PDA

View Full Version : Don't look inside

Bean Bandit
10-11-2005, 04:49 AM
Now that I have your attention..

Effective immidiately there will be no more quizzes posted in Misc. forum.

Please use your signatures to advertise them in and post your results in your journals. Lets all help to keep AF clean from spam.

Any new quizzes that do show up will be deleted.

Repeated violators besides getting warnings, will have to deal with long explanations from me why they cant do it. Others here can testify that you do not want me to go on and on about something. It probably is the worst punishment you can get. If that doesn't work, then you will be warned.

While were at it, lets cover this..

Spam:
There may be some confusion over the SPAM rules of the Board. So we will attempt to clear it up for you so you don't have to scream SPAM until you're blue in the face. This is how the Misc. moderators will determine what SPAM is:

SPAM generally follows under one of the following categories:

Website Promotion:
The promotion of a personal website on multiple threads or forums. It doesn’t matter if its a great site - its SPAM.
Generally if a guest of any kind posts a website - this will always be considered SPAM because it's obvious why they came on the board. If its a more established member who wants to share their website so they can share with the community - this is NOT considered SPAMMING - understand this crucial point, that a more established member can have their website in their signature. However if they go to multiple forums here and say - go to my website under my signature- then guess what? That's Spam! - make sense?

Questions:
Asking the same question in several forums is considered SPAM because there is no way that your question fits the purpose of each forum. There is a forum for questions reguarding the site. Use it.

Celebration posts:
DO NOT make idiotic posts saying how many posts you have done.

One Word Posts:
DO NOT make one word posts just to raise your post count. Post to add to the discussion of a topic. Making a post that just says "OK" or "lol" adds nothing.

Off-Topic Posts:
Keep your posts on topic. Random discussion belongs in the chatroom.
Other members need to also stop posting to tell members of the above rules. That’s a moderator's job and often it's only adding to the mod's work load.
Violation of any of these rules can result in being warned or having your reputation lowered. These decisions are taken at our own discretion.

Spamming will get you warned and multiple spamming can get you banned eventually - not just your screen name, not to mention a good talking to from the Administrators

Please remember that there are some members of this board who are minors and as such may not fully understand the implications of some actions. Also, at a younger age you are far more influenced by peer pressure, etc. As a community, we have a responsibility to look after each other - please remember that. If you are unsure whether you should post on a topic, pm a moderator beforehand - use us as a guide - afterall, that's what we are here for.

So the key is to check it out if in doubt - or better yet - let us do our jobs and check it out. If a mod is not responding to a Spam or a jerk - ask him or her or pm one of the Misc. mods. Please use the report post buton. It is why it is there.

If you have any questions please feel free to message any one of us.

p.s. The bottom line is just use common sense, and everything will be fine.

Most people do not read pinned topics, so here it is for all to see with no excuse.

You can respond in here if you wish. But be for warned most replies will be deleted. There is no use attempting to argue over things. You will just be beating a dead horse and have your reply deleted.

Bean Bandit
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Bumping for others to see

En Svensk Tiger
10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
About time. Maybe people will even read it now.
Too little too late though I'm afraid.

Capernicus
10-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow. I didn't know you guys lowered reps too. I try not to SPAM, but sometimes it's hard. Sorry about that though.

Eris
10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
*does a little dance*

Deathbyspartan
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
i like the way you got all our attention made me laugh i must use it some time :)

Eris
10-11-2005, 01:29 PM
For some real AF-fu: You can hover a title to see a preview of it's contents, and thus avoid "accidentally" reading stuff you don't want to know of.

Haunt
10-11-2005, 01:32 PM
awesome

souske
10-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Wow i didn't know that my rep can be lowered. i guess that sucks for me. Now I know all the rules

Lon
10-11-2005, 02:39 PM
So let me get this strait:
Billy bob joe jimbo walks in with an unregistered account and says:

"Hey! I have a really kick rear mypage acocunt check me and my bad self out! www.myspace.com/dorkzilla "

This is spam and thus user would be ate alive by the spam censor monkeys.

