PDA

View Full Version : Anime Rip-offs

Shizzy
08-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Which anime do you think is ripped off another?

What are your views?

Personally, I think that Duel Masters a definate Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off.

super trunks
08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
pokemon is a rip off of digimon

Shizzy
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
That was second on my list

Gjallarhorn
08-02-2005, 10:24 PM
RahXephon is a rip off of both Martian Sucessor Nadesico and Neon Genesis Evangelion.....

MistaCloudStrife
08-03-2005, 04:50 AM
pokemon is a rip off of digimon
Ummm.. I have no idea why i'm going to do this... Showing how much I know about Poke'mon and Digimon isn't my intention but...

Poke'mon was created and executed around the same time as Digimon... BUT the game "Pokemon" for game boy, came out BEFORE the Pokemon anime in Japan... Which mean that Poke'mon is the original...

And Digimon is the ripoff... <_< >_>

Gah.... I feel so dirty after that... I shouldn't know this much about Poke'mon.. -_-

Sword
08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
RahXephon is a rip off of both Martian Sucessor Nadesico and Neon Genesis Evangelion.....Although RahXephon is WAY better than Martian Sucessor Nadesico and there aren't really that many similarities to Eva....at all and RahXephon is very good too. :awe:

Vagary
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Personally, I think that Duel Masters a definate Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off.yea, i agree. duel masters is pretty korny....

Uchiha Ulquiorra
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I think DuelMasters is a rip-off to Yu Gi Oh...I still don't like either of them though.

Raven
08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Pilot Candidate (candidate for goddess) seemed extremly ripped from Eva. Young kids training to fight in female "robots" against an unknown enemy.

DARK ANGE
08-03-2005, 03:31 PM
I agree,Duel Masters is a rip off Yu-Gi-Oh.... :<_<:

full metal alchemist #1
08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
yeah me to

paine_within
08-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Duel Masters = Absolute rip off of Yugioh.....Even though I think both are very lame...

Miroku The Cursed Monk
08-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Digimon = absolute rip off of Pokemon.....even by now pokemon has lost its cool

♣Lukydemongirl♣
08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
pokemon is a rip off of digimonyes i so agree

Miroku The Cursed Monk
08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
yes i so agree
i meant digimon is a rip off of pokemon... genius

MistaCloudStrife
08-03-2005, 09:29 PM
You're the genius..... She was quoting from someone else... not you. Haha!

And like I said before... (Nobody reads my posts.. -_-) Digimon was made after Pokemon....

lionheartghost
08-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Duel Masters bit Yu-Gi-Oh!

Shizzy
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
A friend of mine says that Ebichu is a rip-off of Hamtaro not because of the story plot but because they both have orange and white hamsters for the main character, both have female owners and there shows are named after them...

Anime^fangirl^Shenlu
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Wedding peach looks like a rip off of sailor moon. (I don't like either but hey) It's the only thing I could think of that hadn't been mentioned lol!

*insertjapanesenamehere*
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Which anime do you think is ripped off another?

What are your views?

Personally, I think that Duel Masters a definate Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off.i agree. it's sad that they made it so obvious.

Reiko Tusami
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Meh..duel masters is a rip off of yugioh and digimon of pokemon but now pokemon has gotton so boring with the constant adding of new ones....the game is boring too i mean really who wants to catch that many... and uh something else...

Miroku The Cursed Monk
08-04-2005, 05:31 PM

And like I said before... (Nobody reads my posts.. -_-) Digimon was made after Pokemon....
my bad... sorry but i was more into pokemon instead of Digimon because Digimon had a lame begining and the creatures are nothing but lame animals who talk like us

Ami~chan
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Digimon does seem very similar to Pokemon. But I've never seen either, so I would know *lies* :P

The only "anime rip-off" I've seen that was good was Outlaw Star. It was very similar to Cowboy Bebop, but it was great! Aisha ish hawt >^__^<

And yes, Duel Monsters is obviously a rip-off of YuGiOh. Even though neither of them are good.

VRini87
08-04-2005, 05:51 PM
s-Cry-ed and E's Otherwise have similar storylines. Just an observation. I don't know. The only thing that Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star have in common is the whole bounty hunter thing. Other than that, they're very different. I wouldn't call having the same profession a rip off.

MistaCloudStrife
08-05-2005, 12:43 AM
A friend of mine says that Ebichu is a rip-off of Hamtaro not because of the story plot but because they both have orange and white hamsters for the main character, both have female owners and there shows are named after them...

