PDA

View Full Version : Time traveling

shi_amai
12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Time traveling, do you believe it can be done? I'm sleeping over a friend's house this weekend because she got a book on time traveling (some other stuff too). What your opinion on it?

niKopol
12-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I've heard about it...I think time traveling would be great...so i could see what i was like when i was young and undo some of the dumb things iv'e done

SGI
12-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I honestly believe time travel is impossible, I myself see time in as a man made concept. Time really is a form of measurement and not a continual dimension that cannot be traversed.

So therefore time is an imagined concept and therefore can not be traveled down.

Annik
12-01-2004, 05:53 PM
First... I think your signature is darling.

O_o But that's not what this is about.

Time traveling, eh? It really can't be possible. There's something called a paradox. This doesn't allow you to be in the same time at the same place. It also doesn't allow you to change the past in anyway. If you change the past, the future is different; what if you changed it and somehow the thing that was different was that you are no longer born? Then, if you've never been born, then you never existed in the first place, and couldn't have traveled through time to change the past in the first place, so you WERE born.

If anything, a more futuristic form of time travel might be approached, and nothing else, really.

A great book that deals with time travel is "Lightening" by Dean Koontz.

niKopol
12-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey scientists have made a machine that can send messages back through time to itself... so its not too far off

Myrra
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Is time travel possible...theories abound on the subject. I happen to like the possibility of time travel...but to achieve it would be a practical impossibility.

Recommended reading..A Brief History in Time by Stephen Hawking. Might put you to sleep though. And he has since revised some of the theories in it.

ShadowBlade
12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey scientists have made a machine that can send messages back through time to itself... so its not too far off
what proof do you have of that?

time travel is impossible do to the paradox thingy and the chaos theory

Pakachu
12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
i'm sure that traveling backward though time is possible... forward i'm not so sure of since technicly it hasnt happened yet.

however i dont truely feel that traveling backward in time for any purpose is a great idea. could really end up messing stuff up farther down the line.

all kinda paradoxal bad stuff.
(Ooooo... paradoxal. paka said a big people word)

Annik
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
........That was a movie, sweetie.

Dakuro
12-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Time Traveling would be reeeaaaally cool, but I don't believe it can be done yet.

Variable_Gunbuster
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
I don't really think time travel is possible. But I do beleive that we can travel to the future but not the past. Time is everflowing, it's like a river always moving forward right....so what if we made a machine that moved sooooo fast that we were ahead of time itself...even by a few seconds. Also when astronauts are in space they age slower than us, but they do still age no matter what...that's another reason why I think going to the past is impossible. Of course,:ninja: I'm no Scientist so my cheap little theory is just a thought.

vhinnnn
12-01-2004, 07:36 PM
if time travel was possable you would not be able to change the past because you futer you would have already dun the same thang

Pakachu
12-01-2004, 07:37 PM
they age slower because there is less stress on the body which is resposible for what we consider to be the signs of ageing. same reason when their muscles begin to atrify(sp?)

(lack of gravity)

Variable_Gunbuster
12-01-2004, 07:40 PM
no, I'm pretty sure it's due to time. Time goes slower in space...so they age slower....I'm pretty sure but could be wrong.

shi_amai
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Maybe it is possible, maybe it's not. Maybe I'll find out friday, maybe I won't, either way, it rises good conversation, and thought. People can think what they want, but I think it is possible.

Pakachu
12-01-2004, 07:46 PM
no, I'm pretty sure it's due to time. Time goes slower in space...so they age slower....I'm pretty sure but could be wrong.
but time is relative.

sjøpølse
12-01-2004, 07:56 PM
In fact, the whole idea of Time as an ever-lastingly going forth arrow is quite typical of our western ideology. Some aborigines of Australia, if I recall, consider Time like an entity we bath in. Thus, even the very idea of time travelling is invalidated. Thence, we can ponder over the fact that Time as a line filled with events that happened and that are yet to occur, divided in past and future with that uncatchable present, might be just another blatant mistake.
Time might in fact be a big jellyish pond in which us, humans, like plastic inert dolls, are drown. Or it might just be aught.

