PDA

View Full Version : Most Original Game

Sinnaku
08-25-2005, 12:46 AM
So whats the most original game youve ever played? When you post please include what makes the game so original.

Capernicus
08-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Pikmin. I have no idea what Miyamoto sensei was thinking when he made that game, or what caused him to make olimar so tiny, but that game is sooooo cute. I've never played anything like it sinceO

Loljoke
08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Pong- repetitive gameplay and the first of its kind.

AnimeLegend!713
08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Mortal Kombat.The first fighting game to include blood and grusome fatalities.

Hanzo
08-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Mortal Kombat.The first fighting game to include blood and grusome fatalities.
Mortal kombat? I've always thought it was Killer Insinct. :unsure:

*Stargazer*
08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Pong- repetitive gameplay and the first of its kind.I agree with you.Pong rocks!!!!

harakiri
08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Pong- repetitive gameplay and the first of its kind.
yea what this person said

pyrothunder336
08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Tales of Symphonia. I can't think of any game like it

bakakame
08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

Not the first to make a typical game into a sport-related game, but first I've ever seen to include a faction system as well with the sport.

Uchiha Ulquiorra
08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Super Mario Bros For the NES...! I still think it's the greatest game...

Panda-In-A-Box
08-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I agree with the Pong-thing, it was the first in its kind, and well....2D pingpong? c'mon! i've never played a game that simple and THAT addicting at the same time:P

Lone.Wolf
08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
I think the Bust-A-Move series is original and that pa ra rapper thing or however you say it.

Nineteenth
08-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Gitaroo-man, Yana Callablista City Skater, Stretch Panic, Sweet Home and Monster Rancher. You've seen games attempt to use what they have, or you've never heard of them.

YukiSohma^-^
08-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Tales of symphonia and baten kaitos, the type of game play was never used before, they are totally awesome and original

red storm
08-27-2005, 04:49 AM
Tales of symphonia and baten kaitos, the type of game play was never used before, they are totally awesome and original
What made ToS so original? The free movement system was already used in many other RPG's, some even dating back to PS1 or even the SNES!

[BlackDeath]
08-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Fatal Frame, a horror game that doesn't rely on gore and blood but rather atmosphere and the use of the 'Camera Obscura' was something different, instead of shooting the hell into the enemies with guns you capture their soul/essence.

Also Clock Tower games, similar reasons as the above game only with holy water instead of the camera. And also when the girl panics.

Krsnik
08-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Weeeeell, Front mission, and then probably Shin Megami Tensei. Mortal Kombat, and then Virtua Fighter. Those are the pioneers of the days.

Nineteenth
08-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Fatal Frame, a horror game that doesn't rely on gore and blood but rather atmosphere and the use of the 'Camera Obscura' was something different, instead of shooting the hell into the enemies with guns you capture their soul/essence.

Also Clock Tower games, similar reasons as the above game only with holy water instead of the camera. And also when the girl panics.
The Camerea Obsucra was just a fancy name for Camera Gun. It reloads like a gun, it recoils like a gun, it can cause various degrees of damage like gun.. If it walks like duck and looks like a duck.

Okay, only untill Clock Tower 3 did you have a VIABLE and REUSEABLE way to fight back, which killed the entire franchise by turning into Resident Evil and giving you a visible panic meter. Part 1 , you could'nt fight back. Part 2, you could fight back but it was'nt worth it, Part 3? Not only could you fight back you could KILL your assailants. (Note , part 3 had more than one stalker.. Unlike the rest.)

What about Castlevaina and the Dracula(anything) games? If I recalled they had a death grip for making Holy Water the number one optional weapon (if not the first) one you get.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this.
The Greatest Original Game of ALL TIME AND TIME TO COME is..

VIB-RIBBON

Next to Monster Rancher, no other game ever used the "Insert Another CD to Generate Something" Idea.
Vib uses the music data from any music CD you can think of to generate a level that you can play to the music.'

