PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Unveils the Revolution Controller.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 01:59 AM
http://www.myspace.com/4974099

http://cube.ign.com/

red storm
09-16-2005, 02:27 AM
A remote.... A friggin remote. How am I suposed to game with a remote? I sure hope nintendo brings an alternate controler on the market, because I will flatly refuse to play with a stupid remote.

Lonewolf Kajishima
09-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Uh....OMGWTFROFLMAO?A remote?What the hell?!That thing is going to take quite a while to get used to...

Saiyuko
09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Erm...the only remark I can make at a moment like this."WTF?!!!"
Yeah, just what is nintendo thinking now?A remote as a controller?Hope you're right red storm about them making a alternete controller....it's just going to be plain awkward playing with that...

lordraziel
09-16-2005, 03:13 AM
yea i hope that they have another controller for gameplay and i hope that ones for the internet or somethin they got to come up with somethin better but if it comes to that i can adjust

Nocturne
09-16-2005, 04:12 AM
...Having a little trouble breathing here...*cough* http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/ph34r.gif

...Ahem, ah anyway! I shall reserve judgement till I can actually hold it in my hands...erm...hand? http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

picano
09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, there is alternative of using gamecube controllers I believe...

Then the option of a controller "shell" for playing games the way we normally have learned to.

Lots more links / pics at this Topic on the Warp Pipe Forum.
http://forums.warppipe.com/viewtopic.php?t=20935

Gotta say the controller caught me a bit off guard, but to be 'revolutionary' and still be playable, I think it looks like a good job. I'll wait to play myself before I pass a final judgement.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/09/15/revcon_screen004.jpg

bms
09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't like it much.

william_birkins
09-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it's okay but it wasn't what I expected though.

MistaCloudStrife
09-16-2005, 11:56 AM
So there are 4 a/b buttons?? Wow.... And from the looks of the back of it... It takes batteries... Wow... Guess they're tryingto go in a totally new direction... o.O;;

As for me....

Give me a tiny boomerang any day...

http://img293.echo.cx/img293/763/mandohobbit8ky.jpg

SeijouOmni
09-16-2005, 12:48 PM
All of the controllers will take batteries, or have some kind of recharge station, since they're all wireless. However, I'm not reserving judgement about the Revolution controller...it looks liks crap, and since it's supposed to use this whole "pointer" feature, I'm sure that, like with the touch screen, they'll make you use it even when it's completely uneccessary. And there simply aren't enough face bttuons on that to play most of the games we play now.

Uchiha Ulquiorra
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
That thing is just..... retarded looking. I hope they make a different controller or something.

Secret Asian Man
09-16-2005, 01:20 PM
WHAT IS NINTENDO THINKING?!?!...Now that I've got my initial shock out, I guess I'll have to see how the controller works for myself

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 01:27 PM
That looks even worse than the ps3 controller! what's next?

although it looks good for point and shoot games, lol

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
When i first saw the thing about a half hour ago i said what the fuck? But after i thought about and read the posts I'm totally pumped to see how this turns out. And for this.....

That could be any star wars fan wet dream, what star wars nerd hasn't dreamed about having a sim light saber battle? I would kill for a game like that, you could use the trigger to manipulate the force and such. If they do it right they could have a lot fo star wars fans on there side, but I'm only dreaming so who knows.

What i do know is this could be awesome, could you imagine how completely amazing a game like panzer dragoon or rez could be on this thing? Or even better yet nights in to dreams or super monkey ball! This idea really could bring interactivity to the next level for console games. I didn't say it will i said it could, it coudl fail horribly but if the DS is any sign of nintendos creaticity i ahve high hopes.

Plus since you can change the controller developers could make a controller just for their game. Like to analog sticks for katamari damacy, come to think of it two motion sensitive sticks would be great for racing games too.

Yeah it's all speculation, but it's more fun to think of what could be instead of condemning them seeing as how no one posting has used the damn thing yet.

Give me a tiny boomerang any day...

Wow you're all for the new sony system what a shock.

The Wing Man
09-16-2005, 03:25 PM
I am ok with the remote, even that it will be hard to play some games just like with a remote.

MistaCloudStrife
09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
That could be any star wars fan wet dream, what star wars nerd hasn't dreamed about having a sim light saber battle? I would kill for a game like that, you could use the trigger to manipulate the force and such. If they do it right they could have a lot fo star wars fans on there side, but I'm only dreaming so who knows.
Yeah, I'm not suprised myself... You're getting pretty giddy about a non-made Star Wars game..

