HER to use it, BUT it seems ANYONE could use it.

Another thing they could have done was give certain characters they're own unique abilities. I will admit that 10 did incorporate this. I kind of liked the idea of only having ONE person who could summon, and unless you waste away your life filling the entire sphere grid, she's your primairy white mage. The same applies for the other characters. They all have they're own uses and flaws. Which is why FFX is the only Final Fantasy i can "Tolerate" I would even go as far as to say i liked the game if the story didn't suck so much.

Characters are given such depth, you need to play each FF several times to comprehend everything, if you possibly can. Not only do they offer ambiguous main characters, but the minor characters too are deeply integrated to the main plot and sub-plots. Characters are not just put in
there to fill up space. You just said what was wrong with this yourself.You need to beat each Final fantasy several times before you can possibly comprehend each characters plot. Now, if we do this your way...

Each final fantasy takes...50 hours to beat give or take if you do everything right.

now, say you multiply that by a "Several"...that won't work at all will it? let's just say 4-5

now thats 200-250 hours of gameplay. Holy Hell thats a lot of game play! now multply those numbers by...say...11! (FF1-FFX2)

That brings us to 2200-2750 HOURS of gameplay if you want to pretty much master all the FF games completly. Better get some Pizza, coke, and while your at it install plumbing in your room because your going to be there for a LONG time.

Themes vary between games, but u will encounter certain themes that secretly link each game. I’m not talking bout frikken chocobos, I mean like the inspirational `Julia` theme. The games don't link to each other you dolt. So they reused a song, WOW! They reuse the Victory fan fair every game, just slightly modifed. It doesn't mean the games are secretly linked. If they WERE secretly linked than why do the continents change so Drastically each game?

Final Fantasy was named `Final Fantasy` because it was supposed to be Sakaguchi`s last game before he retired. He had made a series of games entitled fantasy games for the NES, but since the console did not have enough capacity in the storage, the games he made were limited in size and thus length, and thus quality. He was on the brink of quitting the games industry altogether in 1987 so he decided to make one last one, and then he would leave. Thus the `Final` of his series of Fantasy’s. The game was a HUGE hit and demands were made for a sequel. Sequels are not being constantly made to annoy you, you selfish brat, but to please the many, many, MANY fans than have lived through this epic story. Wow, whose *** did you pull those facts out of?
A) Go back a page or 2, your facts are almost correct, but your still wrong. A few members already went over this.
B) You have successfully proven that you didn't feel like reading everyone elses posts. If you have the patience to play and RPG, than you should certantly have the patience to read a few replies.

Every time another instalment is initiated, the Square team work from SCRATCH. Sakaguchi has done this every time, because he feels it triggers his motivation. They start developing gameplay systems to a higher level. Obviously, if something he felt worked well in the pervious title, he’d use it again. Because you know exactly what was going on in his head when he was creating Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy was one of the pioneers of the RPG at the beginning of the gaming world. And it has CONTINUED to grow since then, travelling through and dominating each console that was blessed to have it among its number. So was Dragon Warrior, Thats been around just as long despite the fact is has less games in it's library.

Final Fantasy is the phenomena that changed the face of video gaming. Bow before the legacy. Yes...let's all worship a video game like it's out new God. Those last four words alone show how much of a fanboy you are. And whoever said a phenomena had to be a good thing?

Darth Tyranus
11-28-2005, 06:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about.
Btw, now you're just lazy, copying a previous message...I have come to the conclusion you are a total idiot, you're in a thread that is about how over rated final fantasy is. Yet you can't grasp why people are complaing about it. Just shut up play some more over rated un original and over hyped final fantasy and watch the piece of tripe show known as evangleion.

evuljenius
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
People. An bashing thread does not need anyone to defend the item being bashing. Get your own damn thread. And I agree with Darth. And yes they haven't changed the combat. 'Cuz A] You still go to a combat screen; B] It is still turnbased; C] who the hell am i kidding? YOU CAN TELL FOR YOUR OWN DAMN SELF. The ATB in FFX is one new thing in one game. That is hardly changing the combat in any real way.

-Batman-
11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Just so you know, FFX was CTB, not ATB. And it's not a bashing thread, it's an opinion thread.

Regex
11-28-2005, 11:50 PM
It's incorrect to say that there is no challenge to Final Fantasy games. Some of the challenge comes from how you choose to build your characters. Playing with no materia or GF's or Sphere Grid, that's just nonsense. Those are the biggest point to the games. You build your characters in the way you think would be most effective. That's the challenge to the battle systems.
However, that being said, the battles aren't meant to be the primary focus of the game. They're a huge part, as they are the link between a movie and a game, creating the interactive portion. But the focus of a role playing game is supposed to be the characters. The role that you are trying to play. The battles are a supplement. The challenge to a role playing game is up to you. To illustrate this, I'll bring up Final Fantasy 6 once more. In this game, everyone had their base stats, and their one special ability. After that, anyone could learn any and every magic spell available. (with a few special exceptions) You could spend hours and hours raising each character to have every spell if you wanted to, or you could build certain characters to certain strengths. This isn't a challenge in the same way that a platformer or a tactics game is. It's a game to appeal to people who are more interested in story. The challenge isn't really in getting to the end. After all, as was said before, anyone with enough time can beat any of the Final Fantasy games. The challenge is in your immersion into the characters in the story. This isn't everyone's type of game, after all. Some people like it, and other's don't..

