PDA

View Full Version : NY & Underage Drinking

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 02:52 PM
I just saw on the news that NY is going to start really cracking down on underage drinking. If you are caught with a fake ID and drinking you will get your drivers license taken away until you turn 21.

A good number of DUI accidents in NY are caused by underage drinkers so it is the hope that this new action will curb that. (no pun intended XD)

[BlackDeath]
03-13-2005, 03:01 PM
It kinda does suck for people in the US that the leagal age is 21, over here it's 18 =P

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 03:03 PM
It kinda does suck for people in the US that the leagal age is 21, over here it's 18 =P
Where is "over here"?

[BlackDeath]
03-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Here is England, the great U of K. I just think or you age restritions are stupid though. I mean 21, and even then isn't the beer there like only 3%?

WeyrDragon
03-13-2005, 03:14 PM
lol, we havent had 3/2 beer over here in a loooong time. As for drinking restrictions, im all for it being 21, but i think they should standardize it and make the smoking age 21, or reverse it and make the drinking age 18. What really annoys me is that the underage soldiers that come home from the war cant even get a beer just because they arent old enough. I mean, comeon, he's been dodging bullets over there, give him a beer.

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 03:32 PM
lol, we havent had 3/2 beer over here in a loooong time. As for drinking restrictions, im all for it being 21, but i think they should standardize it and make the smoking age 21, or reverse it and make the drinking age 18. What really annoys me is that the underage soldiers that come home from the war cant even get a beer just because they arent old enough. I mean, comeon, he's been dodging bullets over there, give him a beer.That is true. If you are old enough to die for your country, gamble, get lung cancer and vote you should be able to drink as well. Or like you suggested, reverse it so that you have to wait to do everything at 21. Now THAT would be quite the party! XD

Black_Death: I for one am glad that they have the age restrictions and I applaud NY's stand on this. Most underage drinkers aren't responsible enough to handle it, although to be perfectly honest neither are some legal adults.

In a perfect world it should go by your maturity level since some people are practically an adult at 11 while others never mature past that age. Since there is no REAL way to measure that though I think the no drinking till you are 21 is fine.

Ninja of the Night
03-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Ya, I think what NY is doing is great. But then again I still think Prohibition was great and they shouldnt have given up on it :P

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Ya, I think what NY is doing is great. But then again I still think Prohibition was great and they shouldnt have given up on it :P
Well with Prohibition it was like everyone was an underaged drinker. Everyone drank secretly and there was no way to really control it.

People will continue to consume alcohol no matter what you do. So it's best to bring it out into the open where it can be monitored and apply restrictions to it.

red storm
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Over here in Holland kids can drink alcohol when they hit 16, heavy drinking when 18.

Problem is: I don't drink, and I never plan too either.

Ninja of the Night
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Well with Prohibition it was like everyone was an underaged drinker. Everyone drank secretly and there was no way to really control it.

People will continue to consume alcohol no matter what you do. So it's best to bring it out into the open where it can be monitored and apply restrictions to it.
Ya, im not saying we should outlaw alcohol now, that would be more of a disaster then the first time lol. But I think that if they would have stuck with it the first time, it would have eventually faded from the mainstream. People would still do it, but it would be like any illegal drug today, only a small percentage of the population would be doing it.

Too many problems can be traced back to alcohol, and it makes most pre-existing problems worse. I really think society would be way better off without it.

Tsuna Kadiri
03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm kind of glad the drinking age is the way it currently is. I mean, some kids can be extremely arrogant.. but then if you think about the kids that do take into consideration the effects of underage drinking, it is unfair.

Even though that means I won't be able to drink for another 6 years, eh.. it's just alcohol. Not like they're weapons of mass destu.... Oh, off topic. :P

I don't plan on drinking that much anyways. It's not the end of the world. And if you do decide to drink underage... Just make sure you don't get caught. ^__^

red storm
03-13-2005, 04:22 PM
We got this school lesson where we talked about drugs once, and at least 75% of the class refused to believe alcohol was a hard-drug. This is because it has been going on for so long that it is viewed as "normal"

Die Tod von Euch
03-13-2005, 04:40 PM
The part of your brain that handles judgement is not fully developed until you are at least 21. Alcohol kills brain cells and impairs judgement. Can we see why it might be good to wait until someone is 21 before we allow them to drink?

I say this, but I still drank a little when I was 19 and 20. Very little. Now that I'm 21, though, I quite enjoy my vodka. And my rum. And my newly discovered love of Zima XXX orange.

But, I digress...

Alcohol is quite bad for you, and can cause many problems if you are not careful. So, always be sure to drink responsibly. Never drink and drive. Don't drink too much (a guy in my high school actually went into a coma from alcohol poisoning). And don't become a drunkard. People can abuse alcohol just as they can abuse any other harmful substance. It makes it hard for you to function in daily life. In other words, you'd be a loser.

Ninja of the Night
03-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Problem is: I don't drink, and I never plan too either.
Good for you ^___^

How is that a problem though?

and hard or not, Alcohol is the #1 drug problem in America (dont know about Holland XD)

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Ya, im not saying we should outlaw alcohol now, that would be more of a disaster then the first time lol. But I think that if they would have stuck with it the first time, it would have eventually faded from the mainstream. People would still do it, but it would be like any illegal drug today, only a small percentage of the population would be doing it.

Too many problems can be traced back to alcohol, and it makes most pre-existing problems worse. I really think society would be way better off without it.
I don't think that it would have ended up that way if Prohibition had continued. There still would probably have been all sorts of problems trying to control alochol from coming into the States. All the issues that had happened during Prohibition would have only magnified and gotten worse.

There may be problems with consuming too much alcohol but at least there are places that can help you with that. Maybe society would have been better off without alcohol but since that is pretty impossible the only things we can do are to try to educate others about it and enforce the restrictions that come with it.

Mistress Koneko
03-13-2005, 06:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/cleo95pt/Misc/MelKittyDoublePost.gif

It said it didn't go through the first time!

red storm
03-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Good for you ^___^

How is that a problem though?

and hard or not, Alcohol is the #1 drug problem in America (dont know about Holland XD)
The problem is that I have to go over my friends trying to convince me to start drinking. Most back down after the first try, but there are those who just wont give up. It gets really annoying.

Pakachu
03-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I just saw on the news that NY is going to start really cracking down on underage drinking. If you are caught with a fake ID and drinking you will get your drivers license taken away until you turn 21.

A good number of DUI accidents in NY are caused by underage drinkers so it is the hope that this new action will curb that. (no pun intended XD)hmm... i'm pretty sure that been the way its been in Ca. for some time now... not that its actually stopped anyone...

But then again I still think Prohibition was great and they shouldnt have given up on it :P
see, major problem with prohibition(besides it simply not working) was the rise of "the Mob".
good example of ^ (Note: theres a lot there so have time to read.)
http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/mob_bosses/siegel/prohibition_5.html?sect=15

alcohol can be fun but its kind of like a gun, used properly it can be fun however in the hands of an idiot there isnt much that's more dangerous

Queen-of-Mars
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
In Texas, it is legal to drink underage if you are under parental supervision WITH their permission. If you are married before you turn 21, your spouse has the ability to give you the right to consume alcohol as long as he/she is present.