PDA

View Full Version : Remakes.. Is this what the consumer mind wants?

Nineteenth
10-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, the time has come to finally explode.

If no one has noticed they really need to look at the games they are buying. What exactly is the deal with the sudden influx of "Remakes"?
These games for example are including and not limited to:

Aeon Flux, all of a sudden there's buzz about it.

The Warrors , a movie that was'nt really all that good. Considering the situation could have been avoided rather quickly. . .

The Godfather
Transformers
Mobile Gundam (They are remaking all of them, except for the good ones.)
Dragonball Z , (They will remake all of them except for the good ones.)
Prince of Persia ( It had an Atari game, it had a commadore game, it had Sega game, it had an NES game, it had a saturn game, it had a ps2 game.. and so on.)
King of Fighters (There's a remake comming out that is a REAL kick in the teeth for ANYONE who has bought any KOF from 95 and Up.)

Games that SHOULD get decent remakes but have'nt gotten any :
Really, an endless list but I'll list a game that just about everyone should know.
Blaster Master and Bionic Commando.

Alot of the remakes are centered towards a gamer marker that was'nt even born when these things were first released. O _o..
Then , sooner or later... Some over-bribed magazine (Gamepro, Game Informer, Gamers Republic, Etc.*Overbribed meaning over 50% of the book is dedicated to ads and giving totally unfair reviews to good games and over-rated reviews for poor games.)and some sugar rushed fanboy is going to go off their rocker and spread the fake hype to the rest of the world.

Think about it? I've seen it FIRST HAND.
I went to 20 out of the 30 local videogame stores, and in each one there was some sort of person asking for the release dates for things like Scarface, The Godfather and the Warriors.

I've asked a few of the people who wanted the warriors why did they want it.
Some said it was a "classic" some said it was "playing for their home team by buying a game about their area." and the younger ones, " Because it looks good."

". . ."

Eh, am I missing something about the consumer mind?
Am I the only one -not- happy with the same mindless game just with new skins over and over and over?

Darth Tyranus
10-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Most of the games you mentioned aren't remakes they are sequels. And prince of persia was never on an atari system or the sega saturn, I'm not sure it was a nes game either. It was however a sega cd and dreamcast game and maybe a genesis it's hard to remember every sequel to such an abscure franchise.

How is it a remake if things like the godfather the warriors and now scarface never had games before? Also blaster master did have two sequels, i never played the genesis one but i know for a fact the psx version was garbage.

I've asked a few of the people who wanted the warriors why did they want it.
Some said it was a "classic" some said it was "playing for their home team by buying a game about their area." and the younger ones, " Because it looks good."
What's wrong with wanting to play a game because it looks good? I thought resident evil looked good back in 1996 so i wanted to play what's wrong with that. I don't get the classic remark because the movie may be classic but the game isn't, it's brand new. new things can't be classic, only things that have showed they are good after not being brand new are classic. And i think the movie being set in new york was why a lot of people went to see it in the first place, stuff happens all the time.

Eh, am I missing something about the consumer mind?
Am I the only one -not- happy with the same mindless game just with new skins over and over and over?
I'm pretty unhappy but i don't think you gave the best examples you named games that don't fall in to what you're complaing about. Games like mega man and dynasty warriors fit like a glove, you just need to iron out your thoughts first.

Loljoke
10-23-2005, 08:35 AM
People like top graphics, people like cool effects, people like CG, people like good sound, better AI.
Some people just really likes the origional and wants the remake because they liked the origional, and hey, it has better graphics.
It doesn't bother me, I like remakes myself.

Doll Face
10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
They work because they have a fan base already. If you are making a new game you have to get people interested in it and get them to buy it. But if you already have the fan base the interest is already there so you’re already guaranteed to sell X number of copies, now you just need to build up hype to get others to buy. The best example of this is the City of Heroes stand alone expansion City of Villains. Cryptic, the makers of CoH and CoV, already have the fan base from their first game City of Heroes and the expansion City of Villains already has people willing to buy it. Now the people already going to buy are going to tell their friends “Hey this is really cool game you should get it too, so we can play together.” right there they have just sold a few copies.

Another reason many of these remakes or sequels come out is the creators already have a concept to work off of. If they were just to make a game from scratch they would have to come up with new concepts, ideas, environments, stories, characters, ect. With a sequel they have that information there already so they just need to build on it and make it just different enough (or pretty enough) to justify the price tag.

White_Angel
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I, personally don't mind remakes, though there are some games that I feel shouldn't have remakes. Take the Final Fantasy series for example. Many people are really enthusiastic for an FFVII remake, even though the tech demo for the PS3 was only to show what it could do. I'm not really too bothered if they do, or don't decide to make a remake. The originial was enough for me.

Moonlight Dreamer
10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Remakes are good, Just making too many might be a little too much!

-Batman-
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
heres my stand point...

Bad games- Remake them, the second time around may be good, and if it sucks...your not really damaging the games reputation.

Good games- Leave them be. If the game was good don't bother remaking. If you remake a good game, it will most likly suck, because the developer puts no thought into it. Square knows that if they remake FF7, it will sell like hotcakes just because it's FF7. The game could have the same exact gameplay, just better garphics and voice acting, but it would still sell BECAUSE it's FF7.

Darth Tyranus
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
People are remaking VERY VERY few games, it is sequels you are complaining about.