PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Notice to all AOL Users

Kaitou Ace
07-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Hm O_o'
It seems some users who are AOL members, have been reporting email from the forums to AOL as spam. This is basicaly topic subscription emails, private message notifications, secret admirer and other similar mails.

This is the height of absurdity, as every member can turn off such emails from their User CP, and they are not being sent unsolicited.

Since we are on the AOL whitelist right now, AOL sends these emails to us. So we know when it happens, and who does it. To take steps in order to minimize the damage to our standing with AOL, we will be taking action in cases where this happens.

If we get a notice that a forum member reported an email from the forum to AOL as spam, their account will be immediately suspended, email and password changed, and they will no longer have access to it. Their AOL email will also be permanently put on the forum black list for future signups, That way, they will no longer be recieving any emails from us, which is obviously what they wanted.

It's not something we particularly want to have to do, but as the people who do this are jeopardizing the forums ability to email other members of the AOL service, we do not have much choice.

_ we do apologise for the inconvinience.

Daenerys
07-04-2005, 11:21 PM
It's a pity it has to come to this... but, that's the way it goes.

MistaCloudStrife
07-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Wow.... how about the people that don't see this and think that setting it as spam in aol in order to stop it because they are forum retarded...(Not meaning that as insulting, I was a forum retard when i first started. =P)

Oh well... I don't have to worry about it anyways...

Anyways... If any of you wanna know how to stop emails about new PMs, or replies to your thread do this...

Go to your User CP(Control panel)
On the left click "Edit options"
Scroll down to "Messaging and Notification"
Go to Default Thread Subscription Mode", Click on the bar and select "No Email Notification"
And for the PMs just unclick the "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" box...

TA DA! You're all done... Now wasn't that easy as pie?

MistressPookyChan
07-05-2005, 02:50 AM
AOL has the worse spam filters ever. There were times when something was put in the spam folder and it wasn't even spam.

LadyPSerenity
07-05-2005, 07:50 AM
But we can stop this spam filter problem if users stop doing this.
Which in turn I'm just going... -bump-

MistaCloudStrife
07-05-2005, 08:07 AM
You could try not accepting AOL emails at all... Plenty of forums, websites, and gaming sites do that already... I suppose AOL emails cause alot of unnecessary trouble..

Although the forum's daily member registration % or whatever would most likely drop... Well if someone isn't even willing to create a hotmail account or something to join a forum, they probably won't even be active... Just another one of those 0 postcount registered people...

Although some people do just look around the site without posting... But thats only if the forum is locked to unregistered users... And I can't remember whether or not AF is like that... I'm too lazy to see if it is... o.O Oh well... Ehh...

Yeah, I wasn't really making sense for a bit there... o.O I'll stop now.

Ami~chan
07-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I, personally, am an AOL user, and for awhile, my emails from AF were going straight to the spam bin without me even saying it was spam! I corrected this problem, though. Many people who have put AF on their "spam" list probably did not do it intentionally; I'm absolutely positive I did not.

And yes, EVERYTHING about AOL stinks >.<

/Aifa|
07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Well over here in Australia we have AOL (Australia On-Line), so its the same deal with the Aussie one right? So they use the same filters? O_O?

Hmm, i use hotmail and it also filters out non-spam.... such as important university e-mails ><!! Oh and Mista, i dont think AF is locked to guests. Ive browsed around here at work a few times not logged in and i can even get to my journal. But i think some parts like the store is locked (obviously)

LadyPSerenity
07-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Those 0 post registered people are often there because they are using Galleries.

So just cuz you don't see them post, I wouldn't account them as nothing.

AOL is likely just America Online... we have it in Canada, and its just AOL... because it's its name... and stuff.

Anyway people are reporting the emails to AOL as spam which means AOL is adding them to the instant spam filters... I think that's what's being said.

Bubblegum Pop
07-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Thats one of the things that i hated about aol, their spam filter. But i'm glad I don't have aol anymore. I really dislike the way they filter spam.

Junior
07-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I've been wondering why I haven't been getting any mail from here. The only reason I have AOL is because we get it 6 months free, after that AOL can burn.

Ωmega
07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
i was wondering why id never get my admirers report...it wasnt even in the spam folder...maybe ill start a yahoo account or something...

Kaitou Ace
07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Ah, this isn't about the filters picking up on it, this is more about people clicking the "report this email as spam" when they get it in their AOL mailbox. That sends a message to AOL that we are spamming, which they count as a strike against us.
Thats why we will begin to deactivate accounts of people who do this.

Bubblegum Pop
07-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Still, who would do that? What members would report it as spam. I think maybe some noobies do it (no offense). But it's good to get rid of the ppl who are doing this.

Wandering Samurai
07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
I have AOL but my mail from AF has not been in the spam folder ever.

Kaitou Ace
07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Still, who would do that? What members would report it as spam. I think maybe some noobies do it (no offense). But it's good to get rid of the ppl who are doing this.
There are a few members who have been doing that. AOL lets us know whenever someone does this, and whom. Those are the people whose accounts we will have to suspend X_x because every time they do this, they hurt our standing with AOL.

I mean I've been tempted to hit the people who hit reply on the post notification emails, and send me whatever they wanted to post, but those are just annoying ^_^;; this is actualy harmfull.

MistaCloudStrife
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! People actually do that?? Thats pretty funny...

Well, I guess it's fair... You've given them a warning right now... Perhaps this needs to be stickied so everyone sees it clearly?

Daenerys
07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Bumped from second page.

LadyPSerenity
07-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Bumped from the bottom of the first page. <3

MistaCloudStrife
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Baby turn around and let me see that sexy thread go BUMP BUMP BUMP... (Was in 2nd page.)

I recommend stickying this thing... at least temporarily... ^^

LadyPSerenity
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Stickied topics get ignored ^_^; Bumped topics in the center of the page gets caught and looked at.

cblssms
07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
I HAVE THE CURE! I am and still an AOL user, and at first, all my AG mails came out in my spam folder! But I read one, and clicked on the bottom that says 'This is NOT spam' and from then on, all my mails came out in my regular ones so that I can see them! No hurt at all! ^_^V

BTW, HI BABYSITTER KAITOU! I miss you! ^.~V

Ami~chan
07-06-2005, 09:18 PM
I did the same; but yes, you have warned us AOL users, and thusforth it is our responsibility to keep all AF stuff out of the spambin.

Dyne
07-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Lucky I don't have AOL...lol

/Aifa|
07-07-2005, 03:33 AM
bump bump bumped from whatever position it was in. *tries to do a B2K dance*

Still, who would do that? What members would
report it as spam. I think maybe some noobies do it (no offense). But it's good to get rid of the ppl who are doing this.Hmmm, actually, ive been in my hotmail inbox a few late nights and since im all irritated and sleepy at that time i actually feel tempted to report AF notifications as junk since i would get about 14 e-mails from AF in a row and sometimes im just too lazy to poke around the options in the user CP to fix it. But luckily, ive never done such a thing since AF is cool, but people who think otherwise would probably do it i reckon.

I reckon notifications from AF should be set to off by default, if it already isnt that is.

Stickied topics get ignored ^_^; Bumped topics in the center of the page gets caught and looked at.
Lol, i thought i was the only one that ignored sticky ones. Kinda Explains why we get members posting that clearly havent read the sticky rules.

Sabakyu_no_Gaara
07-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Lol, I'm an aol user but I don't use my aol account for registering into things lmao.........Yeah, When I signed up I didn't think I would get that many messages but the next day I checked and Bam! 158 in a row!!!!!!! Lmao, I took the time to delete them all though, then turn all those notifications off......Why would anyone want those I wonder......Lmao, I'm a sticky ignorer too......

/Aifa|
07-07-2005, 07:07 AM
158!? thats crazy! And yeah, i agree that those notification things are kinda redundant ....but it makes me look popular when i sign in my MSN Messenger and out pops "56 New Messages" ...something like dat.

Heh, i gave it another thought and i realise that heaps of people ignore stickies *cough* anime/manga review *cough*

animeboy999(reborn)
07-07-2005, 08:50 AM
everything i get from the forum is sent directly to my spam folder...and thats the only spam i get so i know that it is from the forum...and never have to report it...because they just tell me what new posts there are...

but yes you should "eradicate" those who report it as spam...

