PDA

View Full Version : Avian Bird Flu virus pandemic

zodiak
11-18-2005, 09:48 PM
okay, right now, im crapping my pants, im freaked out by this virus, because they say its going to kill millions. i don't want to die, i want to die when im 90.

Katrina_Survivor2
11-18-2005, 10:11 PM
OK, may I first say that the avian flu is by no means small talk. It could develope into a bad problem and should be taken seriously.

That being said, the media is trying to freak us out. What we need right now isn't a bunch of journalists sitting around talking about what could a could not happen, but people actualy working on how to solve this problem.

By the way, what country do you live in? I'm talking about in the US. If your somewhere in the east near the deaths, then it may be different. But I stand by my opinion, no matter the country.

"It could be 5, but it'll probably be closer to 150 million," lol, you know, like they're trying to freak us out lol.

KiriKat
11-19-2005, 12:30 AM
i had a discussion about this at my history class i heard that you'll only get the flu if you ate the bird that had that flu virus or if were living near the area where it's quaratined with that flu virus...i think it's somewhere in Asia...though if i speak wrong forgive me, remember this just what i've heard:D

zodiak
11-19-2005, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=Katrina_Survivor2-By the way, what country do you live in? I'm talking about in the US. If your somewhere in the east near the deaths, then it may be different. But I stand by my opinion, no matter the country.

america, just scared by the facts that have been stated in the media

akiko_kalla
11-19-2005, 02:49 AM
A couple of things; first, the media can be and often is wrong. Just look at the weather. :p Seriously, they report false information all the time, sometimes it is intentional and sometimes not. I don't put much faith in anything they say. They are looking for a story and reporting on the deaths of many chickens is not enthralling. I'm not saying they're lying about the threat but they will embellish to make it sound like more of a story than it really is.

Second, the CDC and WHO will do everything they can to contain an outbreak. If you look at other outbreaks, like those of Ebola, organizations around the world get involved to take care of it. It also is usually NOT reported at the time, is dealt with in secrecy and is found out later. Point being, if it was really that bad--not that it's not bad for those who catch it--the media wouldn't have this much information on it. Nor would they have the freedom to broadcast it as such.

Lastly, say the virus were to jump from bird to human, mutate and an outbreak occurred. National Security would prevent the media from going on and on about it. It would be kept confidential and the most we would get is advisories on not eating chicken or an increase in the prices or out and out denial of the virus's existance. They are allowing the media to produce the information that we are seeing for a reason. It keeps our minds elsewhere while they deal with something that needs immediate attention. Things like this are never new. This has been around a long time, we've just not known about it. I'm sure it's been and continues to be studied and there are plans in place in case such an event were to occur in this country.

I'm not trying to say there isn't cause for concern because there is reason. However, don't loose sleep over it. As scary and horrible as it is to say, if a terrible outbreak occurs, you'd be more likely to hear of a sudden drop in asia's population than to have infected chicken cross the country's borders. Besides, loosing sleep will only weaken your immune system and then you'll probably catch a common, but annoyingly miserable, cold. ^_~

Darklord
11-19-2005, 09:21 AM
*cracks up like the concrete floors*......There is no reason to be afraid of the 'bird flu'...I live in the 'east' and I definitly eat 1 chicken per day and not a single person had died in this country yet.....The papers are bull....

MistressPookyChan
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
This reminds me of the last time I was in Japan, when I was a student. It was during the whole SARS thing. When my friends and I got sick we would say that we came down with SARS. Now, we tell each other we have Bird Flu. Yes, I know it is no laughing matter, but there isn't much we can do about it except be safe and aware (and don't eat chicken... or travel to SE Asia...).

Loljoke
11-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Not many have died from it yet, but if it develops it might be a serious problem.
I ate chicken as late as yesterday, and I'm still not dead :)

I haven't heard much about it lately, but the latest news around here was that it reached England and Germany I believe :(

«†~Äthäñös~†»
11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Well if you really think your going to die better start doing a bunch of crap you havnt dun yet ... Thats my only advice to you...
Oh yea if i were to die id go out ya thats my way ta go...

In no way is swearing allowed on the forums. Even if you take out a letter or just hint at what you mean, it's not allowed.

Have a nice day XD

zodiak
11-19-2005, 03:23 PM
well, i don't know if this is true, but i have heard it from the news and there is no need to be scared of eating poltry, because when you cook it the virus is killed from the heat.

