do you think this is true why or why not
I would have to say this is true because I go by that saying in my own way

«†~Äthäñös~†»
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Yep very true dude, I go by it to...

Have a nice day XD

LadyPSerenity
11-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm going to say that if the posts continue on like these two this topic will end up locked.

Kloud_Seven
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
No.

LPS Edit:....And it's like people don't read what I'm typing.

This is SPAM. This will get you a warning. DO NOT REPEAT THIS.

Anime is poison
11-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Ok, before this thread gets closed because of spam, I will reply because I feel it is a very good thread.

Yes I think that statement holds true. When you are given power, even the smallest bit, it is up to you to use it wisely. As you get more and more power, you get more and more responsibility, since you will be expecte to be able to handle more. Take being president. That is as much power as you can ever hope to gain in this country, and it may not look like it(or show very much) but there is a lot of responsibility needed to run this country, and its not easy I assume(or hope). So yes, that statement definetly holds true. Uncle Ben knew what he was talking about.

akiko_kalla
11-12-2005, 04:25 AM
I also find that quote to be true. It's just like when you were a child and you were allowed to stay up an extra hour before bed, but then you were tired the next day. Well, with freedom and power come consequences. Once you take control of your actions, the consequences will be your responsibility whether you like it or not. I see this as being where people often go wrong. They forget, often selectively, that if they take control (power) over their own life that the consequences will just keep piling up until you suffocate from their weight. People think they can get away with not being responsible, but that's really not the case. Say you get a credit card and max it. Now you can't use it so you go on to the next one and don't pay those bills. Eventually you won't have a line of credit to abuse until you take the responsibility and fix the situation. It works in a positive way as well, but I don't often see people taking too much responsibility, sadly. Which makes you wander exactly what is the youth learning from the adults.

I don't know that I really see a job like the president's as difficult. I'm not saying I particularly want that job, but I think being a parent would be far more difficult than being the figurehead of a country's government. But then again, it just depends on the person I suppose...

TMcMahon51
11-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I agree with Anime is Poison, because when you are given power, you arn't just responsible for yourself anymore, you're responsible for what you might be able to do, and who or what you might be able to do that to. Like that president, with his power, he could make choises that may strengthen the economy, and create jobs, or he could cripple the economy and more jobs could be lost than gained. In any opinion, I'd have to say that some people don't deserve the right to bear the power of choice, even of their own, while others, have earned it.

True power cannot be gained, but it may be earned.

Eris
11-12-2005, 01:11 PM
True power cannot be gained, but it may be earned.

So, when you obtain power through more unsavory means, you've earned it?

katrina_survivor
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, this is true to me. But it really depends on the kind of person you are.

No one is standing over your shoulder saying, "Give that money to the Red Cross," or, "Use your presidential power to stop the war in Iraq(hint hint)," but many people have an obligation to themselves. It makes us feel good to use power for good, and by not doing it we have broken the obligation.

But, for people who have not made that sort of obligation, they couldn't care less.

akiko_kalla
11-12-2005, 01:37 PM
I think we also have an obligation to the world. We are all part of it. It's like the spider web, each strand is capable of holding the spider up and continuing out its function alone. However, nothing is so simple as that. If you tug on that one seemingly alone strand, the whole web unravels. The same way with the world's society. What happens to one person has far greater effects than just that one person's life. As scary as that may sound, it also means that by helping one life you are helping far more than one. We like to think we are independant, but in reality we are all connected. When you abuse power you are hurting more than yourself. And nothing absolves you of that responsibility.

katrina_survivor
11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I think we also have an obligation to the world. We are all part of it. It's like the spider web, each strand is capable of holding the spider up and continuing out its function alone. However, nothing is so simple as that. If you tug on that one seemingly alone strand, the whole web unravels. The same way with the world's society. What happens to one person has far greater effects than just that one person's life. As scary as that may sound, it also means that by helping one life you are helping far more than one. We like to think we are independant, but in reality we are all connected. When you abuse power you are hurting more than yourself. And nothing absolves you of that responsibility.
I'm not saying that you are the only one affected, I'm just saying that some people don't care how many people are affected.

Interesting thoughts, though.

akiko_kalla
11-12-2005, 02:28 PM
katrina_survivor, I'm sorry if you felt I was replying to your statement. I was just continuing along the same lines, not trying to aruge with what you said. If I was replying to you I would have quoted or used your name. I agree, there are many who do try to shirk their responsibility, but since we are all connected, it will come back to haunt them.

