PDA

View Full Version : Two All beef Patties....

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Special sauce, pickles, lettuce, onions, cheese on a sessami seed bun....

Well Just recently I quit working at McDonalds. In fact the past Sunday was my last shift. I worked there for five years and now I've come into a new job, one that situates me in front of a computer for eight hours a day, testing a product and installing it as well.
(So yes, this means I'll be around a lot more to bug the rest of you, aren't you excited?)

Anyway, with this new job and comparing it to my old job it's quite the opposite. Now I sit in front of a computer, working at my own pace without having to rely on anyone else, where as before I stood all shift, running around like a madwoman and relying on other people to assist me in doing my job accurately.

One of the guys I work with doesn't show up, not my problem...

This topic is basically about experience and your job. Have you ever made a job switch as drastic as the one I've made, or more so?

Have you ever had a job and are you working now?

Ever worked at McDonalds? I'm curious to know how many people here have ever worked there, applied there or is currently working maybe even currently applying to work there?

And if someone has suggestions to keep me awake day in and day out, please pass them on, I'm BORED!

Mistress Koneko
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
OOOH! OOOH! I have! I have!! ( Congratulations on your Job Upgrade by the way ^_^ )

I used to work as a Starbucks Barista for a little over 3 years. I was getting fed up with it because I was literally running the store yet I couldn't get the offical title because of my "customer service" skills. :rolleyes: I was also getting fed up with the fact that I had been there longer then anyone else yet the new people who came on were making almost as much as I was -to start out with!

One day I was complaining to a customer about a botched interview for a job that I wanted and she said she was hiring at her job and she would bring me an application. I fill it out and go for my interviews with the Human Resources person and it turns out with one of the bosses of the company, the person I was complaining to. :confused:

It was an awesome day when the Human Resources person came practically running to me to tell me I had the job if I wanted. I accepted and turned around the second my old boss came down and I blurted out I was putting in my 2 weeks notice. The beauty of it is that I didn't even work HALF of that because of the Christmas holidays and the time I was already taking off for it. :laugh:

I am now in an office working for a reinsurance company. Sometimes on my bad days here I think back to my bad days at Starbucks and the second jobs I would have to take to make ends meet and think it's not so bad. I just had my review yesterday and I am doing a great job of everything according to my boss. w00t! ^_^\\//

EDIT: My suggestion to you to keep awake is music and lots of it! Also being on forums is a good way to keep alert as well. ^_~

Myrra
03-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Aaaahhh, Sissy! I worked there for 3 different corporate stores. Ga! I worked the early morning shift! 05.30- 13.00 or so 5 days a week for 3 years. I loved our regulars, but I hated the food!! Still do!

Italian_Thug
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
HA! I work at McDonalds right now! I have been on the job for about 5 weeks now, and head manager lady is talking to me about starting to train me to be a swing manager. I have done drive thru mostly, but have also done the front counter. I also did my first breakfast shift on this past saturday, and it went alright. The main reason for my working there is because it is right down the street, and I can walk there. I have to save money for college, too.

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
lol, The corporation is much better than the franchise in some respects.

I must say though that early morning shift and those regulars... yea... I wrote a goodbye letter to the store that made a lot of people cry apparently <3

Oh and speaking on working without the title. I did the job of an Assistant manager at my store but no. I was only a swing manager not making the right pay at all and working my toosh off for it.

But experience is experience I guess.

Kewii
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I worked at McDonalds for two years. Pretty much, I hated it. I found that the crew just got it from both sides. The managers were yelling at you and the customers were fighting with you.
I learned people are cranky when they're hungry.

I enjoyed going to an office after that. Honestly, it was such a relief to get to sit down. And I survived the change through the internet and music. I used to say "work hard for an hour then you can check your email". Childish, but it worked.

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Hard to work hard for an hour with NOTHING to do... lol.

But ya... McDonalds was very much like that. I'd get it from my bosses and I'd get it from the customers... then when you're getting it from both ends you wonder why the hell you're there.

Sometimes.. it was a happy day when I quit but I can't help but miss it...Five years in that place.

Alionith
03-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I didn't work at Mcdonalds but I did work at an Italian Buffet for a year doing dishes.

If your so bored at your new job you should email a friend or respond to emails that have been sent to you.
That's what always works for me when I am sitting around doing nothing exciting.

Alionith

Italian_Thug
03-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, I need the experience, but, the thing is, Im American, and live in Texas, so Im one of about 3 people who work there and speak English. That makes it really hard.

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I can believe it does. And don't get me wrong. Working as a Swing in McDonalds is AMAZING experience, just don't make a career out of it.
It can be lots of fun and it can be really stressful, I learned to roll with the punches and take things as they come.