Want a level playing to Slipknot? Insert a Slipknot Cd.
Want a level playing to Orange Range? Insert an Orange Ranger CD.
Want a level playing to Switchblade Symphony? Insert a SS CD and the game makes a level based of the music. #_#

All the European members of the board must find and play this game, American members such as my self have to be extra nice to the person who owns a PAL "working" playstation. -/

BillabongSurfer9
08-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Kingdom Hearts i think

MistaCloudStrife
08-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Ummm.... PacMan?? Seriously though... That and Pong, Blockbuster, Mario and Tetris....

The classics... you can't any more original than those... Lol.

Oh and Dungeons and Dragons... <_<

Theres more but I cant think of em right now... Like the first FPS game... o.O;; What was it? The latest one I can remember is Wolfenstien 3D... o.<;;

BillabongSurfer9
08-27-2005, 05:27 PM
true i guess mario pac man and pong are the most original

Loljoke
08-27-2005, 06:10 PM
to be really honest, it would be Tennis For Two, back in 1958, but that was mostly hard-wired, so it wasn't a programmed game.

Marie2007
08-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Pong all the way

nasuada
12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
the most oringinal game ive ever played wuz the old,old mario game for the nintendo and not super nintendo or the nintendo 64 but just nintendo and that is a fun game although its 2D and the cgi sux by todays standards but dont u agree its fun to play some old games to laugh at how sucky those graphics were and how u used to think those graphics were state of the art and it couldnt get any better then that?

Sword
12-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Either Zone of the Enders or Kingdom Hearts.

ZOE is a mech game but with a cool story and anime style characters. What makes it original is the gameplay. It's a flying mech, in which you can control it's altitude and the attacks differ depending on if you are at close range or long range.

KH is a brilliant combination of Disney and Final Fantasy. Need I say more?

Thunder22
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Pong is a very original game

Darth Tyranus
12-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Pong- repetitive gameplay and the first of its kind.Wrong, the first video game ever made was space war. The cabinets for the game are crazy. It's funny pretty much no one has ever heard of this game, but make no mistake it was the first video game. You should see the computer it was made on, it was as big as a room.

the most oringinal game ive ever played wuz the old,old mario game for the nintendo It's one of them that's for sure, platformers would not be what they are without this game. Hell we might not even have games anymore. Since mario was a huge player in bringing back the industry from deaths throes.

Blockbuster I've never heard of that game, mind posting a link? Or did you just get the name wrong.

VIB-RIBBON

The fact the west never got this still pisses me off.

Gitaroo-man, Yana Callablista City Skater, Stretch Panic, Sweet Home and Monster Rancher. You've seen games attempt to use what they have, or you've never heard of them. Yeah they are original but how many of them are actually fun? And wasn't monster rancher that pokem esc dungeon crawler? If it's the game I'm thinking of it's hardly original.

Some great and original games no one mentioned are nights in to dreams,one of the greatest games EVER made, worth buying a saturn just to play it. Nothing like this game was ever made and it plays better than ever. Plus it was the first game to use a true 3-d controller. Rez was a fusion of panzer dragoon (another great and original game) and vector graphics and music. The final results are stunning, worth every penny if you can find it. I have been very partial to donkey kong jungle beat, I mean no other platformer has a musical instrument as its controller. I could go on forever, but these are some of my personal favorites.

RxP13
12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
IQ [Intelligent Cube]was a really cool game. It was for the PSone and you played as this dude who walked around on a grid, and these cubes kept on rolling around, and you had to surivive without being Crushed.

Darth Tyranus
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I remember that game, it's pretty rare now actually. It was a cool game to be sure wish I could find a copy.

*guy
12-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Ms. PACMAN

Saiyuko
12-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Think Fable would be one...first RPG, I think that allows you to choose to be either good or evil.

Darth Tyranus
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Think Fable would be one...first RPG, I think that allows you to choose to be either good or evil.Hardly, it has been used many times over. I mean coem ont hough knights of the old republic came out like a year before it and you coud do the same thing. Not that kotor was the first game to ever do that but still, pretty hard to not notice.

Saiyuko
12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Really?Getting forgetful....

