PDA

View Full Version : beauty and our society

Redrose_11
10-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Do you think beauty plays an important role in our society today?
I do. Everywhere you look people are trying to improve their looks by getting some sort of plastic surgery.

-akichan-
10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
I'd say yes as well, dun you guys know that there are more than 75% of pplz care about how they look around the world? well some pplz cares about their beauties cos they must be attention hunters, but some pplz realli dun care about beauties instead of their society.

I care about our society more, if you can social, then you dun need the beauty, you can just come out with a "nice look" to socialize, nice look as in "nice" not focused on "beauty" if you guys know wut i mean^^;

i know 3 pplz from my church, 2 girls are natural nice lookin and focuses on society, one is on beauty, but this beauty girl doesnt get excited to socialize with other pplz, the other 2 are realli popular, they dun need unique clothes, makeovers, or kool hair styles.

zodiak
10-29-2005, 01:39 AM
both yes and no, Yes because are society has fallen to a low that looks is the only thing that love is about. No because looks isn't all. Many towns or small societies don't go by looks. Sure you would want beutiful people, but at what cost?;)

Eris
10-29-2005, 11:30 AM
The concept of beauty is flawed. The definition of beauty varies with society, for an example: In pre-industrial Europe pale skin and slight overweight was considered very beautiful for men, since it indicated that you didn't have to work in the fields all day long.

Masali
10-29-2005, 11:36 AM
beauty unfortunately plays a pretty important role in society. most people judge other people based on their looks. those people are shallow...very shallow.
some beautiful people are cool about it and don't let it go to their head. but most people suck about it.

Faceless111
10-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Beauty plays a large role. A pretty man is walking down the street and says, "I need money for a new car. Won't you gents give me some?" And he gets free money, an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

A blind, fat, crippled, stinky, ugly guy needs money and you'd give him a penny, dime, whatever.

japonice_aeris
10-30-2005, 01:39 AM
beauty inside is more important than beauty outside...but humans probably wont understan that...they might have eyes...but their eyes are blinded by visibility..the visible beauty...tsk tsk.. sucks

Capernicus
10-30-2005, 01:55 AM
screw the beautiful

sjøpølse
10-30-2005, 02:14 PM
To quote an actress: "Fat women are painted, framed and exposed in museums, whilst "chicks" are pinned in pre-pub teens' rooms".

Beauty is such a cultural thing; you can tell it's a personal thing all that you want, although still are you influenced by society more than yourself. And whatever your conceptions of inner and outer beauty are, you will always be influenced first by the look; assume and embrace the thought: we are all as superficial as any other.

katrina_survivor
10-30-2005, 04:36 PM
The only thing that blinds us is our ability to see. I ripped that off from so many people, lol.

Anyway, yes beauty plays a huge role in society. whether that's bad or good, I'll leave up to those of you reading this.

Lavo Madding
10-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Society is made up of many things, but if you think about it, the beautiful have the most "influence".

The word "beauty" in this case, I assume you believe it means on the outside; the physical characteristics of someone. But what about a person's inner beauty? In the society I know, where I live, the people who are outspoken, kind, helpful, ect... they are the ones that are changing how we live in this area.

Really, I think reputation has more of an impact to society. Beauty just plays a role that twines with reputation.

Tsuna Kadiri
10-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes, the way you look plays a big role in how people view/look at you. Well, that's how you first judge a person, right? When you see a stranger, you don't see their inner-beauty, you only see the outer-beauty by a first glance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But since the dominant stereotype of what is beautiful is so overly-praised and shoved in your face, people don't think anything else can be beautiful besides that particular stereotype.

-akichan-
11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Exactly, Beauty is a large role in society but not many peoples needs the beauty to be in a society, some peoples can go in to a society without the beauty-beauty. As long as you look "nice" not as makeovers, plastic surgeries all over, just look nice like you normally would be, then you're fine.

☆l2emix☆
11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Ne~~~you really don't need the beauty to see peoples, but of course i don't mean by dirty, and messy lookin is fine. Just look nice as aki says, no need of purposes.

Anime is poison
11-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I definelty plays a partly huge role in society today. When it comes to getting jobs, or even getting out of getting tickets or jail time, looks play a lot with society. Someone's beauty doesn't determine someone's skill or innocence though, so we have come to a sad point in our society today.

Lucidian Dyne
11-07-2005, 11:02 PM
If it isn't presentable, it's ugly. Ugly doesn't sell in anything but sideshows.