Yes, there is a huge following, including people who don't have as deep an understanding as some others. Yes, it is very popular. And most of all, YES, Masali exaggerates and takes his opinions to the extreme, in order to create his point. It's no wonder everyone's so confused here. Masali exaggerates, and people take him literally.

This guy, on the other hand..

That brings us to 2200-2750 HOURS of gameplay if you want to pretty much master all the FF games completly. Better get some Pizza, coke, and while your at it install plumbing in your room because your going to be there for a LONG time.Yes, some people do like to spend a lot of time playing their games. Naturally, your math doesn't add up, even when trying to take this other guy literally. But the fact remains that there is a LOT to uncover in these games, and if you want to uncover it all, it can take you a long time.

And for the record, as stated on page 1, the first Final Fantasy game was inspired by the Dragon Quest series (This being one and the same with Dragon Warrior.) Many elements will be similar. Dragon Quest was first. Final Fantasy improved upon it, and created something that ultimately became huge.

-Batman-
11-29-2005, 06:25 AM
This guy, on the other hand..
Yes, some people do like to spend a lot of time playing their games. Naturally, your math doesn't add up, even when trying to take this other guy literally. But the fact remains that there is a LOT to uncover in these games, and if you want to uncover it all, it can take you a long time.
"This guy" wasn't trying to add up the proper math. "This guy" was trying to point out that if you were to sit down and beat every final fantasy game several times as Nunchakukobudo said, than you would be sitting there for a very long time. I was just making a rough estimate,and i used those numbers, because most of my Playtimes were between 50-60 hours. I just used the lower number.I also said 4-5 times each game because Nunchakukobudo said you had to beat each game several times. I thought 4-5 was enough to be considerd several for a video game. The math isn't wrong.
50x4=200. Can we agree on this?
200x the number of final fantasy games (11 games,not including FF11 and Tactics)which brings you to 2200.
My example may not have been good to you, but 'this guys" math was right. Of course, no matter what the averages, the combined playtime of each game is STILL high.

Sword
11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
FF is so overrated. Square can take a peice of crap, slap the FF liscense on it, and it will sell. like hotcakes covered in crack and stuffed with mar-a-wan-ha. And all huge swords are the results of both the developers and the main charecters compensating for something. yeah you know what.
That was such a cheap shot right there! Is that what it's come down to?

I have come to the conclusion you are a total idiot, you're in a thread that is about how over rated final fantasy is. Yet you can't grasp why people are complaing about it. Just shut up play some more over rated un original and over hyped final fantasy and watch the piece of tripe show known as evangleion.
What, what and what? That was completely unprovoked and uncalled for!!

Darth Tyranus
11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
What, what and what? That was completely unprovoked and uncalled for!!

Uncalled for? You are in a thread about why final fantasy is overrated but you can't understand why people are posting things they hate about it! How thick can you get?

Khanxay
11-29-2005, 05:46 PM
hmm...are y'all fighting over if final fantasy deserves its reputaion....or just sying why you hate it?

Romantic
11-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I gotta say I enjoyed the first four Final Fantasy games. I also liked Final Fantasy 9 because it brought the older ones to life in 3D. All the other Final Fantasy games branched off into otherwordly settings that just seemed a little farfetched. 7 and 8 especially turned me from the series. 10 had a nice setting and story, yet the twist about tidus being a ghost shot it down.

sanokidsasuke
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Okay, wtf?!

Your first pathetic point is that the Final Fantasy games have the same plot, and then you go on to give an accurate account of FF7 and FF8s DIFFERENT plots. Dumbass.

As for, `its not challenging`, that’s because its up to you make it challenging. The classic No Materia FF7 game, the No Junction FF8, No Sphere Grid FFX, etc. THESE are what make the essence of the game. You complete the game, then you tackle it again under harder, more difficult settings.

The battle system DOES change. In the beginning, Square introduced the ATB system, and it work wonders. They had no need to change it. But for the complete and utter retards like yourself, they changed it to the CTB system. Both immensely successful. A subtle change? I think not.

Characters are given such depth, you need to play each FF several times to comprehend everything, if you possibly can. Not only do they offer ambiguous main characters, but the minor characters too are deeply integrated to the main plot and sub-plots. Characters are not just put in there to fill up space.

