PDA

View Full Version : Best ending ever (film, anime, book whatever)

noir
10-26-2004, 08:25 AM
What in your opinion is the best ending to any film or series or book ever. I have no idea however i do think the ending to LEON was amazing!

Zedekiah
10-26-2004, 08:44 AM
The Best ending ever is the ending of "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Nokizaru on that one. I read that book when I was 11 and that ending still gets me going even now.

Although I'll probably go for the ending of 'The Usual Suspects' because of the direction and the wonderful Kevin Spacey's "And like that......... He's gone........" which I love to steal for my own devices as often as I possibly can.

M~G

noir
10-26-2004, 09:16 AM
oooo speaking of kevin spacey the ending to K-PAX is pretty damned cool. In fact the whole film is pretty ace

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Yes, it was not too bad. I thought it was worth it for the ending anyway.

Ohhhh..... My favourite ending of all time has to be the 'King of New York' with Christopher Walken.. Good God it gets no better than that....

M~G

Fabala
10-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Go for one of each... XD

Anime- I love-love my Violinist of Hameln ending...it needs no changing.
Movie- Gallipoli, for perhaps the most shocking of endings. Better yet, jarring.
Book- This is hard, as I've read so much @.@ Er...maybe The Executioner's Song, as it was an ending I was expecting 400ish pages before, but made memorable all the same..

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Oh, I totally agree with you on the Exectutioner's Song, and Gallipoli had a great ending too, although I considered therapy following that ending... Not as much as I needed it for the ending of Requiem for A Dream though... God... That was freaky...

M~G

Fabala
10-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Oh I have forgotten that one o.o Perhaps because it WAS so painful.

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, but expertly put together by the insane Aronofsky none-the-less... What with the amputation, the shock therapy, the sex show and the........ Janitorial labor..... It was pretty painful..

M~G

Fabala
10-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Listening to that most couldn't imagine that could make for a well-done ending. Heck, a well-done film.

Goes to show just how genius it was.

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree very much. Its one of those films they should show to kids really. That would make sure they never even think of taking drugs. Hell, Jared Leto's arm alone is justification...

Sadly I never saw Pi by Aronofsky.

M~G

Fabala
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Neither have I. Sounds excellent, however.

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:49 AM
It does, if Requiem for A Dream is anything to go by.

But back to topic, did anyone think the ending of Memento was possibly the worst thing about what was otherwise an exceptional film?

M~G

noir
10-26-2004, 09:52 AM
ive never seen any of this. However i do believe animes usually have terrible endings in the fact that there usually pure evil and fail to tie up ne loose ends wot so ever and usually create more. I give nadesico as one MAJOR example.

Mecha-Griever
10-26-2004, 09:57 AM
yeah Nadesico's ending just didin't suit the series at all..

Hellsing had a wonderful ending though. With Alucard's final little proposition at the end being the highlight. Ahhh the ambiguity...

M~G

Kyo Kusanagi
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Little Nemo - Great ending. I liked the song too.
Spirited Away - Not many gave this a chance.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Best movie ever!

Nullpunkt
10-26-2004, 01:02 PM
The Best ending ever is the ending of "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"
Are you nuts? That was the absolute worst ending ever. And the title of the book (fifth in the series) was "Mostly Harmless".

I saw "Red Planet" the other day, and it had a pretty good ending. Those little nematodes were pretty cool.

Zedekiah
10-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I think you'd have to understand the utterly pointless, unlikely and absurd humor of the rest of the book to be able to think it funny :3

And if you liked the rest of the book but not the ending... Then you're just plain not right -.0..

Maybe something in the center or left. Hand me the rap-rod, Plate Captain.

Nullpunkt
10-26-2004, 01:13 PM
The ending kind of made sense, and I did like it in an "off-the-wall-what-the-hell-it's-all-good-anyways" sense, but it was still a bad ending. It was just... sucky. And yes, I liked the rest of the book(s), but then they didn't destroy Earth, now did they? (at least not for good...)

Myrra
10-26-2004, 01:54 PM
How could you not like the way it ended?!? I used to have a leather bound edition...but sadly it was lost in one of my many moves.... :(

That was one of my most favourite series...

Nullpunkt
10-26-2004, 03:04 PM
It was a bad ending. The earth was destroyed and everyone died. Very anticlimatic. End of discussion.

Havana
10-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Anime - Spirited Away
Movie- Lord of the Ring
book- Undecided

Zedekiah
10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
It was a bad ending. The earth was destroyed and everyone died. Very anticlimatic. End of discussion.

