PDA

View Full Version : Death Penalty: for or against? Why?

stankler
10-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Just questionning.

I am totally against death penalty. Some would come and say: when you do something wrong you have to pay for it. When you kill someone, you deserve death too. But I must ask: the guy who places the criminal on the electric chair, or puts all the seringes on the condemned, will he pay for killing human beings? There's something Albert Camus wrote in a book called "La Chute": (forgive the "freestyle" translation) Not all guilty people, all criminals should be condemned or punished, just so that the honest people won't feel innocent. That's the thing to avoid."
It is true though that prisoneers with long sentences are very expensive but I believe there's a better way than killing them. And you have to be even more careful when considering all the possible juridic mistakes. Also, there's a quite eloquent quote from someone I forgot saying: "We can't give death penalty because we don't know what death is. What if it was reward?"

Edit: reviewing my grammar. Please bear with my sometimes wobbly english.

Zedekiah
10-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Well.. What is worse? Death penalty or life in a hellish prison?

wait_andbleed
10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm against it. Not only for the reason you stated, but also I think that it's worse to live the rest of your life in jail than to be put to death.
Also, there's always that slight possibility that the person in jail is innocent, and later they might figure it out. If they had put that person on death row, there would be no way of taking them back.
But that's just me...

Annik
10-05-2004, 01:54 PM
For.

Just kill them.

Who cares what the better punishment is.

For murderers, rapists, etc, etc, the Death Penalty should be an option.

They drain money and time.

The entire idea of jail isn't exactly a punishment. It's to keep the dangerous people away from the not so dangerous people.

Kill em.

stankler
10-05-2004, 01:57 PM
There's a movie talking of it: The Life of David Gale.
Basically, one university professor (D. Gale) against death penalty has himself condemned of a murder he hasn't done, with death sentence. He lets a journalist know that he is innocent by leaving clues to her with the help of a third unknown person. He's killed and simultaneously, the journalist finds the final clue to proove that he is innocent, showing to everyone that justice can fail and that death can be given to innocents too.

Edit: Yes, it drains lots of money. But is money a reason to kill? Yes, surely, I forgot the world we lived in. Not that I give that much importance to life in general, but let's consider the people loving the person who would die, that possibly innocent person. Anyways, for those criminals, there are still some activities they could do, so that their sentence doesn't pass with them doing nothing in jail, like planting trees, cultivating in state farms (if they ever have some created). I mean, there's plenty of things not requiring specific qualifications that prisoneers could execute while doing their sentence.

Annik
10-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah. That's why people need to get better at their jobs.

Eris
10-05-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm all for good ol' mutilation. It's cheap and gets things done.

If there's a thief, you cut his hands off.
If there's a careless driver, you poke his eyes out.
If there's a rapist, you cut his thing off.
If there's a murderer you blow his frickin head off.
Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

The only problem is that it's sorta irrevocable.

stankler
10-05-2004, 02:38 PM

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

The only problem is that it's sorta irrevocable.I agree. Or just inject a big dose of oestradiol (the most concentrated form of oestrogena (is that the english word for female hormones?)) in the rapist's blood. That would be rather funny.

Annik
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Women aren't the only victims of rape.

shi_amai
10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by PikuNe

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

Lol, right on. Anyways, no, I don't really like the whole death penalty thing. :(

____
10-05-2004, 03:17 PM
i'm against the death penalty. unfortunately in, i believe, illinoise (sp?) (i can't spell worth crap today or remember! X_x X.x) there was a streak of death sentences. the bad part was that about 1/3 of the ppl (or something like that) were innocent. therefore, when they finally realized it, it was too late....

and as in Trigun....

No one has the right to take the life of another.

(ack! i'm quoting something from an anime! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

SGI
10-05-2004, 03:30 PM
While I am for the death penalty, I only belive it should be used in the absolutely most deploreable crimes imaginable. Eg. Genocide, mass murder, pedophilia (okay it's not a capital crime but I belive they should die), or grotesque assault.