Anyways.... Looks like you won't need to buy a DVD remote for the Revolution... If it comes with DVD playability that is...

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not suprised myself... You're getting pretty giddy about a non-made Star Wars game..

I used the word could and dream a few times meaning of course it isn't in production. It was only a wish, you give a **** about final fantasy seven spin offs why shouldn't i dream about a light saber dueling game?

BlueJade
09-16-2005, 03:55 PM
That would be a new (Revolution) in gaming.
Nintendo gets points for being different and for thinking outside the box
whatever it ends up as I know its gona be awesome.

MistaCloudStrife
09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
haha... I never said anything was wrong about dreaming about Star Wars... I just thought I should get you back a little for all your fanboy comments...=P

And I swear that controlelrs looks like one of those smaller iPODs... And that extra little controler piece looks like they just took it from a piece of the N64 controller...

Its cool that they're going wireless though... Lets just hope all these wireless controllers battery life is pretty long... and hope that we won't have to charge them too often... o.o;;

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
That would be a new (Revolution) in gaming.
Nintendo gets points for being different and for thinking outside the box
whatever it ends up as I know its gona be awesome.
Nice to see an OPEN MINDED gamer.

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 04:02 PM
When i first saw the thing about a half hour ago i said what the fuck? But after i thought about and read the posts I'm totally pumped to see how this turns out. And for this.....

What i do know is this could be awesome, could you imagine how completely amazing a game like panzer dragoon or rez could be on this thing? Or even better yet nights in to dreams or super monkey ball! This idea really could bring interactivity to the next level for console games. I didn't say it will i said it could, it coudl fail horribly but if the DS is any sign of nintendos creaticity i ahve high hopes.

Plus since you can change the controller developers could make a controller just for their game. Like to analog sticks for katamari damacy, come to think of it two motion sensitive sticks would be great for racing games too.

Yeah it's all speculation, but it's more fun to think of what could be instead of condemning them seeing as how no one posting has used the damn thing yet.

yeah, you have a good point, but i doubt there will be any playable fps with this controller, lol!
anyways, nintendo isnt the one pushing on fps anyway, so its probably great for rpgs and arcade games ^^

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
1UP said metroid prime 2 played just fine on it. And you all know the controller is motion sensitive right?

Raimego
09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
THe controller looks awsome ,its kind of confusing?

BlueJade
09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
As long as they don't delay the premiere of the system, am good
hey
Im just waiting for animal crossing 2
and super smash brothers 3.

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 04:14 PM
1UP said metroid prime 2 played just fine on it. And you all know the controller is motion sensitive right?
yeah, but still its probably best for point and shoot games and those things, i dont really know.

and bout the motion sensitivity, ive got a gamepad from 1999 for my comp which has that, so its not really anything new..

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 04:17 PM
So your 1999 game pad for your PC has a built in gyroscope? That doesn't sound like it would serve any kind of use for PC games. Are you sure you didn't just read it wrong?

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 04:21 PM
So your 1999 game pad for your PC has a built in gyroscope? That doesn't sound like it would serve any kind of use for PC games. Are you sure you didn't just read it wrong?
i guess it does, it workes supremely on flight simulators and racing games ^^
and its really accurate! the only minus is that it doesnt have that many buttons :(

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 04:59 PM

---

Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it. A Star Wars: LightSaber Duel Game in the First or 2nd person game.

-

Did anyone see the trailer yet with people using the controller?!.

Marie2007
09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
awesome

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 05:07 PM
i guess it does, it workes supremely on flight simulators and racing games ^^
and its really accurate! the only minus is that it doesnt have that many buttons :(Well there you go you know the idea can work great, nintendo didn't invent the touch screen either but they made great use of it.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 05:08 PM
http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

This is SWEET. I watched it 10 times last night.

