PDA

View Full Version : When will videogames finally be "realistic"?

Nineteenth
06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I see it everywhere I go and look. " Most realistic game yet!", "this gme iz s0 real!"
Blah , blah , blah ,blah.
Yet, when will there be a REAL-Realistic game?

Apparent Non-Realistic Things in "realistic " games.

The ability to carry more things than one person ever could, without any buldges showing anywhere.
The ability to switch between those things in a matter of seconds.
The ability to carry more money than anyone could ever possibly carry.
Taking more than one bullet to the chest without a bullet proof vest on.
Time slow down, time may seems like it slows down.. But when it does it every five minutes?
Walking up to a car and just driving away in it with a push of a button.
Dying instantly when you touch water.
Taking impossible amounts of damage ( burns, samurai sword slices.. Etc) only to heal it with a small box marked Medikit.
One word: RPG-7
Hesitiation, why wait for the person who is going to do something wrong to finish doing it? Why not take care of it then?
Never ending hordes of NPCs.
Almost all of the "most realistic" games at this moment in time suffer from at least one or more of these. When will there be a realistic game?

Chouji
06-10-2005, 10:33 PM
what about the sims

Ami~chan
06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah, the Sims are pretty realisitc. But still, some of the things aren't too true to life (think the Grim Reaper coming to your house). I think that a realistic game is a game that you can put yourself into the characters position. A game that pulls you into the screen, in a way.

All the really realistic games are boring though; no one wants those!

kaisen
06-10-2005, 11:29 PM
The games with a little realism woun't hurt. like The Sims.

eruda
06-11-2005, 03:26 AM
That's what I like about video games! I like to escape form reality for a little while. And I would NOT call the Sims realistic. Not even close.

S_C_L-1
07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
This is a weird question... do you mean like it looks real? like if you were in the matrix or something? or do you mean based on real life? if we had VR helmets or something (that would b great for FPS's) maybe but video games are an escape from reality. thats why i hate the sims, if your gonna play a game about life, go live your life....

Ωmega
07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
i think itd be nice to have a game based on what we know to be true today. for example: gravity.
im tried of these games where you can jump up two stories
example: tolerance
one can only get hit so much and bleed so much before passing out or dying

S_C_L-1
07-15-2005, 12:37 AM
well it all depends really... if (in the game) your on a really small planet, then ofc your gonna jump real high... but i do aggree that not every 1 should b a michael jordon in terms of jumping... altho the acrobatics in prince of persia were an excellent idea (thank you ubisoft MTL!)

Shiryuu
07-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Some of those army games seem pretty realistic. One hit and your pretty much dead. (Never played them though)

S_C_L-1
07-15-2005, 09:21 AM
theres 1 that youd really injoy then... i think its called iron storm or something... its the hardest game ive EVER played (the kind of game that u save every 30 seconds) and it costs almost nothing (i got it for 5 bucks canadian) cuz its from a lil company

dante200100
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Personally, I enjoy games with some realism, but not too much. If games were completely realistic, then they would be boring. But games that are not realistic at all also suck. But with DMC3, it has realism, because you have your guns in your pocket or on your back, for the Artimis, it stays on your arm, and your extra weapon stays on your back.

bakakame
07-15-2005, 09:01 PM
I found that America's Army is probably the most realistic shooting game there is. you get fatigue so you can't just jump like a moron, you have 1 weapon and about 6 or so grenades, plus a knife. You take more realistic damage from a shot, medics dont "heal" you but stop the wound you recieved from getting worse, and you bleed out worsening the damage from a wound (unless the medic stops it). Accuracy is pretty realistic, you cant fire while running, you cant crawl and fire at the same time, your weapon will even jam from time to time.

Oh yea and I want a whole crapload of reaslism in my games. I mean a WHOLE CRAPLOAD here. I want it to be so real that my thigh hurts when my guy gets shot in the leg.

ElectroGypsy
07-15-2005, 09:07 PM
i like a little realism in my games. so its not like you shoot a NPC in the head five times and they are still standing, i mean, come on!!! its tottaly impossible on earth. and being abel to fall hundreds of feet and survive?

Tsuna Kadiri
07-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I like some realism in games. Not too much, though.. just imagine if you started a game that was completely realistic. You're in your house, go out into the garage, start your car (making your character actually put the key in the ignition and putting it in drive), put on the radio, pull out of your driveway, pull onto the road, press the gas petal, pay attention to the speed limits, and all of a sudden there's a drive-by.. BAM, you get shot once in the chest, you die. What a fun game! XP

... I know that was a lame example.. ^^;;. I can't do much better...

I don't think The Sims is realistic at all. It's a good game.. but hardly realistic.

S_C_L-1
07-16-2005, 02:45 AM
i know... some games are just SO unrealistic its painfull

i mean... when you unload an entire box of chaingun ammo on the guys head (while standing on said head) and die cuz the guy then notices your standting on him and shoots you once with a beretta... yeah....... thats the reason i dont play CS very much anymore.... get shot thru a wall with a 9mm? i think not!

VRini87
07-16-2005, 03:55 AM
I actually prefer unrealistic games over the realistic ones.

S_C_L-1
07-16-2005, 04:05 AM
VRini87 would u mind defining what you mean by unrealistic?

VRini87
07-16-2005, 04:11 AM
VRini87 would u mind defining what you mean by unrealistic?By unrealistic I mean platformers, RPGs, fighters. By realistic I mean shooters and the war games. I especially hate first-person shooters. I was a huge fan of the Metroid series, until it came out as a first-person shooter. Maybe it's motion sickness. People place too much emphasis on a game being "realistic," but as long as they're fun and look nice I could care less.

S_C_L-1
07-16-2005, 06:11 AM
lol... Personnally i prefered the FPS metroid (the others were a B***H in terms of controls)... altho the maps werent AS confusing...

Atomsk.
07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
I don't like realistic games. In nonrealistic games you can express more imagination and creativitey without having boundaries. But games do need some realism.

S_C_L-1
07-17-2005, 01:25 PM
wel... without boundaries, ppl south of the equater would walk on their hands and hamburgers would eat ppl (a hamburger pac-man?)

Wandering Samurai
07-17-2005, 01:32 PM
lol. In some games realism would rock but in others like in the grand theft auto seris it is good to let your mind wander and blow things up.

WhiteReaper
07-17-2005, 03:28 PM
The amount of realism in games is really dependant on the type of game.

In Fire Emblem, weapons break after being used too much, it's realistic, yes, but it adds to the strategy, as does the fact that party member can die permanently. If neither element were in the game, it would be too easy, and little strategy would be required.

That said, too much realism in games is harmful also. In Resident Evil 4, if you moved more slowly because you were carrying a full inventory, then the enemies would swamp you easily, and the game would border on unfair.

Besides, the reason we play video games in the first place is because we try to escape from realism!

Bloody KniVeS
07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
video games will become realistic in the end of time(meaning never) they always tell u the same things most realistic game ever and when u buy it is nothing big is the same as the last game u bought.

Sword
07-17-2005, 05:28 PM
How much more realistic do you want games to be?

Nineteenth
07-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Don't be so sure about that "End of time" thing. There is so much we don't know.
It's like this.
So. I'm playing let's say any game with doors.

Rather than find the key to the door, why not be able to break it down? If the door has a glass window , why not break it to continue?

Also, a little realism in weapon selection would'nt hurt either. You're kidding me when you can find several high powered weapons, just sitting in a place anyone can get them, this applies to all kinds of games except for Army-type games.

So, I open a locker in a school to find ... An assault rifle!?
In the storage room, I find... A roll of duct tape, a flashlight and.. a Handgun?!
In the children's room, behind the big ball I find.. The legendary sword of slaying!?

bakakame
07-17-2005, 10:00 PM
How much more realistic do you want games to be?
Like I said before, I want my games to be so freaking real I start bleeding when my guy gets shot. Heh, at the very least it would stop players from jumping around sencelessly and shooting like lunatics.

S_C_L-1
07-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Well... Who here would actually prefer a console with a controler over a game with a VR helmet and pressure sensors etc etc?... Lets say a huge MMORPG (since this is an anime forum, lets say like .Hack/Sing)... it would SEEM more real but you could still make the game itself more "other worldly". lets say some 1 were to punch you, you would feel a slight pressure from the suit and know it (sorta like the use of a rumble pack)... This would b much cooler then the lil flashing red arrows in the corner of the screen......... Altho this kind of technology wot b available (or affordable) until computers run on superconducters or something..... So you might have to wait 20-30 years and be the old man talkin' to youngions "back in ma day, we would have to blow in the game so that it would work or wed get a blu screen.. and did u know i invented the banana?"... Yeah....

Amix
08-09-2005, 04:55 PM
OH yeah the SIMS do have alot of realism, I just agreed because you guys thought so too..*Sweatdrop*

Krsnik
08-09-2005, 05:26 PM
The sims has no realism. There is blurry-ness in it. 19th, look for a game called "Indigo Prophecy". Pwned.

