PDA

View Full Version : [movie] X

/Aifa|
05-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Anime: X: The Movie
Type: Uh... Movie
Running Time: 100 Minutes
Source: DVD, Madman Release (Region 4). English Dubbed.
Year: 1996 (2001 Madman release)

http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/rev_x1.jpg

"The concluding battle for humanity's future is staged. Kamui Shirou's destiny has been decided as he returns to Tokyo to face his ultimate challenge. The Dragons of the Heavens, ...stand ready to protect the world from the Dragons of the Earth, who embrace the devastation of the planet to bring about its purification. Now Kamui must decide which side to fight for." -Plot overview taken from DVD blurb.

Story: (7.5/10) The story to X is involving, as a simple idea of 2 opposing forces is made more interesting with good use of the characters. This is when Kamui is destined to align himself with the dragons of Heaven or Earth, while his closest friend Fuma, is destined to align himself to the side that Kamui rejects. Though the fate of the world being rested in the events happening in Tokyo does seem a little flawed in terms of the whole concept. Still, the story should interest the viewer to say the least.

Characters: (5.5/10) This is X's biggest flaw. The characters in the movie are simply not involving. The viewer simply would not care if a character were to die the next second. This is because very little info is given about the characters, and hardly any scenes are set to involve character development as this is very minimal in the film. Viewers familiar with the manga may not feel this since they know about them already, but ive heard from many fans of the manga that with all the content that was left omitted, the info on the characters was by far the most left out.

Animation: (8.5/10) The animation is great. The action scenes are fulfilling to watch, and fans of CLAMP's style of art should be more than satisfied with the effort that was made in this regard. In spite of it being made almost a decade ago, it is still pleasant to watch today.

Plot: (6.5/10) The plot moves at a fast pace, so it is very hard to follow the story if you havent read the manga series. The frequent nightmare sequences will make it harder to follow, since the viewer may have trouble distinguishing between actual events and dreams. Fans of action may find the end to be unfulfulling in a sense of a climax.

Audio: (7/10) The movie really lacked music. I guess this does set a good atmostphere for an apocalyptic theme, but i found adding music to enhance this theme wouldve made it better. On the DVD, the main menu music is a perfect example of what i mean, its a brilliant 30 second score which sets the theme for the movie before you even play it. This piece of music was probably created by Madman though since it isnt in the feature. The voice acting is just above standard, as there are some flaws that may be noticed by the viewer.

Overall: (7.5/10) This movie is mainly for the fans of the manga series, or any anime fanatic. If you liked the manga then go for it. If you like CLAMP then go for it. If you like awe-inspiring supernatural spell-binding action with the occasional sword fighting set in Tokyo then go for it. If not, then this may not be for you.

http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/rev_x2.jpg

Die Tod von Euch
05-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Story (6.5/10): It's hard to reduce a lengthy manga series into a movie, I know, but this was lacking so very much. Things were changed in ways that didn't help it. It was still rather interesting, though. Just...confusing.

Characters (7/10): Not enough time for character development on characters that so very much need it. There are some good characters in this, though.

Art/animation (8/10): I don't know, for some reason I kept thinking about how it looked like animation from the late 80s, early 90s, when it's more recent than that... And while old skool has its appeal, it came off kinda...er...not so good with this... It was still pretty, though. And the blood was fun. Oh, the blood... <3

Voice acting, music (8/10): There were voices in the sub and the dub that I both loved and hated. Overall, it was a pretty good job.

Conclusion (6/10): I give it a 6 overall because it's very pretty and fluid, but just so...meh. It doesn't follow the manga or the TV series (granted, I think it came out before the series, but...yeah). It's like a totally different retelling, and it would be confusing for people who haven't read any of the manga or seen the TV series. The ending was also very disappointing. Then again, the manga STILL isn't finished, so this and the TV series had to make up endings... >_< But still...

retro
05-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok My thoughts

I'm going to give it a 5 (AGAIN) just because its to rushed.

Story: 8/10 : Fantastic for such a film. Like i've said its rushed so it has to fit alot of story into it. Good Vs Evil its simple, but effective.

Characters: 6/10 : I don't want to give it a low mark but its just that you don't know anything about them at all, i'm always the one to want to know a little about each character but you don't have this option because you have 14 people people who die within to short a period.

Animation: 8/10 : Very sharp angles on the face & the background. No soft edges to look at. This was probaly done to make a more gloomy effect. More gothic feel.

Plot: 6/10 : What can i say, it moves so fast your trying too understand whats going on from the very start. But its very simple once you watch it once, good vs evil, end of the world act.

Audio: 4/10 : its not up too scratch at all, its just my own feeling that they made it in a rush.

Overall: 6/10 : If your a CLAMP fan its going to bit of a suprise from your normal Angelic Layer & CCS but its a nice change from what they do. But, Hey it has swords & blood! what more can you ask ^_^

The Wing Man
06-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Story.10/10 : The story was very well dona and had a incredible way of making all those confusing parts make sense. It really was a little lacking from the series and the manga. But that is a hard thing to do so it deserves 10 just for the great job they did at making it short.

