PDA

View Full Version : Why does the goverment stick their noses in peoples life?

Bad Wolf
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
they do that alot one good example is gay marriage. why cant they just leave us americans the @#$% alone? we pay taxes and send our loved ones over sea to protect there high social rank butts and our own and what do we get? this b.s. about gay marrage and the word God in the pleadge. all this controversy over stupid stuff that has been like that for centuries. it just seems really stupid to me.

wing 7
12-29-2004, 11:07 PM
This is a testing forum, not a opinon forum.

Terra
12-30-2004, 08:39 AM
this is a testing forum?

vhinnnn
12-30-2004, 08:41 AM
how do u know its not a test i could be

Eudial sama
12-30-2004, 09:05 AM
they do that alot one good example is gay marriage. why cant they just leave us americans the @#$% alone? we pay taxes and send our loved ones over sea to protect there high social rank butts and our own and what do we get? this b.s. about gay marrage and the word God in the pleadge. all this controversy over stupid stuff that has been like that for centuries. it just seems really stupid to me.
Because they are greedy idiots. If you don't like it: move somewhere else.
There are other countries than the US you know...

Gil
12-30-2004, 09:33 AM
The government is way worse about it in other countries. I have friends living in all sorts of countries and you wouldn'tt believe how much freedom the US, Canada, and the UK have. Compared to just about every other country on earth, we're the most free.

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
The reason the government is so seemingly focused around the old ways and Christian laws is that the government was founded as a "freedom of religion" nation but based on the Christian beliefs. Because of this, many of the conservative government officials (such as President George W. Bush) believe strongly in following the old beliefs passed down through the bible. That includes pro-life and anti-gay marriage.

As much as we choose to oppose it, this is the nation we live in. With the highly likely chance of three Supreme Court Justices stepping down over the next four years, President Bush will have the ability to appoint three conservative justices. Those justices are in for life. This means that no matter what we do, the Supreme Court will be majority conservative. Any attempt to pass pro-choice or pro-gay marriage laws will most likely be stricken down because the majority of justices follow the old laws and moral beliefs.

It all boils down to: Quit complaining. We are the most free nation on the planet. You take for granted the fact that you can complain about how the government treats you. If you were in China, the government would jail you for your talks of treason against Chinese law; hell, they may even shoot you on-the-spot. If you don't like the fact that the government places restrictions on your life, then move. Leave the nation and see how free you once were here.

Eudial sama
12-30-2004, 10:39 AM
That's just utter BS. You are not free. You are more free some of countries, true, but believe me, you've got a lot to learn about freedom.

Is it legal to smoke pot? No. You can do that in the netherlands.
Can you marry whomever you want? No. You can do that in a few coutries.
Can you walk wheverever you want (including private property?) No. You can do that in Sweden.
Can you be arrested and convicted without having to present evidence? Yes. That can also happen to you in China and North Korea.
Are you entitled to the best eductation in the country, for free? No. You are in Sweden.
Are you entitled to the best medical care in the world, for free? No. You are in Sweden.

To be continued.

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Medical care and education aren't freedoms. The government has to present evidence that proves you did the act before you're convicted. I do NOT want someone just randomly walking on my property (thank god that law exists). Do I want a bunch of pot heads running around? No.

I said we have restrictions, but most of those restrictions do help us while others are open to speculation.

Also, I am being given the best education for free. I have been in school for 14 years for free. This year, I am taking four college courses and getting college credit IN HIGH SCHOOL. I will walk into college with 16 credits already obtained. In college, that would cost me a few thousand dollars; however, I received those credits while in HIGH SCHOOL for FREE. Don't tell me I don't get the best education here.

red storm
12-30-2004, 10:51 AM
It all boils down to: Quit complaining. We are the most free nation on the planet. You take for granted the fact that you can complain about how the government treats you. If you were in China, the government would jail you for your talks of treason against Chinese law; hell, they may even shoot you on-the-spot. If you don't like the fact that the government places restrictions on your life, then move. Leave the nation and see how free you once were here.
As my great friend Laurens would say: Now is the time to point and laugh. You say you're the most free nation while the goverment is trying to ban gay mariages. Down here, we don't have that problem. Why? Simple, Holland has a democracy. Granted, democracy is far from the ultimate system, but people can't just forbid stuff like gay marriage cause at least half of the people would say no and the others would ask why. So if America is the most free nation there is, why is the goverment allowed to ban things that arn't even damaging the country or the people?

