PDA

View Full Version : Whats so wrong about MTV

Predator
12-18-2004, 01:11 AM
I dont watch MTV very much but others say that it ruined the musical world and I find this confusing. Are people trying to say its about the music not the video? I kinda brought this up because of "School of Rock" Jack Black. "Rock was stickin it to the man. But the man ruined it with a little thing called MTV!" That was a good movie.

sjøpølse
12-18-2004, 04:51 AM
The main grudge we can have against MTV is rather that it proposes a one-sided and univocal side of the show-business and musical industry by drowning the public in one vision of "good music" (here, the pop one, the one that pays) and feeding by the same way the stereorype that only pop (here by pop I mean anything popular) is good and conditionning the public to like only that kind of music. By putting forth those who already are put forth, it deprives those who'd really need some advertisement to survive from a good way to be known and it prevents the public from knowing things they could like. Why? There has never been as much musical diversity as now but the auditory is divided in larger and fewer groups than it has ever been. For instance, you could almost divide it in two groups: those who are "pop-consumers" and those who don't. This is made so that the music reaches a largest auditory, but still an aimed public, touched with music it is conditioned to like. So an increasing group of people is likely to listen to a decreasing group of artists, which the sound and essence will be basically the same. And what some reproach MTV is that they are a tool, a gigantic and efficient tool from this.

Myrra
12-18-2004, 08:08 AM
I despise MTV because on the main channel it is anything but music television. Sure they air lots of shows now, but my god! All of the shows are asinine.
MTV lost it's way, spinning off too many other music channels (how many are truly needed?). And has in general gained itself entry onto my list of hated coporations.

Predator
12-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Interesting. So MTV is more like an advertising channel to most pop music huh? I wouldnt know I dont watch it.

Daenerys
12-18-2004, 02:43 PM
I watch MTV sometimes. I think I watch VH1 a little more though. They certainlly don't play my kind of music, but on the MTV rock channel (500 something.. I forget.) they play classic rock and stuff, it's awesome.

I like a few of the shows they have on, like I loved Real World San Diego. Frankie was such a dork. I -loved- her hair and make-up though. She reminded me of one of my friends whom I miss a lot.

I like the show "My Coolest Years" Dude, it's awesome.

goro_14
12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
yeah i dont watch it much anymore cuz they play too much rap for me, im more of a rocker then anything. They dont have enough variety of music or music videos. They dont even Have a local band/ talent search. There are alot of good bands out there but they wont show them. I really dont like some of the guess there have on there. i agree that it is one sided and all it is for is the money. does anyone know if the artist have to pay some amount or have to agree to say something to get on the show..

Flaming Child3
12-18-2004, 03:12 PM
I think there is nothing wrong with mtv but my dad hates it

Rainb0w
12-18-2004, 03:42 PM
I do not watch MTV. You LISTEN to music, you can't watch music! "Thriller" I suppose was the start of the modern music video. Many would be surprised of the extent music videos can actually distract attention from the music itself. MTV should be renamed FTV (Fashion Television) because, in my opinion that's what many music videos are all about. Manufactured teeny-pop groups with their dance routines and designer clothing. The music soon became of secondary importance "hey, lets get a close up of Nick Carter with his hair like that - great! The camera loves you! And Cuuutt!". They all come and go, but the Gibson Les Paul and the Marshall amp are here to stay!

plzjustdiept2
12-18-2004, 03:50 PM
idon't know what happened to MTV. It was once a good station. but for ppl who don't know what to watch for good music and not just shows, then turn your tv to FUSE. it has nothing but music videos. and they have this show called daily download where they show the top 10 downloads and they ive out free downloads. FUSE mostly shows rock music

Eris
12-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Dead kennedys does a pretty good job summarizing what's wrong with MTV:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/deadkennedys/mtvgetofftheair.html

plzjustdiept2
12-18-2004, 04:18 PM
*downloads song*

Daenerys
12-18-2004, 05:22 PM
DK rocks.

They don't always play rap. They play pop, hip hop, r&b, emo and alternative too.

Metaldork
12-18-2004, 07:43 PM
MTV is not cool anymore it's too Pop Culture and all, and those damn reality shows are boring, ecspecialy Real World and all that (The Real World, Road Rules, Real World Road Rules Chalenge, Real World in alaska I DON"T CARE!). It's too comercal now. The only show i watch on MTV anymore is Viva La Bam

Demon Hunter Dante
12-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Mtv Should Stick To All Music All The Time!!!!!

wing 7
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
its right the least thing on mtv is music what hell....