PDA

View Full Version : [OVA] Oh! My Goddess

Princess Minako
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Type: 5 episode OVA
Number of episodes:
Genre: Romantic comedy

Plot synopsis
Morisato Keiichi is left to stay at his all male dorm to take messages for the other inhabitants. While they are away he attempts to order some delivery food and in his frustration calls Dial-a-Goddess. The beautiful, yet naive, Belldandy pops out of the mirror infront of him. She grants him one wish, and he wishes for her to stay with him forever. With his wish "granted" his Sempai comes home with the rest of the boarders from the dorm. The rule of "No Girls Allowed" gets both Keiichi and Belldandy kicked out onto the street. Now they must find some place to live, and even more trouble ensues when Belldandys sisters, Urd and Skuld, join the fray.

Story (9/10)
Very well written story. It follows a nice progression and gives a small intro in each episode about why the goddesses or characters have come to the story. They provide nice conflicts that Keiichi and Belldandy must overcome, while keeping a good humor to the whole story.

Characters (10/10)
The characters are VERY well developed. Each of them have strengths and shortcomings that are lovable. From the childish Skuld to the risque Urd, there is a great range of characters. Just about anyone can find at least one character to relate to and enjoy. They each have a unique characteristic that compliements with another character and conflicts with yet another. But of course Belldandy gets along with everyone ^^

Art/animation (9/10)
Very well done, I'm not an expert in animation. ;-; But I really feel that the drawings were life-like and beautiful. I really like the settings that are there, and how the characters are drawn to reflect their personalities

Voice acting, music (8/10)
The voice acting pairs very well with the mannerisms and personalities of the characters. They match up nicely.

Conclusion (9/10)
It is a short but well written series. It definatly leaves you wanting more, but the ending leaves you quite satisfied. You're happy with the way the series turns out, and the resolution is worth the tears and anxiety that Keiichi and Belldandy put you thru as you travel through their trials and tribulations with them. The characters are well likeable, even though they usualy cause most of the problems. Its a very heart warming story that you can watch again and again and enjoy it as much as you did the first time you watched it. I would most definatly recommend this series to anyone.

Here is the Ah Megami Gallery (http://www.animegalleries.net/category/4) on AnimeGalleries.net

MuZ0NaZ
10-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Story (6/10)
The first part of OVA has pretty much no serious plot. It's just the life of Belldandy, Keiichi, his sister and the other goddesses. Such an unusual combination of characters and the contract between Bell and Keiichi is bound to make you laugh, a lot at times :) I really enjoyed the comedy/romance part of the first 3 episodes, however the last two tried to make up for not having a serious plot, and they failed, utterly. Over-the-top, cliche drama isn't something I like.

Characters (7/10)
3 goddesses and a guy in 1 house, sempais from the Auto Club, the queen and the playboy of the campus, Kei's sister...
With such a mix of characters, hilarity ensures and there isn't a single one you won't like. However, the OVA's far too short to leave you with a feeling that you had enough of them, especially when the 2 last out of 5 eps focus solely on Belldandy/Keiichi.

Art/animation (9/10)
Despite being over 12 years old, the character designs look nicer than in the new TV series, which has finished airing recently. The animation, though no CGI, is well done. While the backgrounds are not so detailed, the character art is awesome. OVA's still OVA, even if it's old.

Voice acting, music (7/10)
The tunes weren't really memorable, nor the background music was bothering me. The opening/ending are light jpop songs, not really my taste. Japanese voice actors did a good job on the series, but the english dub was awful T.T

Overall (6/10)
All in all it's nice series, just too short :( I'd recommend it to anyone seeking for a light hearted romance/comedy.

Raptor
01-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Story (7/10)
Though there is no clear storyline arc in the first 3 episodes of the series, the "everyday" life and antics of Belldandy & Keiichi as well as the other characters are enjoyable to the viewer. The last two episodes however focuses on the more serious side of the story. Even though I don't like this part, I think in a comedy series which also focuses on romance, needs serious parts like these in order to progress their characters to the next level.

Characters (8/10)
A good mixture of characters make for a great anime! These chracters such as Urd and Skuld fit nicely in the story of Belldandy and Keiichi. However as the story progresses the focus on them also declines. If the OVA had more episodes, I'm sure there would be some quality episodes for these characters aside from there introductory ones.

Art/Animation (8/10)
I'm no artist, but I see the details they have put into the characters are very good. :)

Voice acting/music (7/10)
I am not fond of their opening and ending theme. But I do like the voice acting. From the innocent to the seductive types of voice acting, they were done rather nicely.

Overall (8/10)
Even though it was a short series, it is still of good quality in terms of a romance/comedy anime. I would recommend this to people who would want to watch a not so long anime but one with a great story. :cool: