PDA

View Full Version : St. Lucia (Lucy)

Eris
12-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Yeah, so we have this tradition in Sweden to every celebrate Saint Lucia (a.k.a. Lucy) of Lyracuse, every December 13th. The traditional way to do this is to elect someone to "be" lucia, she gets to walk first in this sort of mini-parade like thing. She has candles in her hair (that's just stupid, i know) and is always blonde. She also has a few other girls walking behind her (called brides maids o_O), some other irrelevant characters are also part of the tradition.

Anyhow. This tradition really pisses me off. Not sure if everyone is familiar with the story of Lucia, but the highlights is that this Italian chick (Lucia) gets her eyes torn out for not marrying a pagan, and those eyes she carries around on a dish.

We celebrate this in Sweden. Seriously, how frickin sick is that?

Alyssa
12-03-2004, 04:54 PM
O_o

Sick, sadistic turn of events, ne?

That sounds like a terrible tradition <no offense> by the sounds of it. There's a lot of strange traditions out there in the world, too many to call. >_>

I'll just settle with the Crimson Butterfly Ritual Tradition in Fatal Frame 2, tyvm.
**Chomps on an apple**

retro
12-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Who's Lucia? whats the History.

En Svensk Tiger
12-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Haha. We have that one in Norway too.
Though we don't use real candles no more, as some kids had a habit of getting their hair on fire. It's a pretty pointless tradition, but so is Christmas..

At least you get to make the fantastic "Lusekatter", which are buns made of yellow dough. They taste rather good.

Eris
12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's a link with the full story: catholic-forum.com/saints/saintl01.htm

(http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintl01.htm)

Alyssa
12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Okay... and Christmas... **gasps** Don't bring that up, now I gotta go shopping again. lol

Besides - isn't Christmas supposed to be the celebration of Christ? Most kids nowaday believe more in Santa Claus, and presents are definitely stealing the show. What a sad, sad world.

I'll be waiting for the St. Lucia's tradition.
Sounds intriguing. <Notices the website.> And there it is! ^^

retro
12-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Eyes torn out, stabbed to death...

IE the legend, the eyes, eep. reminds me of Joan of Arc in a sense. obvious reasons.

National hero?

Eris
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Not at all. She hasn't got a thing to do with Sweden. Apparantly the tradition was created to replace some pre-christian traditions.

Alyssa
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
That is terrible - how strange can one person get?

To decide not to follow an arranged marriage, then to have her forced into prostitution and have her tortured, beaten, and killed. This calls for feminism! **Jots down on another book.**

retro
12-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Isn't History great? ... I love this stuff

sjøpølse
12-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Carrying eyes on a dish? Sounds interesting.
Seriously, this tradition seems a little out-dated and it celebrates something not really relevent to me, but you could try to make it more interesting. Like introduce yourself in the parade, heading towards the blond girl, carrying beef eyes on a dish and offering it to little Lucy. With formaldehyde seasoning. Doesn't that sound appetizing?

Eris
12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Not a December 13th without me crying blood. (dark red eyeliner = fun)

sjøpølse
12-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Get a big cube of ice, put some oil on it, throw a (lighted) match on it, and run around saying: I am the fire flowing out from ice!
Or better: get some alcaline product to throw on snow. This is one of the most important thing I have ever learnt in chemistry: alcaline + water = BANG!

gadgetgirl16
12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
wow...i was wondering why girls over there where candles on their hair near Christmas......ive never heard of this tradition before....weird...but verry intersting....

but whats the point on the holiday? was she holy enough to carry those eyes on a dish... x_x

Annik
12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Haha. We have that one in Norway too.
Though we don't use real candles no more, as some kids had a habit of getting their hair on fire. It's a pretty pointless tradition, but so is Christmas..

At least you get to make the fantastic "Lusekatter", which are buns made of yellow dough. They taste rather good.
.... That one will stay with me for weeks. :]

As for the holiday. Well, we celebrate Valentines Day, and St. Valentine had nothing to do with love, but that's what the holiday is about.