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
My comments of freedom stemmed out to the Freedom of Speech. My entire post focused on Freedom of Speech. Did you not recognize that?

red storm
12-30-2004, 11:09 AM
To be onest, no I didn't.

But even if you are talking about freedom of speech, to say America is the most free nation...... no.

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 11:12 AM
American's can do anything they want with their speech. Walk up to a political leader, start swearing and screaming at them, and they are free to do so. Hold massive protests is also completely legal provided you do not cause harm to anyone. I can say and do anything I want to give out my point provided I do not hurt anyone of cause the harm of anyone.

red storm
12-30-2004, 11:13 AM
So can I down here, what makes America more free then Holland?

En Svensk Tiger
12-30-2004, 11:21 AM
They can drink mountain dew any time of the day? America is pretty free, but I think you guys think a little bit too highly of yourselves. You have freedom of speech you say? Well, what am I to do? Clap my funking hands? I don't know how often you look out the window, but there are many, many countries who also has that. It is actually pretty common now in the 21st century. Some countries are less free than america, but I assure you, many are more free.

Depends on what you think of as freedom though.

As for the question on why the goverment stick their prettty noses in peoples lives. They probably think that they know better than you how to live your life. If that is true, I cannot say.

Eudial sama
12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Medical care and education aren't freedoms.
It is a freedom to be able to rely on good social services

The government has to present evidence that proves you did the act before you're convicted. Not really. Not to you in any case, which raises the issue: How are you going to defend yourself if you don't know what you've been charged with?

I do NOT want someone just randomly walking on my property (thank god that law exists). Does that cease the fact that it is a freedom: No.

Do I want a bunch of pot heads running around? No.
Does that cease the fact that it is a freedom: No.

Also, I am being given the best education for free. I have been in school for 14 years for free. This year, I am taking four college courses and getting college credit IN HIGH SCHOOL. I will walk into college with 16 credits already obtained. In college, that would cost me a few thousand dollars; however, I received those credits while in HIGH SCHOOL for FREE. Don't tell me I don't get the best education here.
In for an example Sweden, it's not possible to buy education. It is always free and will always remain free. Private schools where you pay for the eudcation doesen't exist at all.

gadgetgirl16
12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
the goverment sucks.....they want to go after small payed ppl like us and they want to wine and complain about stupid-pointless issues (gay and other useless issues) and and make unessery laws about them, and the media loves to over rate them till we pull our hair out from listening to them over and over.......land of the free....wow....big fat hairy deal....america is sopost to be a christan nation and was founded by them....but sadly there is no God in public buildings becouse of greed of the goverment.....so "UNDER GREED WE TRUST" they should put in every penny that there is....becouse there is greed in the american goverment.....not God....

so the goverment sucks....for those who DO NOT live here....i hope you know what u are talking about.......

nuff said.....

sjøpølse
12-30-2004, 01:25 PM
How can you people decide which country is "more free" than another? With a freedom scale? A Y-shaped stick shaking stronger when entering a country more free than another? That's ridiculous. Freedom, taken in the purist sense, is either inherent to everybody, either absent for everybody. I believe it is the second sense, but that's just me. You can't do whatever you want, hence you are not free. On the other hand, you can contradict the law if you want, just, there are possibilities for you to suffer the consequences of it. But you can do it anyway.

As if the US are more free than elsewhere: how come would they be?
Most of the western countries are "equal" in freedom (I really don't like this idea of freedom scaling) and the US boasting on being the most free country is naught but pure ethnocentrism.

This idea of the summum of freedom comes mainly from the economic freedom, which, I'd like to remind you, often decreases the "social freedom", or the collective right to have the best social services.

Ollie
12-30-2004, 02:04 PM
the originator of the topic: The country is too conservative on those matters at the moment. Give it another 50 or so years, and you'll see more liberal actions.

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Seeing as I am not about to get into a political argument, I'm just going to reply to one single quote.

Not really. Not to you in any case, which raises the issue: How are you going to defend yourself if you don't know what you've been charged with?

When arrested, the arresting officer is legally required to state why you are being arrested (what charge(s)). During your trial, any evidence the prosecution has against you, the prosecutor must show the defense. That is required by law. Do not fabricate statements about the justice system just to try and make yourself seem more believable.

Don't expect me to reply to this topic any further. My philosophy: don't debate religion, politics, or morality with people that have opposing views; you wont get anything out of it besides a headache. This topic so proves that point.

