PDA

View Full Version : [movie] Laputa: Castle In The Sky

MuZ0NaZ
05-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
A Movie by Studio Ghibli, 1986.
Genre: fantasy

Plot synopsis
An airship is being attacked by pirates. A girl, who seems to be kidnapped by the ones controlling the airship and wanted by the pirates, tries to escape but slips and falls.
Then a young boy, Pazu, on his way back to the mines notices a girl slowly falling down from the sky. And so the adventure begins...

Story (9/10)
The story is executed almost perfectly from beggining till the end. Even if you are an action fan you won't be disappointed - there are many fast-paced chases and explosions :)

Art and animation (9/10)
For the movie of such age, the animation quality is amazing! I've seen TV series animated FAR worse than this movie.

Sound (6/10)
The english dub was horrible. A lot was added that wasn't on the Japanese track. Even the subs were off - they followed the english dub. The music, however, was superb. Nothing less to expect from Joe Hisaishi, just it's intresting that the Laputa theme was used in Spirited Away.

Overall (9/10)
This is a true Miyazaki classic. It does not matter whether you are just a kid or an adult, you will find something enjoyable in this movie.

(screencaps and probably some edits coming as soon as I get over this goddamn cold)

Taikyo
05-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I will rate this movie as well! ^^

story: (9/10): It's very interesting that there's a race that lives in the sky. Also How the story went along...i luve the ending, its wonderful! Plus really niiice air ships and things like that. ^^

Art(9.5./10): Miyazaki did a wonderful job in this anime movie. The art is well drawn, yet of course since it's sorta of an old movie, the color is sort of not that good. ^^; But, i still luve it.

Sound(10/10): I Luve the ending them song, along with the other background music for this anime. Some of it sounds soo sad. >.<;; It's wonderful!

Overall(9.5): This anime movie has wonderful music to it. Also the art and story is very well done. So i'll give it a 9.5. ^^

MingUe
05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I saw this thread, and remembered I actually had the film, but had never gotten around to watching it, so I did.

Story 10/10
- The story was excellent, the characters where entirely believable and fleshed out. Long films can drag slightly, but Laputa was entrancing. The story flowed as smooth as hot oil.

Art 9/10
- It's about as old as I am, and I usaully hate the old style, but it was animated perfectly.

Sound 10/10
- Very nice score, not too subtle, but not over the top either.

Overall 10/10 (rounding up)
- The kind of film Disney wished they could make. I wished I'd watched it earlier. It sort of reminded me of Final Fantasy IX for some reason, maybe it was all the airships...anyway. It made feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ChibiCherrySakura
12-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmm...I remember this movie showing in Toonami one night...I really love this movie~!

Story (8/10)
It's really interesting!! Whenever someone changes the channel, you scream at them to put it back on xD

Art and animation (9/10)
I love all the animations of Miyazaki!! It's so beautiful..I could tell they took valuable time on it.

Sound (7/10)
I don't really care about the English dub...it sounded okies..I guess ^^;

Overall (8/10)
My third favorite Miyazaki movie!! Very nice xD

iloveyoux
06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
story: (9/10): its a really well-developed plotted anime =D. i cant say anymore, its just fantastic.

Art(9.5./10): I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's, although this movie is abit old, il rate it 9.5 for well drawn characters.

Sound(8/10): i like the theme >< its fabulous, it just makes me rewind the movie just to hear it. (no, im not weird)

Overall(9/10): cant explain anymore. its just 'WOW' <33

The Wing Man
09-20-2007, 02:38 AM
Story(9/10)Pretty great story and very well done for a film with so much action in it, this story is original but does take alot from classic films over the years but most movies do.The story really sets up for a great ending that makes you wanting the good guys to win, it isn't a perfect story but it is better then most anime's but you do have a master at work.

Art and Animation(8/10)Some scenes had really great animation and most of that was at the end, for the most part it looks alot like many other Studio Ghibli but it is there trademark.For it's age it is good, but I always have problem with some older looking animation and I am not a fan of how some characters look.

Sound(8/10)Not the greatest but I did like the english dub because some of the voices really went with the characters, the music was very good and the sounds of flying objects or moving objects was also very well done.

Overall(8.5/10)This is one of Miyazaki's best films and certainly is one of his more action packed ones, but the action comes with a certain love that all of Miyazaki's films have.He knows how to bring a heart to animation and that is a rare talent, there is such a classic family film feeling to his movies that make you think of the wizard of or the sound of music.This is really a special movie but the reason I don't give it a 10 is because of some the action scenes and things that are done, it comes off more like a adventure film instead of a wonderful story of dreams and imagination like spirited away does.

Still very good.