Kyo Kusanagi
12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Personally I'd be more interested in finding out whether or not teleportation is possible, instead of time travel .....

"Beam me up Spoc!"

-LG

Pakachu
12-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Its Scotty!!!!
Beam me up, Scotty!!!!!!!!!
::runs off screaming::
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Variable_Gunbuster
12-01-2004, 08:25 PM
hahahahaheheheeee....anywho....I think the idea of invincibility would be just grand.

Pakachu
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
invinci... the FRICK are you talking aboot!?!?!

::falls over twitching::

En Svensk Tiger
12-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, time travel is possible, since we all are traveling in time every single day eh?

Seriously though, traveling in time is technically possible. It is just wrong to think of it as traveling. Time is relative. That means that time can go faster some places than other places. Time goes faster on Mars for example. Time goes slower on the bottom of the sea than it does on a high mountain. Which means that "traveling" into the future actually is quite easy, you just have to go fast enough.
If you had a twin, and you travel to the nearest star and back to the earth near the speed of light, it will only take you one year, yet 10 has passed on earth, and your twin brother/sister is now 9 years older than you.

Traveling backwards in time is way harder though, you need wormholes and all kinds of stuff. And even if you manage to do it technically, it might not work, since altering the past is impossible.

(And it doesn't seem like people will ever invent a time machine, since no one from the future have ever visited us)

But, since time is relative, time travel is possible -.-

Silver Ori-Kun
12-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Time scares me a lot when I think of it....
What if...it really is true that the astronauts age slower..
Coul that mean, that because they dont travel or orbit around the sun like a celestial body like the Earth would, that they age slower...?
Could it be that revolving around the sun is revolving completely around life itself?
What if we didn't move around it...the concept of ime would be lost...therefore it wouldn't become an issue...People count a year by the amount of time and days it takes to go around the sun...
But if we don't move, then there wouldn't be any years...it's so much..and so hard to put into words...

Milly
12-02-2004, 06:58 AM
It would be so cool to go back in time and fix the mistakes I made, and then go back forward and act like nothing happened. I have dreamed of this "time traveling" thing. ^^. I don't believe in it, tho, but I just like for somebody to create a time machine for us. ^_^

Silver Ori-Kun
12-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Well I wouldn't want it...point is you have to work on the present to make a future
Dwelling in a neverending past will lead nowhere

And my views aren't really about time travel...mainly about time itself..this stuff really interests me...heh, sorry

Myrra
12-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Well, time travel is possible, since we all are traveling in time every single day eh?

Traveling backwards in time is way harder though, you need wormholes and all kinds of stuff. And even if you manage to do it technically, it might not work, since altering the past is impossible.

(And it doesn't seem like people will ever invent a time machine, since no one from the future have ever visited us)

But, since time is relative, time travel is possible -.-
*laughs* Yes...we travel foward in time every second of every day.
The loverly wormhole theory...still up for debate. Wormholes are not stable nor are they something that can be easily created.
If we think about time in a linear fashion then time travel is highly impractical, but if we think about it as a circle---never ending, it becomes more practical. As at any point in time we can touch another point. Then this kind of brings in the idea of multiple/parallel univereses where each choice we make or don't make affects the outcome of other events changing the way...however small the world operates. Ga! My head hurts from thinking about this so early in the day
Quantum theories and the like are not my strong suit, but I'm sure you can find lots of good info at your local library.

Silver Ori-Kun
12-02-2004, 07:29 AM
My God!
No one freaken knows..but studying this stuff is my passion! it hurts like hell thinking about it! But it's so damn interesting!
I love everything to do with space and time
The stories I write revolve around all that

shi_amai
12-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Hmm... good point, but if we can travel forward in time due that we are already taveling forward in time every second, milisecond, minute, hour, and so on, then could it not be possible to also move backward in time? If at all possible wouldn't it seem sensible that you need to move faster then time to travel through it? (Ugh, that'd be too fast to handle).