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Every one of you people that just mocked the Revolution Controller, did you actually bothor to learn what it does!? Seriously some of you idiots take one look and swear and curse Nintendo forever. I hate people like you.
To those that actually bothored to learn what it does, I commend you.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

Follow that link to learn about the controller.
Once you do, you will realize that the controller is the best thing to happen to video games in years! Anyone who cannot see this obviously is not a gamer. Imagine playing Zelda with this controller, my god, it would be incredible. You would have utter controll over Link's weapons. Or Resident Evil 4, that game was so damn near perfect, but it would be even better with such a control device. Metroid Prime 3 is surely going to be one of the best games I have ever played, oh man the possibilities. Then there is you standard FPS Genre. What do you think Perfect Dark or Goldeneye would be like with the Revolution? They would be so damn perfect! You would have absolute precision aiming, moreso even than with with a PC Mouse. You Xbox losers out there, think of how great your beloved Halo would be with that kind of control scheme!! the only reason people are scared is because it looks different. People fear change, and that is why they are stupid. People though the DS was freaky looking, and they thought that the PSP would own it in every way. Well they were sadly freaking mistaken. The DS has outsold the PSP in every region in the world. And by over a million units no less. The Revolution is destined to be the greates of the next-gen consoles, it is only a matter of time before some of the imbeciles around realize it. That is not to say the other two will suck. The PS3 is looking better by the day. As for the Xbox360... Well I wish that thing would cease to exist, but it is better than the first Xbox by far.
Nintendo has always been the leader of innovation, and they have my complete faith. They have not let me down yet, and they are not about to start now.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Every one of you people that just mocked the Revolution Controller, did you actually bothor to learn what it does!? Seriously some of you idiots take one look and swear and curse Nintendo forever. I hate people like you.

Once you do, you will realize that the controller is the best thing to happen to video games in years! Anyone who cannot see this obviously is not a gamer. Imagine playing Zelda with this controller, my god, it would be incredible. You would have utter controll over Link's weapons. Or Resident Evil 4, that game was so damn near perfect, but it would be even better with such a control device. Metroid Prime 3 is surely going to be one of the best games I have ever played, oh man the possibilities. Then there is you standard FPS Genre. What do you think Perfect Dark or Goldeneye would be like with the Revolution? They would be so damn perfect! You would have absolute precision aiming, moreso even than with with a PC Mouse. You Xbox losers out there, think of how great your beloved Halo would be with that kind of control scheme!! the only reason people are scared is because it looks different. People fear change, and that is why they are stupid. People though the DS was freaky looking, and they thought that the PSP would own it in every way. Well they were sadly freaking mistaken. The DS has outsold the PSP in every region in the world. And by over a million units no less. The Revolution is destined to be the greates of the next-gen consoles, it is only a matter of time before some of the imbeciles around realize it. That is not to say the other two will suck. The PS3 is looking better by the day. As for the Xbox360... Well I wish that thing would cease to exist, but it is better than the first Xbox by far.
Nintendo has always been the leader of innovation, and they have my complete faith. They have not let me down yet, and they are not about to start now.
---

:awe: :banana: :rollt: :ride: :smash: :awe:

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I still dont think it looks so good for playing fps like halo (since you brought it up), i mean, think of the halo (xbox) controller scheme, and think of it on the revolution...
i dunno, im most certainly not getting it anyway, but thats more of an interest issue..

red storm
09-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Oh, so just because I don't like the idea I'm 'stupid' or 'not a gamer?'

Yes, I did research, no I don't like the idea because I happen to like having two hands on a controller. I admit, for shooters and eye-toy like games this controller might turn out to be brilliant, but what about other genres? How are RPG players supposed to wade trough their lists of items/attacks etc.Or supposed to move trough their world at all?

I am not 'condemming' this new controller, but that does not mean I will like it. Like I said, I just hope nintendo will bring an alternate controller on the market.

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
No offense, but I do not think you clearly grasp what I am talking about with Halo. As you said, this is an interest issue, but you would obviously use the analog add-on for it. In your left hand, you could move the character, lock on of throw grenades or whatever. With the main controller you would aim, change weapons, and fire effortlessly. Precision aiming by simply moving you wrist a little. Now, the Xbox'a controller is a crim against decency, but if you fully understand the Revolution's controller capabilities, you would understand my reasoning.
Of course, Halo would not be put on Revolution, so this does not really matter. Besides, Halo is an inferior product in comparison to a game such as Perfect Dark.

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 05:45 PM

Yes, I did research, no I don't like the idea because I happen to like having two hands on a controller. I admit, for shooters and eye-toy like games this controller might turn out to be brilliant, but what about other genres? How are RPG players supposed to wade trough their lists of items/attacks etc.Or supposed to move trough their world at all?