Also, the reason games aren't realistic is because THEY'RE GAMES. People play them to escape reality and have fun. You don't want to play a game about Donald Trump trading stocks, now do you?

S_C_L-1
08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
yeah... i can c ur point krsnik... a game about buying your uncle a pair of socks for christmas or something would b kinda dull... but if you could make a realistic game about the 16th century or something... that would b freaking cool!

Nineteenth
08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
You don't want to play a game about Donald Trump trading stocks, now do you?
To be fair, a few years back I was part of a "Student Stock Trading Game" where students were given "real" money to buy "real" stocks.
(Basically. . We used real stocks and real money within the context of the people running the event. So everything but the actual posession of the stocks by the playing students was real. ;_ ;)

That was quite fun. Hell. A game about an illegal stock trader with ties to an underground syndicate would be a nice idea for realistic. You screw up, you have hitmen and all these people comming after you, mess up and you get an automatic game over and your save data is marked. ( Marked as in. . (If your character was shot to death by an hitman, you cannot use the character name or body design again.)

-/
I'm going into videogame design and concept, breathe a little life into these stale videogames.

Krsnik
08-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Way to go to completely skid around my point, but thanks for trying. People play games because they're bored with reality. I really don't think you want to play a game about making pizza's, or something of the like. Yeah, pwned.

chaoscntrl77
08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't want games to be realistic. We have the real world for stuff that's real. For example, the new madden game:many new features and such and it's really real, but if you want football just go outside and play football.

bakakame
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Way to go to completely skid around my point, but thanks for trying. People play games because they're bored with reality. I really don't think you want to play a game about making pizza's, or something of the like. Yeah, pwned.
Games are good realistic. Those would just be crappy games in general.

Ultimately I like realistic games the best. Realism though can only go so far. For instance, in a fantasy RPG, you're not gonna get much in terms of realism. There are a few things you can do, but it's just not gonna work well. Other games like fighting and shooting games CAN and SHOULD be made with the utmost realism.

That's the main reason I never liked UT and stopped playing CS. All it was was people jumping and shooting like idiots, and are symultaniously having seizures at their keyboard.

Marie2007
08-09-2005, 09:47 PM
i dont care as long as it has blood in it

S_C_L-1
08-10-2005, 06:36 AM
I don't want games to be realistic. We have the real world for stuff that's real. For example, the new madden game:many new features and such and it's really real, but if you want football just go outside and play football.
if half your body was paralysed tho... then i think you would very much enjoy your madden :p

But jokes aside, there has to be a balance in video games... who would purchase/play a game where all you do is sit on ur *** and smoke a pack a day?

i think that ppl play video games because life itself is TOO realistic (sounds funny but you understand right?)... but a game thats too unrealistic is just as bad...

i dont remember exactly what game it is, but when you start to walk, it has an odd feel to it, like a rough start... at first i thought it was my comp bugging, but then i realised that it was just like when you start to walk in real life.... it was more realistic yes, but it was still a pain in the arse...

i think i made my (vague) point!

The Governator
08-10-2005, 06:42 AM
i dont care as long as i like the game:happy:

S_C_L-1
08-10-2005, 06:47 AM
i dont care as long as i like the game:happy:
deep :P

bloody spear
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
games can be realistic and not ... who cares as long as the game is good and fun

samuriagent
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Forget realism i want blood. Massive amounts of blood. So much blood you could bathe in it. Like kill bill amounts of blood you know? Those kinds of games are the best.

I_Love_Miroku
08-10-2005, 09:46 AM
The games with a little realism woun't hurt. like The Sims.
i agree

S_C_L-1
08-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Forget realism i want blood. Massive amounts of blood. So much blood you could bathe in it. Like kill bill amounts of blood you know? Those kinds of games are the best.
2 words, turok series...

Krsnik
08-11-2005, 03:46 AM
if half your body was paralysed tho... then i think you would very much enjoy your madden :p

But jokes aside, there has to be a balance in video games... who would purchase/play a game where all you do is sit on ur *** and smoke a pack a day?

i think that ppl play video games because life itself is TOO realistic (sounds funny but you understand right?)... but a game thats too unrealistic is just as bad...

i dont remember exactly what game it is, but when you start to walk, it has an odd feel to it, like a rough start... at first i thought it was my comp bugging, but then i realised that it was just like when you start to walk in real life.... it was more realistic yes, but it was still a pain in the arse...

i think i made my (vague) point!
You did, Good job, someone finally said it. Realism is boring. Realism of real people would be sitting on their butts working. Not Counter strike or battlefeild 2. It would be if you were in the Army, or a counter terrorist unit (Then you'd probably have nightmares for the rest of your life from killing people, which those games fail to have in them). But, that's not a whole lot of people in the world. World war two games aren't real, they're fictional - it was in the past, it's past historical fiction gaming. Not REAL. A REAL game would be someone flipping burgers at McDonald's and then going home to pay bills.