Themes vary between games, but u will encounter certain themes that secretly link each game. I’m not talking bout frikken chocobos, I mean like the inspirational `Julia` theme.

Final Fantasy was named `Final Fantasy` because it was supposed to be Sakaguchi`s last game before he retired. He had made a series of games entitled fantasy games for the NES, but since the console did not have enough capacity in the storage, the games he made were limited in size and thus length, and thus quality. He was on the brink of quitting the games industry altogether in 1987 so he decided to make one last one, and then he would leave. Thus the `Final` of his series of Fantasy’s. The game was a HUGE hit and demands were made for a sequel. Sequels are not being constantly made to annoy you, you selfish brat, but to please the many, many, MANY fans than have lived through this epic story.

Every time another instalment is initiated, the Square team work from SCRATCH. Sakaguchi has done this every time, because he feels it triggers his motivation. They start developing gameplay systems to a higher level. Obviously, if something he felt worked well in the pervious title, he’d use it again.

Final Fantasy was one of the pioneers of the RPG at the beginning of the gaming world. And it has CONTINUED to grow since then, travelling through and dominating each console that was blessed to have it among its number.

Final Fantasy is the phenomena that changed the face of video gaming. Bow before the legacy.
A-freaking-Men!!

Okay this is what I see from so many people: They have a favorite game or franchise, and are mad because it's not doing as well as FF. Well here's news for ya!

FF is NOT overrated because the people who are rating it are the consumers like yourselves and the actual, official game raters! If you're game isn't getting good ratings, then it's because either:

1. The game doesn't hold a candle to FF.
2. There is no enthusiasm to buy or play the game.
3. It's just not known right now and you need to advertise or something.

Final Fantasy has not come up short in what it has presented to the Rpg gaming world. Everyone has their own preferences yes, but, you cannot say that it's overrated unless you have played ALL the games, and disliked a big part of them and believe other games are much better. But then you need some kind of proof to back it up!

But this doesn't have everything to do with other games. You don't find many games worthy of FF standards. The games are usually flawed in some place, whereas you would be VERY hard pressed to find fault with anything in the series, for it's time.

FF has paved the way for other games in the Rpg genre altogether. Everything is original, granted there are familiar things in there, but what would any series be without those things.

Let's get personal.

evuljenius: Rpg's are mostly ABOUT the STORYLINE. If you want good combat then play an action rpg or a fighter, but not something that is so steeped in a gracious and deep storyline that you are gonna rant and piss your pants over. Star Ocean & Kingdom Hearts, probably good choices for you. Maybe FF just isn't your style. But for it's genre you can't complain.

Redfield22: Um...Im almost positively sure that every FF game from FFVI up had characters with abilities that were unique to them. As for time, it's all about replay value. People want to keep coming back to it, obviously, and so time is not an issue.

I wish i had more time to read and write but I will come back...:banghead:

Khanxay
11-29-2005, 07:15 PM
well i guess ill say why i think most of the series is good. the MINIGAMES!! Thats the main reason i have so many hours on 7, 8, and 10.

-Batman-
11-29-2005, 07:20 PM
A-freaking-Men!!

Okay this is what I see from so many people: They have a favorite game or franchise, and are mad because it's not doing as well as FF. Well here's news for ya! Thats just retarded. There are a lot of games out there that are doing just as good as FF, and there are those doing even better. Halo for example is one of those games (doing almost as good seeing as how there are only 2 games...but it's still more over rated than Final Fantasy)

FF is NOT overrated because the people who are rating it are the consumers like yourselves and the actual, official game raters! If you're game isn't getting good ratings, then it's because either:

1. The game doesn't hold a candle to FF.
2. There is no enthusiasm to buy or play the game.
3. It's just not known right now and you need to advertise or something. Do you even know what over rated means? It means the game gets hype is doesn't deserve, it has nothing to do with the ratings it gets from magazines and websites.

Final Fantasy has not come up short in what it has presented to the Rpg gaming world. Everyone has their own preferences yes, but, you cannot say that it's overrated unless you have played ALL the games, and disliked a big part of them and believe other games are much better. But then you need some kind of proof to back it up! I'll speak personaly on this one.

I myself have played all of the final fantasy games excluding FF9(I didn't play enough of it to pass a solem judgement) And i did dislike a big part of almost all of them except 3/6 and 4. Now tell me how i prove i disliked parts of the games? would you like me to list them? thats all a matter of opinion.

But this doesn't have everything to do with other games. You don't find many games worthy of FF standards. The games are usually flawed in some place, whereas you would be VERY hard pressed to find fault with anything in the series, for it's time. I can name several games that go beyond FF standards. I bet many others can as well. Some people will still stick with Final Fantasy. This statement can only be backed up with opinions as well. I personaly find the first three games in the Suikoden series much better than Final Fantasy. There will also be people out there who hate suikoden, thats how the world goes round.