And only then there should be a complete apeals process appliable for 4 years to make sure whoever is going to die is actually guilty.

The problem with the current system is it is far too much of a machine in just "getting them out of the way".

gadgetgirl16
10-05-2004, 03:47 PM

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

agree....if somebody kills another person, they should die also.....

En Svensk Tiger
10-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm totally against it. The court should not be entrusted with the task of deciding between life and death. But sure, if someone killed my family, I would wish with all my heart that we had the death penalty so that the ones who murdered them could pay. That is why we should not have it. State organized revenge should be a thing to leave behind in the 21. century. Who are we to decide who shall live and who shall not? It even happens that innocent people are convicted for crimes they didn't commit... Sure, it sucks if you find out that you shouldn't have been in prison for the last 10 years, but what sucks more is when you don't find out...'cause the state murdered you.

And gadgetgirl; "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"

Terra
10-07-2004, 01:20 AM
kill them. maybe those who just stole a stuff or more put in prison. like..... u stole something about..... 100 bucks. put in prison for one year. 1000 bucks ...10 years and......

En Svensk Tiger
10-07-2004, 01:27 AM
kill them. maybe those who just stole a stuff or more put in prison. like..... u stole something about..... 100 bucks. put in prison for one year. 1000 bucks ...10 years and......
That has to be the lamest suggestion ever made..ever..

Ever thought of that there's a reason we have crime? Not everyone steals because they consider it a fun hobby. But since you don't make the laws, let us all be happy -.-

Myrra
10-07-2004, 01:56 AM
I don't think that the death penalty is the answer. It deters no one when the appeals process is allowed to go on for years causing the repeated suffering of grieving family members. My best friend was murdered by her ex-boyfriend (who was mentally unstable when not taking his meds), but I want nothing more than to see him rot in jail. Taking his life is not going to bring her back. If it would, then I'd say most definitely take his life, but that's just impossible.

Plus, there truly is the factor of a screwed up system were the people with money can afford the best that money can buy...which usually helps them to get off with either a lighter sentence or go scott free. Most people will never get that kind of help, so I am sure there are many who are innocent stuck in a system that doesn't work...at least here in the states.

stankler
10-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Plus, there truly is the factor of a screwed up system were the people with money can afford the best that money can buy...which usually helps them to get off with either a lighter sentence or go scott free. Most people will never get that kind of help, so I am sure there are many who are innocent stuck in a system that doesn't work...at least here in the states.

Yes. Never forget that equality and fairness are things we have to pay for...and that it is not affordable for all.

TerraN EmpirE
10-07-2004, 04:53 AM
ahh it depends on the crime

Eris
10-07-2004, 08:01 AM

Uh, no. You make them replace whatever they stole o.O;

What's the point of imprisoning them?

(Maninly because i'd serve like 7000000000 years in prison if that was facts)

En Svensk Tiger
10-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Uh, no. You make them replace whatever they stole o.O;

What's the point of imprisoning them?ah, preach! The fairest way to deal with theft...

-If you stole this guys tv, well, give it back, or if you sold it, get him a new one..
-Someone stole your car... They get caught, and have to give it back..no harm done...

Though maybe this would make theft increase, since there would be no danger of procecution should you get caught..But for minor crimes, why not?

Eris
10-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Okay then, make the thief replace it and pay the value of it in cash.

En Svensk Tiger
10-07-2004, 08:15 AM
ah, not a bad idea... It will sting pretty bad to have to give the guy his car back, and pay him like 20.000 $ ...

But wouldn't that get us back at square one, since no one will be able to pay back, and thus get placed in prison instead?

Goku(AKIRA)
10-07-2004, 09:33 AM
for it in most cases i mean it is cheaper for us to kill than it is to keep them alive

En Svensk Tiger
10-07-2004, 09:45 AM
for it in most cases i mean it is cheaper for us to kill than it is to keep them aliveJesus Tapdancing Christ... Sure it's cheaper, everyone understands that... But we aren't talking about train ticket prices here, we are talking about human beings. It would be alot "cheaper" to run a country if we killed all the people who just costs us money (prisoners, old people, social clients)

But money vs life? I dunno..