Darth Tyranus
12-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Holy typo batman! My last post was horrible, got to watch out for that.

Faceless111
12-09-2005, 10:19 PM
ICO was fun and relatively unique.

kakashiskitty
12-09-2005, 10:28 PM
i agree with pong because it was the first o its kind and a start to cool new games

Razor Clarence
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Need For Speed. Probley the first game that invented street racing.

Keo lord archer
12-17-2005, 08:26 PM
magic the gathering battle grounds and kingdom hearts

Puffy Mushroom
12-17-2005, 10:54 PM
I see we have some nice healthy debate going on... healthy bordering on nitpicking... ^^ Just keep in mind that it's an opinion thread, not an absolute, defining, let's-submit-this-to-some-official-organization-that-keeps-track-of-these-things rating thread. Hahaha, listen to me, I sound like a moderator. I'll shut up and get back to the topic now.

Now, the most original game I've ever played has got to be Star Ocean: The Second Story for Playstation. Here's why:
The Story. Okay, so the story wasn't exactly original... some would say it was rather formulaic: Boy gets marooned on strange planet, boy meets girl on said planet, they go off on a quest to find out about this evil that's plaguing their world, but it turns out to be something totally different, and a bunch of crazy stuff happens. Yes, you could use the same summary to describe at least 10 other games, I'm sure. But despite what anyone says, I *like* the story in this game. The few twists it had, while not totally unexpected, were enough to keep me entertained.
The Battle System. Okay, here we go. SO2 was the first RPG I ever played that had real-time, free movement during battle, in a 3D arena. Your standard long-range/short-range/midair attacks, plus Killer Moves for the fighters (some of which were soooooooooo awesome... Claude's Ripper Blast or Dias' Air Slash come to mind), and spells for the mages. I liked the fact that you could immediately link a Killer Move to a normal attack, but the fact that you could only set 2 KMs at once was sort of a drawback. The spellcasters, though, had no such restrictions. You could use whichever spell you wanted, and have them start casting it right away. The battle would only pause for the spell's animation (something REALLY annoying for the longer spells... why didn't they have an option for turning off spell animations?). And the AI was not too bad either, although sometimes your characters would get stuck in weird loops. Oh well, overall, the best battle system I've ever used.
The Skill System. In my mind, this is what makes SO2 *REALLY* stand out. The skill system in this game is massive. The skills are divided into four categories, with three levels each. You must purchase skill sets for your party before you can use them. When you level up, you get skill points, which you can allocate to whatever skills you want. Some of the skills increase your stats, some are used purely for item creation. The best thing is that you control the direction your character progresses. Want your fighters to be better at customizing their weapons? Do it. Want your whole party to focus on blacksmithing better weapons and armor? Go ahead. Which brings me to a related topic...
The Item Creation System. When you gain levels in certain combinations of skills, you unlock Specialties, otherwise known as item creation feats. These include such things as Alchemy, Cooking, Machinery, Compounding, Musical Talent, Identify, and many others. These alone would be great enough, because you can buy the raw materials to make some truly awesome items. But even better, when enough of your party members attain enough levels in certain Specialties, you unlock Super Specialties. These are item creation feats in which your whole party gets together to create or modify items; they include Blacksmith, Orchestra, Reverse Side (basically, counterfeiting), Come On Bunny (calls a giant bunny to ride around on), and others. The true majesty of SO2 is not realized until you learn to master the skill system and item creation.

For these, and many other reasons that become apparent when you play the game, I choose Star Ocean: The Second Story as my Most Original Game.

bakakame
12-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, I pulled my GC out of the closet today just for kicks and I have to change my last thought. Picmin is definitaly the most original game I've ever played. And it's oddly ammusing to throw all the little picmin directly into the one monster things mouth. Heh, I was half out of picmin before I realized he was actually catching them in his mouth...http://animegalleries.net/bbs/images/smilies/wacko.gif

paine_within
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Hmm....I think the most original game I've ever played is Harvest Moon....I mean.....It's a game...that's about...farming....O.o.....