FF has paved the way for other games in the Rpg genre altogether. Everything is original, granted there are familiar things in there, but what would any series be without those things.[/qoute]

I guess I can agree with this. RPG's had to start somewhere, and the first few games were good.

[quote]Let's get personal. K

evuljenius: Rpg's are mostly ABOUT the STORYLINE. If you want good combat then play an action rpg or a fighter, but not something that is so steeped in a gracious and deep storyline that you are gonna rant and piss your pants over. Star Ocean & Kingdom Hearts, probably good choices for you. Maybe FF just isn't your style. But for it's genre you can't complain. I'll agree with Star Ocean, because the story is amazing. The only reason i even purchased Kingdom Hearts is because I love Disney. But...he's most likely already played Kingdom Hearts, it is a rather popular game.

Redfield22: Um...Im almost positively sure that every FF game from FFVI up had characters with abilities that were unique to them. As for time, it's all about replay value. People want to keep coming back to it, obviously, and so time is not an issue.
10 does, and i don't know about 9. However, from what I see in FF7, every character has the ability to play the same as any other character. Limit breaks don't count either,because even though most of them are diffrent in some way, everyone has them.
And i will retract my satement on FF8. I was wrong on that. I forgot about squalls aditional Gunblade damage and Rinoa's dog...so i guess that those are unique abilities.

Romantic
11-29-2005, 07:36 PM
For the record...This entire thread is OPPINIONATED and nothing here is proven fact except for the fact that Final Fantasy games EXIST. I suggest some people let the others rant about how much they hate the series, because it doesn't matter what they say as long as YOU still believe YOU like the game. And to the people ranting about this so called awful series, i seriously doubt EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU has played ALL the final fantasy games....I honestly think this thread needs to bite the dust and get shut down. Its just a big Flame-fest now. I don't care if you flame me for this comment, but this thread is just buggin me.

-Batman-
11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
but this thread is just buggin me.
Than don't read and/or reply.

Darth Tyranus
11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Final fantasy fans get their panties in a wad so easily it's a joke. Some one could start a thread saying star wars is the worst movie of all time and I wouldn't bat an eye lash. Super fans often get trapped in mundane details, who cares if we haven't played all 11 final fantasy games? If you have played 3 or 4 of them and you know you don't like it what's the point? All of you fan boys can go cry in your oat meal elsewhere because no one is forcing you to read this thread.

Romantic
11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Final fantasy fans get their panties in a wad so easily it's a joke. Some one could start a thread saying star wars is the worst movie of all time and I wouldn't bat an eye lash. Super fans often get trapped in mundane details, who cares if we haven't played all 11 final fantasy games? If you have played 3 or 4 of them and you know you don't like it what's the point? All of you fan boys can go cry in your oat meal elsewhere because no one is forcing you to read this thread. the sad part about that statement is that it's probably true.

Khanxay
11-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Final fantasy fans get their panties in a wad so easily it's a joke. Some one could start a thread saying star wars is the worst movie of all time and I wouldn't bat an eye lash. Super fans often get trapped in mundane details, who cares if we haven't played all 11 final fantasy games? If you have played 3 or 4 of them and you know you don't like it what's the point? All of you fan boys can go cry in your oat meal elsewhere because no one is forcing you to read this thread.yeah...lets just say theres 11...and less then 5 of them are actually good.

Boo
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
I havent been keeping up,so i dont know.But i did think FF 10/2 was...ummmm....unnessesary.I like FF7 And FF10.But i guess i gotta disagree.I Always liked FF.But im an nerd so i guess no one would understand my point of view.

-Batman-
11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
well for some good news! I got Dragon Quest 8 a few days ago. It seems that the game comes with a demo for FF12. The battle system is...diffrent. It's a combination of Real time (like star ocean) ATB OR CTB!...Hmmm...i know this is a LONG shot, but this one might prove to be promising. Also, a few other things i noticed.

Summons are once again referred to as Espers
Magic is broken up into 4 groups now
White
Black
Time
Green
It seems you can't switch control to other characters, you need to stay as Vaan...or the other girl who's name i forget. Also, monsters Just wander around. You don't touch them and go right into a seperate screen for battle, it seems like you just walk around and the enemies are there. Interesting new change.

I'm kind of looking forward to it now. But i won't buy it right away, it's going to be a rental for me first. I still know nothing of the story.

P.S. My opinion on the other games remain the same.

Kloud_Seven
11-30-2005, 09:18 AM

Wow,people such as yourself never fail to amaze me with their stupidity.If you don't play video games for their storyline,then that might be the big/main reason to why you don't like Final Fantasy.They don't call certain video games rpg's for nothing,rpg's are created to focus on the storyline more than anything else.So either you must not like rpg's or you must be talking out of a hole other than your mouth,you choose.

