PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions on Wapanese!

VRini87
08-07-2005, 06:14 AM
I couldn't figure out where to place this thread, but it probably belongs in Miscellaneous when I think about it. Real sorry.

I've known about these people obsessed w/ Japanese culture for a while, but I've never known the name for them (Wapanese or wannabe Japanese). So, I looked this stuff up on a certain website (Won't say the name cuz of advertising rules). Anywho, some of the things said were inacurate and some were just way too funny. So, what do you guys think of the Wapanese. I've actually met some and they really annoy me. I think like possessing three of the below qualities indicates a Wapanese. Read the indicators below and tell me what you think of those wacky Wapanese. or talk of your encounters w/ Wapanese.

"Indicators of a Wapanese"

1) The Wapanese will try to learn Japanese, but they won't take a class or an online course. They'll attempt to learn Japanese by watching anime, and they will use a word or a phrase they've learned w/ english (this is called Japanglish.

2) Will argue that Japan is superior to any other culture (including their own) although most Wapanese have never visited Japan themselves. Additionally, the Wapanese tend to believe that they are experts on Japanese culture, although they probably no little about Japanese history other than that found in anime.

3) The Wapanese will buy untranslated anime, and attempt to translate it themselves. Or, simply watch untranslated anime to "learn" Japanese.

4)A social misfit who wasn't accepted by his/her own culture, so the individual attempts to find refuge in the Japanese culture. Ironically, it is highly unlikely that the Japanese that the Wapanese openly embraces would return these strong feelings.

5) Butchers the Japanese language.

6) Has an unhealthy obsession with anime. Usually acts very elitest at cosplay conventions.

7) Only listen to Japanese and labels other forms of music as crap. However, the Wapanese mainly listen to Japanese pop which may be very similar to American pop.

8) May only date Asian girls/guys.

umi-chan
08-07-2005, 03:03 PM
oh dear now that is funny, i;ve only done one of them...sort of...by trying to learn japanese, but i took a class!

Vagary
08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Hahaha! That's pretty funny! The last part is true about me though. Asian guys are my weakness....

Regex
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Aye, to Misc it goes.