Eris
11-12-2005, 02:55 PM

I have to disagree; if society is that frail, it is your responsibility to unwind it and rebuild a better, stronger one.

forgotten Duo
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I would agree that the quote does indeed speak the truth. However, far to often those in power do not take responsibility for their actions. It's easier to push it all off onto somebody else.

akiko_kalla
11-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I have to disagree; if society is that frail, it is your responsibility to unwind it and rebuild a better, stronger one.
I AM saying it is your responsibility; nothing absolves you from your responsibility as a part of this world. Society is not frail, people are and it is people who shirk their responsibility from society. If something is wrong, yes change it. I never said anything to the contrary. My comment was strictly in regards to our responsibility to each other. Naturally that includes if something needs to be repaired, you fix it. Just like in class, if there is trash on the floor don't wait for someone else to pick it up. It's just as much your responsibility as someone else's. You are part of this world and that gives you the power of life. How you live it is your responsibility.

Eris
11-13-2005, 06:37 AM
I AM saying it is your responsibility; nothing absolves you from your responsibility as a part of this world. Society is not frail, people are and it is people who shirk their responsibility from society. If something is wrong, yes change it. I never said anything to the contrary. My comment was strictly in regards to our responsibility to each other. Naturally that includes if something needs to be repaired, you fix it. Just like in class, if there is trash on the floor don't wait for someone else to pick it up. It's just as much your responsibility as someone else's. You are part of this world and that gives you the power of life. How you live it is your responsibility.

If there is trash on the floor, you would (according to me) throw more thrash on the floor until something is done about littering. That way there won't be any littering any more. You're treating the symptom, and not the illness if you pick it up.

Sword
11-13-2005, 10:34 AM
"Power" can apply to anything. Most commonly: Authority. You have to be responsable and not sbuse that power for your own greedy intensions (if you have any, that is)

Darklord
11-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Hmmm..yes I believe this phrase except I would say this is better 'with great power comes great consequences'. It goes very well in my country, the more power you have here. The more people will try to slit your throat off, like my uncle...... His baby daughter died in his own hands because he had a political seat in a town...she was murdered because of her fathers political power. So I believe this second one.

akiko_kalla
11-13-2005, 04:09 PM
If there is trash on the floor, you would (according to me) throw more thrash on the floor until something is done about littering. That way there won't be any littering any more. You're treating the symptom, and not the illness if you pick it up.
I understand what you are saying, and perhaps it was not the best example that my sleep deprived mind could think up. Regardless, my point it, it is YOUR responsibility to do something about it, not just look at it. Putting more litter there will only teach some people that it is acceptable behavior and they will do it more, not caring or being bothered by the lack of space or smell or whatever. In that case, you're still not treating the problem because the problem originates with people not taking the responsibility for having children and teaching them that it's not okay to litter. Or maybe they felt it IS okay to litter, so that is what was taught. The point is, it's still not going to change because you have to change the mentality first. Many people don't want the responsibility of having a child, or they didn't/don't realize how much power they have when they bring a life into this world. They didn't/don't realize that they have the power to help shape this life and so they shirk the responsibility. Not all, but far too many. The reasons people shirk responsibility and deny being connected to other life, THAT is the illness. I'm not sure how to cure it, but I'm certainly doing what I can to try. I've seen far too many people look at the illness and the symptom and choose to do nothing. They don't even try, and THAT is the problem I'm referring to. That is the illness I'm talking about. They are shirking their own responsibility to the world they were born into, and are just as guilty as the ones who left the litter in the first place.

And I just two of the last three sentences with prepositions...meh, I'm so tired. :P

Surimano
11-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I think it is true. Great power DOES come with the payment of great reponsibility. If not everyone who DOES have great power, can go around and use it with no regrets. Of course, there are some people who DO do that, but they don't know that they're hurting themselves in the process.

Thank you for your time. *bows*

Mira Kaiba
11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I completley agree. If you are granted great powers, then it is your responsibility to use them to aid other people. Because of your powers, you are expected to act in relation to them. Because you have more, you are expected to do more. That is even how it works in real life. At first you are given little, and little is required of you. However, as you grow, you are given more, and are expected to do more with it.

Galaxy
11-13-2005, 07:41 PM
it is true i say because when you get great power...you have a great responsibility to have to control then in a way that you can use it without it destroying you...all of this is a metaphor like Inuyash with the Tetsusaiga...and Kenshin as the man slayer...both have great power and great responsibility to use it the right way

Tira Misu
11-13-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement with this quote.

