PDA

View Full Version : Anime review forum rules and review guidelines. READ BEFORE POSTING!

MuZ0NaZ
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
This is anime/manga review forum ONLY! Only reviews are allowed!

Posts have to be validated by the moderators before appearing in the forum, so don't submit the same post multiple times if it does not appear instantly.

General rules:
1. Post reviews ONLY
2. No questions like “Where to dl this anime?!?!?!?!111zomgoenone”. Just go to the nearest rental/shop and rent/buy it >_> Also, no links to illegal sites (warez).
3. DON’T TAKE REVIEWS FROM OTHER SITES. We only need your own opinion.
4. No swearing.
5. Write reviews based on the general template. (see below)
6. All reviews and comments for a series should be in the same thread, so search the forum before posting (if needed).
7. Do not forget to create a poll, not a simple thread with poll titled "Rate this anime!" with options 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
8. Don't spoil more than neccessary. If the spoiler is serious and shouldn't be read by those who didn't watch it, use spoiler tags.
9. You don't need to write a plot synopsis unless you are the first poster in the thread.
10. Use common sense :)
Rules may change without prior notice.

What you should mention in a review:

In the title box, before the title, please post the adequate type of the anime - [movie/TV series/OVA/manga]

Additonal titles, the studio, and when it aired/was completed(year) - feel free to omit any of these you don't know, I won't kill you :)

Type: TV series, manga, OVA, movie and if it's not a movie - number of episodes.
Genre:

Plot synopsis
Note: you don't need to write a plot synopsis unless you are the first poster in the thread.

Story (x/10)
Characters (x/10)
Art/animation (x/10)
Voice acting, music (x/10) - excluded in manga reviews
Overall (x/10)

Click here for an example review. (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=24117)

Give a link to the picture gallery of that anime at AnimeGalleries.net - unless there aren't any. In that case, please attach some screencaps to the post (preferably without any subtitles visible). If the first review does not contain any screencaps, feel free to take some and post it in the thread.

Some tips on how to write a review:
• Don’t write like ‘omg the plot is sooo awesome its just l33t zomg I wub it’ – clean English only. If it’s not your main language or you are not sure then spell checker is your (and my) best friend.
• Try to spoil only as much as neccessary. If the spoiler is serious and shouldn't be read by those who didn't watch it, use spoiler tags. Example:
You shouldn't be reading this:)
You shouldn't be reading this:)

• See the example review & the guidelines above on how to format your review.
• I repeat again, DON’T TAKE REVIEWS FROM OTHER SITES. We only need your own opinion.

[Wizzy edit]: added another rule
[Wizzy, 11th June 05 edit]: updated the rules
[Muz, 5th November 05 edit]: cosmetic fixes, rewording, etc.

/Aifa|
05-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Heh, btw.. i made the poll public.. is that ok? Or should the polls be kept private?

MuZ0NaZ
05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
I think polls should be kept private - will be less clutter, but it's okay even if you made a public one.

Isamu Hajime
05-18-2005, 04:58 PM
i believe the spoiler tags still exist so when reviewing, it's a useful tool to use when trying to explain something and you dont want to ruin it for everyone accidentally

/Aifa|
05-19-2005, 05:05 AM
Easy:

ignore the bold formatting

...people arent reading the rules ><'

MuZ0NaZ
05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Actually, people do everything BUT flame. It does not really matter now, since ONLY review posts will be kept starting from tomorrow - spring cleaning time. If someone decides to flame an anime by writting a crappy review, you won't see that up for long...
However, if I will still have to delete 3/4 of the new posts, I will simply ask to make it mod-approved posts only.

wizz-o-matic
05-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Ok, I've started my deleting-spree-of-useles-or-not-full-reviewed-posts here. Every post MUST have at least the review for:

Story (x/10)
Characters (x/10)
Art/animation (x/10)
Voice acting, music (x/10)
Overall (x/10)
I haven't deleted some post of potential reviews of users that can write a bit more. That goes to you Mac (your review in Love Hina), Don SGI, DarkTwilight and other not mentioned here. Pleas edit/update your reviews so they can folow the rules, tnx

wizz-o-matic
05-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Bump, got another rule:

In the title box, before the title, please post the adequate type of the anime - [movie/TV series/OVA],
tnx ^_^

Ah, and the autors of the already posted threads, don't bother to change/update the titles, for some reason the changings wont show on the main page ... I'll try to fix it ^^

wizz-o-matic
06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
*bump*
We decieded to add/merge the manga review togheter with the anime review ^^ Not offically yet xD, though, you can start posting your manga reviews here ^^
If you post a manga review, don't forget to add the [manga] before the title ^^

wizz-o-matic
06-22-2005, 03:50 AM
*bump*

Some new info ... the post validation is on ^_^ yay, no more crap posts ... but don't think we stopped giving warnings ... if you flood us with useless, crap posts, we'll still warn you! Even though the post wont be physically posted on the bords!!