If you would like som inspiration on how to get rid of people cheap and fast, look no further than back into 1940's germany... They had a system for it.. Got rid of millions of people at very low costs..

We don't need that **** again.

dragoninja
10-07-2004, 10:23 AM
In my opinion no one has the right to judge anyone else. Unfortunaitly the human race is screwed because there will always be greed, love, and religion. If some one killed your child you would want to kill the person who took their life. If some one killed your wife or husband you would want them dead. Its always been this way and it always will. Humans were meant to live, be free, and have a purpose but you have wonder why millions of us dont understand or evan care about that or evan anything at all.

Money ... sure, its fun to buy that new dress or that new computer or whatever. "Money makes the world go round." Everyones herd that saying but what we dont here is money makes death, thievery, greed, jealosy, pain, and war go round.

The death penalty should be for the people who are greedy, blood thirsty, sycotic ***** who get off on seeing others suffer, people who dont care, people who care but dont do anything about it, and people who infect, litter, trash, and destroy the world we live in. So ... if there is a God, maybe thats why in the end, we all get the death penalty.

Havana
10-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm not in to the whole Death penalty thing but i think it's wrong.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately, Human life isn't worth a damn. Money equals Energy. The energy required to keep one person in jail for 50 years is insane. Bullets however, are cheap. If all humans have an equally valuable life, than why don't we kill a career criminal and spend the cash on rebuilding Africa? Anyone who values the life of a murderer over the lives of the innocent has obviously hasn't thought about it long enough. Sure it is a slippery slope, but its the job of the masses to prevent their governments from floundering. (A point that seems to be lost on many of my countrymen...)

stankler
10-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes. Say without laughing that the money Texas saves with death penalty goes to Afrika.

gadgetgirl16
10-14-2004, 05:10 PM
wow.....idk, i beleve that if u kill someone, u will be put to death too.....or be in prison for a lifetime on depending how bad it was....

stankler
10-14-2004, 05:13 PM
wow.....idk, i beleve that if u kill someone, u will be put to death too.....or be in prison for a lifetime on depending how bad it was....
As said previously, for that matter, we should also kill the guy who puts the seringes in the criminal, and the person who'd kill that person too. It would be a good way to diminish earth's population, though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-14-2004, 05:14 PM
If I'm theoretically changing the system to make the death penalty apply more readily to career criminals, then why can't I theoretically set aside a good deal of that money to help the poor? Sure, the business criminals would steal some of it. But It would still be doing a lot more good than keeping a rapist rotting in prison.

stankler
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
About rapists: Let's castrate them and give them female hormons.

gadgetgirl16
10-14-2004, 05:59 PM
As said previously, for that matter, we should also kill the guy who puts the seringes in the criminal, and the person who'd kill that person too. It would be a good way to diminish earth's population, though.
ture.....like what the old book says...."u choose to take a life.....the state takes ur own"...well i think that what it says.....

stankler
10-14-2004, 06:10 PM
There was a tiny wee-bit of sarcasm going along with that post. Sleeping would be a great idea for me. I hope to have it soon.

Elfy
10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I disagree...over here we don't have the death penalty and the thought of spending your life and dying in gaol (that's how we spell jail for you non, aussies) is really scary and works well.
They put em away never to be released and gaol isn't a nice place...i've seen em...

Pakachu
10-14-2004, 10:12 PM
i agree with the death penalty but feel that it should be reserved for repeat offenders only.(murderers, rapists, child mollesters)

Wolfwood
10-15-2004, 12:25 AM
im against the death penalty, if someone does somthing that bad that people think they should die then we could just lock them up for the rest of there life.

and although i stole this saying from trigun "no-one has the right to take the life of another" if everyone belived that the world would be nothing short of perfect.

dragoninja
10-15-2004, 05:43 AM
no one has the right to judge either but guess what, were human, so there will always be death, hate, and all the other emotions you can think of

its like were here to live but no one is showing us the right way ...
its like were here to die but no one is telling us why ...

En Svensk Tiger
10-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Hmm...killing people to save Africa? I don't know, that seems kinda lame...
There are plenty of other ways to get money for helping the third world.
The budget of a single mediocre Hollywood movie could probably last pretty long in Africa. The money we spend on our monarchy, could last long in africa.

Saving money is one thing, but I don't think that the death penalty is the right way to start. And as previously mentioned, innocent people do sometimes get convicted.
And rich criminals tend to escape prison/death row easier than the average Joe criminal.

State controlled killing... c'mon.. the state *edit* up enough as it is...

Rainb0w
10-15-2004, 10:04 AM
The death penalty is not an effective deterrent, as criminals have no intention to get caught and convicted in the first place!

Zedekiah
10-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Money makes the world go round." Everyones herd that saying but what we dont here is money makes death, thievery, greed, jealosy, pain, and war go round.

Hence, the world...

Seriously, wake up call!

dragoninja
10-15-2004, 10:12 AM
screw money and all it stands for man

money is why people are starving
money is why people are killing
money is why people steal
money money money ... **** money!

we put some dead guys face on a piece of papper and its supposed to buy stuff ... if we wanna blame some one for being greedy and selfish we should all take a cold hard look in the mirror

Eris
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
drago: Therefore my and Nokis totalitarian dictatorship is much better. People don't kill each other, instead we kill people, leaving the rest too terrified to actually do any harm.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Yeah. No one killed anyone before currancy. [/sarcasm]

Zedekiah
10-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Of course not!

Before money came into the picture, everyone was equal and loved eachother with all their hearts!

dragoninja
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
death will always be ... that is a fact
how many more people have to die because of money .... zero
how many people die because of it ....

Zedekiah
10-15-2004, 04:27 PM
A lot. And that will continue to fuel our egoistic motivations in this world.
You are no exception.

Thousands have died, millions have died.. And even more [B]shall[I] die in the struggle of money.

Face it :3

So that is why you should entrust Great Leaders like me and PikuNe to secure tomorrow today!

Wolfwood
10-15-2004, 04:32 PM
all things that a born are destend to die... but what right do we have to decide when they will die.

greed causes death, it dosent matter if there after money, land or oil(yeah, we're on to you bush).

the simple truth is that as long as there is life, there will be death, and theres not a thing we can do about.

Zedekiah
10-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Ahoy!
10 points to the stater of obvious!

Princess Minako
10-16-2004, 05:41 AM
I will use an example. A man raped and murdered someone, he was taken to jail. No death penalty for his actions.... after a few years a psychologist said "he's ok, he's all better he can go back into the world". A few weeks/months later he abducts and murders a girl by the name of dru who worked at a victorias secret after stalking her. What about her life? If he was given the death penalty than she would still be alive today. People who murder are rarely ever "cured" or "fixed" these people will do it again. A lot of murders are people who are let back out after doing it once. The death penalty isn't as rampant as you think. The prosecution has to decide to go after that when they start the trial, and it usually has to be proven to be a third degree murder, we're talking pre-meditated. I am totally for it, because in my opinion it saves the lives of his future victims.

The Goddess has Spoken

En Svensk Tiger
10-16-2004, 06:10 AM
I will use an example. A man raped and murdered someone, he was taken to jail. No death penalty for his actions.... after a few years a psychologist said "he's ok, he's all better he can go back into the world". A few weeks/months later he abducts and murders a girl by the name of dru who worked at a victorias secret after stalking her. What about her life? If he was given the death penalty than she would still be alive today. People who murder are rarely ever "cured" or "fixed" these people will do it again. A lot of murders are people who are let back out after doing it once. The death penalty isn't as rampant as you think. The prosecution has to decide to go after that when they start the trial, and it usually has to be proven to be a third degree murder, we're talking pre-meditated. I am totally for it, because in my opinion it saves the lives of his future victims.

The Goddess has Spoken
Sure, that would have been great. Had it actually worked. But since the court system in most countries is not fair, death penalty will never be the best option.
And it does happen that people who commit crimes get "fixed". Not every criminal is born evil you know. Maybe we should offer better therapy to people with problems, instead of waiting until they kill someone, so that we can kill them.

Zedekiah
10-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Of course, but most Criminals in the state of mind where they actually commit such a sin as taking another human beings life, is most certainly not willing to grasp the oppertunity of Psychological guidance.. Not to mention the costs.. Even if we come up with the perfect system to.. cleanse them and help them into the society to become proper citizens again, the costs will simply be too high. After all, what would be best? Pouring money into helping those who already commited a crime like murder, or prevent the ones suffering under poor circuimstances from actually becoming criminals in the first place.

All in all, the main problem would be something like... The costs.
And no matter what you say, no matter how brilliant the plan is, it simply won't be possible to carry out at times.. Due to the lack of money in general..

Himura Enishi
10-16-2004, 06:50 AM
I'm against, too easy of an release for sickos who commit murders and other atrocities, let em rot in prison, thats a much better punishmment

Zedekiah
10-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Sadism over cost.

Cute, but not what would benefit us.

Princess Minako
10-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Not all psychological disorders can be cured with a pill and a nice chat. To cure pathological serial killers sometimes can't be done. There are mental problems we cannot fix, the brain is such a strange and mysterious organ we cannot even begin to grasp all of its intriciacies.

In cases like Charles Manson, the death penalty is NEEDED, there is no cure, and a lot of serial killers are very manipulative. There was a guy in califorina, in an attempt to get off on insanity faked having Disassociative Identity Disorder. He convinced several psychologists that he did have it, until one man came along and was able to out smart him. We're talking like 9/10 professional, highly accredited psychologists were fooled by this man. He didn't have it and was just a rapist/murderer.

Under your system, he would have gone out to rape and murder again.... There will always be flaws in government and justice because humans are flawed. But the rate that people are convincted falsely is not very high. More people get off for crimes they did commit (OJ anyone?) than those who go to injection for ones they didn't.

The Goddess has Spoken

Ollie
10-16-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm somewhere in the middle.

Death penalty is good because it can permanently rid us of some incurably bad people, and save a lot of money ['cause putting them in prison would cost food and clothing cash]

But a lot of people think that our court system can do no wrong. Police officers make mistakes, judges do, and juries always will. Think about this -

Hypothetical situation: Man kills wife out of anger, spite or just for kicks and flees. Over the next few months (as such cases usually take a while), a man matching the description is caught. During trial, the man is convicted and sentenced to life inprosimnet without parole.

Should he have gotten the death penalty? Many would probably say "yes". How about the manner of the death? As soon as he's convicted? AGain, most people I know would say yes to that, because, for whatever reason, they seem to have a glorified view of the judicial system that somehow makes all police officers, prosecutors and defense lawyers skilled, competent paragons of virtue.

Now lets look closer, and change a thing or two. The caught man is convicted and sentenced to death row, and was put to death by being gunned down by a firing squad. Everyone's happy la-dee-da and the victim's family throws a party at another criminal being put to justice.

Some time [very quickly] later, another man with a matching description is found, caught, then convicted of the crime. What about the previous guy? What are they going to do, write a letter to his family and say "We're sorry, won't happen again"?

Really, the point is that a lot of people seem to have the idea that either the courts can do no wrong, the accused is automatically guilty or that anyone remotely resembling descriptions of the wanted should be dipped in acid or something torturous.

dragoninja
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
"innocent until proven guilty"

People are put to death because there is proof that they did it. Not because we think they did it. If I think somebody killed my child does that mean I am going rip there face off and make them eat it ... no ... it means that maybe the real killer is sleeping on a beach somewhere in Costa Rica. There is always two sides to every story but there can only be one fact.

En Svensk Tiger
10-18-2004, 10:21 AM
"innocent until proven guilty"

People are put to death because there is proof that they did it. Not because we think they did it.That how it is supposed to be. But so far, in the US only, 117 people who were supposed to be put to death have been set free. In most cases, because they in reality were innocent. They were convicted as guilty though. -.-

Source (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=45&did=1149)

Zedekiah
10-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Well, yes.

But how can we be truly certain that what we always do is 120% correct?

We can't.

dragoninja
10-18-2004, 11:35 AM
:curses:

The system is screwed! We live in a fuedal age when the innocent die and the guilty live free! Its chaos! Why don't we all just kill each other and get it over with :angry1:

Zedekiah
10-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Fine.

Let me and Piku do as we intend to do and we'll kill you for sure.

Princess Minako
10-18-2004, 12:53 PM
why does it suddenly scare me that noki and I have similar views on this

The Goddess has Spoken

dragoninja
10-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Fine.

Let me and Piku do as we intend to do and we'll kill you for sure.

Thank you Noki ... your too kind.

By the way, may I ask how you intend to kill everyone including yourself?

Zedekiah
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Not myself.

Just the.. "Lesser" beings :3

And how? Take Hitler for an example

Pina Colada
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I think it depends on the crime. It could just be easier if they were never let out of prison. Sometimes being tortured in prison is worse then being killed. But I believe if the crime is bad enough they should be given the death pentalty.

Zedekiah
10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Can't you people stop this sadism thing?

"I want them to suffer"
"Let them Rot!"
"It's worse for them if they're in jail"

Seriously..
You make my Grammar Fascism sound nice and fluffy.

Essex
10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Death penelty is an easy escape for what you did... I don't like of it at all.
Lifetime prison is way better. But it must be h*ll being inocent sent to prison and spend so many years there knowing you didn't do a thing wrong T_T

En Svensk Tiger
10-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah ^^

can't get any worse than that..

Except if they kill you -.-

Himura Enishi
10-18-2004, 08:20 PM
reading thsi again brings back memories of Blue Collar Comedy tour.............(comedian talking about Texas) So did ya hear now that if your convicted of a murder in texas, you dont just get in line for the death penalty, you go to the front of the line! Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty.....(huge smile) my states putting in an express lane

Pina Colada
10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Death penelty is an easy escape for what you did... I don't like of it at all.
Lifetime prison is way better. But it must be h*ll being inocent sent to prison and spend so many years there knowing you didn't do a thing wrong T_T
I cant agree with that
although sometimes the familt of those murdered like to see the murderer killed @.@

Elfy
10-18-2004, 08:30 PM
I believe that it's better to put them in gaol that to execute them cuz execution is the easy way out. i know here murderers and rapists get hell in gaol and i think that they should be locked away and the keys thrown away. let them suffer for what they did..

plzjustdie
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
i all for it! what princess minako said is totally right. not only should they be killed, they should be totrued in the worst way possible . when they go to jail, its like nothing to them. from what i see in movies, they have a large quanity of breakfast, they get exercise by playing basketball and you do get to see your relatives. Murderes dont need that they need to gbe killed. you would be saying that about some1 who killed you closest relative of friend belive me

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-18-2004, 09:31 PM
How about we kill them so painfully it just feels like they went through a lifetime of suffering? That should satisfy everyone.

plzjustdie
10-18-2004, 09:39 PM
it would definetly satisfy me! LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 04:37 AM
How about we kill them so painfully it just feels like they went through a lifetime of suffering? That should satisfy everyone.

Yes. But then those do-gooders come running.

"Inhuman treatment! Boo-hoo!"

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Im for it if people are thats stupid to do something that bad then get caut of it thay sould get it.

After all it not me who is going to die, But i wish it was

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 06:12 AM

So what you're saying is that every murder/rapist that gets away with the crime shouldn't have to pay for it?

And as for the dying part.. Please cut the crap :3 You don't want to die any more than I do -.0

Wolfwood
10-19-2004, 06:18 AM
maby he really does want to die...O_O

i couldnt care less, im going to die one day or another, its all a mater of time and how much you have left

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Ding.

10 points for the Obvious.

Even if you did, that got nothing to do with the current topic at hand..

BACK TO TOPIC, PLEASE.
This is after all about the only topic that have been able to keep a somewhat straight line.

Wolfwood
10-19-2004, 06:35 AM
ok, back on topic.

is the death penalty just a way to keep crowding in prisons down. or maby a way to save money, its cheeper to kill criminals then feed them for the rest of there life

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 06:39 AM
So what you're saying is that every murder/rapist that gets away with the crime shouldn't have to pay for it?

And as for the dying part.. Please cut the crap :3 You don't want to die any more than I do -.0
As for the first part you couldnt be more rong
and for the 2nd part i have nothing to live for so i do want to die i never wanted to live and what do you care if i live or die?

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 07:06 AM
I don't. But as I said, that got nothing to do with the topic.

And please describe what it is you meant by saying so. If I am wrong, tell me why.

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 07:12 AM
And please describe what it is you meant by saying so. If I am wrong, tell me why.

Ok all rapest etc that are dum enuf to get caut SHOULD get death.

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
So.. What about the "smart" rapists and murderers?
What if they do not get caught right away?

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 07:16 AM
So.. What about the "smart" rapists and murderers?
What if they do not get caught right away?

Well they got caught in the end didnt they?

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 07:18 AM
That does not make them "dumb". I am amazed you'd even call them that for being caught. And just so it is said, some doesn't get caught.

Should they just be accepted as a normal human being untill they commit their crimes over and over again?

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 07:21 AM
That does not make them "dumb". I am amazed you'd even call them that for being caught. And just so it is said, some doesn't get caught.

In my Dad's words who use to be a policeman he would call anyone who did anything bad "dumb". I'm just following what he seys.

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 07:25 AM
My Grandfather was Chief of Police and my Father was a Police Sergeant. Never did any of them say anything as remotely degenerating as that.
They never underestimated the ones they were fighting against.

So this is a topic on objective points of view. Not biased taunts passed down through generations.

Please give valid and solid reasons for your beliefs.. If any.

Sieg_707
10-19-2004, 07:30 AM
This is off topic but my Dad is a lunatic.

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Then let's get back to topic.. For the 430689th time.

Anyone else want to contribute to this?

Princess Minako
10-19-2004, 07:58 AM
I don't believe the death penalty should be used to keep prison crowding down or to "save money'. I think it should be used so that the offenders don't have the possibility of committing their crimes again. As I have pointed out two instances where if released these people would/did comit their crimes again, and one of them was caught and almost got off for it by playing the insanity card. (Ted something, we studied the case in Abnormal Psychology). People who murder others are not always "curable" and if we give them the chance they will go out and murder again. So to save the lives of innocent victims I say let them go, who knows how many they could/would/are able to kill.

The Goddess has Spoken

Zedekiah
10-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, true.

But there are too many uncertain factors when it comes to "insanity" or "fake insanity" these days.

After all, what would you prefere? Better Sorry Than Safe or Safe Than Sorry?

MistressPookyChan
10-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Did you know that it's cheaper to keep a person in jail than it is to put them to death? This includes court costs, appeals, R&D on materials needed for "humane" execution, etc etc.

Princess Minako
10-19-2004, 08:11 AM
its fake when you say you have three, then a smart psychiatrist comes around and says "ohh you have DID, hmm you know it isn't really DID unless you have 4 personalities and you only have 3..... but lets talk to them" and low and behold ANOTHER personality comes out.... The guy wasn't that smart. SO the psychiatrist was able to prove he wasn't DID.

The Goddess has Spoken

En Svensk Tiger
10-19-2004, 11:38 AM
People, you gotta get rid of this usI] and [I]they mentality. All human beings have the ability to kill someone. You are no better. Under the right circumstances, you too would kill. You were not born good, just as much as murderes weren't born evil.