Kingdom Hearts is only original to me because it had Disney....and Final Fantasy...put together, in the same game...

Dual Hearts was original even though it was a piece of crap. The story was original that's all...oh and the side kick pig type thing you get.

Dark Cloud I think was original. Mainly because of how you could rebuild the areas any way you wanted. Though it's most probably not the first to do so.

Storm Strife
12-19-2005, 05:53 AM
After much thought, I'd have to say Syndicate for the Amiga.....well not most original, but it was original at the time.

....unless something like it came out before Bullfrog made it.

*EDIT* Oops, forgot to say why I think it's original...

The aim of Syndicate is to help the corporation you're working for control the world by taking over every territory on the world map. To help you with this task, you are initialy given 8 cyborgs, a team of R&D scientists dedicated to bringing you weapons and tools to help you (...well if you pay them enough that is), and 150,000 credits.

When you've decided on your name and the name of your corp (the manual sugests EuroCorp), you are faced with the map screen. From the map screen you can choose which territory you want to try and take over next, change the taxes for any territories you currently have control over (which brings in money for you to use), and check what corps own which territories.

After choosing the next territory to take over, you get taken to the briefing room, where you get to read up on the mission requirements needed to take over that territory and look at a small map. At this screen, you can buy an enhanced map of the area and buy extra intel which helps you in the mission.

After choosing to accept the mission, you get sent to the preparation screen, when you get to kit up your agents, change the agents around, add modifications to your agents, and getting your R&D team to research and design new weapons/tools and upgrades for your agents. After this you go on to missions.

Missions take the form of an almost top down view of the area you are in. You have to take control of your agents, otherwise your agents will be about as braindead as a corpse. To change this when they're attacked however, there is a chip installed in to each agents brain that can inject three drugs in to their body. You control how much is injected, and each one affects a different thing - inteligence, reactions, and speed.

Your agents arn't invincible though, so you will need more later. In order to get more, you will need to persuade enemy agents to join your cause by using something called a Persuadatron. In order to do this though, you will need to have the right amount of Persuade points, which gets lowered depending on your brain level.

And thats why I think Syndicate is original

Sailor Chibimoon
03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I think Kingdom Hearts is the most original game because it combines Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters; two totally different things. I <3 Kingdom Hearts

CrazedInuyashafan12
03-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Starcaft, no other game like it.

Sinnaku
03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I think Kingdom Hearts is the most original game because it combines Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters; two totally different things. I <3 Kingdom Hearts
Wow, thanks for bumping my thread.

Disney = Sucks
Final Fantasy = Great
Combined = Very, very average game.

Any hardcore gamer and anime guru will tell you that this was one of the biggest marketing failures any human could come up with. And I will too.

Now, I think that Shadow of the Collossus was one of the most originol games I've ever played in my life.
Why?
It had a very intuitive story, even though there wasn't one. Plus the combat with the colossusis... collosis? collosi? Bog things! Was also special! But the game offers no replay value whatsoever, once you beat it, you've beat it for good. It's just no fun doing it all over again, you already know how to kill the giants. But still! It was fun and originol. 'Nuff said.

anime OG
03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
i ain't old but my brothers, who played old school games before I was born made me old school gamer sometimes too!!!! I loved playing Duck Hunt on the First Nintendo or Galactica on Ataria!!!!!! :D Srry if I spelled the ataria or Galactica wrong!!!!:eek: :( ;)

demon_of_darkness117
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
What made ToS so original? The free movement system was already used in many other RPG's, some even dating back to PS1 or even the SNES!(I know this was a really long time ago, but I have a comment on it)
I think they were refering to the storyline and not the battle system. I mean, it's really hard to find a original game storyline now a days and ToS has a really good one that hasn't been used before.

Pyrobrave
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I thought God of War was a really original game. They were one of the first to have an awesome gameplay mixed with killer music.

Khanxay
03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I see we have some nice healthy debate going on... healthy bordering on nitpicking... ^^ Just keep in mind that it's an opinion thread, not an absolute, defining, let's-submit-this-to-some-official-organization-that-keeps-track-of-these-things rating thread. Hahaha, listen to me, I sound like a moderator. I'll shut up and get back to the topic now.