Ashminigun
08-11-2005, 05:22 AM
*joins in the frenzy...

hmmm... little bit of realism in game but hurt a bit and make it more fun and challenging. However I agreed on most of you, too much of realism can be harmful to the user in physically and mentally. Phsyically, if the game made like real (i.e. Matrix), the get hooked -up and keep out playing for hours until they lose track of time, neglecting their human needs and sometimes responsibilty to others. In long period, they might get insommia due of lack of sleep of staying up late to finish a game. they might get obessity due to lack of heavy phyiscal move or exercise as they stuck in their console in front of the TV or sitting in front of the comp while just moving their mouse and typing their keyboard.
Mentally, they might too obessed with the game and try to finish it to show their friends he's a total game freak. If he/she a student, he/she lost their concerntration in class and in study as he/she busy trying to figure out the way to defeat the enemy in the game. He/she might get bad grades in exam as during the time they should spend on revising the subject for the exam, he/she just finish entire game. In FPS, too much realism in blood and violence brainwash the user mind that you can kill people w/o to feel any sympathy and violence is always the solution to problem.

The point is game are made for the people to escape the reality for while and be somebody else also one of the ways vent their frustration and stress in real life. Yeah, agreed on statement by Krsnik and S C L-1, you need balance between unrealistic and realistic part of a game

'nough said...

DuhWhatsAUserName
08-11-2005, 05:25 AM
my cuzz did a glitch on the sims and made the girl do realy stupid stuff

S_C_L-1
08-11-2005, 05:46 AM
*joins in the frenzy...

hmmm... little bit of realism in game but hurt a bit and make it more fun and challenging. However I agreed on most of you, too much of realism can be harmful to the user in physically and mentally. Phsyically, if the game made like real (i.e. Matrix), the get hooked -up and keep out playing for hours until they lose track of time, neglecting their human needs and sometimes responsibilty to others. In long period, they might get insommia due of lack of sleep of staying up late to finish a game. they might get obessity due to lack of heavy phyiscal move or exercise as they stuck in their console in front of the TV or sitting in front of the comp while just moving their mouse and typing their keyboard.
Mentally, they might too obessed with the game and try to finish it to show their friends he's a total game freak. If he/she a student, he/she lost their concerntration in class and in study as he/she busy trying to figure out the way to defeat the enemy in the game. He/she might get bad grades in exam as during the time they should spend on revising the subject for the exam, he/she just finish entire game. In FPS, too much realism in blood and violence brainwash the user mind that you can kill people w/o to feel any sympathy and violence is always the solution to problem.

The point is game are made for the people to escape the reality for while and be somebody else also one of the ways vent their frustration and stress in real life. Yeah, agreed on statement by Krsnik and S C L-1, you need balance between unrealistic and realistic part of a game

'nough said...
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up!

my cuzz did a glitch on the sims and made the girl do realy stupid stuff Can we say spam?

bakakame
08-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Ok, there seems to be some differing views of what "realism in games" is.

I see realism as the ability for someone to play the game and when something happens say "ok, that made sence" or "I can see that as possible"

I think the point here is its realism IN games. Not games based on real life.

Mugetsu
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
No game will ever be truly realistic. It's impossible to program all the little details of life into a video game. I would not want to play a game that was too realistic anyway. If your gonna do that you may as well just go outside or tape your own life. Imagine if Solid snake was thinking about his car payments while fighting Metal Gear. Do you really want to see Ryu signing disclaimer forms before fighting Ken in Streetfighter? Some realism is good here & there, but the whole point of video games is that they are not real. They are a fantasy. But it is kind of annoying sometimes when they do things that make no sense. I can kill a dragon but i cant swim in 5 feet of water??? That's just dumb.