I am not 'condemming' this new controller, but that does not mean I will like it. Like I said, I just hope nintendo will bring an alternate controller on the market.

I think the controller will be amazing for rpgs, the pointing system must be great for that, and you got buttons for moving around in menues and stuff.
But yeah, as you said, I love having my two hands on a controller.

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 05:47 PM
No offense, but I do not think you clearly grasp what I am talking about with Halo. As you said, this is an interest issue, but you would obviously use the analog add-on for it. In your left hand, you could move the character, lock on of throw grenades or whatever. With the main controller you would aim, change weapons, and fire effortlessly. Precision aiming by simply moving you wrist a little. Now, the Xbox'a controller is a crim against decency, but if you fully understand the Revolution's controller capabilities, you would understand my reasoning.
Of course, Halo would not be put on Revolution, so this does not really matter. Besides, Halo is an inferior product in comparison to a game such as Perfect Dark.
i know, its probably very good for fps with the tilt sensitivity, but I just like it better with a good controller sticked between my hands ^^ (like i said in my last post by the way)

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Ah but you see, I was insulting those that did not research the controller. I had no issue with you.
As for your RPG dilemma, there are more than enough buttons to "wade through items" as you put it. Besides, if you like having two hands on a controller, you will be fond of the Analog add-on. It was clearly designed for games that require two hands. Besides this, there are numeroud other possible add-ons that could be made.
Again, I did not mean to insult you who actually researched the controller. You should have read my post more carefully.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2061/handsontherevolutioncontroller.jpg

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Ah but you see, I was insulting those that did not research the controller. I had no issue with you.
As for your RPG dilemma, there are more than enough buttons to "wade through items" as you put it. Besides, if you like having two hands on a controller, you will be fond of the Analog add-on. It was clearly designed for games that require two hands. Besides this, there are numeroud other possible add-ons that could be made.
Again, I did not mean to insult you who actually researched the controller. You should have read my post more carefully.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2061/handsontherevolutioncontroller.jpg
even though you wasnt saying that to me,
i really dont want to argue or anything, i like your points!
and i did read your posts carefully and i have read everything atleast on ign about it..

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm sure we all have witnessed games that involve a bullet time like mode so what if in the slow motion, the remote will only respond to slow motion movements?

How about a fighting or adventure games that have a slow motion sequence everytime a finishing or powerful attack is executed? Say the remote is used as a sword. You use the remote to execute a finishing attack that involves two diagonal slices from top left to bottom right, then moving from bottom right to top right and then to bottom left for the second slice. The attack can finish with a vertical slice.

My idea on the sword play is this. What if the first diagonal slice was at normal speed but the follow up second diagonal slice was slow motion and the game will only respond to bullet time like movements of the controller and then to finish up with the vertical slice, game time returns to normal and the player has to respond quickly to finish the combo.

Think of a fighting game where there is no move list, but you, you create the move list using your imagination.

Loljoke
09-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm sure we all have witnessed games that involve a bullet time like mode so what if in the slow motion, the remote will only respond to slow motion movements?

How about a fighting or adventure games that have a slow motion sequence everytime a finishing or powerful attack is executed? Say the remote is used as a sword. You use the remote to execute a finishing attack that involves two diagonal slices from top left to bottom right, then moving from bottom right to top right and then to bottom left for the second slice. The attack can finish with a vertical slice.

My idea on the sword play is this. What if the first diagonal slice was at normal speed but the follow up second diagonal slice was slow motion and the game will only respond to bullet time like movements of the controller and then to finish up with the vertical slice, game time returns to normal and the player has to respond quickly to finish the combo.

Think of a fighting game where there is no move list, but you, you create the move list using your imagination.
interesting...

red storm
09-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Ah, I see. Apologies then.

Anyway, I still don't think this controller would be effective for playing RPG's. Having one four-point arow placed in a very inconvenient place is going to be a pain for RPG players. You will be wading trough menus a lot, and having four point, A B and all the others spaced apart will make battles and menu-navigation rather difficult. And then I'm not even talking about town navigation, which is going to be total hell with the N64 cut-out joystick. I know, that is only one genre out of many, but it will be a major point for me. Since I never play shooters on a console, any 'it will be great for <insert shooter here> will have zero effect on me.