However! If someone more reputable such as a Sr. Member (such as myself) or anyother established name (such as the rest of you all) Make a post saying roughtly the same thing:
"I just signed up for myspace! Please add me as a friend www.myspace.com/mycoolnesshere" so long as it is in their signiture, then it is NOT considered spam?

But the only way to avoid a spam thread in the entirity is to 1) become an established member. How you quantify established exactly I'm not sure. But Generally I think we know somehow what that is. and 2) Only post links in your signitures.

Got that. Now for the million rupee question.

What about harmless links to other websites being posted if it partains to the thread of discussion??? Would that be spam as well?

Example: Joe Jim Bob Smith posts in the game forum: "Man I can't seem to beat Sephiroth for Kingdom Hearts! He has to be the hardest villain in this game! Is there anyone out there that can give me any tips on him?"

In reply to this post, Sr. Member Allsgood Rep posts: "You can find all the info you want and more on Kingdomheats at www.fansitehere.com. Just follow the links once you are at the site."

Would That post be spam? I only ask because I know that everyone seems to have a diffrent understanding as to what constitutes what, and the last thing I want is more friction.

Kewii
10-11-2005, 03:13 PM
When it comes to linking to other pages, Spam is when you post a message just to advertise that site. And no. You cannot make posts saying check out my web site, the link is in my signature. That is also spam. What Bean means is, if you want to advertise your site, do so in your signature. Do not create a post for it.

Linking to articles to back up your opinion on a topic of debate (for example), however, would be acceptable.

If you're confused if you should post a link or not, PM one of us. We'll set you straight.

The Rebel
10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay, so when greeting newbies, we are not supposed to tell them to read the rules or tell them what the rules are, is that right? Don't get me wrong. I've read that part 2 or 3 times, but I just don't understand it.

Kewii
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay, so when greeting newbies, we are not supposed to tell them to read the rules or tell them what the rules are, is that right? Don't get me wrong. I've read that part 2 or 3 times, but I just don't understand it.
I'm sure you've noticed that sometimes people post a thread and then everyone just posts in it to tell them it's spam or the thread exists or that sort of thing.

Really, people are just making more spam. So we want people to report the threads and let us deal with it, instead of creating more of a mess.

To sum it up. People need to stop trying to be moderators.

Lon
10-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow.. Such an easy issue and yet so many loop holes it makes my head want to swim.

I think the site forums, at least it seems this way to me, is more intemedating than welcoming to its users. Newer users doubly so.

Not only does one have to worry about weather or not ones subject is cocher(sp?), but then they must contend with making sure things apply to all the site's rules and what not, spelling errors at a minimum, punctuation, grammer, no double threads, making sure any senseless advertisements is done inside the signiture, etc. Once that has all been done correctly, now we have to worry about other forum users calling them a noob, or other inflamitory things over matierial it is assumed the user simply must already know. (dispite the fact that they may have only been at the site for all of five minutes thus far) I think that last sentence there really kind of ties in with what klutz was saying above. Users trying to be mini-mods and all to free to inform the poster that their material doesn't fit the criteria because of A) or do to B). Finally, what doesn't get to them there, may come in the form of a moderator beating down their front PM door over an issue the user may have once thought they had a clear understanding of.

It can be a lot to swallow at once.

Kewii
10-11-2005, 05:20 PM
It's really not as complicated as you are trying to make it sound Lon.

Most of the things you've pointed out are common sense anyway: proper grammar and spelling are things that are taught in school. And neither Bean nor myself have ever jumped down a users throat for doing either of those.

The signature rule for advertising has always been in use and members would know this if they read the rules. That goes for a lot of rules that are currently being broken.

And about the double threads. Again, we've never warned for duplication. We close the thread and tell people to use the search function.

We actually do understand that some people are new and aren't familar with things. We don't jump down throats if they make a mistake. We correct them and move on.

Besides, these rules are directed more at those members who are already here and need a refresher.

Keitaru-san
10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
its just the name of the topic, if it werent you beanie i wouldn't have look, some people would realy ignore the post(noobs maybe)

Lon
10-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah... Right then. Well in that case I see.