PDA

View Full Version : NEW RPG player here!!!

Satoshi Hiwatari
08-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I've only played one RPG and i don't intend to play the sequels, it was Star Ocean: Til The End of Time.

My birthday's coming up, and i was thinking of wanting a game for it, any suggestions? I'm open for any of them!!

Dark-Sasuke
08-29-2005, 07:48 PM
For ps2-FFX, kingdom hearts an PS1 FF7 an FF8, 9 is a bit on the childish side, but still was pretty good, gamecube tales of symphonia, skies of arcadia, but the best outta them all is Final fantasy 8, followed by 7 lol an chrono trigger was an awesome games aswell

Satoshi Hiwatari
08-29-2005, 09:42 PM
does FFX hav good graphics, and do i hafta play the other FF games to understand the story?

red storm
08-30-2005, 04:20 AM
All FF games apart from X2 are stand alone's, so you don't have to know what happened in any of the other Final Fantasy's.

Another game I advise is Legend of the Dragoon, if you can find it. Although the graphics may not be top-notch (the game is PS1 after all, which means you need a PS1 memory card to save) but it is one of the best RPG's I have played yet.

Dark-Sasuke
08-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Legend of Dragoon is an awesome game but its got a strange battle system, Final fantasy X is a completly different game to 1-9 but dont get X-2, its really bad, but thats my opinion, there might be other views on it

Marie2007
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
yeah any FF period

red storm
08-31-2005, 03:31 AM
Legend of Dragoon is an awesome game but its got a strange battle system, Final fantasy X is a completly different game to 1-9 but dont get X-2, its really bad, but thats my opinion, there might be other views on it

I actually loved the battle system in Legend of the Dragoon, no longer the boring click, attack, click, attack. You actually have to do something to make the attack more effective. It gives a sence of acomplishment everytime you finish the combo correctly.

Saiyuko
08-31-2005, 03:45 AM
Yeah, the battle system in Legend of Dragoon was pretty nice, sucks that the only part of the game I've played of it was a demo ^^;

MistaCloudStrife
08-31-2005, 04:06 AM
If you really liked Star Ocean 3... you'll prolly like Star Ocean 2: TSS... Great game.. Check it out... Although the graphics aren't as good as 3(Duh, of course they aren't) it's still an RPG worth praise...

My opinion... Check out the older PS RPGs... Instead of getting ONE good new RPG... get s grip load of great old ones... They're the best. So you won't just have 40-60 hours of RPG fun... you'll have like... 200+ hours of it... Can't go wrong with that in my opinion...

monkey_gurl07
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
FF 7-10 are great games to play. Legend of Dragoon is also a great game and so is Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. All Square Enix games rock, in my opinion.:awe:

You should try these games out just like the other guys recommended :p

Sangie
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
haha Devil May Cry, Blood Rayne, and dot hack are some RPG's that i've played and liked never played FF but i heard the graphics are nice

Satoshi Hiwatari
08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Any of u heard Radiata Stories for the PS2 coming out in September? They said it's not gonna come out with good fanfare, but i heard it's gonna be alright for newbie RPGers, maybe i'll get that, it's also from Square Enix.

Sword
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
.hack//INFECTION is good. AND you get a free DVD. And any Final Fantasy really.

[Deathscythe]
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't bother with most of the new RPG games, if it's good RPG titles you are after then you would want most of the older games. Legend of Dragoon as mentioned by Red Storm is a good example of that, other games I would say is Breath of Fire VI, Shadow Hearts, Bahamut Lagoon, Secret of Mana, Shin Megami Tensei, Lunar Legend...

Well that's all I got so far though not all the newest modern RPGs are games of super amazing amazingness. It's not about the great graphics but more in the story line than anything.

Unholy Crusader
09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Wild ARMs 2... One of the best RPG games I'd have to say. It has a great story, great battle system, puzzle solving that requires you to use sub-equipment, and the summoning system makes you wait. =\

-Batman-
09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
oookkk....to break away from final fantasy for a moment (belive it or not...it's NOT the best rpg series out there, it's good...but not the best)

Any of the first three Suikodens...stay away from 4
Xenosaga
Shadow Hearts
Atelier Iris
X-men Legends
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legia
Jade Cacoon
Front Mission series(not really an rpg completly...it's what you would get if an RPG and a Gundam game had a child)
the .Hack Series
WIld arms
Harvest Moon

those are all pretty good, and most of them are cheap because they are older(but that doesn't mean they suck)

If you have Gamecube and/or Xbox as well.

Gamecube
Skies of Arcadia
Harvest moon AWL
Pokemon DX: Gale of Darkness(don't think it's out yet....but DAMN does it look good, even for pokemon!)