Alionith
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Thug, who knows maybe you will learn a new language! That could be a worthy experience for sure.

kenny_killer
03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
OOOH! OOOH! I have! I have!! ( Congratulations on your Job Upgrade by the way ^_^ )

I used to work as a Starbucks Barista for a little over 3 years. I was getting fed up with it because I was literally running the store yet I couldn't get the offical title because of my "customer service" skills. :rolleyes: I was also getting fed up with the fact that I had been there longer then anyone else yet the new people who came on were making almost as much as I was -to start out with!

One day I was complaining to a customer about a botched interview for a job that I wanted and she said she was hiring at her job and she would bring me an application. I fill it out and go for my interviews with the Human Resources person and it turns out with one of the bosses of the company, the person I was complaining to. :confused:

It was an awesome day when the Human Resources person came practically running to me to tell me I had the job if I wanted. I accepted and turned around the second my old boss came down and I blurted out I was putting in my 2 weeks notice. The beauty of it is that I didn't even work HALF of that because of the Christmas holidays and the time I was already taking off for it. :laugh:

I am now in an office working for a reinsurance company. Sometimes on my bad days here I think back to my bad days at Starbucks and the second jobs I would have to take to make ends meet and think it's not so bad. I just had my review yesterday and I am doing a great job of everything according to my boss. w00t! ^_^\\//

EDIT: My suggestion to you to keep awake is music and lots of it! Also being on forums is a good way to keep alert as well. ^_~

starbucks is not that bad...?
at least its not a fastfood resturant(i think)

Alionith
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
I would think Starbucks would be the worst place out of all mentioned. Twice as many customers and still the picky 2 sugar, 3 cream... no make that 4 half cremes with 1 milk and a mix of pure milk with a freshly brewed jamaican bean finely chopped actually make that coursely chopped coffee... to go. Start moving.

All coffee shops have my sympathy.

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately it's just as bad at McDonalds.
They have the most bizzare requests sometimes...
"Can I get a Big Mac meal, instead of coke I want a shake, then instead of fries can I get a side salad, but no tomato on that side salad. After that on the big mac can I get no lettuce, half sauce, extra onions, oh and while your at it throw on some bacon and only half the amount of cheese... but don't throw out the other half give it to me on the side."

It's an actual order... a regular had it every day.

Alionith
03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
That's pretty rough too. At least now you won't have to worry about it anymore. Now all you have to worry about is how to occupy your day. Sounds like a more difficult task than a picky customer? I am sure you will find new ways to handle things, that's how life is.

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I'd almost rather deal with the screaming customers than sit here in complete silence all day... I'm sure I will get use to it but as it stands... I miss McDees... a bit.

come on people McDees is huge has to be more of you out there... hehe... war stories are fun.

My ex worked at Tim Hortons... he hated it (It's a coffee shop out here) he avoided customer contact at all costs....

Alionith
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes Tim Horton's is definately the Starbucks of Canada. I am also in Ontario.

I work in a place that deals with people and it makes life interesting. I wouldn't change it for the world, but the problem with society is they deem a person who sits in front of a desk rather than someone who deals with real stress and anxiety worthy of higher salaries. Not saying that someone working at Mcdonald's or Tim Horton's should be making millions but they definately deal with a lot more than what they are paid too. Pitty.

Princess Minako
03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Worked at Express, you know most of my horror stories.... But now i'm glad to have my 8-4:30 job m-f. I get to see ryan more and get to do what I want to do with my time, instead of working 238749238 hours a week. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I do sit more than I did but its worth it and you definatly get used to it. ^^

The Goddess has Spoken

Myrra
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
What more do you want me to say? Corporate is by far better than working for a franchise...One of the stores I worked at was sold to a franchise, so I moved to another corporate store. The only thing I liked was when we did the beanie babies, I managed to collect them all!! I loved answering the phone when we were doing that. "Beanie Baby hotline...today we have..." That's all people called about when we were doing those. It was crazy!! ^__^

LadyPSerenity
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM
oooOoo I loved the bears... the ones like McDonalds...hamburglar and all them...

Guh, I just got caught playing around...when I should be doing my work... in otherwords...nothing.

My worst experience at McDonalds was standing there getting yelled at by a customer and then turning around to have a crew walk off of the floor on me.

Answering the phone was dreaded. I was a manager and when a customer called and asked to speak to a manager I called the other manager on the floor.
Funny to do that.

kenny_killer
12-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Special sauce, pickles, lettuce, onions, cheese on a sessami seed bun....

Well Just recently I quit working at McDonalds. In fact the past Sunday was my last shift. I worked there for five years and now I've come into a new job, one that situates me in front of a computer for eight hours a day, testing a product and installing it as well.
(So yes, this means I'll be around a lot more to bug the rest of you, aren't you excited?)