Capernicus
11-19-2005, 03:32 PM
akiko kalla, that is just WAY too much info to quote, so I will just say that I wholeheartedly agree. I was afraid this thread wouldn't get any attention b/c there are a lot of young users here, but I'm glad to see I needn't have been so worried. ^_^ The news is over-dramatizing things, there haven't been ANY reported deaths here, there are vaccines ready for it (although I heard a no doubt hyped up story in the news that the vaccines don't work -_- such lies), and if it were a real problem, the government would have kept it quiet. So no worries here. ^_^

The Rebel
11-19-2005, 03:46 PM
You shouldn't worry too much about it. After all, the US has it's own problems. We have the killer bees after all, making their way further north each year. But I'm sure we could make room for a killer flu virus too. GEEZ People! Face facts, this stuff is horrible,,,,, but it HAS to happen. We pay no thought to our planet, environment, or furture. We over-populate, waste resources, and continue to demand more of our dying planet. If we aren't going to bother controlling ourselves, then some other force has to. And it's most likely our own actions that have indirectly brought this about anyways. Environment can cause mutation in viruses, especially when that environment is poluted with all sorts of chemicals,,,,,, chemicals WE make.

Eris
11-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Let's face it: We're all going to die. Some day. There is nothing you can do about that. Why spend life worrying about the inevitable, instead of just living it?

Environment can cause mutation in viruses, especially when that environment is poluted with all sorts of chemicals,,,,,, chemicals WE make.

You make a good point, but mutating is sort of the viruses' raison d'etre. Besides, the avian flu isn't something new, it's basically the same thing as the Spanish flu back in 1918.

forgotten Duo
11-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Let's face it: We're all going to die. Some day. There is nothing you can do about that. Why spend life worrying about the inevitable, instead of just living it?
There are good ways to die, and bad ways to die. I don't worry about dying at all, I wonder about how I'm going to do it ... AIDS, cancer, old age. But back to the topic.

The bird flu will kill people. It already has. It is my not so humble opinion that officals are talking to much and doing to little. The public isn't taking it serious;y enough either, just like AIDS or any other number of diseases. It isn't real until it happens to you.

Capernicus
11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
It's hard to know what is serious and what is hype anymore. Stupid media!

Eris
11-19-2005, 05:25 PM
The bird flu will kill people. It already has. It is my not so humble opinion that officals are talking to much and doing to little. The public isn't taking it serious;y enough either, just like AIDS or any other number of diseases. It isn't real until it happens to you.

What do you suggest they do?

Vaccines are already being researched. Birds are being killed. What more can you do?

It's hard to know what is serious and what is hype anymore. Stupid media!

A situation reminiscent of the boy who cried wolf.

forgotten Duo
11-19-2005, 05:32 PM
You can decide just what you are going to do if it reaches this country. What do you do with "contaminated" people. Where do you go to get a vaccine, when and if they have one. Details need to be hammered out. And I know somebody is supposed to be doing this now ... they have been for months. I know setting all of this stuff up isn't easy, but something should be figured out by now. As far as I understand, nothing has been. And the way things are going nothing will be done until it starts rearing it's ugle head over here.

Eris
11-19-2005, 05:41 PM
You can decide just what you are going to do if it reaches this country. What do you do with "contaminated" people. Where do you go to get a vaccine, when and if they have one. Details need to be hammered out. And I know somebody is supposed to be doing this now ... they have been for months. I know setting all of this stuff up isn't easy, but something should be figured out by now. As far as I understand, nothing has been. And the way things are going nothing will be done until it starts rearing it's ugle head over here.

I'm certain the approperiate authorities have plans for this, even if they don't divulge them to the general public. (Why would they?)

Chaos Master Dark
11-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Even if this Chicken thing becomes a "Modern Day Bubonic Plague"(which i dought) Medicine and the human amune system has evoled since the Midevil times.
Its Mad Chicken Desiese.

akiko_kalla
11-19-2005, 10:56 PM
The government here, and I hardly think the US is the only one to do this, has a plan for almost every feasible war type situation possible. What makes you so certain they haven't worked on a plan for this. It isn't the first time this country would be dealing with an outbreak if it were to happen. Actually, I think it is more likely there is a tactical plan already in place and they are watching to see what the virus does and if it starts to go in one direction it will be snuffed out quite quickly. (And probably many lives with it)

I agree with Capernicus, that much of what humanity does creates stresses on the world and thus those actions have consequences, but as Dieselmannen said, mutation is what a virus does. Even if there were no humans and the world was in perfect harmony, it would still mutate. For that reason, it's quite feasible that this virus is not unknown and unstudied. In fact, it was probably being studied before the first reports of it were ever broadcast. Besides, the government would never tell you its plans and what precautions it has taken. It never has and it never will, all in the name of national security. It doesn't discuss the possibilities of the virus and its solutions so you can go on about your life and not worry too much. If there was reason to worry, there would be a censorship ban like no other on the media regarding this to prevent panic. The government has let the media pull people's thoughts in all different directions on purpose. Just because they don't tell you what they're doing, doesn't mean they aren't paying attention.

Kurumirina
11-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm from Asia and not even one person around me is dead from this so called bird flu.....everybody is still eating chicken and still no person is dead....the government is just scaring our pantz out....everybody is very aware of this matter but we can't do nothing bout this matter but to pray for the best.....I know a lot of ppl thinkz that the government isn`t doing anything but that is what u think....even if they aren`t doing anything WHAT can u do but to hope they will make a vaccine out of this flue......on the other hand maybe the government is doing something but maybe this flue is like AIDS and has no cure......even if somebody dies....we just have to accept the fact that it is fate......cause live goes on....

Capernicus
11-20-2005, 01:19 AM
How odd. You managed to spell Bubonic Plague right, but not doubt or immune. But I think you mispelled evolved on accident. Anyway, the Bird Flu is unlikely to become a serious problem. And even if it did, your body needs germs to pratice on, otherwise it gets lazy, so a little virus is good for you. You know, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all that crap. ^_^ Like if I drop my pizza on the floor, guess what people, I PICK IT UP AND EAT IT!!! That is why I never get sick. lol

demonplight
11-20-2005, 01:52 AM
lets make this simple.
1. the virus is in asia.
2. the oods are you will die in a car first.
3. dont sleep near you pet chickes.
4. we will all die any way.
5. oh come on its not the end of the world.

Darklord
11-20-2005, 08:53 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! You guys are so hillarious!!!! ok now me:

-I live in "ASIA!".
-I EAT 1 CHICKEN every day.
-This country is extremely DIRTY and I dont think the word FDA exists here
-NOT a SINGLE person has died YET.

and by me....Sometimes you guys make me laugh so hard that I might get brain hammerage....But trust me, if the bird flu does become dangerous. It will probably infect me first and I will tell you guys to watch out...Ok? There isnt basically any real reason to be afraid of it yet.

飛竜
11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Indeed, I agree on everyone's opinion. Well for me is.... I heard some of those news about Bird Flu virus can be so trouble, since my mother warned me about this virus can possibly killed people. That is all I would remember to tell.

NOTE: Don't eat any bird foods like chicken, turkey, duck, and others... It would harm your condition. That is my advice to warn everyone.

YourShadow
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
how come so many illnesses come from asia?

zodiak
11-20-2005, 10:02 PM
well the avian bird flu virus was created from a coomon cold from average chickens being cramped up toghether, but that cold mutated into the virus, sars i don't know.

YourShadow
11-20-2005, 10:09 PM
yes but the black plague I was thinking of..
the problem now is that the world is a small place now
we seem to make it so simple to spread these illnesses.

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 12:23 AM
not to worried bout this. everytime something like this shows up, tons of people from all over work to find a vaccine and all is good once more.
i'm optimistic ^^

Mariya Shidō
11-21-2005, 12:44 AM
how come so many illnesses come from asia?
Simply,

1) Because they eat anything that has 4 or more legs (there was a proverb like: "If god gave it legs to run, eat it). Like SARS was a result of people eating zibets, who are btw. a protected species. Once they stop eating anything that has legs to run and once they forget about their traditional medicine (like who seriously would want powdered tiger dickies as medicine) theyll eventually get into contact with way less microbes.
2) Because of hygienic matters (i.e. pig, chicken and farmer living in the same rooms).
3) Because tropical weather in southern asia is favorable for all sorts of vermin.

Though, considering how many people die of flu yearly, the avian flu thingie seems a bit overrated.

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
i bet we would never of known about it if it wasnt a threat to other countries. things that involve over arears seem to be skiped over by the media alot.
still, seems over-rated, there was mad cow desise, sars, now some bird flu thing. and i bet there'll be another after this one to. just gotta expect it

Capernicus
11-21-2005, 12:50 AM
i bet we would never of known about it if it wasnt a threat to other countries. things that involve over arears seem to be skiped over by the media alot.
I totally agree. Americans are so shallow. -_-

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 12:55 AM
lol, its not americans, its the media. happens in australia too.
i think it'd be fun to guess what the next thing like this will be named :p lol

theres a warning system for bird flu being made or something. they trace flight paths of birds to show high risk areas

Capernicus
11-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Really? I thought it was just us. Now I don't feel so bad. ^_^ So flight paterns, huh? Boring work. No wonder stuff like this happens, and no one cares. I don't even really care. lol

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 01:02 AM
lol. if it ever shows up anywhere hear i still cant see people worrying ^^;
but it could bout a damper on christmas O_o

with any luck there'll be vaccines for everyone soon

Capernicus
11-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Meh, it won't affect my Christmas. And I hear there are vaccines, but they are having problems distributing them properly. Bunch of idiots if you ask me.

