PDA

View Full Version : Anime and Gaming

Nick and Jeromana
10-29-2005, 11:45 AM
It's with a sad fact that I've discovered one of my all-time favorite Anime series have video games. It's really bugging me, because not only do I know they're in existance, but I know there's no chance that they'd ever be translated (even just subtitles/texts) here in the U.S. Which ones am I refering to? Well, if anyone's read the Negima Manga series, and are awaiting the release of the Anime, it has a Playstation 2 release of an RPG/Sim game that looks rather interesting game-wise. There are other games that were anime series before like Neon Genesis Evangelion. There were series that stretch across the platforms. Love Hina is a PS2 and GB game. I've just learned GB doesn't have a Region limitation, but still... I think the Playstation and other gaming consloles/platforms would really do well provided they gave in and translated these games. Tenchi Muyo GBA, Sailor Moon PS-One... Whatever the case, what do other people think? If everyone got together and stood up Playstion and said, "We want our Anime-Based games" would they listen if there was enough of us? Hmm...:<_<:

Chaos Master Dark
10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Forget Playstation.
It makes me mad, Game cube has no
Anime-based games.
I dont have Ps2.
I dont want Ps2.
I want my Inu, FMA, etc games!

zodiak
10-29-2005, 02:51 PM
well thats true

-Batman-
10-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Forget Playstation.
It makes me mad, Game cube has no
Anime-based games.
I dont have Ps2.
I dont want Ps2.
I want my Inu, FMA, etc games!
well than, if you don't want a PS2, than you'll never get those horribly put together anime based games that you desire so.

Darth Tyranus
10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Anime games suck in general (so do movie games), that is the main reason anime games never see release in the u.s.

■■■■■■
10-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Quite frankly, anime games are games of the past.

All of the decent anime based games were released in the early 90's and late 90's on systems such as the Dreamcast, Sega Saturn and SNES and the Playstation.

What pains me is that only the most -recent hit anime names- were mentioned.
I'm suprised no one popped up to say .. Tomeki Memorial? Princess Maker? Beat to death Angel Dokoruru Chan? Ultraman ? Kamen Rider?
Just the overly pretty and mind numbing trash that is invading America and the rest of the world like the Germans did Poland.

Anime Characters need to stick to Anime Games, not action games , not rpg games, just something based off their own T.V show or book.
It's quite sickening to turn on a videogame to be treated to an overly pretty, overly anime-based main character who seems to defy all the rules of the game by being stronger , faster than everyone else without breaking a sweat.

Dracula/Castlevania was so much better before they made all the main characters anime based. . For shame.

Darth Tyranus
10-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Dracula/Castlevania was so much better before they made all the main characters anime based. . For shame.

They aren't anime based, it's called an art style and one that has little to nothing in common with anime. And did you just call princess maker (which is a border line pedophilia simulator) good?

Nick and Jeromana
10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
It's safe to say that the breeding of Anime Fans and Gaming Fans are on almost opposing poles. Those who like a really good anime seem to set their focus on storylines and characters of Anime, whereas Gaming Fans are more focused on just playing a game. Which both are understandable.
For example: Many people may have heard of the Star Ocean series. On a personal note, I'd have to say this exceeds Final Fantasy. However, there are some games like the first person shooters, simulators, and sports games that I don't find as exiting.
As for the Anime Field itself, I think that the market is SO big that it's overwhelming other countries with what should and what shouldn't be brought into their countries. However, I think that if you license an Anime/Manga you should be able to also attain any kind of games, etc that comes with it. I try to find either games that involve characters I'm already a fan of, or a game that I can personalize to create my own story within its storyline.
(Yes, I'm a major RPG player)
Despite that, I am exclusive to the Japanese Anime RPG market:Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, (Even though they failed in the end) Xenosaga... But my real interests are in Anime Games like Negima- based off my favorite Manga artist- Ken Akamatsu. I know there's little hope for its arrival in English, but I suppose I can leave it to the Anime Series soon to be released. (10-30-2005-Licenced by Funimation)
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/negima/vol2/img/top_img.jpg
:banghead:

■■■■■■
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
They aren't anime based, it's called an art style and one that has little to nothing in common with anime. And did you just call princess maker (which is a border line pedophilia simulator) good?
The new ones for the Gameboy advanced are, if that's not an anime based style what is? The newer artist Ayami Kojima, a -manga- artist started a more manga'ed approach which slowly slid the games towards the Anime-standard. Rather than the gritty looking and more popualar characters of the past.

Speaking of that ; the changes brough on by the newbies at the time Ayami Kojima and Koji Igarashi altered the very being of the Dracula games, to some they've killed it. To others, they improved it for the mindless anime-fan generation.