So're the Ancient Nordic Sagas too. They r0xx0rz :3

Princess Mononoke
10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
well i can predict the the 7th harry potter book will have my vote for best ending

and of course jackson did an awesome job with rotk ending.

amuro1
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
ending to Samurai X: reflections was coolest ending i've ever seen...it was tragic how the legendary hitokiri died from a disease rather than the battlefield.

Han
10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Starwars - episode VI

Milly
10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
i like the ending on matrix II. cuz it made me go watch matrix III.
plus it was pretty puzzling and it was a cliffhanger.

Vetus
10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
One of the best endings I have seen recently is this one of Angelic Layer. At the last episode, Misaki and her mother, Hagiko, gave a great Angelic Layer battle and after that they started living together again. Apart from that, the episode closes with the second ending theme (which is one of the most wonderful songs I've listened to) and shows how all the characters continue their life: Koutarou and Tamayo have a walk as a couple, Hiromi and Ogata have a date (their first one, I guess), Hagiko has managed to fix her leg in order to take a walk with her daugher e.t.c.

Elfy
10-26-2004, 07:43 PM
oohh....so many so little time...

the ending of Orphen was good.
I also likes the ending of stephen King books...always a surprise.

Fabala
10-26-2004, 11:01 PM
One of the best endings I have seen recently is this one of Angelic Layer.

There are spoiler tags for a reason. Please use them.

I've just now finished Rose of Versailles, and while it's not the -best- ending I've seen, it's one of those that leaves you stunned and mouthing "Wow" repeatedly. Depressing as all heck.

Fabala
10-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Sorry, the computer froze and then posted twice =/

Wolfwood
10-27-2004, 12:21 AM
the ending of cowboy bebop, its a perfect, sad, but perfect end to a perfect anime

Elfy
10-27-2004, 03:57 AM
mmm...the endin of "It" by stepehn king was awesome...a blowing up toilet...

Leo Seta
10-27-2004, 05:10 AM
Favorite endings... I'd agree with both noir and mecha. The endings to LEON and the usual suspects in both cases are excellent. "this is for Matilida..." BOOOOOOM!!! How cool was that?! Ah and yes the ending of Resevoir Dogs... really should of seen that coming...

Book... hmmmm not too sure on that one... I'll get back to you...

Anime... the reflections OVA for Kenshin was great, although insanly sad. Again I'll agree with mecha, the ending to Hellsing was so sweet... come on second series!

noir
10-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Ok big old slap to the person who said the Matrix 2 and thank God no-one has said the damned Lord Of The Rings Trilogy yet (most overated thing ever). Hmm ending of evangelion film was great simply for the last 5 seconds those 5 seconds saved the entire film.

Nullpunkt
10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
I also likes the ending of stephen King books...always a surprise.
Speaking of which... the end of The Stand was spectacular. I loved that book, it was simply fantastic.

Mecha-Griever
10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Oh Good God! The Matrix Reloaded was absolutely bloody terrible! I'd give it only a 2 and a half out five, and one of those stars is only because it ended with a great song ('Calm Like A Bomb' by Rage Against The Machine). The Matrix Revolutions was absolutely terrible as well...

Wanna know another bad ending? Collateral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.. What the hell kind of ending was that?

The ending of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking barrels was very good though. ^_^

M~G

Nullpunkt
10-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I liked Revolutions (except for the very end, of course), but a really horrible movie ending was the end of Total Recall. Suck city, that...

skyler22
10-27-2004, 09:16 AM
lets see i would have to go with the movie a day after tomorrow that was an awsom movie very suspensful

Eris
07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Whoa, this thread is OLD! Found it back on page 151... But thanks to a layer of resin that over the ages turned into amber, we're able to revive it! How's that for science?

There were a lot of good endings back in the days. Here are some of the classics if you ask me:

Soylent Green
Planet of the apes (what is it with Charlton Heston and unexpected endings?)

FierceFeli.
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Book; Charlie and the chocolate factory
Anime; (Dunno so far, most animes I watch havent got an ending yet, and the Fullmetal Alchemist ending, wasn't good ;___; )
Movie; Cinderella? ><;; dunno actally, the Titanic ending is so sad

Link3F
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I liked very much the ending of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs.... it made me cry...

Pahuljica
08-13-2006, 05:49 AM
Books: er... The Name of the Rose (the men was blind ans old and those thing he did wow and u found it in the last 10 pages but in the book u would never suspect on him)

Illiad - it is so great book with a magnificent ending (i've read it 9 times and every time is better than before)

and the movie with the best ending would be ending of The Fog

Ami~chan
08-14-2006, 12:08 AM
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". The 1975 film starring Jack Nicholson, of course.

It was really, really unexpected.