Xbox
Morrowind
Knights of the Old Republic
Fable(best to wait for the lost chapters)
Jade Empire

like i said, most of these games are awsome, and a lot of them can be purchased real cheap. the only ones on this list that are expensive now are Atelier Iris,Jade Empire,and maybe some of the .Hacks and KOTOR.

Of course...theres always final fantasy.

Remember...these are just my favorites(sept the pokemon one...havn't played yet O_o). But all in all i would Reccomend Suikoden 3, that will keep you busy for a long time if your out to collect all 108 stars od destiny.

EDIT: forgot about hand helds(GBA)

DBZ the Legacy of Goku( REEAAALLL cheap, like...five bucks now)
Zoids Legacy
The Pokemon games(idc what people say, i'm 17 and i still find these games addicting)
Demi Kids
Harvest Moon
Breath of Fire

Kloud_Seven
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Don't get FFX,That game is a disgrace to all of the other Final Fantasy games.I would suggest getting Kingdom Hearts or something.

-Batman-
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Don't get FFX,That game is a disgrace to all of the other Final Fantasy games.I would suggest getting Kingdom Hearts or something. A disgrace to all final fantasy games...that would be X-2...FFX is GOD LIKE compaired to that over hyped charlies Angels wanna be of a game.

Darth Tyranus
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
My two favorites are knights of the old republic and paper mario. And despite the general good buzz they get most final fantasy games are total garbage. Seven is a pretty alright game but not a master piece.

Shironosuke Takeda
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
for....

Ps2 - Kingdom Hearts,Star ocean till the end of time(nice storyline though),Final Fantasy X(nice graphic and storyline),cant think of anymore(oh dont buy X-2!!)
Ps1 - FF7,FF8,FF9(if you like),legend of dragoon

Nocturne
09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I can only offer nintendo rpg's which are few, but their worth it :)

Cube: Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos (card based), Paper Mario: The thousand year door.

Gameboy: Golden Sun 1 & 2, Breath of Fire 2, Fire Emblem. (You could also try the Legend of zelda series rpg/adventure)

Saiyanbabe1818
09-07-2005, 06:15 PM
cool, StarOcean: Till the end of time is great. Final Fantasy 7 is awsome and 8,9,10 are also cool. Kingdom Hearts, and Jak and daxter

Darth Tyranus
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I second fire emblem the new version for the game cube looks amazing.

-Batman-
09-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Ohh snap, i completly forgot about fire emblem >_<

And for the love of God people, stop suggesting Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, read the first post if you don't know why i say this.

Regalyn
09-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Suikoden 3 has a pretty good battle system, I only wish it was in pokemon for record.
Hey Redfield 22, we both pokemon games are addicting, My parents won't let me go to the competition where find the best trainer because I defeat the creator of pokemon game in Winnipeg.

[BlackDeath]
09-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Don't get FFX,That game is a disgrace to all of the other Final Fantasy games.I would suggest getting Kingdom Hearts or something.Kingdom Hearts is just as bad... and yes X2, X both suck so much.

As DS said, it's about the older games rather than the newer. Shin Megami Tensei (1-3) are good games.

Storm Strife
09-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Well most of the RPGs I was going to sugest have already been said, so I'll make just this one - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. However I recommend that you only get Morrowind if:-

a)You have a lot of patience (the game gives you 100+ hours gameplay on average), and;
b) You plan to be a heavy RPG gamer.

Otherwise you may find the game boring. If you do still decide to get it, there are 2 editions - Morrowind and Morrowind: Game of the Year. Game of the Year is basicaly the original Morrowind with both expansion packs, Bloodmoon and Tribunal. As well as there being two editions, there are two versions for each edition, XBox and PC.

A note on the versions, whichever edition you decide to buy, GET THE PC VERSION FIRST! It may seem easier to get the XBox version, but trust me, if you get the PC version and it works on your PC, you will be doing yourself a big favor. The Xbox version can have problems, in three types:-

a) Crashes - These happen without warning and are affected by how much space a save takes up on your Xbox; usualy the bigger the save, the more often the crashes.
b) NPC Bugs - This is usualy where an NPC seems to have teleported under the floor or, if inside a building, behind the wall of the building. On the PC version there is a way to sort this out (i think), on the Xbox version there isn't.
c) DDRs (Dirty Disk Errors) - I haven't recieved one of these yet, but what tends to happen is that you are chucked out of the game and told that the Xbox cannot read the disk. Depending on what CD Drive you have in your Xbox, these can be either common or rare.

Added with the fact the PC version comes with a program that allows you to create your own dungeon, house, city etc, and a few problems (such as killing a Major NPC vital to your quest) can be sorted out via a console, the PC version is the obvious way to go.