-Batman-
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Wow,people such as yourself never fail to amaze me with their stupidity.If you don't play video games for their storyline,then that might be the big/main reason to why you don't like Final Fantasy.They don't call certain video games rpg's for nothing,rpg's are created to focus on the storyline more than anything else.So either you must not like rpg's or you must be talking out of a hole other than your mouth,you choose.
Or...Maybe what he's been trying to say is that he finds the FF story lines to be total crap. Put bluntly...thats pretty much what he was getting at.

Kloud_Seven
11-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Or...Maybe what he's been trying to say is that he finds the FF story lines to be total crap. Put bluntly...thats pretty much what he was getting at.
Or if im correct,his first two sentences have absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy,just storylines in video games in general.Next time please have a some what sensible post,so that next time I don't have to waste my time replying to such a moronic reply.

Sword
11-30-2005, 11:39 AM
They are one in the same you fucking idiot.
No they aren't! Jesus.

Regex
11-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Do you even know what over rated means? It means the game gets hype is doesn't deserve, it has nothing to do with the ratings it gets from magazines and websites.That is entirely untrue. Overrated having nothing to do with ratings? In a situation like game reviews, the professional game critics are regarded as the authority on the subject. You may not agree with them, but they are supposed to have the professional experience to make the most objective judgements on video games. And having paid close attention to the game reviews of many games along the years, I can say that the majority of the gaming population does agree with what is said. There are always the outspoken loudmouthed bunches of you who don't agree, just like there are the ouspoken loudmouths who do agree, and that's perfectly natural. Opinions will always differ from person to person. You don't agree with the professional ratings given in this case, and that's not at all surprising, given the other opinions you express.

10 does, and i don't know about 9. However, from what I see in FF7, every character has the ability to play the same as any other character. Limit breaks don't count either,because even though most of them are diffrent in some way, everyone has them.
And i will retract my satement on FF8. I was wrong on that. I forgot about squalls aditional Gunblade damage and Rinoa's dog...so i guess that those are unique abilities.Limit breaks are an important part of the battles in FF7. I know I planned my battles around the limit breaks of the different characters as they came along. It's true that FF7 gave each character the ability to take on whichever role you prefered. It was an interesting twist to the job class system from FF3 and FF5. This doesn't make the gameplay bad, boring or anything else detremental. It made it different. But don't forget that the characters in FF7 all had their own stats which made them ideal for certain roles, and not quite so great for others.

Final fantasy fans get their panties in a wad so easily it's a joke. Some one could start a thread saying star wars is the worst movie of all time and I wouldn't bat an eye lash.There are more Star Wars fanboys in the world who will argue just as fervently about Star Wars as some of these people did about Final Fantasy. You may not get as passionate about it, because you like to insult everyone for thinking differently from you. But the fact is, on the Internet, no matter where you go, there are a lot of people who are younger than you, and have less experience than you, and are differently matured than you. This particular forum, being an anime-base forum, has a lot of people who enjoy themes and characters that are similar to those in anime. Final Fantasy has such themes and characters, so many of the people here are Final Fantasy fans. This is completely normal. And no matter how much you might want to change one or some of these facts, they will continue.

Super fans often get trapped in mundane details, who cares if we haven't played all 11 final fantasy games? If you have played 3 or 4 of them and you know you don't like it what's the point? All of you fan boys can go cry in your oat meal elsewhere because no one is forcing you to read this thread.It's been argued that all the Final Fantasy games are not the same, and that you can't make an opinion on the whole series until you've played them all. Imagine if someone said to you that Star Wars sucked, simply because they only watched Episodes 1 and 2. You'd almost certainly bring up that they can't base their opinion on the series on just those two movies. After all, the best movies of the series were the old ones. Not to mention the Clone Wars miniseries.

Faceless111
11-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Very well spoken Member Name. I completely agree.

Darth Tyranus
11-30-2005, 03:29 PM
No they aren't! Jesus.Sword it's pretty astounding how dumb you are, I hate saying the same thing over and over but you're forcing me to. If you feel a game is of low quality, I will pick a game almost at random how about final fantasy? I hate how shallow the characters in the games are, yet often they are called deep. Since I do not like them I say they are overrated, since I feel they are shallow. Do you understand? I can't dumb it down anymore.

There are more Star Wars fanboys in the world who will argue just as fervently about Star Wars as some of these people did about Final Fantasy. And I like them about as much as I like final fantasy fan boys. Being a fan boy of anything is just plain bad.

This particular forum, being an anime-base forum, has a lot of people who enjoy themes and characters that are similar to those in anime. Final Fantasy has such themes and characters, so many of the people here are Final Fantasy fans. This is completely normal. And no matter how much you might want to change one or some of these facts, they will continue.
So what i should just let it be? I don't think so, I'm to head strong and irritable for that.