Now, the most original game I've ever played has got to be Star Ocean: The Second Story for Playstation. Here's why:
The Story. Okay, so the story wasn't exactly original... some would say it was rather formulaic: Boy gets marooned on strange planet, boy meets girl on said planet, they go off on a quest to find out about this evil that's plaguing their world, but it turns out to be something totally different, and a bunch of crazy stuff happens. Yes, you could use the same summary to describe at least 10 other games, I'm sure. But despite what anyone says, I *like* the story in this game. The few twists it had, while not totally unexpected, were enough to keep me entertained.
The Battle System. Okay, here we go. SO2 was the first RPG I ever played that had real-time, free movement during battle, in a 3D arena. Your standard long-range/short-range/midair attacks, plus Killer Moves for the fighters (some of which were soooooooooo awesome... Claude's Ripper Blast or Dias' Air Slash come to mind), and spells for the mages. I liked the fact that you could immediately link a Killer Move to a normal attack, but the fact that you could only set 2 KMs at once was sort of a drawback. The spellcasters, though, had no such restrictions. You could use whichever spell you wanted, and have them start casting it right away. The battle would only pause for the spell's animation (something REALLY annoying for the longer spells... why didn't they have an option for turning off spell animations?). And the AI was not too bad either, although sometimes your characters would get stuck in weird loops. Oh well, overall, the best battle system I've ever used.
The Skill System. In my mind, this is what makes SO2 *REALLY* stand out. The skill system in this game is massive. The skills are divided into four categories, with three levels each. You must purchase skill sets for your party before you can use them. When you level up, you get skill points, which you can allocate to whatever skills you want. Some of the skills increase your stats, some are used purely for item creation. The best thing is that you control the direction your character progresses. Want your fighters to be better at customizing their weapons? Do it. Want your whole party to focus on blacksmithing better weapons and armor? Go ahead. Which brings me to a related topic...
The Item Creation System. When you gain levels in certain combinations of skills, you unlock Specialties, otherwise known as item creation feats. These include such things as Alchemy, Cooking, Machinery, Compounding, Musical Talent, Identify, and many others. These alone would be great enough, because you can buy the raw materials to make some truly awesome items. But even better, when enough of your party members attain enough levels in certain Specialties, you unlock Super Specialties. These are item creation feats in which your whole party gets together to create or modify items; they include Blacksmith, Orchestra, Reverse Side (basically, counterfeiting), Come On Bunny (calls a giant bunny to ride around on), and others. The true majesty of SO2 is not realized until you learn to master the skill system and item creation.

For these, and many other reasons that become apparent when you play the game, I choose Star Ocean: The Second Story as my Most Original Game.wow...i couldn't of said it better myself. Amen to that!

nintendo/zelda=isTHEbest
07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
zelda because of the storyline and the coolness..

Kyuubi Naruto
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
The most original game I can think of...well,there's Okami,Katamari Damacy,and Nintendogs.Also,games for the Wii are techincally sure to be original in some way.

lex__luthor
07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
i say mario it was what started the gaming fad plus they have tons and tons of them

Taveren_Wolf
07-07-2006, 02:03 AM
The most original game I can think of...well,there's Okami,Katamari Damacy,and Nintendogs.Also,games for the Wii are techincally sure to be original in some way.
Katamari Damacy is extremely original. Dancing pandas, rainbows and other random stuff. My brother loves the game because it is downright funny

Music Fiend
07-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Katamari Damacy - Ha, rolling people, houses, and blocky cats into giant balls sounds pretty original to me!

Beyond Good and Evil - Jade has a pig uncle, the humore is very...strange, and she takes pics of government conspiracies. Awesome.

Viewtiful Joe - A movie geek (with a girlfriend!!!) get's sucked into his favorite Captain Blue flick. Yeah, and then he gets to kick major monster booty, as he searches for his woman. All in beautiful cel-shaded worlds. Sweet.