And Origen, please calm down, you scared me! >_<

Silver Ori-Kun
12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Guuuuuuuuuhhhhh!!!

:: breaks down into a seizure ::
Someone turn back time before that happened please

skyler22
12-02-2004, 08:43 AM
i belive if time traveling could be done then we wouldn't realy notice it the govenment could be doing it now because if its changed then its just like it was normal like nothing happend
am i makeing since?

sjøpølse
12-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Almost. Translate this in english and then we might understand.

galdon
12-02-2004, 11:29 AM
First... I think your signature is darling.

O_o But that's not what this is about.

Time traveling, eh? It really can't be possible. There's something called a paradox. This doesn't allow you to be in the same time at the same place. It also doesn't allow you to change the past in anyway. If you change the past, the future is different; what if you changed it and somehow the thing that was different was that you are no longer born? Then, if you've never been born, then you never existed in the first place, and couldn't have traveled through time to change the past in the first place, so you WERE born.

If anything, a more futuristic form of time travel might be approached, and nothing else, really.

A great book that deals with time travel is "Lightening" by Dean Koontz.
i agree with the paradox thiery here, though my example is a bit less dangerous. a simple thing would be, you eat a bad apple and get sick, so you go back and take the apple before you eat it, so you dont get sick, but then there was no reason to go back so nobody took the apple.

if time traveling could ever truely be done, the person would only be able to watch, or create a different demention for the changes (in correspondence of the thiery on a different dimention being made for each choice.)

dragoninja
12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I looked up time in the dictionary and it gave me 36 differant deffintions just under the word time.

What I got from all of those deffinitions is that time is used as a measurment. To keep track of when it was, when it is, and when it will be. Time is just something we use to keep track of what was and what will be.

What I am getting at is "time" isn't real. There is no time. Its just something we use so we wont be late for work, dinner, ext ...

To say "to travel through time" is stupid. It is not possible because in the grand space of eternity there is just now.

If you say its 7:00 p.m. in New York and its 5:00 p.m. in Texas is just a measurment of the Earth rotating aroung the Sun. We measured exactly when the Sun will shine on a certain point on Earth at a certain point of time. If the Earth stoped spinning that doesnt mean time would stand still, that would just mean everything would float away because there would be no gravity.

If you want to go back when Jesus was on Earth the simple fact is you cant use time to do it. You would need something that us humans just cant comprehend.

To us, everything has to have a beginning and an end. If something just always was doesnt make sense to us. Thats why we believe in God. God had to give space a beginning? That cant be. If God gave space a beginning then what was God before everything began. It doesnt make sense.

I belive space always was and always will be. Our time here is just nothing. We are here now and thats all there is.

galdon
12-02-2004, 11:51 AM
well, people make a habit of using words we know. time is the word that is used due to the fact that we have no other word for it and everyone knows what time is. but you can bet if scientists figure it out they will give it a 6 sylable name that nobody can pronounce :).

SGI
12-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Amen dragoninja, thats nearly the exact same thoughts I had and wrote. Except all the God stuff.

Annik
12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
i agree with the paradox thiery here, though my example is a bit less dangerous. a simple thing would be, you eat a bad apple and get sick, so you go back and take the apple before you eat it, so you dont get sick, but then there was no reason to go back so nobody took the apple.

if time traveling could ever truely be done, the person would only be able to watch, or create a different demention for the changes (in correspondence of the thiery on a different dimention being made for each choice.)
I have to agree. Assuming time travel WERE attainable, for each thing you change, you create a new reality.

For some reason, I can easily refer to Chrono Cross on this topic.

When Serge goes to the Sea of Eden [or is it the Dead Sea...?] and speaks with the ghost children and Miguel, he learns that with each choice he makes, a new future is born, and another dies. The Dead Sea [or Sea or Eden...] contains one dead Future his father killed when he healed Serge.