Edit: on a side note, I did play an arcade sword game using a similar controls, was the most fun action game I played in years. Perhaps...

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 06:04 PM

For the "i like two hands on a controller" people you can't say if you like how this controller feels because you haven't actually held it yet. Once you play a game or two with and still don't like it fine. But before then you can't say how much you will like it or not. And i don't see how RPGs would be hard at all, that analog piece comes off you know. So you could just use the nes style controller for it since most RPGs only need a d pad and two buttons any way.

And I'm sure they will release different hook ups for different style games any way. One of the controls many inovative ideas. Think of it this way say you don't like how it plays with racing games. You could just buy a steering wheel and plug it in to the controller easy as pie. I fail to understand why there is so much negative buzz, this seems like a wonderful idea that is actually trying to move gaming forward. Can't say that about the 360 or ps3 controllers.

red storm
09-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Which is exactly why I say bring an alternate controller on the market, not ditch this idea.

I can see this working for shooters and sword fighting games, but not RPG's. Even if you hook of the analog, you still have the awkward positioned buttons.

Edit: one more thing: Unless they bring an alternate controller, they completely ruined any chance for bakward compatability.

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Well another thing about your RPG dilemma, red storm, is that you can potentially use the Gamecube controller for any standardized RPG's that may come out on the console. Although, if you are so concerned about RPG's, you would be better off picking up a PS3 before getting a Revolution. Hell, I am going to get a PS3 for the RPG's. Square Enis alone is reason enough to purchase one, heh.
I want you to consider this though, say that you have an RPG that does not revolve so much around menus. Say in order to cast a spell, you have to move the controller in a certain sequence. For arguments sake, let us say forward, back, left, right, forward. This specific movement could cast a specific spell, Fira if you will.
As for selecting attacks, you would simply point and select what you want to use, then point to the enemy you wish to attack. If there actually were item menus or some other such thing, you coul navigate them quite speedily by having clearly defined sections for different types of items. You could find and select the item you were seeking in seconds.
So you see,the Revolution controller would work for RPG's. Although, your standard RPG's don't really need an advanced input device. You could play FFX on a SNES controller. Moving would be hell, but it is possible.

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Wait, you didn't know the revolution had game cube ports? Maybe you should try doing more information searching than.

awkward positioned buttons.Awkward, can i buy drugs from you? It's a curvy nes controller what the hell is so awkward? Everything is spaced out nicely and it looks to be larger than the classic nes pad, fixing any serious complaints you can have with a nes controller.

And really i just need to say this one more time maybe some one will listen.

You haven'y played it yet, no on here has. How can you know doesn't work well with rpgs?

There is NO way of truly knowing yet.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 06:19 PM
How it might work with Adventure Games:
-
The traditional adventure genre has taken a backseat in recent years to more action-focused titles. While we all fondly remember the days of Maniac Mansion and Sam and Max, one of the few popular entries in the non-action variety of the genre nowadays is Myst. That these types of games haven't lit console gamers on fire isn't really surprising. We all enjoyed what Shenmue was trying to accomplish, but let's face it -- examining stuff can be really boring if the interface is too limited. Cycling through hot spots just isn't fun. Well, here's the chance for the Revolution pointer to shine.

The whole hands-on approach of moving the remote around and grabbing items could help turn mundane tasks into fun ones. Players could examine a room and move around a virtual hand, grabbing items and manipulating objects. If you don't see the attraction here, go grab Wario Ware Twisted and try out some of the interactive toys. There's just something addictive about manipulating objects while the control unit's rumble feedback tricks your brain into feeling texture or resistance. Whether it's examining a dead body on the floor to figure out a mystery, solving 7th Guest-style sliding puzzles or rummaging through an open desk, the pointer may just be able to breathe new life into one of yesterday's most imaginative genres.