It's just someone's excuse to celebrate something...

En Svensk Tiger
12-03-2004, 05:48 PM
It's just someone's excuse to celebrate something...
Me, Noki, and Han were going to celebrate the official day of melons this summer, but sadly, we forgot..

Annik
12-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Me, Noki, and Han were going to celebrate the official day of melons this summer, but sadly, we forgot.. There's a "Wiggle Your Toe Day". I forgot when, though.

And don't ever mention your holiday again to me. It makes me crave water.

sjøpølse
12-03-2004, 05:53 PM
And the Day of Vanilla, on February 21.

Alyssa
12-03-2004, 05:54 PM
**Slams the Canadian Pole on the AF soil.**

And pride to the Canadians, we have what's called Canada's Day - July 1st of every year. Yup yup - but it's a strange coincidence because statistically, over the past 22 years, it had rained about 14 times for either a couple minutes to a few hours. Still, it won't scare us away - the fireworks are amazing, and I can't wait to go back to Port Dalhousie. ^^ **Salutes to the Red and White Flag**

Eris
12-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Getting a bit OT, are we?

retro
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Slams pole into soil, 25th christmas day.... REALLY!

Essex
12-03-2004, 08:11 PM
She also has a few other girls walking behind her (called brides maids o_O)
also so t3h boyz... atleast her in Norways (or where I've been o_o)

gadgetgirl16
12-03-2004, 08:47 PM
**Slams the Canadian Pole on the AF soil.**

And pride to the Canadians, we have what's called Canada's Day - July 1st of every year. Yup yup - but it's a strange coincidence because statistically, over the past 22 years, it had rained about 14 times for either a couple minutes to a few hours. Still, it won't scare us away - the fireworks are amazing, and I can't wait to go back to Port Dalhousie. ^^ **Salutes to the Red and White Flag**
wow, that reminds me of Independence Day every July 4th here in the US....from BBQs to fireworks....yea after 200 years and its the best summer holiday ever....

Die Tod von Euch
12-03-2004, 11:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I had a St. Lucia dress, and the wreath with the candels!!! I may even still have pics of me wearing it... o_O

You know...at the time, I had no idea it had anything to do with eye-gougy. Hm. That little tidbit would have made things even more fun for me, I think...

Zedekiah
12-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Me, Noki, and Han were going to celebrate the official day of melons this summer, but sadly, we forgot..
I know, I was so angry.

But let's make up to it by poking Aly's eyes out and setting her hair on fire.

On 13th of December, of course :3

Silver Ori-Kun
12-04-2004, 09:14 AM
I have an Australia Day on the 26th of January

Well, looks like it's time for me to set some Aussie flags alight

Meh..I don't care too much about how sick this i meant to be..I just like the fact that we're all talking about Sweden and Norway..
Fave places you know <3

Eris
12-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Scandinavia = Boring

retro
12-04-2004, 05:02 PM
you talk about about Norway & Sweden, what about Finland?

Silver Ori-Kun
12-04-2004, 05:03 PM
I love Finland..what made you bring that up?
Finland is my fave place in the world

Eris
12-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Finland is just like Norway and Sweden, only they speak a bizzare language which allows for 2 ks in a row.

retro
12-04-2004, 05:08 PM
just like the fact that we're all talking about Sweden and Norway..
Fave places you know <3
blind reason, Ori-Kun.

Silver Ori-Kun
12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Yes it is indeed..but that's me...sad and blind
I have to say that Finnish is a freaken impossible language

sjøpølse
12-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Indeed, impossible, or almost. Fifteen cases. Fifteen. And then you "stick" all the words of the sentence together. It is getting OT, but I like Scandinavia, and I still don't know why (except cold and ice). I'd go in Iceland or Finland. I really like how the nordic languages sound.
OnT: St. Lucia är gräslig? (St. Lucia is horrible, if the dictionary didn't lie)

Silver Ori-Kun
12-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Well be proud that you just scrambled my brain