Obviously, your friend hasn't seen Ebichu... The stories are soooo different... o.O

Plus Ebichu is like... for mature audiences only... And Hamtaro is like... G rated... Lol...

Mira Kaiba
08-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Duel Masters was such a rip off of Yugioh, it's not even funny...

Nipun
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Digimon is complet ripoff of pokemon

duel masters is rip of to yugioh

crush gear is a rip off to beyblade

SGI
08-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Virtually every mecha anime since 1980 would be considered a rip off of the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

Revolutionary Girl Utena did a surprisingly good rip off of the fashion and art style of Rose of Versailles.

Hana Yori Dango is another good rip-off stealing the very angst filled (almost psychologically disturbed) soap opera style that was created in Brother, Dear Brother (Oniisama E...).

Vision of Escaflowne is an incredible rip off of Aura Battler Dunbine (Although Tomino does it better, as usual).

And just to spite Reiako off...
Marmalade Boy is a rip off of Kimagure Orange Road. (80's anime my butt... Marmalade Boy was aired in 1994).

Sir_Twist
08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Digimon is complet ripoff of pokemon

duel masters is rip of to yugioh

crush gear is a rip off to beybladeDidnt pokemon come out after digimon?

teed
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
i agree! and there's an anime (i forgot the name) which was rip off cardcaptors sakura!!

FangerZero
09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Well time to put my 2 cents in all anime does is rip off each other. So they don't make it so obious, Shinjo and Card Captors are alike, Pokemon and Digimon, Oh heres one that's not complete anime Case Closed and Scooby-Doo are alot alike, except ones more real than the other. Yugi and Duel masters, Gundam and any other mecha heck even Gundam is a rip off of it's self,

EX Seed has 5 Gundams Wing had 5 Gundams, Seed civilian pilots gundam Moblie Suit (Amuro) civilian pilots Gundam. Their all so alike its not cool.

hmm... How is Vampire Princess Mia is like Sailor Moon but has a bit of a twist. And the .hack// Project is like Digimon and being digital. Zoids don't forget Zoids thats also a rip of Of G Gundam.

So Ladies and Gentalmen and other creatures out there with no gender is what I'm trying to say

STOP CARING ABOUT PETTY THINGS LIKE THIS AND CARE ABOUT IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND IF YA DON'T DON'T WATCH OR READ IT!!!!

red storm
09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Pilot Candidate (candidate for goddess) seemed extremly ripped from Eva. Young kids training to fight in female "robots" against an unknown enemy.
I find that questionable. True, the aspect of fighting an unknown enemy fits, but in evangelion there was no special power (EX in CFG) that the pilots needed to fly their evas.

I'd say CFG was based on the idea of evangelion, taking a few points and working them out in their own way instead of ripping of everything, which is completely not true.

A real rip-off show? Lemme think, oh yeah! Wedding Peach, a show with almost no content brought out shortly after Sailor Moon to lift on its succes.

FangerZero
09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Just wanted to say Nicely put Red Storm

Nocturne
09-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Though I haven't seen it (but hear it in the background while sisters watch it), sounds like Tokyo Mew mew (or mew mew power is what they call it here) is a bit of a Sailormoon Rip-off. I think I even heard one of them yelling out moon power...or something -_-;;

red storm
09-12-2005, 02:38 AM
If they yell moon power in the English version, then thats the fault of the dubbers, in the original there was no moon power whatsoever.

Tokyo mew mew is a magical girl anime, magical girl is a genre. That sailor moon just happens to be the most well known magical girl serie doesn't mean every magical girl show is a rip-off of sailor moon.

mastercane
09-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Well time to put my 2 cents in all anime does is rip off each other. So they don't make it so obious, Shinjo and Card Captors are alike, Pokemon and Digimon, Oh heres one that's not complete anime Case Closed and Scooby-Doo are alot alike, except ones more real than the other. Yugi and Duel masters, Gundam and any other mecha heck even Gundam is a rip off of it's self,

EX Seed has 5 Gundams Wing had 5 Gundams, Seed civilian pilots gundam Moblie Suit (Amuro) civilian pilots Gundam. Their all so alike its not cool.

hmm... How is Vampire Princess Mia is like Sailor Moon but has a bit of a twist. And the .hack// Project is like Digimon and being digital. Zoids don't forget Zoids thats also a rip of Of G Gundam.