red storm
09-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Well another thing about your RPG dilemma, red storm, is that you can potentially use the Gamecube controller for any standardized RPG's that may come out on the console. Although, if you are so concerned about RPG's, you would be better off picking up a PS3 before getting a Revolution. Hell, I am going to get a PS3 for the RPG's. Square Enis alone is reason enough to purchase one, heh.
I want you to consider this though, say that you have an RPG that does not revolve so much around menus. Say in order to cast a spell, you have to move the controller in a certain sequence. For arguments sake, let us say forward, back, left, right, forward. This specific movement could cast a specific spell, Fira if you will.
As for selecting attacks, you would simply point and select what you want to use, then point to the enemy you wish to attack. If there actually were item menus or some other such thing, you coul navigate them quite speedily by having clearly defined sections for different types of items. You could find and select the item you were seeking in seconds.
So you see,the Revolution controller would work for RPG's. Although, your standard RPG's don't really need an advanced input device. You could play FFX on a SNES controller. Moving would be hell, but it is possible. I would have agreed, if not for Tales of Symphonia giving Nintendo the chance to get one of my 'most wanted' RPG's rising my fear that more RPG's will follow nintendo.

You put a few good ideas that will utilize the new gimicks of this controller, which I have no doupt will be implemented one way or another. The biggest problem I see with your idea of navigation is the size of your TV screen. The smaller your screen, the harder it is to navigate.

Wait, you didn't know the revolution had game cube ports? Maybe you should try doing more information searching than.
Awkward, can i buy drugs from you? It's a curvy nes controller what the hell is so awkward? Everything is spaced out nicely and it looks to be larger than the classic nes pad, fixing any serious complaints you can have with a nes controller.
I find vertical placed buttons instead of horizontal ones very awkward, it mean I have to place one hand above the other i order to use all the buttons at once

And really i just need to say this one more time maybe some one will listen.

You haven'y played it yet, no on here has. How can you know doesn't work well with rpgs?

There is NO way of truly knowing yet.
Just like you who list the positive posibilities of this controller, some of us list the negative.

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Darth Tyranus makes a good point. I assumed you knew that the Revolution acts as a fully functional Gamecube. It has GCN Controller ports, and GCN Memory card ports. Thus, solving your problem.
Besides, if you look at the Revolution controller in comparison to a human hand, the buttons are perfecty positioned. Also, nobody said you have to hold it like a remote. Games can be designed around people holding the controller horizontally. Or even upside down and diagonally if they want.
One more point, Nintendo specifically stated that any number of add-ons can be desined for the Revolution Controller. I cannot stress that point enough. If a game needs more buttons, developers can make more buttons.
I, like all of you, have ocviously never wielded a Recolution Controller. Although, I do know that it is a well designed, practical, and prefectly awesome piece of technology. If you doubt me, look back at every time the industry and the gamers have questioned Nintendo's sanity. And thus, every time, Nintendo proves that they know what they are doing. You sceptics should have more faith in Nintendo, they know what they are doing and they know how to do it.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 06:26 PM
How it might work with RPG's:

Nintendo made a concerted effort to bring back the RPGs on GameCube -- after almost missing out on the popular genre entirely on Nintendo 64. While the Revolution controller may seem odd, it shouldn't stand in the way of that trend continuing on the next console. If anything, it may inspire some developers to think outside the established "pick attack from menu" paradigm and do something new. Most RPGs use a tried-and-true system of turn-based or active-time battles. Players encounter enemies, players select attacks and defensive moves, players win and gain experience. Players move on and talk to characters. Some of the control solutions we've outlined under the "adventure" category definitely apply to RPGs as well.

Using the pointer, players would be able to examine things, leaf through books (real page-flipping mechanics, baby!) and spend far less time scrolling through menus and moving cursors to the desired actions and stats points. Card RPGs could benefit from the player's ability to pick and grab cards, magic spells could be performed with wand-like motions, and action-RPGs could get really serious with sword and gun controls that mirror those of their pure-action brethren (perfect for first-person games like Elder Scrolls). Paper Mario has shown that turn-based battles don't have to be a simple click-and-select affair and the same concept could greatly be expanded with the use of the pointer. Whether it's smacking a sabotaging audience member with a quick flick of the wrist or performing various motions to pull off the franchise's imaginative special attacks, the genre that's least dependent on controller innovations may actually see some fresh new ideas because of them.

---

http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/korn_858.jpg

Its not that big!.:ninja:

Saint Mana
09-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Heh, you ripped that straight from IGN didn't you dude?
No problem though, it explains my thoughts exactly.
The whole page-flipping thing would be awesome to behold.
Heh, have any of you ever played the Myst games for PC?
Imagine a game of that caliber on the Revolution... brilliant.
Ah yes, the upcoming Trace Memory for Nintendo DS, which I intend to purchase on launch day, is a good example also.
Puzzle Solving will be completely reimagined on the Revolution!
Also, I truly believe that Revolution could house some of the most innovative RPG's yet, given the chance. I hope Square-Enix develops a title or two for Revolution...
One feature that could be used, would be choosing exactly where and how to hit your opponent. Whether is be the throat witha sword, or a toe with a bazooka, it could offer a whole new level of strategy for RPG's. Think Xenosaga II: Junseits von Gut und Bose's battle engine, but you know, actually good. And with an infinitely greater amount of depth.

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064635027.jpg

---

Its better than using a VISOR (Nintendo ON...:laugh: )

Nocturne
09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Whew...after watching that movie, I take back my hesitation in my former post :)

I for one, trust Nintendo. The've survived the console wars for this long without bending to the hype/trends and still managed to send out stunning games etc.

Bring on the Revolution! :)

(ps. Did you see the sword fighting part? ....Sweeeeettttt.... :p)

Darth Tyranus
09-16-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm far from the most optimistic of gamers but why specualte on the negatives? I could speculate the ps3 will burst in to flames, will it? Doubtful. Speculation on a controller you have never used is about on par with saying the sony ps3 might set on fire every time you put gt5 in. You might love the thing or hate it but you haven't used one yet so you can't know.

[BlackDeath]
09-16-2005, 07:11 PM
omgwtfbbq that uber suxors!!11

Ukyo
09-16-2005, 07:19 PM
OMG It's a remote!!! Why is it a remote?! I have a hard enough time with a game controller, this is going to make an interesting challenge.

BlueJade
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey I like it:groupwave:
Points for Nintendo for thinking out of the box

SilverDragonUltimas
09-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey I like it:groupwave:
Points for Nintendo for thinking out of the box---

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2224/471pxnintendorevolutionad3yp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
----
This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8857/understandingtherevolutioncont.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality. The real controller shell is likely to connect to the free-hand-style pointer in a very similar fashion. Please note that we realize our model is not entirely to scale, but this is the best we could do on short notice.

Loljoke
09-17-2005, 12:39 PM
---

This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8857/understandingtherevolutioncont.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality. The real controller shell is likely to connect to the free-hand-style pointer in a very similar fashion. Please note that we realize our model is not entirely to scale, but this is the best we could do on short notice.
i think it looks hilarious with the remote sticking out, i hope it will be cooler when we see Nintendos design ^^
it looks like a spaceship^^

and i hate the idea of buying a special controller for a special game, since it will cost alot more >.<

oh well, Im sure it will be a great console

Darth Tyranus
09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
i think it looks hilarious with the remote sticking out, i hope it will be cooler when we see Nintendos design ^^
it looks like a spaceship^^

The game cube controller is about the same length as the rev pad so really it wouldn't be sticking out like that in the final version.

Alien Sinn
09-17-2005, 02:32 PM
What in fuck's name are they thinking! That's just a piece of crap right there. If it doesn't kill Nintendo's entire business then I will go in there and trash the headquarters. I can't play with a fricken remote. That thing is crap!

SilverDragonUltimas
09-17-2005, 02:40 PM
^its a new way of playing "Certain" types of games guy. What, can't play with just one hand?. And its not a remote, its the "free-hand style controller". Read the articles cube.ign.com has, they're good material. (Besides, nintendo has said they're will be attachments. Look at the fanmocks of what people on the interweb have already made

--
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/gun.jpg
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/wheel2.jpg

Darth Tyranus
09-17-2005, 03:20 PM
The thing has limitless possiblities, anyone bashing it at this stage of the game just needs to think about it for a while and all the great things you could do with a motion sensitive controller.

MistaCloudStrife
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
They're smart... its a good way to make money...

Get the controller with the system...And if you want to play certain games you need to buy a new add on... And the add-ons you can create are... well, alot... o.O' I don't know if thats good or bad...

Kloud_Seven
09-17-2005, 03:41 PM
You people must have forgotten That Nintendo revolutionized gameing in the first place.They know what they're doing and they know what they need to do,which is not makeing the same mistake as they did with the Gamecube.

Loljoke
09-17-2005, 04:33 PM
anyone of the big companies like microsoft and sony can also do this, theire just not doing it, and i personally am glad for that.
but thats just my oppinion, so just ignore this post if you want to

Darth Tyranus
09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
anyone of the big companies like microsoft and sony can also do this, theire just not doing it, and i personally am glad for that.