Anyway;
As for Princess Maker , I did'nt say it was good, I mentioned it's name as a list of japanese games with Anime graphics and other assorted games that should be translated.
While on the topic of PM;
Princess Maker is'nt borderline pedophilia since you're rasing a child. If it was , would it have so many sequels? It's sort of like Wonder Project J and Wonder Project J2 FX combined with Harvest Moon and Monter Rancher. Like magic, you're presented with a child to raise (Hopefully well , or in my case into a monster.), the situation is ironic and the whole flow of the game is funny.

Get your hands on the game and play it, it's quite heavy in japanese though with the exception of the ps2 copies, which are .. Simple. In the long run, it's just another breeder game.

Darth Tyranus
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
would it have so many sequels
Yes, that why there are 5s and 6s after many hentai games.

And i have been a fan of castlevania for years, the only anime style thing i can find is some of the character stills and a few opening videos, that's it. The style of the in game graphics and game play have pretty much nothing in common with anime. Unless you think every 2-d games is anime looking, which would be moronic.

Doll Face
11-02-2005, 08:11 AM
The problem with anime games is they are made for collectors of the series rather then to appeal to the masses. The majority of the anime games are not usually made to be good but made just to sell. The company that is making already knows they have a guaranteed amount of copies that will sell. These are bought by the fan of the show, which may be buying it just to play (To see if it offers any more insight into there favorite character or to see what would have happened if this character hooked up with that one, ect ect) or to collect. The reason we don’t see a lot more games based off anime being brought over is that it will not sell to those who don’t know the series already and anime is still (Even with the boom it has gotten recently) a small fandom. The Orphan PS2 game for example, I found it absolutely awful and the game did not give me enough information about the characters or stories for me to get into (I did not watch the anime before trying this game). The Berserk game for the Dreamcast was a bit better, still confusing since I did not watch the anime or read the manga yet, but the game play was not so dependent on the story (or explained the story better, I don’t remember its been a long time since I played it). Anime game makers don’t always do there best to set the story and characters up and that is a problem for those of us who don’t know anything about the anime (Hence why you don’t see many localized anime games). The best we can do/hope for is either modding our systems, buy a Japanese system, or hoping that Sony will wise up and get rid of its region set up (Because if some one wants something bad enough they will just get it illegally has my friend has done with Narutimate Hero game, only took him 3 days to d/l it and he was set). That’s just my opinion though.

■■■■■■
11-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes, that why there are 5s and 6s after many hentai games.

And i have been a fan of castlevania for years, the only anime style thing i can find is some of the character stills and a few opening videos, that's it. The style of the in game graphics and game play have pretty much nothing in common with anime. Unless you think every 2-d games is anime looking, which would be moronic.
First , that has to be the second greatest over assumption I've read on the forum.

Second , keep the petty quips to a minimum okay?
A good majority of 2D games produced after '96 are anime looking, not ALL.
Yet! We are'nt going in to that, so let's not venture there okay?
Let's keep this on the Dracula games.

Recently, The Dracula games except Circle of the Moon , the others fit into this ;All have had seriously out of place bishonen/anime styled characters.

So all the the in-game graphics are'nt exactly the same as the box art? Your point? A good portion of the ingame graphics were drawn by our friendly Manga Artist Lady. She did'nt program them nor convert them into sprites, she did however give instruction over the face images of the main characters.

Lastly, you really do have to be blind not to notice that male characters slowly became pretty.
How could you go from gritty Gladiator-style characters to over specified anime inspired characters? Gritty Simon Belmont to utterly pretty boys Alucard and Sohma?

So your saying only games with more than 5 and 6 after them are etchi? (Hentai is a word translated inncorrectly by a bunch of fanboys and girls that is constantly being incorrectly used and is completely out of context in every situation.) Then would'nt every Final Fantasy game be banned from the shores of other nations?

Beserk , that game was before it's time. The manga was'nt even carried by bookstores when it was released, nor could it be imported easily. Just VHS'ed or Fandubbed.

Back onto the topic; By mixing anime styled characters into games, it does create a mindless tedium of pointless games in the long run. Then the lack of character design slowly kicks in.
Examples : Chaos Legion , Devil May Cry 3, CastleVaina Lament of Innocence and Crimson Sea. Pretty much the same main character, moves the same, looks the same sounds the same ; Would'nt suprise me if the characters had the same frame of motion.

It's also the lack of creativity in the rest of the world that allows these Japanese games to completely rule the gaming market. Either they are'nt trying or they don't care, one or both.

The only company we can rely on not to bombard us with countless anime styled games is Ubisoft since they are the only company to bother bringing French and UK games to the rest of the world.

Go Ubisoft!:)