It's been argued that all the Final Fantasy games are not the same This is true, however I am attacking the most popular ones. Which happen to be the ones I have played. And I willl agree not all the final fantasy games are bad, I really enjoyed tactics and have high hopes for 4 when it hits the GBA. Oddly enough the most popular ones are by far the worst.

Imagine if someone said to you that Star Wars sucked, simply because they only watched Episodes 1 and 2They would be right to think that, since those movies are awful.

You'd almost certainly bring up that they can't base their opinion on the series on just those two movies. After all, the best movies of the series were the old ones. Not to mention the Clone Wars miniseries If they still said the movies sucked after seeing all of them and gave good reasons I would respect that. I have given good reasons to why final fantasy is highly over rated and I stand by them. Not to mention star wars is a saga and just makes more sense if you see all of them, if you think final fantasy 8 sucks you won't like it any more after playing through 9. Ep 1 and 2 wont become good movies after seeing ep3 but they will make a lot more sense.

But im an nerd so i guess no one would understand my point of view. I'm a gigantic video game fan and I don't like final fantasy, being a nerd doesn't mean you will like the final fantasy games.

Or if im correct,his first two sentences have absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy,just storylines in video games in general You have to put it in context with the thread, the thread is about final fantasy so the chances are good he's talking about final fantasy.

that next time I don't have to waste my time replying to such a moronic reply. Hey hey, I'm the only jerk around here!

-Batman-
11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Or if im correct,his first two sentences have absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy,just storylines in video games in general.Next time please have a some what sensible post,so that next time I don't have to waste my time replying to such a moronic reply.
Well, I hate to break it to you but your not correct. Masali and I speak to each other just about every day. Thats why I know what he ment, because i was talkign to him while he was making the topic. Thats why i know exactly what he ment...Because he told me.
And as Darth said, it's a final fantasy topic, odds are he was talking about Final Fantasy.

Mugetsu
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I started with FF7 and after playing that I actually began to like RPG's.
I thought FF7 was a great game....no, scratch that...FF7 was a great game. Interesting story that changed over time. A few interesting characters. The side missions were ok and the Golden Saucer games were fun for a while. Sure everyone looked like boxes but hey, you win some you lose some.
FF8 is very debatable. Graphics were cool, at the time. Story was not very strong though. Not the best possible follow up.
Skipped FF9.
The best part of FF10 was playing Blitzball. They should have worked on making that it's own game instead of FFX-2.
So basically FF series as a whole is a little overrated but it's still good. I think it should get 7 or 8 out of 10, but most on this forum give it 12 out of 10.
I actually liked Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time a lot better (mostly because of the battle system, not the story).

-Batman-
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
That is entirely untrue. Overrated having nothing to do with ratings? In a situation like game reviews, the professional game critics are regarded as the authority on the subject. You may not agree with them, but they are supposed to have the professional experience to make the most objective judgements on video games. And having paid close attention to the game reviews of many games along the years, I can say that the majority of the gaming population does agree with what is said. There are always the outspoken loudmouthed bunches of you who don't agree, just like there are the ouspoken loudmouths who do agree, and that's perfectly natural. Opinions will always differ from person to person. You don't agree with the professional ratings given in this case, and that's not at all surprising, given the other opinions you express.
Holy crap how did i miss this!

I'll just make this short...

You CAN'T go by what magazines rate games for 2 reasons.

1.Most of the time a review in a magazine/on a website is only one or two peoples opinons.
2. Not every magazine/Website is going to rate the same. Game Informer could rate a game an 8-9, however gamespot might only rate it a 6-7.
Those 2 or 3 points may not seem like much but when your only rating a game on a scale of 0-10, every point matters.

On a personal note, I don't go by reviews. One example why, dragonball games. I like dragonball, so i like dragonball games. Most magazines rate DB games low. Because they rate the games low does that mean i won't at least try the game? no chance. I'm sure i'm not the ONLY person who feels that way.

Khanxay
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Holy crap how did i miss this!

I'll just make this short...

You CAN'T go by what magazines rate games for 2 reasons.

1.Most of the time a review in a magazine/on a website is only one or two peoples opinons.
2. Not every magazine/Website is going to rate the same. Game Informer could rate a game an 8-9, however gamespot might only rate it a 6-7.
Those 2 or 3 points may not seem like much but when your only rating a game on a scale of 0-10, every point matters.

On a personal note, I don't go by reviews. One example why, dragonball games. I like dragonball, so i like dragonball games. Most magazines rate DB games low. Because they rate the games low does that mean i won't at least try the game? no chance. I'm sure i'm not the ONLY person who feels that way.i agree with this. in fact, i dont go by those ratings. especially ones usings the 1-5 scale. But i do go by some of the opinions. i just do pay attention to the numbers.