Yeah screw nintendo for trying to make new inovative games! The nerve just not making some huge shiny box of a system that makes thing look real pretty. Inovation is for suckers and poor people, just give me the same dull crap i have been playing for the last ten years.

but thats just my oppinion, so just ignore this post if you want to

Where's the fun in that?

Loljoke
09-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah screw nintendo for trying to make new inovative games! The nerve just not making some huge shiny box of a system that makes thing look real pretty. Inovation is for suckers and poor people, just give me the same dull crap i have been playing for the last ten years.

Where's the fun in that?
lol, i didnt say that!
anyways, funny post ^^

FarEastStyle
09-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I like this concept I hope it looks like this.http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/understandingtherevolutionc.jpg

red storm
09-18-2005, 02:47 AM
After seeing all the arguments and ideas, I have changed my judgement from 'it sucks' to 'we'll see how it turns out'

I'm far from the most optimistic of gamers but why specualte on the negatives? I could speculate the ps3 will burst in to flames, will it? Doubtful. Speculation on a controller you have never used is about on par with saying the sony ps3 might set on fire every time you put gt5 in. You might love the thing or hate it but you haven't used one yet so you can't know.
Like I said, you are speculating on the positive side, I did the negative. You have not played it either, yet you list all the good things this controller may be able to do while, and I quote yourself, "You haven't used one yet, so you can't know." Balance, my dear sith lord, balance.

Darth Tyranus
09-18-2005, 03:45 AM
You got me there you do need balance when looking at something. And I'm glad to see i swayed your mind a bit to at least see how it turns out.

Loljoke
09-18-2005, 06:23 AM
After seeing all the arguments and ideas, I have changed my judgement from 'it sucks' to 'we'll see how it turns out'

Like I said, you are speculating on the positive side, I did the negative. You have not played it either, yet you list all the good things this controller may be able to do while, and I quote yourself, "You haven't used one yet, so you can't know." Balance, my dear sith lord, balance.
Indeed

Saint Mana
09-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Alas, it seems there are still some people who have not seen the glory of Revolution. Thos of you who are unimpressed, but actually fully understand the Revolution's controller, I hope you will change you opinion I time.
As for you knaves who are not even giving it a chance... I sincerely hope that you will grasp the nearest bladed object and forcibly insert it into your cerebellum. Should you survive, perhaps you will be less inclined imbecillicry.
At any rate, Nintendo has never let me down yet, and they do know what they are doing. They are the oldest, and greatest Video Game hardware company around. They know their stuff.
Also, I am sure than anyone who sees the concept video of Revolution's controller functions will be abruptly interested. Who could not be impressed by FPS Dude, and Sword Dude from the video? Baboons that's who. At second consideration, even Baboons could have fun with Revolution.
Well it is good to know that there are people who have the same position I have about Revolution.
As for you insolent knaves who oppose me however, I have this to say: Get smarter.

SeijouOmni
09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
As it stands, the Revolution controller just CAN'T play a lot of games, due to lack of face buttons and so on, If they do make a real add-on, or alternate controller, that remedies this, then it can be awesome, but right as it is, as they unveiled it, it's basically a glorified gamer's mouse, and the uses of that are rather limited. and I mean a whole new controller, because even the Gamecube controller had 3 less buttons than the other controllers, a poor face button layout, and a tiny D-pad.

picano
09-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Come on... the gamecube controller wasn't that bad, was it?

Worked for all the games I played (ranging from Mario Party to FPS to RPG) (although... X and Y did get on my nerves at times...)

Well, yeah... for most 3rd party games it will prolly need a shell... hope they are inexpensive and come in some good colors. (Specially to match with the base controller, would be kinda awkward to have white base and black shell.)

Darth Tyranus
09-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Come on... the gamecube controller wasn't that bad, was it?

No in fact it was an awesome controller most people who say it sucks don't even have a game cube.

Kamen Hikari
09-18-2005, 07:20 PM
The Gamecube controller was pretty damn nice. As odd as the Revolution controller seems, I for one can't wait for it. I love the aspect of having two seperate parts to it.

Yojimbo51
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Yarr it do. It's the ability to make it into the perfect controller for any game(through add-ons) that makes it look really cool to me.