I'm not trying to get political, but let's take George Bush for instance. He has a lot of power (although he's not omnipotent, like some people assume) and unfortunately, in some circumstances he has used it in the wrong way, which has led to a vast array of consequences. I'm not going to say this is all his fault, that he didn't think he was making the right decisions but it was his responsibility to use the power to the highest degree of accuracy, which in some instances we could say he has failed at.

Power is something that can change lives, for better or for worse, with consequences like that you have to be responsibile enough to wield it properly.

I do think it would be unfair to assume that just because someone has power, and may end up using it incorrectly that they are not responsible. There's no such things as being 100 percent responsible, mainly because we all have choices to make. Sometimes, we think we are making a choice that is good for everyone, but may end up not so well. Which is unfortunate because the person at "fault" usually ends up getting reamed for it.

Anyways, in short, yes I do agree with the statement.

akiko_kalla
11-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Hmm...the way I define responsibility is not that they always come out on top with each action, but that they accept the consequences for their choices and learn from them. I don't know of anyone who can see into the future and know what the best decision is, but to me your responsibility isn't to know the best decision. Your responsibility is to make the best one you can and accept the consequences--good or bad--that happen because of your decision. Then it is also your responsibility to learn from the situation to continue to make better decisions in the future. If it was a mistake, don't make the same mistake again. If it worked, use the knowledge to help in other situations. It's when you don't accept the consequences and learn from them that I would say you are shirking your responsibility. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound like I'm talking in one big circle...

harakiri
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
I completley agree. If you are granted great powers, then it is your responsibility to use them to aid other people. Because of your powers, you are expected to act in relation to them. Because you have more, you are expected to do more. That is even how it works in real life. At first you are given little, and little is required of you. However, as you grow, you are given more, and are expected to do more with it.
That's true. It's like when I was little. I was small and didn't have many privalages. So nothing much was expected of me. But now that i'm older, I have more power and have more power and freedom to do what I please. But in return, because I'm older, I have more responsibilities and more is expected of me. And If I'm not responsible and do what is expected of me, then I will loose all my power.

ChaosAlchemist
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
hmmm most of you say yes its true but explain to me more why some of you think its not true

Kaitou Dark
11-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Of course its real anybody whos seen spiderman would know that
SPIDERMAN!!!!!!!!!

~Troublesome Woman~
11-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, that's a hard question. Yeah, if you have a great power, you shouldn't use it to hurt people. But at the same time, why should you use it for the greater good? If I had a great power I'd use it for what I wanted, not what someone else wanted.
So no, not really.

zodiak
11-18-2005, 09:36 PM
eh, it depends on which side you want to be on, evil, so whatever the hell you want to, hero, sit around or use reasponsibilty

akiko_kalla
11-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, that's a hard question. Yeah, if you have a great power, you shouldn't use it to hurt people. But at the same time, why should you use it for the greater good? If I had a great power I'd use it for what I wanted, not what someone else wanted.
So no, not really.
Because the greater good includes your life as well. Even if you don't see the direct relationship at the moment, the actions you put forth will be returned to you in the future. Being selfish is a very lonely way of life.

Diasuke
11-18-2005, 10:51 PM
its true.if you have great power,it is a gift and you should not misuse the gift of power

~Troublesome Woman~
11-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Because the greater good includes your life as well. Even if you don't see the direct relationship at the moment, the actions you put forth will be returned to you in the future. Being selfish is a very lonely way of life.

Yes yes yes, I know, but what I'm trying to get at is that the greater good is sometimes wrong. Like, ok, here's an example:
This woman is about to kill this guy. You have the power to stop her from doing it. Well, the greater good would tell you to stop it. But what if the guy was a total nutter who had killed the woman's husband and children? Then it would benifit humanity to have the guy dead.

Me? Well, if I saw that happening, I'd just walk on by. I wouldn't want to get mixed up in it, and it's none on my buisness anyway.

Dark Knight Yuka
11-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Uh...for one thing nope, it sucks and sounds corny. And for two things I hate that saying because it came off the movie spiderman.

So..Peace.

[BlackDeath]
11-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes it is true... because... I... am... Spiderman!

akiko_kalla
11-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes yes yes, I know, but what I'm trying to get at is that the greater good is sometimes wrong. Like, ok, here's an example:
This woman is about to kill this guy. You have the power to stop her from doing it. Well, the greater good would tell you to stop it. But what if the guy was a total nutter who had killed the woman's husband and children? Then it would benifit humanity to have the guy dead.

Me? Well, if I saw that happening, I'd just walk on by. I wouldn't want to get mixed up in it, and it's none on my buisness anyway.
And then the woman would have to deal with court and new reports and possibly jail. It wouldn't be better for her to kill that guy because then she'd have to deal with being a murderer herself. As for society, it would be better if society sentenced the man and forced him to take responsibility for his actions. Just killing him solves a symptom, not the problem. Because the POPULAR solution is often wrong, that is why I'm saying do it for the greater good. The responsibility a person has includes being able to see through the immediate issue to the real problem and seek a true solution, even if it's not a popular decision.

Bucky Katt
12-04-2005, 02:45 PM
The quote, "With great power comes great responsiblilty" cannot be truer. Take a look into history. Ever heard of Vlad the Impaler? He had a lot of power. How did use it? Well, let's just say that he used it unwisely and came to a...damned ending when he died. His cruelty knew no bounds and he used his iron fisted power to destroy his enemies. Quite the charming fellow, Prince Vlad.
Then compare him to Queen Elizabeth of the Elizabethian age. She was a queen of stature and grace. She ruled fairly and when crisis arose, she used her power to crush the clash of iron against iron. She took her responsibility and turned it into something to be proud of in England's history.
You can take Vlad's path of responsibility and walk in the direction of Hell, or take the true route to a wonderful life such as Queen Elizabeth. You decide.

Wolfwood
12-05-2005, 04:12 AM
ofcourse its true.
say you give something that gives someone power, like a gun, to a person who isnt responcible at all. how do you think that would end? O_o

if you have power, you need to be responcible and not give into the old saying "power corrupts(sp?)"
i guess the spiderman movie is a good example. if he wasnt responcible, wouldn't he use his powers to steal? or to get what he wants?
he uses them for the good of others by protecting them. but he had to learn that lesson the hard way by lossing his uncle because he wanted revenge on the guy who cheated him outta some money.

colonelsp
12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
i say its true but that is my opinion

TMcMahon51
10-08-2006, 04:54 PM
So, when you obtain power through more unsavory means, you've earned it?(I know it's been a while, but I haven't been here in nearly a year)
No, that is not what I meant. What I meant by that, was having to earn power by gaining respect, and through leadership. Getting it any other way, is just gaining it, not earning it.

The Wing Man
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I think it does.

Ichiro Matsuchani
10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Not to break the tide of very well done posts, but I have to say that there's not any real responsibility if you already have that power. It doesn't have to be a responsibility if you do whatever the hell you want with it, only if you're making it complicated by using it for the benifit of others.

I assume that you got this from Spiderman, so let's put it in that context. If spidey decided to do whatever he wanted with his power, his mental state would be a lot more at ease. Since he wanted to use it for the better of others, it became a lot more complicated. He would have to keep his identity secret, so that others would not be in danger for his actions. He would have to use descretion for how to go upon his business, for many others would not know his true intentions.

To put it in real life terms, say a person got a nuke. He could use that as terms of cease-fire, saying that "We're stronger then you, but we don't want to have to use this". Otherwise, he could use it as a weapon to end a war, like the way we bombed japan in WWII. In using those nukes, we caused many troubles for japan that continues to plague them to this very day.

In short, there is no real responsibility in power, but there can be if you make it that way.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Uh...for one thing nope, it sucks and sounds corny. And for two things I hate that saying because it came off the movie spiderman.

First off, the Spiderman character who said this was actually quoting Sir Winston Churchill's words of: "The price of greatness is responsibility. If you take that and put it in a more easy to grasp concept, you get the "With great power comes great responsibility" quote.

I see this quote to be so very true. Unlike Hitler who had so much power, he did not use it wisely and only caused chaos and suffering to his people. He did not take responsibility for his actions and ended up losing in the most cowradly way possible (Suicide? That was low.) And not to mention Saddam. Again, he had so much power and misused it. The "responsibility" this quote speaks of is the idea of how to use the power. Using it in the wrong way will only lead to destruction and shame.

Ami~chan
10-09-2006, 06:53 AM
When you have great power, the consequences of how you use that power is greater.

Think of it like this: If you have a water gun, and you shoot someone, if it hits, the consequences and the actions that would follow would be lesser than if you shot, let's say, a rocket launcher at them.

Plus, it was in Spiderman.

Mugen's Girl ~
10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, It's True. If You Want Something, You Have To Work For It! And If You Have Great Power, It Takes A Lot Of Work To Keep It That Way. For Example, If You Were President.