PDA

View Full Version : Help Buying First Anime

dragonfly
10-02-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm planning to buy some anime, don't own any as yet, but living where I do limits what I can preview before I buy. Basicly I need advice on what anime is good because I can't check it out for myself. I enjoy mainly anime from the magical girl, supernatural and romance genres but with a bit of sport and comedy as well. What anime/s would you suggest I consider? (with reasons please)

red storm
10-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Hmm, I find Angelic Layer a very enjoyable anime, it has a lot of humor, despite that the story itself is pretty serious. It has fights, but the fights don't go beyond magical girl level (meaning no blood and gore)

short summary, Angelic Layer follows the adventures and battles of a young student named Suzuhara Misaki. After discovering an interest in the game called Angelic Layer, Misaki purchases and creates her own doll, Hikaru, and with her, she is able to participate (and win) in Angelic Layer Tournaments. Along the way we meet the friends, foes, and family of Misaki.

Anime^fangirl^Shenlu
10-02-2005, 08:06 AM
For a first time buyer I'd suggest a light hearted anime... such as Card captor Sakura... It's a magical girl series and it has a lot of comedy... it's pretty long but it's a good choice for a first time buy... another magical girl series I would go for would probably be... Magic knight rayearth... it hasn't got as much comedy but it has a lot of magical girl scenes and as you said... you enjoy magical girl series. Sport and comedy would have a lot of series that follow... possibly Prince of Tennis though I haven't seen it myself so I can't really say. Princess Nine is a good light hearted sport anime ^_^ About baseball (one of my fave sports which is probably another reason why I like it) it has a lot of funny scenes and is based around a female baseball team trying to compete in a big competition. I can't think of a series with sport and magical girl in the same series off the top of my head... sorry.
Supernatural has so many it's amazing ^_^ One of my fave genres so I have a few I can recommend. S-cry-ed is a good action and supernatural anime with a lot of comedy ^-^ The main character being a complete idiot. E's otherwise... again it doesn't have AS MUCH comedy but it has some and the main character has powers so... supernatural. Get backers is hilarious and probably a good choice for a first time buy. It centres around two guys who basically "Get back" things people have lost. It has a lot of funny scenes between the central characters and it's also supernatural.
Well I hope I helped some... Good luck with your anime buying.

dragonfly
10-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your help, I had hoped to get a few more opinions before buying anything but I suppose I can just check out reviews of the ones you have suggested and decide from there.

The Wing Man
10-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Look for the x series.

dragonfly
10-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Would have been nice to get a reason, but thankyou for your suggestion.

Anime is poison
10-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Most people go with Inuyasha series when buying Anime, seeing as it has a lot of action, a lot of comedy, and a cool story line. But I would have to go with my personal favorite Wolf's Rain. It isn't very comedic but it has an excellent storyline that makes up for that. If you haven't watched it on Adult Swim, its basically about this pack of wolves looking for a place called "Paradise". But on the way there they encounter many obsticles that they must either run or fight through inorder to reach their destination.

If you want a funny anime, another good one would be Lupin the 3rd, lol. Its basically about a thief who goes around stealing things, but gets himself in trouble with this cop and women a lot. Its the funniest anime I've ever seen, while having its action in there.