Yes, beauty has a heavy influence in society. Point at something! Notice how smooth and streamlined, how curvaceous and soft, how sparkly and solid it is. It was put there for reasons other than its function, possibly by its own free will. You can apply the concept from roadsigns, to cars... and to people. o.O

Tira Misu
11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Of course most people consider it a charm to be "aesthetically pleasing". Personally I think the common standard of beauty is boring.

What makes someone beautiful is all of their foibles combined with their other more "perfected" parts.

And of course, beauty plays a huge role in society. Merely because humans are weak, and tend to become enchanted with the looks of another, which gives the latter a sort of control over us.

Who's more likely to get out of a ticket? Kirstie Alley now or Kirstie Alley circa Cheers?

In the words of Aldous Huxley:

"Beauty is worse than
wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder."

Karel
11-08-2005, 12:15 AM
I don't even care anymore, whether I look good or not people will always ignore me.

People can have their beauty, but it takes more to earn respect

forgotten Duo
11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I would say how someone looks has always been "important". I will also say however, that the older you get, the less looks matter. Gravity and old age work it's magic, and while how you and other look is somewhat important, it doesn't control your life like it once did.

Wandering Samurai
11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
well the sad truth is yes. Our society is basiclly run by beauty. All the beautiful people are worshiped and adored. While people like me are in a dark corner in the room all alone.

akiko_kalla
01-01-2006, 04:32 AM
You know what is funny is when I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be something about the arts.

I think looks do play a role in our society, but not beauty. To me, beauty is something beyond just being attracted to someone or liking how they look. It isn't looking a certain way to get attention or favors. To me, beauty is sometimes reflected on the outside and can be alluring in a seductive yet respectful manner, but it is also reflected on the inside. In order for me to consider someone beautiful, they must be a beautiful person, not just a good looking one. From my definition of beauty, no it does not play as big of a role as it should, but sex appeal plays a far greater role than it should.

TodayIsMine
01-01-2006, 06:55 AM
All i'm going to say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. personally, i see plastic surgery and false improvements to be disgusting...they don't improve, they ruin what is truly beautiful - nature.

Beauty comes naturally, you can't induce it with cosmetic unrealities...it's just dumb.

Yes, beauty is very important to modern society for some reason. personally, i like to look good when i'm going out or something...i like to look presentable, really, who doesn't...but when you push is so far as to get your nose made smaller to go shopping, that's where media and society have come in to manipulate you, to turn you into something your not.

like i said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...there is never need to change the way you look. and i know people may critisize people who don't look as good as celebrities, but you shouldn't let that put you down...those are just ignorant people with high hopes and stupid heads!

_CTA_
01-01-2006, 07:06 AM
well it depends on the person

Nespa
01-01-2006, 07:50 AM
beauty is on the inside, someone can be beautiful but stil have a nasty personality while someone who is fat or not beautiful may not have great looks but do have a great personality.

abercobie
01-01-2006, 08:01 AM
i'd say that is true many pple r getting plastice surgery to look better and putting on all that makeup and hair spry ex. u get the pic.........

Buruku
01-01-2006, 10:38 AM
unfortunatly thats the kind of materialistic society we live in. But mankind is always trying to improve everything, so naturally we would try to improve our looks as well, i think ppls standards for whats attractive is getting harder to please, which kind of sucks. but i dont think those model boys with ripped abs are attractive at all.

Volmar.00.Brasil
01-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I think that the beauty is a good thing, but if a excess of information about this make you a mindless beauty seeker... you are non a person but a cosmetic builder machine

kuroimisa
01-01-2006, 08:51 PM
beauty is subjective. Unfortunately, social expectations remove the 'subjectivity' by imposing the general subjectivity as an objectivity~ and this is causing problems. People are giving away plastic surgery vouchers for Christmas [yes, this is true], and the media is playing a major role in creating the social image of 'beauty'. But really, there is no one notion of beauty... beauty is a bit too overrated, these days.

*unshed~tears*
01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
We all have our own ideas about what is and is not beautiful. i'm sure at one point or another you have judged someone because of their appearance...i'm not gonna lie and say i didnt because i did, whether or not i meant to.and to answer the question yes beauty does play a very large role in society. i dont think there will every be a time where beauty doesnt come into consideration.

gothic_neko_youkai
01-02-2006, 01:37 AM
It's not as important as everyone makes it out to be...after all...its going to fade in due time

I mean sure, it sells, you dont see overweight people with horrendous face distortions on a Victoria Secret ad but those models arent always going to be THAT beautiful unless they take excellent care of themselves
My old Gym teacher is almost in her late fifties and I swear, she only looks to be in her early thirties and is a very attractive and athletic woman. And its all due to taking care of herself