So Ladies and Gentalmen and other creatures out there with no gender is what I'm trying to say

STOP CARING ABOUT PETTY THINGS LIKE THIS AND CARE ABOUT IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND IF YA DON'T DON'T WATCH OR READ IT!!!!

i agree totally

:awe:

full metal alchemist #1
03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
infact i think i will agree with fangerZero,nicely put( great format)

Venom Rayber
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Duel Masters was just like yugi-oh, it didn't make sense!

Gjallarhorn
03-06-2006, 05:10 PM

So Ladies and Gentalmen and other creatures out there with no gender is what I'm trying to say Responding to what I believe to be the rational part of the post:
1. Gundam redefined mecha anime back in the late 70s. It practically caused a revolution in the genre. The fact that these shows are similar is just that they are in the same genre. When you actually see plot structure and character which are almost exactly the same, you know it is a rip off (i.e. RahXephon ripping off Evangelion).
2. Case Closed (Detective Conan) and Scooby are alike. Why? Because they are mystery shows. With a mystery show based on detectives, there are only so many different plot structures that can be created and still maintain a good audience.
3. .hack is nothing like Digimon. At all. I am almost offended that you would compare such a good project to something like Digimon.
4. Zoids did not take from G Gundam at all. The only similarity is that there are people pioleting mechs in a tournament. That idea has been used many, many times, even before G Gundam came along in 1994.

Closing note: There is a great difference between ripping off a show, and being in the same genre. Anime in a certain genre have certain characteristics, which make it part of that genre. Just because characteristics are shared, it does not mean that it is a rip off.

Opinionated
03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Okay, now I have to stick my two bits in:

For the love of God, all that is Holy, and Deep Fried Chicken:

PLEASE

DO

NOT

REFER

TO

RAHXEPHON

AS

JUST

THE

EVANGELION

CLONE

I know it is. So what? All animes are ripoffs of one another!

Whoop-de-frickin'-do!

And what is Evangelions lasting impression? The craptistacular idea that now every anime has to have a 14 year old saving the world.

Whoo-hoo

Yes. The worst plot idea in history.

RahXephon stands far too well on its own as an original series. So what if some plot elements are taken from Evangelion? Writers have been doing that For EVER.

Darth Tyranus
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
The shows are nothing alike, Not in pacing or storyline and the characters could not be more different. This is just a no go.

No rip offs come to mind but it's hard to think of a mecha/space anime that wasn't in someway influenced by gundam or macross.

water_Demon_girl
03-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Pokemon and digimon.

Opinionated
03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
The only thing Pokemon and Digimon really have in common is the name. Early on, both took different directions in terms of story, charecters, and how the monsters work. They are two original series, not one that was ripped from the other.

seaturtle642
03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Personally, I think that Duel Masters a definate Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off.I agree with you all the way.

Darth Tyranus
03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Virtually every mecha anime since 1980 would be considered a rip off of the original Mobile Suit Gundam.
I call no way, while a lot of shows owe something to gundam in some way, most aren't rip offs.

Sgt Mentos
03-07-2006, 09:02 PM

And like I said before... (Nobody reads my posts.. -_-) Digimon was made after Pokemon....Digimon was made before Pokemon. Remember the little Digimon digital pet thingies? Yeah.. Those were out before Pokemon. So Pokemon is more of the ripoff. ^^;; I'm shocked noone thought of those things. ^^;;

MistaCloudStrife
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, it came out first but it flopped. VERY BADLY might I add. Then the pokemon games came out and then the anime. After this, BanDai used Pokemon as an example and copied just about everything they did to make it popular. And then guess what happened? It bacame more popular?

And you know why it became more popular? Because it ripped off Pokemon. ^_~

FangerZero
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Opinionated I've gotta agree that everybody always rips off another it's the only way to live. ^_^, sorry off key there. Think about it almost every show, anime, manga, game, in some way is a rip off of something else. It's never going to end, because we get all our ideas from movies and such. For instance I'm writing a story is it original yes and no. This story could have been ripped off of alot of things. Like Ranarok, Escaflowne, etc. there are so many things that it could've ripped from it's not funny, but yet I've dreamt of this thing since before I started watching anime and that. It's just something I've always had. What could be a rip off could really be an idea that they had and not even known about the other. So there. Sorry about the paragraph thing and sorry about putting 4 cents in maybe next time I'll put 6 ^_^