Masali
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
wow...I missed alot. I'll say this once and only once: When you tend to think a game is overrated it would be in your nature to like the game. you don't think it's overrated and you like it we think it is and we dislike it, you can't change our opinions and we can't change yours. No matter how much you argue, flame, and make a total fool of yourself nothing you can say would make us say: Wow! FFs' bad plots, boring gameplay and clunky controls really WERE fun!" We don't like the games, you do. I intended to make this thread for the people who think it's overrated not the fans who see this thread and think "ZOMG! SOMEONE DOEZN'T AGREE WIT ME!?!?!?!?!?". and yes, Member name, I exhagerate my opinions it gets the point across a little better and makes it less boring to read however, if you take them literally then you're a complete and total idiot.

Opinionated
11-30-2005, 05:33 PM
People, just about all popular games are overrated. They have problems that the devoted phan phreaks just don't understand. Then the fans get all pissed off because of it.

_Sesshomaru_
11-30-2005, 05:37 PM
FF is awsome

Darth Tyranus
11-30-2005, 08:46 PM
People, just about all popular games are overrated. They have problems that the devoted phan phreaks just don't understand. Then the fans get all pissed off because of it.Not really, some games deserve every bit of their fame. Pac-man and co. are good examples of this.

Opinionated
11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
FF is awsome
This is why we can't have an intelligent discussion about FF. cuz one phan phreak will say that and all the other will say that and burn anyone who disagrees with them to hell. and darth I didn't mean every famous game franchise.

Darth Tyranus
11-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Be that as it may I figured I would point that out anyway.

nick222
11-30-2005, 09:21 PM
totally lame

-Batman-
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
totally lame
This contributes how?

enigma unit 01
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I have come to the conclusion you are a total idiot, you're in a thread that is about how over rated final fantasy is. Yet you can't grasp why people are complaing about it. Just shut up play some more over rated un original and over hyped final fantasy and watch the piece of tripe show known as evangleion.
I have come to the conclusion that you are a total fag. Final Fantasy is very original, with each game trying a different, unique storyline. Overrated and hating something arent the same, overrated means, regarding your own opinion, it isnt as good as it is made out to be. For example, some people may say that San Andreas, while being a great game, got scored too high, it wasn't the best thing ever. Idiots like you wouldnt understand what original is, not liking final fantasy because it is 'too slow', a good game is a good game, if you dont like the genre because of bad experiences with it, you shouldnt put it down, dont be stupid, give it a chance. And as for evangelion, don't even start me!

-Batman-
12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I have come to the conclusion that you are a total fag. Final Fantasy is very original, with each game trying a different, unique storyline. Overrated and hating something arent the same, overrated means, regarding your own opinion, it isnt as good as it is made out to be. For example, some people may say that San Andreas, while being a great game, got scored too high, it wasn't the best thing ever. Idiots like you wouldnt understand what original is, not liking final fantasy because it is 'too slow', a good game is a good game, if you dont like the genre because of bad experiences with it, you shouldnt put it down, dont be stupid, give it a chance. And as for evangelion, don't even start me!
You just said "you shouldn't put it down" and "give it a chance". But what are you doing right now? Attempting to put him down. And are you giving him a chance? no, of course not. Your basing your opinion off of what you see on a forum.
He's doing the same thing with Final Fantasy, basing his opinion on what he see's from it.

Sword
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Umm...Darth has had lot's of chances...This is totally different and you know it.

uo-chan
12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow,people such as yourself never fail to amaze me with their stupidity.If you don't play video games for their storyline,then that might be the big/main reason to why you don't like Final Fantasy.They don't call certain video games rpg's for nothing,rpg's are created to focus on the storyline more than anything else.So either you must not like rpg's or you must be talking out of a hole other than your mouth,you choose. i agree with you http://animegalleries.net/bbs/images/smilies/smile.gif FF6 to 10 were great!

-Batman-
12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Umm...Darth has had lot's of chances...This is totally different and you know it.
No, it really isn't.

Regex
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
So what i should just let it be? I don't think so, I'm to head strong and irritable for that.That's interesting, because there's another group mentioned in this thread that's also headstrong and irritable. They jump at every opportunity to defend what they believe in, no matter how stupid they sound for repeating themselves, no matter how little is accomplished by it, just like you do. This group would be none other than your hated fanboys.

This is true, however I am attacking the most popular ones. Which happen to be the ones I have played. And I willl agree not all the final fantasy games are bad, I really enjoyed tactics and have high hopes for 4 when it hits the GBA. Oddly enough the most popular ones are by far the worst.Incedentally, the reason the ones you have played are the most popular is because the fanboys got into the series around the same time. When the Playstation started to get big. Both you and the fanboys are making some pretty strong opinions, without even getting near the best parts.

