PDA

View Full Version : Why os anime considerd to be nerdy?

Sega saturn x
12-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind im not a big anime fan by any means. Note i do enjoy some of the higher quality shows i come across. Im also always inclined to look at (the cover not inside) of an anime magazine at a checkout line. But thats as far as me and anime ever go. I was wondering where did anime get the "nerd" label? Has it always been there? Did it come about recently? So how did this happen?

Chibi-chan
12-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Ya know what? I have no clue! I have seriously never thought about that before, but indeed this is true.

a_simple_fool
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
I'd have to suggest the idea that perhaps most people who get into anime get very passionate about it, be it one particular series or numerous series and genres. Then they become very knowledgeable about it. To an outsider looking in, these traits boarder on obsession. And any kind of obsession that is not focused on sports, or cars, or clothing is usually inserted under the heading of nerdy. Take people who are into Star Wars, Star Trek, Role playing games, Video games (although now with the advent of great graphics and lots of fun blow'em up and kill'em all games this class is beginning to become very "cool")

Also there's the whole foreign aspect of it, to show that much interest in something that is not American causes some to wonder.

However, I think that with the introduction of Toonami, Adult Swim, and The anime Network along with other such networks. Anime itself is becoming widely accepted. This makes me both happy and apprehensive. But we shall see what develops.

David

Chibi Misao
12-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind im not a big anime fan by any means. Note i do enjoy some of the higher quality shows i come across. Im also always inclined to look at (the cover not inside) of an anime magazine at a checkout line. But thats as far as me and anime ever go. I was wondering where did anime get the "nerd" label? Has it always been there? Did it come about recently? So how did this happen?
Hey!!Who says anime is nerdy?I've never heard of that before?:<_<: Most ppl think that its really cool and totally NOT NERDY!!!!...Who came up with such a crazy idea?:mad:

Amazon_Goddess
12-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah I know what you mean none of my friends know that I like anime and I would like to keep it that way. It just doesn't seem like a cool thing to like, I mean especially if your a girl. Only geeky guys who still play with yu-gi-oh cards are the types to like anime. At least thats the way every one I know sees it. I got into the whole anime thing because I love to draw, and some one said that my drawings looked like anime. I cant say that I am totally obsessed, but I have cancelled plans with my friends so that I could watch the new yu yu hakusho episodes...lol. But yeah it just seems like thats the way it is, and if you dont want to be considered a dork for liking anime, I suggest you move to Japan lol.

SGI
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
The answer to that is really simple. If you enjoy something that is not sports related, it's a nerdy activity. Society says that if you do not like something related to sports, you are a nerd. And too bad if you believe otherwise.

Sega saturn x
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
First off im a very hard core gamer that being said. I think it boils down to this i think anime or video games becomes nerdy when thats all you talk or think about. On its own its not to bad but we have people who take it to insane degrees by owning thousands of games or dressing up like anime characters. I myself own 19 systems and over 300 games is that nerdy? Yeah i would say so but no one calls me a nerd because i dont talk about it all the time. I think its a good idea to have balance if you become to in to somthing and it becomes like a full time job to you your in to deep. Also i think its because for both anime and games there are big bouncing boobs all over the place and it always angers me when trash like rumble roses or dead or alive comes out.

WhiteReaper
12-02-2004, 07:03 PM
If to love anime is to be nerdy, then so be it.

I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it!!!!:laugh:

I pity all of the non-nerds!!!

SUCKS TO BE THEM!!!!!

Pakachu
12-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Because you're a NEEEEERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh, just playing.

well next time you're "looking at the cover" or your anime magazines, look around at the other people reading them. then ya might have an idea why peole think were all nerds.
cuz we are... well, cept for me.

i'm not smart enough to be a nerd.
i'm more of a dork... yeah.. definitly a dork.
^_^y

Sega saturn x
12-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Well its great you made that discovery about yourself but this thread is on how it got the nerdy reputation.

Moon Blade
12-03-2004, 01:28 AM
I think part of it lies back in the days when anime was more "underground" and harder to come by. A very finite sub-culture grew in America of those devoted to it. Many of those early people were also heavily into computers (it was harder to find anime online, so only those apt people could get it). There is also the old image of those "fanboys" who do nothing but stare at their computer/TV screens watching anime.

To see some examples, see the mock-umentary "Otaku No Video," a Japanese look into true anime geek-dom in anime and live action.

I think the label of geek/nerd is starting to fade, as anime becomes more mainstream. That label is given to those very hardcore fans who still do nothing but stare at the screen and shun all sort of real-life human contact.

This is all my opinoin, of course.

sora-sama
12-03-2004, 01:33 AM
i do not know why but why are you on this forum if you dont really like anime i mean there is no point in it

Pakachu
12-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Well its great you made that discovery about yourself but this thread is on how it got the nerdy reputation.::Falls over::
that was the explanation.
seriously, look at the people who tend to watch the stuff.
i bet about 95% of what you're going to see isnt exactly considdered to be part of the cool crowd.

anime gots a nerdy representation because of the nerdy people who are associated with the scene.:banghead:

heh heh
:: Points at saturn::
Neeeerd!!

Sega saturn x
12-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Indeed im a game nerd but not an anime nerd by looking at me you would never know my love of games. I dont where zelda shirts or any thing. But you have a good point about the people who wach it and you put it fairly good to. Just not part of the cool crowd.

Amazon_Goddess
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey! I am NOT a nerd and I like anime! But really guys it all depends on how MUCH you like it. People who go around and make it thier lives are nerds. And it is true the people you normally see who like anime, like at school for example, are what? NERDS. Sorry, but it's true.

EIENNI
12-07-2004, 06:31 PM
i like anime and i draw a lot of pics from animes but its not my hole life just most of it.

Sega saturn x
12-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Every thing is fine in moderation. Its fine to enjoy a few shows or are intristed in the art style but i have met more then one person who are just to in to it. Theis people ushaly add -son to some ones name.