Anyway, with this new job and comparing it to my old job it's quite the opposite. Now I sit in front of a computer, working at my own pace without having to rely on anyone else, where as before I stood all shift, running around like a madwoman and relying on other people to assist me in doing my job accurately.

One of the guys I work with doesn't show up, not my problem...

This topic is basically about experience and your job. Have you ever made a job switch as drastic as the one I've made, or more so?

Have you ever had a job and are you working now?

Ever worked at McDonalds? I'm curious to know how many people here have ever worked there, applied there or is currently working maybe even currently applying to work there?

And if someone has suggestions to keep me awake day in and day out, please pass them on, I'm BORED!

do you still have the job?(i still dont think starbucks is that bad...)

GFx
12-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I got my first job about 2 weeks ago, not fast food ^^. I'm working for some survey reaseach company. Yippee you have to phone people and they're like don't bother me but let's say... way more rude. It's really bad for my ego. But then I still think it's better than fast food money wise. Oh Ya I forgot... I used to work for my parents, they own a dollar store... called by my name. Such a shame. *hides in a dark corner and cries*.

Raven
12-14-2005, 07:51 AM
I think everyone should experience working in fast food and retail. (my ex. being one of those, he doesn't understand why you need to be nice to them, work with them, don't make their lives a living hell)

First job was three weeks at KFC/Taco Bell. Hated it. Stuck me on register. I never ate here, I don't know all these weird foods people are ordering! And then all the rest of the workers are practically under 18, so they are all flirting and playing around, while I'm standing around trying to console customers as to why they're waiting 20 minutes for their meal, and I'm new and don't know jack. And then drive thru! I don't know what's beeing thrown at me, so I just gave the customer whatever food was inn front of me (being their order and the next persons') woo..

then I got a job at Suncoast. Ahh, 35% discount, free junk (like the freebies and promos handed out for movies and stuff) Knowing when ALL the movies are coming out (so that I could run to walmart and get it while it was insanely cheap).
The only problem with this job was that you had to sell your soul, err I mean all this junk that no one wants, replay card, gift cards, gift wrap (during x-mas) make some reservations. and if you don't meet the quota, you might not get to work so much, get "talked to" I hated that. .and then the otakus! I like anime, just as much as the next person, but dang, use some soap. we had our own little anime corner, and soetimes the smell of smelly feet and sour milk just didn't leave.

anyways

Now I have this overpayed and underworked desk job. Sit all day in front of a fast (monitored and filtered) computer. What do I do to waste my 9 hour day? Play around here, read A LOT of online comics. Bring my personal comp, listen to my mp3's, putz around on it. Read books. (can finish a huge Stephen King book in 2-3 days, does that tell you how much time I have to waste?)
Find some hobby that you can do, surf the internet but have another window available to flip to when the boss walks in so you look like your not loafing around the internet. Write storys, draw, go easy on the food intake.
Watch your back, get a comfy chair, you know lumbar support and whatnot.
And uhh, yah enjoy!

MistressPookyChan
12-14-2005, 08:55 AM
gaaaaaaah, i remember working retail! it sucked, but I agree that it is a learning experience, for good or for worse.

When I graduated from college, I was volunteering for politicians in national elections, giving lectures to classmates about SE Asian economic development, and being an all-around political junkie. Oh, and I worked in the A/V center. Then, I graduated, left the country, was put in rural Japan, and told to teach English to little kids. It was a VERY big jump, especially the whole moving-to-Japan bit, but I enjoy a challenge. You can learn so much from life changes.

samuriagent
12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
sadly, i'm not old enough to have an "official" job, but i have a uncle who is in charge of an Eb games, so he lets me take inventory and stuff and pays me

MistaCloudStrife
12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Sorrie sorrie... I just had to pick at it...

Its... "Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun."

You got em all just not in the right order... ^_~

I would think Starbucks would be the worst place out of all mentioned. Twice as many customers and still the picky 2 sugar, 3 cream... no make that 4 half cremes with 1 milk and a mix of pure milk with a freshly brewed jamaican bean finely chopped actually make that coursely chopped coffee... to go. Start moving.

I don't think it's that bad... talked to Starbucks people all the time, they usually like thier job... And usually the attitudes of people who want coffee aren't as bad as people who are hungry and want food NOW. o.O'

LadyPSerenity
12-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Sorrie sorrie... I just had to pick at it...

Its... "Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun."

You got em all just not in the right order... ^_~

I don't think it's that bad... talked to Starbucks people all the time, they usually like thier job... And usually the attitudes of people who want coffee aren't as bad as people who are hungry and want food NOW. o.O'

This is a really old topic... o.O

I wrote it Last MARCH when I quit McDonalds....

And to tell the truth, never heard the song. =P Just know how it ACTUALLY goes on. ^_^;

ryoga-one
12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
i started at mcdonald's last week! LOL