Uchiha Ulquiorra
11-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Rurouni Kenshin

Production: Anime Works
Published: 1996-1998
Episodes: 95
Genre:Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Romance, Samurai

Synopsis

Kenshin Himura is a wandering samurai with a dark past... for he is also the man known as Battousai the Manslayer. Having annihilated countless people, his sword skills are second to none. His name alone is enough to strike fear into the hearts of citizens who've heard of his legendary abilities. But Kenshin is determined never to kill again, and he now uses his sword to protect people instead. As he roams Japan, he comes across the passionate Kendo instructor Kaoru Kamiya. Kaoru is immediately attracted to the wanderer, and Kenshin decides to stay for a bit to help Kaoru rebuild her father's dojo. But there are still elements beyond his control that threaten to pull him back to his blood-stained past. Can Kenshin truly leave it all behind for a peaceful and normal life?

Story: 9/10

Kenshin up until the end of the Kyoto Arc was superb. It had great character development, great action, great subplots, and it would have received a perfect 10 if I could only review that part; however, Kenshin begins to decline after that arc. The plot becomes a bit more obscure and in the end they bring the series from a superior anime to a weird far out thing with geomancers and divine medicine and lots of religion. The characters are still great and the plot is still interesting but it is just not as good as it could have been.

Characters: 10/10

The characters are what really define this series. They are all very dynamic and very unique. I liked the way that the anime would let you to see things from each character's viewpoint as they Went through the series instead of only the main character. Even the villains were not "Really" villains because the most of them were not evil. They simply had their own philosophies and their motives for their actions which happened to disagree with Kenshin's or the Meiji government's and so they were destined to fight. Of course Kenshin never wants to fight but he is sworn to protect the innocent who his enemies always go after. Also there is alot of emotion expressed in this anime as Kenshin reverts to the hitokiri or tries to carry the burden of responsibility all by himself. At times you can see the pain and the sadness that Kenshin has for his past and if you watch the series carefully you'll really understand the depth of that pain which makes Kenshin a deeper character and helps his philosophies have more meaning.

Art/Animation: 7.5/10

The animation is pretty basic. It is very pretty but not necessarily the best. It is mixed into the anime very well and serves its purpose in supporting the plot and the characters. The only problem is that near the end you can see that the team was getting tired of their jobs (95 eps is alot) and the animation begins to decline there. Still, it has good enough animation to keep you interested in it throughout the series

Music: 8.5/10

The music in this series is really good. All of the different opening and closing songs are all very good and the music can stand by itself because of its good quality. Also the songs in the series are very good. Each one wen with the Character it was made for and situation they were in heightening the emotion of each sequence. I have heard better anime music out there and Rurouni Kenshin's deseves to be on the top with the best of them.

Overall: 8.5/10
I do have to take off points for the not so perfect ending but nonetheless this series is a true classic. If you watch the series in its entirety you will gain a glimpse of what a truly groundbreaking anime can be. Although the animation is pretty standard the story is so well done that it will have you coming back for more and hooked until you want to know every single thing about Kenshin and feudal Japan. This anime explores morality and at times can get pretty deep into politics and all of that stuff but it all blends in very well to the anime as a whole. This is really a "True" classic series.

Kittylover9399
04-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Story: 10/10
I remember when I first saw this show I liked it in two seconds! I always watched it! It had a great idea behind it and it was nice, may be harsh but it was still great. I liked the story, that Kenshin was a man slayer and people came to hunt and kill him. Even though he hah changed over the years to a nice and stupid man he still has a few of his harsh moments when he is in a real sword battle. :)

Characters: 10/10

The characters we thought up very well! They are all very cool and amazing! Especially Kenshin! A Nice good hearted man in both the inside and outside. But he is very harsh and very up topic in battle. Especially how he had changed over all of the years. From blood to being an idiot.

Art/Animation: 9/10

The animation and art looks pretty hard to draw, even more in the manga, something I would never be able to possibly draw ever in my life unless I practiced that stype every day. The put in the shading and itsy bitsy things in there. Pretty cool! But there was one thing I did actually dislike! It was when the hair came to the eyes. In the show when the hair was over the eyes you would still see the eyes only it was the lines of the eyes as the same other of the hair.

Music: 8/10

The music was nice. I liked it a lot, but I haven't seen the show for a few months since they took it off Cartoon Network which got me pissed but I can't say much about it, but I do remember that it was pretty good.

Overall: 9.5/10

It was a well thought up idea and was a pretty cool show! Even thought the hair and the eyes thing wasn't really going on my happy side. But I did hear from my friend that the ending sucks so that brings on my down side. And it's quite sad what happens to Kenshin in the sequel, that one has his son in it but the art doesn't look to good! It's different artists! I heard that the ending is pretty good there but Kenshin he-he- arg! It's two sad to say what happens. But yea.