Also, since in one reality he died and in the other he lived, there was a rift, or unbalance.

Although this also involves alternate dimensions, the idea and use of time travel and repercussions is evident.

... At this point, I can either point out a. "Who says video games teach you nothing!?" or, b. "... To tell the truth, I use Final Fantasy Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten as references... not just Chrono Cross..."

I almost feel like a dork.

Almost.

dragoninja
12-03-2004, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Annik]for each thing you change, you create a new reality.[QUOTE]

Isnt there only one reality. Are you real? Are the thoughts you have anything at all? How can you be real here and be real someplace else?

More than one reality would mean more than one universe and our universe is never ending.

My theory is our universe is like the Earth. Round. Not flat. If you travel far enough sooner or later you would end up where you began.

Silver Ori-Kun
12-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Everything is only as real as your mind makes it

~Karl*Sethers~
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I think that if you went back in time to change something, you would in turn eliminate the entire reason for going back in time. For instance, if someone went into the past to eliminate Hitler, then the Holocaust would have never happened. Hitler would have never caused so much trouble, and therefore no one would have been sent back to kill him.
*IF* time travel were possible, it would only be able to be used as a way of viewing the past, as any changes made would alter the future, possibly halting the means of creation of the very device used to traverese through time.

=D

Annik
12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=Annik]for each thing you change, you create a new reality.[QUOTE]

Isnt there only one reality. Are you real? Are the thoughts you have anything at all? How can you be real here and be real someplace else?

More than one reality would mean more than one universe and our universe is never ending.

My theory is our universe is like the Earth. Round. Not flat. If you travel far enough sooner or later you would end up where you began.
Matrix, biyatch!

Silver Ori-Kun
12-03-2004, 06:32 PM
LOL!
That's where I got my thoughts

retro
12-03-2004, 06:36 PM
I look forward to your own thoughts...

Anyway, I woke thew weeks back thought it was the 70's... DISCO TIME!

En Svensk Tiger
12-03-2004, 06:36 PM
But even if you had a time machine, you could not travel beneth the point in time where that machine was invented, because then you could show the people how to make it, thus altering the future you left from. It is said by some people, (or written, I read it in Illustrated Science) that the time machine invention will split our history into two pieces. The time before the machine, and after. And traveling further back than the point of invention would be impossible.

And still, no one have ever visited us, which means that never ever in the future will a time machine that can travel this far backwards be invented.

Just on the record of time:

If you take two twins of the exact same age, place one on the bottom of the sea, and the other atop a high mountain, one of them will age faster than the other. Only by less than seconds, but still..

niKopol
12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
........That was a movie, sweetie.

um sure but my science teacher from school said that it really existed you can tell when he is lying and he wasnt lying

Silver Ori-Kun
12-05-2004, 07:18 AM
......and in this case he was lying

Myrra
12-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I have no idea where to begin...someone seems to have brought up the paradox theory which is quite complicated. Assuming you could find a way to travel back into time and also assuming that you did change something that would cause a radical change in the future so that either you or the time "machine" were no longer created would not mean that you would necessarily cease to exist in that timeline. This would go back to the multi-uninverse theory where for each choice made a new reality is created. You would never be able to return to the reality from which you came. So in effect you would be trapped.

Ga! Now my head is spinning. I'm leaving.

sjøpølse
12-05-2004, 09:09 AM
At that point, what is the past of the present of the time-traveller, if he travels in it, becomes his future. By coming back in it, he makes this time period a present, thus, the moments of this past simultaneously mutate from past, to future (like the moment before he'd do anything), to present, to a renewed past. Thence, by changing his future past (as in a past more advanced in time than fore he travelled in it), acting in it like in present, he changes his future future and his future present. The main point is that for this time-traveller, going back in the past is still an action of going forward in time, and a new time reality is created just for him; the whole world returns to a state where it once was and he is still going forth on his own path of time.
The past is the future.