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 01:10 AM
i think the problem is if the virus mutates a new vaccine is needed. right now there is one, but not enough of it

bakakame
11-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Well, my advice would be, increase you intake of B vitamins to boost your immune system.

Other than that, don't be a wuss about it. People die from Influenza B and C as well. But, you know the media... "if it bleeds, it leads."

Capernicus
11-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Isn't it Vitamen C that boosts immune? Bah, just "Drink a glass of
Florida Orange Juice everyday." *smiles for a creepy amount of time*

Wolfwood
11-21-2005, 01:26 AM
if ya really worried, dont eat chicken or turkey or any bird for awhile.
all this stuff about millions dieing is just whats predicted as the worst thing that can happen.
mostly it'd be people in 3rd world countries i think as its almost impossible to stop things spreading there O_o. industrial ones should have it under control if it ever arrives in australia, america, etc.

animeseishi
11-21-2005, 03:03 AM
bird flu? i dont know anything about that... but yes.. vit c would be good for you...just dont go near too juch birds...

Eris
11-21-2005, 07:06 AM
well the avian bird flu virus was created from a coomon cold from average chickens being cramped up toghether, but that cold mutated into the virus, sars i don't know.

Uh, no. The common cold is not an influenza virus. H5N1 is. They may some symptoms in common, but that's about it.

Darklord
11-21-2005, 10:10 AM
super moderator Figo....That was so harsh! That is so not correct! I do not eat ANYTHING with more than 3 legs......Your seriously insulting me.......and.......

THERE IS NO SUCH THING OR THREAT AS BIRD FLU.(DOT).

Katrina_Survivor2
11-21-2005, 06:49 PM
super moderator Figo....That was so harsh! That is so not correct! I do not eat ANYTHING with more than 3 legs......Your seriously insulting me.......and.......

THERE IS NO SUCH THING OR THREAT AS BIRD FLU.(DOT).
OK, I'm not siding with the conservitive based scare factor media, but the Avian Flu does exist and could be a threat. Note that I said could be.

I think that blowing it out of proportion isn't going to help things, but pretending that it doesn't exist and to completely disregard it(as u r doing) could leave us completely vunerable should the Avian flu become a real threat. We have to find a way to stop it without trying to scare the world shitless.

-_-Tan-_-
11-21-2005, 06:54 PM
the flus not close to me! ^^

zodiak
11-21-2005, 08:08 PM
I totally agree. Americans are so shallow. -_-

dude what do you know about americans, i'm one and im not shallow, you should think before you post.

Katrina_Survivor2
11-21-2005, 09:19 PM
dude what do you know about americans, i'm one and im not shallow, you should think before you post.
Exactly. I happen to think that many Americans are indeed shallow. But that isn't cause they were born in the U.S., it's purely because they're morons. Two completely different things.

Mahou_Senshi_Mariko
11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
I heard of this. I'm a chicken lover and I'm not dead yet. I can just switch to pork or be a vegitarian from chicken for a while until a vaccine is made. I think they are lying. If there is the bird flu, they might do the same process on how they check for Mad Cow diease.

Kewii
11-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Let's knock off the nation bashing, please and thank you. That's not the topic of discussion.

YourShadow
11-22-2005, 09:12 AM
yes please. no need to go there.

basiclly the world is a small place now.
I heard this morning that a man from Britain brought mad cow over here (usa)

Mariya Shidō
11-22-2005, 11:11 AM

THERE IS NO SUCH THING OR THREAT AS BIRD FLU.(DOT).You maybe not , otherwise , exotic animals are a welcome food in china, as it is in africa or other spots of the world, though, the other spots in the world seldomly were spots were pandemies started, like the spanish flu, which originated in hong kong as well as many other influenza epidemies or the black death (aka plague or mortalegra grande) in 1348. I propably forgot to mention the higher population density which helps spreading infections. In Africa there are natural barriers usually preventing certain infections from travelling too far, planes are a problem there. For a virus and their high mutating/evolving rate, its piece of cake to adopt to human cells, as long as there is a steady contact with humans. I would not underestimate the threat, though it seems overrated, the avian flu virus is more aggressive, if it ever should mutate it would pose quite a threat. Several governments worldwide didnt stock up Tamiflu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiflu) for no reason.

PS: If i hurt anyone i apologize , i like to generalize ;p but 50% of what i say is not meant as harsh as it sounds.
PSS: Maybe if Mina checked up this thread she could give you a rant on viruses, mutation and adaption. Then again, that propably would fill quite some pages.