Characters.9/10:I beleive that the characters are all very cool and interesting because of each of there seperate backrounds. I also liked how there powers went so well with the characters themselves.I gave it a 9 because of a short life span for most of them.

Animation.8.5/10:I really liked the animation and thought that it had a very great original look and feel to it. I do have to say that it looks kinda older then most animation i have seen.Ofcourse there are the dragons that look very very good and are impressive.The 8.5 is for the old look but i gave it that good rating for its original look.

Plot.9/10:The plot was very good and it was a very deep plot with alot just happening it did not drag at all.But it had a few good long parts like when kamui and fuma saw there seperate visions. It gave you a better idea about how fuma and kamui were meant to fight to the death. It gets a very solid 9 for its deep story and impressive quick twists.

Audio.10/10: I loved the music in it i mean it was great with the movie and the end theme song "forever love". Is probally one of my all timew faviorte songs and i think it went good with the ending. So i think a 10 is in order her but i do agree with aifa,it did need more music.I also really loved the voice actors the voices were perfect with the characters exspecially kamui.

Overall.9.5:It really should get a 10 but because of them making it so short and killing the characters so fast. I also hated how the entire movie was surrounded around the final fight. And it was only like 3 minutes long but it deserves a great rating like a 9.5 for it being well done. And that they actully did good at kmaking it a shorter version of x all togethor.

I advice checking it out because of just how good it trully is and you can watch it more then once and be entertained.

Cheza_711
07-14-2005, 11:54 PM
As someone who has never seen the series or read the manga...

Story: 5.5/10 Just because I didn't know what was happening half the time, I thought the dragon of heaven/ dragon of earth being best friends and was a very interesting idea and that pulled me in until I became confused again...

Characters:7/10 The characters were cool and had a sense of the importance of the situation, the movie only touched on the guys pasts and I wasn't exactly sure how the two (were they sisters?) women fit in...idk

Audio:8/10 sweet theme song-- gotta love "forever love" i generally like more music throughout though

Animation: 8.5/10 I'm a sucker for the old school animation!

Overall:7/10-- When I wasn't confused, I really enjoyed the story and the fighting was cool-- well done (I guess it would be really hard to condense an entire series so much)

LittleAngel
07-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, this is my rating...

Story/Plot (8/10): It was pretty interesting. The mental complexes of the characters are really...complex, and it was so sad when Kotori and their mothers died. When Fuma became a Dragon of Heaven and turned out so wicked -- he even killed his own sister -- I couldn't understand it. But I supose things happen in anime...

Characters (9/10): The characters are pretty well-developed and really nicely drawn. Their actions are also quite natural.

Animation (9/10): They're not perfect, but very good -- way better than the manga. The effects are also nice.

Audio (9/10): Quite nice. The voices suited the characters and are not high-pitched and unnatural. The music and sound effects came in great. The anime is so much better because of its audio!!!

Overall (9/10): It was a pretty good anime, but they could make it a little more clear and not so confusing. The pictures are good, plots are deep, the actions well thought off. Overall, a very good anime^^.

Nineteenth
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Here's a review for you.

Story/Plot : Three out of a possible Ten.
The plot is pretty much thrown right at you, in broken shards. You have your typical , "What is really good?" storyline.
I gave it two extra points for not screaming out " You're EVIL!" every five minutes.
Unless you're a fan of the manga, it's hard to understand the first time through. Although, if you follow astrology and fate books; You might not have that problem. It's a mixed bag.

Characters: ONE out of a possible Ten.

This is what killed it. They managed to avoid character development, although they did include an " Who are you!?" sequence with every character, you'll find that the person would'nt be around long enough to make such an impact in the story.

Sound: Four out of Ten.
The voices were decent. The Dubbing was decent as well, except all the male characters sounded as if they were being muffled by pillows while the female voices sounded as if they were taking in slow amounts of helium. Not enough to be squeeky, but enough to make you cringe.
Sound effects, were pretty decent, you could hear each squish clearly and every crumble down to the last drop. + 1
Music: Nicely toned for the situations.

Animation: 6 out of 10.
It's Clamp, it reeks of Clamp, yet the Manga was slightly better as I'm always bothered by shoulders that don't seem to move whenever a person takes a major lunge or action. Well, the amount of detail is less than the manga but that's expected. It's graphic enough.

Overall: 3.50
It's more of a Summary of all the Mangas rolled up into a Movie Burrito. A burrito that ends up giving gas to those that eat it. Recommended for those who have had read or know something about X beforehand.

Wind Angel
01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
I think that the movie X was a very good and exciting movie.

Plot: The plot was perfect with two friends having to go against each other in the end to save the world or to destory it. Most people would see this as a regular scene in any show but this was perfectly used. So I give this a 9/10

Characters: The characters were alright but need a little more work with the facial expressions. They showed no emotion barely when they got hit they would just keep a straight face or smile as they die. Who smiles when they die?
7/10

Animation: The animation was a great thing to me by the way they used to different plots for the two main characters in the end. The deaths just made me want to go :banghead: repeatedly because most died by something stupid as getting hit with a wall or something. How can you survive being thrown through a wall but die when you are hit in the head with part of a wall senseless huh. 8/10

Overall: I loved the movie it was great just needed a little more touch up on the characters emotions and deaths.