They would be right to think that, since those movies are awful.
If they still said the movies sucked after seeing all of them and gave good reasons I would respect that. I have given good reasons to why final fantasy is highly over rated and I stand by them. Not to mention star wars is a saga and just makes more sense if you see all of them, if you think final fantasy 8 sucks you won't like it any more after playing through 9. Ep 1 and 2 wont become good movies after seeing ep3 but they will make a lot more sense.While I don't disagree that Final Fantasy is getting more hype than it deserves, you continue to make blanket statements about the series, as if it's all bad because of the small part of the series that you've played. Playing the others would bring the average up, theoretically. That is, assuming that you played it with the attitude of playing a game, rather than the attitude of trying it just to see why people are saying it's so good.
Granted, more of your recent posts have clarified that you don't treat all of the games exactly that way, and I do appreciate that much. And I will agree with you that in the recent games in the series, it's been getting increasingly worse.

Khanxay
12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
has anyone tried the gamecube final fantasy? What would any of you say about that game?

-Batman-
12-01-2005, 02:34 PM
has anyone tried the gamecube final fantasy? What would any of you say about that game?
To be honest I thought the concept was good, but they just went about it the wrong way. I'm just going to leave crystal cronicals alone for a bit.

Darth Tyranus
12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Overrated and hating something arent the same, overrated means, regarding your own opinion, it isnt as good as it is made out to be.
Did anyone else catch this?

overrated means, regarding your own opinion
Well there it sits out in the open, so in my opinion I hate the franchise and this is why I find it over rated. So yes dingle berry they can be the same thing. Nothing is better than when people who disagree prove me right.

Regex
12-01-2005, 03:10 PM

Well there it sits out in the open, so in my opinion I hate the franchise and this is why I find it over rated. So yes dingle berry they can be the same thing. Nothing is better than when people who disagree prove me right.Ah, but it wouldn't be much of a discussion if all we did was state our opinion. The point is to discuss what parts some people think are good, or some people think are bad.

Or in some cases, when some people are just plain wrong.

Sword
12-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Well there it sits out in the open, so in my opinion I hate the franchise and this is why I find it over rated. So yes dingle berry they can be the same thing. Nothing is better than when people who disagree prove me right.
Christ man. Overrated is when you think something is regarded as being better than it really is. But you can still like it at the same time. Take Love Hina for example. I love it but I think it is overrated. And then there is hating something. Take you for example. You're a complete @$$, but you're not overrated. So if you have no further aruments. Then shut the hell up.

Regex
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
But you can still like it at the same time. That's been said and accepted on the first page.

Opinionated
12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Mods: CLOSE THIS TREAD. We have left original discussion behind and are now repeating ourselves and arguing over techinicalities. I will leave it at that.

Sword
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
That's true...sorry

Darth Tyranus
12-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Christ man. Overrated is when you think something is regarded as being better than it really is. But you can still like it at the same time. Take Love Hina for example. I love it but I think it is overrated. And then there is hating something. Take you for example. You're a complete @$$, but you're not overrated. So if you have no further aruments. Then shut the hell up.So you're saying I can't hate it and think it's overrated at the same time? You don't have to like something to think it's overrated. It's liking talking to a to 2 year old.

Ah, but it wouldn't be much of a discussion if all we did was state our opinion. The point is to discuss what parts some people think are good, or some people think are bad. I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is you can hate something and think it's over rated. But some of the fan boys are to god damn stupid to get that through their thick effeminate men loving skulls. I'm willing to bet sword touches himself while looking at pics of cloud.

Sword
12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
So you're saying I can't hate it and think it's overrated at the same time? You don't have to like something to think it's overrated. It's liking talking to a to 2 year old.
I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is you can hate something and think it's over rated. But some of the fan boys are to god damn stupid to get that through their thick effeminate men loving skulls. I'm willing to bet sword touches himself while looking at pics of cloud.
*Put's hand over face* Look I didn't say that you cant hate something AND think it's overrated, I was proving that you can like something and think it's overrated. I hate Star Trek and I think IT is overrated.
And that remark about Cloud. That's just low.

Opinionated
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Well sometimes it takes a low blow to get the message across. And leave the flaming to a smolder, that's not doing any good.

Darth Tyranus
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
And for the record right now you just said I was right.

Look I didn't say that you cant hate something AND think it's overrated
Yeah actually you did, that's the whole point. And this really does just prove you were wrong the whole freakin time.

Romantic
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
*Put's hand over face* Look I didn't say that you cant hate something AND think it's overrated, I was proving that you can like something and think it's overrated. I hate Star Trek and I think IT is overrated.
And that remark about Cloud. That's just low. I dunno, I thought that comment about Cloud was pretty funny, lol. *chuckles*

Darth Tyranus
12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Umm...Darth has had lot's of chances...This is totally different and you know it.I missed this post before, this is my first brush with the moron who called me a fag (very insulting by the way, makes my cry on the inside). It's unimportant though since I could care less what he thinks of me and my views.

Kyo Kusanagi
12-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah, this topic was borderline from the get go. Looks like the points have been made and its just flaming now. Closed.