Kaitou Ace
06-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Just adding a slight change to how this forum is displayed, the default view will now be "all posts" instead of "last 30 days" as this forum is an archive, and a cut-off like that seems pointless.

Princess Minako
06-23-2005, 07:36 AM
This has gotten a bit spammy, its been cleaned up. Please refrain from posting comments, or anything not directly about the rules in this thread. Any forum suggestions can be PM'ed to Kaitou, Wizzy, Muzzy or I.

The Goddess has Spoken

wizz-o-matic
07-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Key, another bump

I just want to repeat: DON'T copy reviews ... we want just your opinion ... we know if a review is copied (we have our own resources :P).

And another thing ... don't review all togheter, like anime, manga and OVAs in one post ... you must review all separatly.
Example, if one animation has a manga and OVAs, post both reviews in 2 different topics, one for the manga, the other for the OVAs

tnx

MuZ0NaZ
07-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Also, please REVIEW the manga, not just say what it is about (the plot synopsis).

-Batman-
09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
err...sorry...i jut wrote a review on Bleach, and i forgot a few things... is it ok if i just go back and edit it if you decide to use it? I forgot the anime Genre in my review, and i forgot the rate this anime poll >_< sorry.

wizz-o-matic
09-08-2005, 06:45 PM
err...sorry...i jut wrote a review on Bleach, and i forgot a few things... is it ok if i just go back and edit it if you decide to use it? I forgot the anime Genre in my review, and i forgot the rate this anime poll >_< sorry.
Ah, repost it, I left your current one in case you didn't save it ...

Edit: same goes for SilentKitty's "Zatch Bell". Please repost your review with a poll ... I'll delete them in about ... 5 days

S_C_L-1
11-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Actually, people do everything BUT flame. It does not really matter now, since ONLY review posts will be kept starting from tomorrow - spring cleaning time. If someone decides to flame an anime by writting a crappy review, you won't see that up for long...
However, if I will still have to delete 3/4 of the new posts, I will simply ask to make it mod-approved posts only.

some negative feedback CAN be usefull... i sure wish some 1 had warned me about how horrible ranma was... (I didnt like it ok?)

i think that as long as the person can clearly say WHY he didnt like it... and is done in a mature manner (criticism, not flaming!), it can do every 1 some good...

(FYI, i dont consider watching 3 episodes quite enough to pass a judgement... so if i start ranting about how much i disliked an anime... I probly watched it from start to finish... but fear not! it will be done with class :cool: )

wizz-o-matic
11-19-2005, 08:23 AM
@S_C_L-1: the main problem is the review itself here ... I don't care if you flame an anime or whatever, as long as the review folows the rules everything is good.

MuZ0NaZ
11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
some negative feedback CAN be usefull... i sure wish some 1 had warned me about how horrible ranma was... (I didnt like it ok?)

i think that as long as the person can clearly say WHY he didnt like it... and is done in a mature manner (criticism, not flaming!), it can do every 1 some good...

(FYI, i dont consider watching 3 episodes quite enough to pass a judgement... so if i start ranting about how much i disliked an anime... I probly watched it from start to finish... but fear not! it will be done with class :cool: )
Flaming!=criticism. Flaming is pretty much insulting others (the ones who watch that anime or the ones that wrote the review). Constructive criticism is even encouraged.

S_C_L-1
11-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Odd. I had posted a negative review or two... following the rules... and it was [apparently] deleted. i guess it just depends on the admin...

MuZ0NaZ
11-23-2005, 04:53 AM
Weird, I don't remember that, either it was missing something (like ratings) or it was an accident. PM me/post the review again if you can.

wizz-o-matic
11-23-2005, 05:45 AM
hm, me and Muz are the only ones validating reviews ... and I don't remember deleting any review that was folowing the rules ...

S_C_L-1
11-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Well how many mods are there for the reviews section? i have noticed some mods taking their roles more seriously than others... and others that were on all out powertrips... which is kinda sad... considering that this is a FORUM... i would understand with world politics :D

wizz-o-matic
03-14-2006, 06:06 AM
*bumpy bumpy*
Hm, no rule-things today ... but I just want to let you know ... Don't rate every single anime that you like always 10/10 ...
Hope you realize what that rating means ... it means that the anime is beyond all others, that's flawless in all aspects ... and ... as far I've watched animes, there doesn't exists a flawless one yet ...
Come on ... be objective ... don't rate 10 just becouse you like that anime ... I like lots of animes .... but they aren't all 10 ... just 2 or 3 out of them would get such rating from me.

mhm ... that's all .... need to clear a bit this thread ....

saki-senpai
07-12-2010, 04:08 AM
can we post video reviews?