Regex
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Digimon was made before Pokemon. Remember the little Digimon digital pet thingies? Yeah.. Those were out before Pokemon. So Pokemon is more of the ripoff. ^^;; I'm shocked noone thought of those things. ^^;;This is actually untrue. While the Tamagotchi came out in 1994 or so, the Digimon spin-off wasn't released until 1997. Pokemon began in 1996 with the Game Boy RPG. Pokemon as an anime series began in 1999, a whole 2 years before the Digimon anime series.

ssj4gogeta
03-07-2006, 10:55 PM
This is actually untrue. While the Tamagotchi came out in 1994 or so, the Digimon spin-off wasn't released until 1997. Pokemon began in 1996 with the Game Boy RPG. Pokemon as an anime series began in 1999, a whole 2 years before the Digimon anime series.
Good point

Vincent Valentine
03-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Is everyone forgetting all those American shows that are ripping off the Japanese animation style? - Off the bat, I can name Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, Xiaolin Showdown, W.I.T.C.H, Winx Club, Code Lyoko... I mean, those are the real problems, right there. Don't even get me started on Teen Titans, either.

And technically, Code Lyoko is French, but moving on...

Teen Titans was the corporate battle to defeat Japanese shows with an American show that looks Japanese, and hires two Japanese pop singers to perform the theme-tune, to try and make it look authentic.

And a lot of people fell for it, too. Shame on them.

Godsown
03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
agreed

Regex
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Is everyone forgetting all those American shows that are ripping off the Japanese animation style? - Off the bat, I can name Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, Xiaolin Showdown, W.I.T.C.H, Winx Club, Code Lyoko... I mean, those are the real problems, right there. Don't even get me started on Teen Titans, either.

And technically, Code Lyoko is French, but moving on...

Teen Titans was the corporate battle to defeat Japanese shows with an American show that looks Japanese, and hires two Japanese pop singers to perform the theme-tune, to try and make it look authentic.

And a lot of people fell for it, too. Shame on them.Well, hard to say that we "fell for it" when the show turned out to be so great. As I've always been a huge fan of the DC characters, and I love the Anime style of animation, I thought it was a great mixture of the two. While I wouldn't call it anime, you can definitely see the anime influence. There's nothing wrong with that, nor can it be considered anything like a "rip-off"

Char The Red Comet
03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Gundam Seed destine is a rip-off of :awe: Z Gundam :awe: y becase Seed copys exact senes from Z

As fore the :awe: RahXephon :awe: Evangelion :awe: thing my opinion is that RahXephon thid that on purpose as a tribute to eva(eva it self is not ol that original it takes a lot from Ideon) tho bofe series are exceptionaly Good
here is a good RahXephon review that explains everyting pretty well http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/rahxephon.html (ignore the odd pics on that review)

Opinionated
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Digimon and Pokemon are not ripoffs of the other. They only have the name and their usage of "monsters" in common. As I said before, they took widely, WIDELY, divergent paths in terms of charecter development, story, and combat. While Pokemon remained the same for the entire of its series, Digimon became deeper, focusing more on digital world/human world interaction. The only time they even faintly resembled each other was in the beginnings of the series. And even then, the differences were clearly apparent.

Also, Digimon is much better than Pokemon.

Vincent Valentine
03-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Well, hard to say that we "fell for it" when the show turned out to be so great. As I've always been a huge fan of the DC characters, and I love the Anime style of animation, I thought it was a great mixture of the two. While I wouldn't call it anime, you can definitely see the anime influence. There's nothing wrong with that, nor can it be considered anything like a "rip-off"Yeah, but it seemed so funny that the big American animation companies started doing these shows with the Japanese style, when they'd figured that all the most popular shows in the last five, ten years have been all Japanese animated.

Personally, I liked Batman: The Animated Series. I was never a big fan of the Teen Titans, but I found some of it slightly obnoxious. Like all those episodes damning Britain with that Mad Mod character. If that's what America still thinks Britain is like, they should come over here and take a look. That character, and the episode, was completely damning of the British. I can't believe Roger Daltrey was actually part of it.

We're not tea-drinking, eccentric people with posh/cockney accents. That's a load of garbage.

Plus, the Justice League would totally own the Teen Titans. That's a fact.

Blade08
03-09-2006, 09:27 AM
there are so many rip-offs in this world that it is starting to get on my nerves:curses:

Angeleon1
03-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Duel Masters = Absolute rip off of Yugioh.....Even though I think both are very lame...
This is something even I can agree with! Even though I do play the card games every once-in-a-while, the shows just plain sucked...how are you going to have an anime about a card game??????

Regex
03-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Like all those episodes damning Britain with that Mad Mod character. If that's what America still thinks Britain is like, they should come over here and take a look. That character, and the episode, was completely damning of the British. I can't believe Roger Daltrey was actually part of it.

We're not tea-drinking, eccentric people with posh/cockney accents. That's a load of garbage.

Plus, the Justice League would totally own the Teen Titans. That's a fact.I don't think anyone truly believes that about Britain. If you watch the rest of the series without a biased point of view, you see they exaggerate just about every stereotype out there with some villain or another. My favorite example of this was when Control Freak was trying to get information about the Teen Titans from chat rooms and message boards, and all the Internet chat room nerds acted like all the most extreme cases that you see here.

And the Justice League would win, but that's only because they have Batman. Batman can beat ANYONE.

_allismine_
03-09-2006, 05:02 PM
FINALLY someone who CARES!! I've labeled those phonies "American Anime", and in respect to TRUE anime, vowed never to watch them. Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi's another one.
Here's a few warning signs for "American Anime" I've found.
If the character's lips move with the words, even a bit, it's American.
If random credits show up AFTER the show stars, it's American.

Vincent Valentine
03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't think anyone truly believes that about Britain. If you watch the rest of the series without a biased point of view, you see they exaggerate just about every stereotype out there with some villain or another. My favorite example of this was when Control Freak was trying to get information about the Teen Titans from chat rooms and message boards, and all the Internet chat room nerds acted like all the most extreme cases that you see here.

And the Justice League would win, but that's only because they have Batman. Batman can beat ANYONE.Agreed. Batman truly is -the- man! - He doesn't need no powers.

As for all the stereotype stuff, I've seen quite a few episodes on the digital channels over here. It's alright, but I was a little freaked out by how many messages about racism and minorities that Cyborg was used for. All that stuff about his body having limitations, and whatever.

Still, that Raven was hawt, at least. Proving that even an emo girl can be good company.

Opinionated
03-09-2006, 05:13 PM
FINALLY someone who CARES!! I've labeled those phonies "American Anime", and in respect to TRUE anime, vowed never to watch them. Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi's another one.
If random credits show up AFTER the show stars, it's American. OMG! Some closed minded Japanophile! Why do random credits pop up after the main theme? Because thats when people are paying attention. Why do the lips move with the words? Because they're not dubbing. If you think anime and manga refer to a Japanese only thing, you are wrong. Technically they're an art style. Agreed, some American shows can look like crap and sound like it too, but there are just as many good shows and mangas. I can list them if you want.

Regex
03-09-2006, 06:05 PM
If random credits show up AFTER the show stars, it's American.Way to show off your bigotry. The interesting thing about anime is that it's not dependent on where it came from. If it's in the anime art, story, and animation style, then it's anime. Also, I think the American directors of the anime that came from Japan would be very insulted that you don't think the characters' lips move with the voice acting, considering how much work was put in matching new voice acting up with existing animation. A lot of shows do an excellent job of this.

I have seen far more terrible anime that came from Japan than I have seen terrible anime that came from the US.

Darth Tyranus
03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
It hasn't been mentioned yet but genesis climber mospeada is the most blatant macross rip off I have ever seen. Not all that similar in plot but the mech looks like it was stolen right from macross. Which is most likely why it fit so well as the third leg of robotech.

CrazedInuyashafan12
03-10-2006, 07:18 PM
yea, i agree. duel masters is pretty korny....
Yeah that show is very dumb.

Thornwhistle
03-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Isn't B'damon a ripoff of Beyblade?

anime OG
03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
pokemon is a rip off of digimonPokemon come out in 1996 and digimon come out a year later! You got them backwards! Plus why is pokemon still playing on tv for, it is old! Take that ish off! Well in a since I liked digimon better when I was younger to tell you the truth!

Opinionated
03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
For the love of deep fried chicken, no one is listening to me. In any combination, Pokemon and Digimon are not ripoffs. They are two original series. Do not let the similarities in name fool you.

red storm
03-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Isn't B'damon a ripoff of Beyblade?
Not really, the only thing the two have in common is that they're playing a game.

B'damon is lame, anyway. At least Beyblade was entertaining to watch. B'damon couldn't even get to me one single episode