S_C_L-1
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
No game will ever be truly realistic. It's impossible to program all the little details of life into a video game. I would not want to play a game that was too realistic anyway. If your gonna do that you may as well just go outside or tape your own life. Imagine if Solid snake was thinking about his car payments while fighting Metal Gear. Do you really want to see Ryu signing disclaimer forms before fighting Ken in Streetfighter? Some realism is good here & there, but the whole point of video games is that they are not real. They are a fantasy. But it is kind of annoying sometimes when they do things that make no sense. I can kill a dragon but i cant swim in 5 feet of water??? That's just dumb.
impossible you say? but what if you were already in 1!? maybe this life is nothing but a big VG based on a much bigger existance? *whistles X-files theme* "there is no spoon"

wave master
08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
i usualy dont care if i like the game then i like it!! as simple as that!:D

Shido Tatsuhiko
08-11-2005, 01:33 PM
I only want play games with a fine history(like zelda) and a good game play

.Lovebeat
08-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Another poll that was closed *sigh*
Back to topic...
A little realism here and there would'nt hurt
But I don't complain, I like the video games!! ^^

Isunamaru
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
eh....why would you want them to be "realistic".... i mean a little realism wouldn't hurt,
but if they become "too realistic" then you they'd start to become the boring drudgery that life commonly is.... Video games are meant to be somewhat realistic...however too much realism will only reflect our current existance and make them pointless....

Krsnik
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
That made me laugh (A previous post). Look at what i started. I feel proud. I agree with the person who said it was based on perception, and what you think of realism in games is. If part of life was incorperated, that's realism. If you see similarities from the game in real life, that's realism. There's always two sides to a card.

The true point of realism is for gamers to IDENTIFY with the game - it helps sales, because it becomes popular. Take World of Warcraft - Massive community, lots of interaction. You have to go do something insane to get a really good item. The real world, you have to do something insane to get a million dollars, or go on a show. It helps them coax with real life problems. Take Halo 1&2, people identify with the Master Cheif because he's just shooting stuff up like in Postal, but they're aliens.

I hope...i made my point, it was vague, and it hopped around a lot.

S_C_L-1
08-12-2005, 01:11 AM
eh....why would you want them to be "realistic".... i mean a little realism wouldn't hurt,
but if they become "too realistic" then you they'd start to become the boring drudgery that life commonly is.... Video games are meant to be somewhat realistic...however too much realism will only reflect our current existance and make them pointless....
that very same argument has made me question the success of the sims ever since it came out...

MistaCloudStrife
08-12-2005, 02:17 AM
If you wanna playt eh most realistic games go back to the Nintendo where (in alot of games) you get hit once and die and you have to start all over because there are no saves...

Play those and then you'll know why they make games a bit unrealistic.... Its because people complain about how they die so fast, "How come one hit and I'm dead?" "How come I can only carry a couple of weapons?"

Geez... really, you should try thinking into things a little bit and you can find the answer yourself, without others having to tell you it...

red storm
08-12-2005, 06:29 AM
The answer to your question?

Never.

Games are games because they are not realistic. They allow you to escape daily life and go into a world where everything -from jumping skycrapers to carying 27 swords at the same time- is possible

Whith realism, the mean not the action, but the suroundings. things like water, sky, wind, fire and how many things can be blown to bits.

The action are not and will never be realistic. It's the suroundings that will.

S_C_L-1
08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
The answer to your question?

Never.

Games are games because they are not realistic. They allow you to escape daily life and go into a world where everything -from jumping skycrapers to carying 27 swords at the same time- is possible

Whith realism, the mean not the action, but the suroundings. things like water, sky, wind, fire and how many things can be blown to bits.

The action are not and will never be realistic. It's the suroundings that will.

then tell me why i see ppl doing things worthy of "enter the matrix" in my tae kwon do class? thats one heck of an action there!

But seriously, you made a good point... theres a distinction between the 2... altho, since the title of the thread is so vague, pretty much anything is fair play...

The action in video games has to be based of something right? how 'bout real life? take the lives of a million people, take all the action and condense it, make a few characters, a story/plot, exaggerate it a bit and put it all on a cd... you now have a video game.

red storm
08-12-2005, 08:05 AM
then tell me why i see ppl doing things worthy of "enter the matrix" in my tae kwon do class? thats one heck of an action there!
People in your class survive 10 bullets in the stomach and dodge the rest?

O_o Impressive, where do I sign up?

S_C_L-1
08-12-2005, 09:11 AM
People in your class survive 10 bullets in the stomach and dodge the rest?

O_o Impressive, where do I sign up?

Well... actually, i was talking bout the stunning chain of kicks that they somehow pull off... (my sensei's spinning back kick is nothing but a blurr.... and painfull...)