Jakiao
07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
The whole fact that AOL picks up some of our emails as spam is a bad sign. The next step is AOL blocking email entirely which would be incredibly bad. Just consider this: We send 50,000 emails to AOL members every month; some of that is to members here and others to our clients.

Zazzie The Beast
07-07-2005, 09:26 AM
I used to have AOL but it messed up my computor and we had to buy a completely new computor. Dear AOL,
You really stink. We now have three computors and it your fault that they are usless.
Thanks,
Zazzie

animeboy999(reborn)
07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
i just set my spam filter to take out mail with the phrase "Anime Forum dot Com team" because it is in every single piece of mail that you people send out

and you can tell its not spam if you look at the senders email its always [email protected]

Sabakyu_no_Gaara
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Lol, yeah I post in a lot of threads that are pretty active....

Karel
07-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I have aol, I stop recieving e-mails from this site and into my spam folder, I didn't notice this, though I'm 100% sure I don't report spam since I hardly get any.

MistaCloudStrife
07-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Does this thing still need to be bumped? Meh-Oh well... *bump*

Kaitou Ace
07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
i guess we can let the thread fade away now ^_^; if someone asks a question in it it will be bumped, but I imagine most people who visit often have seen it now. domo for the bumping ^_^;

/Aifa|
07-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Lol, i think most people would be more than happy to just bump a thread. Free post! woo! >_> ...Anyway if anyone is getting annoyed with AOL filtering out their mail then go for hotmail. Heaps of people use it, and even if your mail gets filtered out in hotmail, you can still go to it and declare if it is actually junk mail or not.

Keitaru-san
09-09-2005, 11:47 PM
To be honest who ever spams is well nothing then a loser who can stand right people and bieng ignored(BIG LOSERS) not only you should put their email on black list make a wall of shame and put there as well as their real name if its even got any names.just ignore them that the last thing they want (or just nuke them muahhahahaha kidding)

MistaCloudStrife
09-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Umm... keitaru, I don't think you get it... Kaitou said that people on AOL are reporting AF to be spam... Which it isnt... they're automatic emails sent to AOL... And something about uhh... getting warnings or some crap I forgot, this thread was made a long time ago... =P

But yeah... its not about people spamming on AF... although its a big problem in most, if not all forums...

Keitaru-san
09-10-2005, 03:07 AM
i got one thing to say spammers are lowlife.

Sinnaku
09-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I have a pretty strange e-mail filter.

There are certain things that the system will scan, i'm not even looking at it and this 'auto-filter' can automatically consider any e-mail it wants to as spam.

It doesn't happen to everybody, I have some things set that the filter isn't allowed to look at becuase it is sending the e-mail to AOL directly.

Some things I have set to 'block automatically' are some very strict things. For one, I have set it that I can only recive e-mail from users that use AOL, Yahoo, MSN, hotmail, pa.net. So if someone uses a site to send an e-mail for example: [email protected] my filters will automatically send the e-mail to the spam folder and hand it over to AOL.

Sometimes I get a huge list of the same e-mail from the owners of www.Xanga.com (http://www.Xanga.com) so I blocked the xanga staff from sending e-mail. If I get an e-mail from them, it is sent directly to the spam folder.

If my filters are automatically reporting this site don't blame me. I'm just taking precautions from those who send an e-mail without using their LAN.
That's the main thing with sites that have a 'Contact This Person' ability. Then they send an e-mail back from what was sent through the website.

I'm very strict about this because of a spam site sent me an e-mail and I looked at it. It put a virus in my computer. I had to toss it, it was that bad.

However I did get my vengeance, the company that sent it was sued and shut down.

Sorry for my auto filters, I just don't want to get e-mail from an ISP transfering device.

Jakiao
09-10-2005, 01:19 PM
If you receive an email from us and it is reported as spam, then you violate the new policy listed in this thread. Every single email reported as spam from us was either:

"Hello, user. {member} has replied to a thread you subscribed to."

or

"Hello, user. {member} has sent you a private message."

Simply put, if you report our emails as spam your account is suspended to prevent us from being tagged as spammers. We send too much email to AOL to risk being flagged as spammers. A lot of members would no longer receive updates, nor would our clients.

And one note about you only accepting emails sent via the ISP (be it aol, msn, etc): we don't have an ISP. We are our own ISP. We own our own servers, our own network, and maintain all web, mail, and other servers.