En Svensk Tiger
12-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Don't expect me to reply to this topic any further. My philosophy: don't debate religion, politics, or morality with people that have opposing views; you wont get anything out of it besides a headache. This topic so proves that point. haha.. You are right indeed. If you were to discuss something with someone with an opposing view, you might have to back up your opinions with reason, proof, and facts. And we wouldn't want that challenge would we?

As for the arresting thing, tell that to the bastards in orange suits on Cuba.

sjøpølse
12-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Don't expect me to reply to this topic any further. My philosophy: don't debate religion, politics, or morality with people that have opposing views; you wont get anything out of it besides a headache. This topic so proves that point. It is probably useless to reply to this, but that statement irritates me like itching pepper mole.

Don't debate with people with opposing views? Then with whom should you debate? People thinking like you? That doesn't bring a debate really far. it just comforts the "debaters" in their ideas that what they are thinking is the absolute truth. Well, if that's so and you want to please yourself in your thoughts, right your own holy book and bring it forth everytime you encounter different opinions, read it like absolute truth and refuse any other ideas. Further, you should go around in the street preaching and trying to get more people to stick to your views so that no one will have different opinions: this way, the world would be so much better, wouldn't it? All the people speaking the same language, recycling the same thoughts again and again and again, just to avoid headaches.

EDIT: oh, looks like I was preceeded. And I made a few errors, mea culpa.

Lord Garma Zabi
12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
They have to set laws and stuff so people aren't making their own rules and living in Anarchy. And they have to keep an eye out for counterfeiters. But they should let us have our rights since this is a free country. One that directly effects me is the law that you must have insurance on your car. I think if you are careful and you drive well you don't need it. If you hit someone then pay for the damages. If someone hits you then sew them, we are known for that. And then if you get in an accident then make it so you have to have insurance. Thats my opinion atleast. :ninja:

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 04:09 PM
On a more administrative side: Please do not be rude to posting members. Being rude and starting any form of flame will result in this thread being closed. Thank you.

On a more personal side: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I choose not to get into defending my position because I know, from experience, that will only lead to challenging my statements of proof. Don't think I'm just "preaching." I am merely executing my right to freedom of speech.

Bad Wolf
12-30-2004, 08:24 PM
i regret putting this thread up its caused way to much negitave input. im sorry i made yall so angry.

Bad Wolf
12-30-2004, 08:25 PM
would eternal jupiter night please close this thread?

Jakiao
12-30-2004, 08:28 PM
There is nobody angry right now. This should be expected when threads like this surface. I'll keep it open until I see it needs to be closed. However, any forum mod could close this and I will not oppose.

Pakachu
12-30-2004, 08:31 PM
why does the gov't stick its nose in our buisness? beacuse that is the reason it was set up, to get in our buisness and help to keep things organised

why are things the way they are because this is what people have been voteing for nation wide.
if the majority of the U.S. voted to legalize weed, it would be legal,
voted for gay marriage, it would be legal.

Don't like it?
Vote to change it.
too young to vote yet?
do research to find reasons so that you can convince people who can vote to vote for what you think is right.

Bad Wolf
12-30-2004, 08:49 PM
okay thanx. im really mad at my self i havent gotten one positive response(maybe i have but i just skimed thru aand seen lots ofd negative)

Himura Enishi
12-31-2004, 12:15 AM
okay thanx. im really mad at my self i havent gotten one positive response(maybe i have but i just skimed thru aand seen lots ofd negative)

Maybe that's becuase you're more or less bashing on the country that you have lived and grown up on, don't like what the country is doing? Leave.

sjøpølse
12-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Maybe that's becuase you're more or less bashing on the country that you have lived and grown up on, don't like what the country is doing? Leave. That's a bit radical and weak at the same time.

As stated by Pakachu, if you don't like things as they are, try to make them change. As my high school teachers used to said: "You ought to stand up for your rights because no one's going to do it for you".

Thread starter: we already had a debate on gay marriages, you can check it out if you want.

Why does a government feel the need to sneak into your life: it is what they are there for (to a certain extent, of course). What I don't agree with is to base these regulations and laws upon beliefs rather than facts and decisions for the sake of everyone (i.e., in my opinion, gay marriages).

To EJK: I wasn't saying you were preaching, I was just exagerating an initial thought to a ridiculous extent to show my point. Proof by the absurd (preuve par l'absurde, in french; too tired to check if my translation is correct).

Adrian Black
12-31-2004, 12:48 AM
I hate he gov... they suck...