So, I thought I'd sum it up the arguments so far:

The Death Penalty is cheaper than prison.

Sure, that may be true. But personally, even if you can measure human life in money, I think it is not right to kill felons just to "get rid of them". This is my opinion though, and I fully understand if other people consider it a proper way of saving money.
Though, there are plenty of better ways to save money, which I think should be considered before starting killing people Texas Style.
(for the record, Texas stands for almost half of the total number of executions in the US history.)

The family of the victim gets a closure, and a "revenge".

Sure, some families may feel good about the thought of the murderer getting killed. They might even be there to watch. But what about the family of the murderer? They never harmed anyone. Do they deserve the same sorrow and pain as the family of the victim? And again, personally, I think that such a goverment controlled revenge system should have been left behind in the Middle ages. Public hangings and stuff. Not my picture of a sunday activity.

Some people will kill/rape again

This may also be true, but I never said that I would give up prison. If the death penalty is being considered, I assume that the guilty already has been caught. It is the penalty wich is under consideration. So, there is nothing to keep us from locking this murderer/rapist up as long as we desire. Though I agree with Noki, there are way too many uncertain factors on the Insanity issue. Therefore, even if it is proven that you were insane at the moment of the crime, is that not even a better reason to lock you up? Sure, you may not have been knowing what you were doing, but you sure as hell are dangerous. Maybe you can never be cured. But you stille are a Human Being. No different from you or me.

Innocent people tend to be convicted sometimes.

This has been my main point all along. If let out, maybe some criminals would kill again. But what about all the just as innocent people who get the death sentence? Is that not murder? Can you set the number and statistics of human life up against each other? I don't know. But I know that the death penalty is a quick and risky solution. There is no way to undo it.

So, all in all. Even if my personal opinion is that you should not take a life what so ever, there are too many flaws in the court system, too much vengeance thoughts, to much feelings involved for us humans to take such desitions based upon life and death.
And even you have to commit a pretty serious crime to get the death penalty, you could get it for not just murder and rape, but also for drug related crimes.

And I repeat the famous words of Ghandi;

"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Did you know that it's cheaper to keep a person in jail than it is to put them to death? This includes court costs, appeals, R&D on materials needed for "humane" execution, etc etc.No it doesn't. It costs millions a year to keep a prisoner behind bars. And prisoners receive better health care than many people on the outside, so they tend to live longer. The couple million to kill a prisoner is a one time cost.

And while I'm on the subject, why lethal injection? Those are expensive chemicals. Three Hollow-points to the head at close range will kill just as painlessly, far quicker, and much cheaper.

En Svensk Tiger
10-19-2004, 12:13 PM
No it doesn't. It costs millions a year to keep a prisoner behind bars. And prisoners receive better health care than many people on the outside, so they tend to live longer. The couple million to kill a prisoner is a one time cost.
Sorry for saying it, but doesn't that say more about your public welfare system, than it does about the treatment of prisoners?

Princess Minako
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Not really, prisoners get three meals a day and health care because of people crying "inhumane treatment' and that money comes from other places like our own welfare system and education programs. Not to mention as ghandi was an idealist, Hamurabi actually brought down crime in his nation. Why keep someone around if they are incurably unable to function in society. Look at the gentleman silence of the lambs was based off of. He was incurably insane, he skinned people alive to dress like his mother and walk around his house. He had issues, and we could keep him in jail or a glass room for an indefinate amount of time where, he could find a way to convince some underpaid psychologist, just like the one that let dru's killer go, that he's fine now, let him out and he'll kill again.

Explain to the family who just lost their daughter because a convicted multiple murderer was let go because a psychologist said "he's fine". Tell them that his life was worth just as much as the 3 or 4 people he's killed.

The Goddess has Spoken

Essex
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
In Norwy the prisoners and criminals have it better than the old peolpe on retirement homes.
Plus the the prisoners get vacation or something like that for three months every year. On their birthdays they can go out and eat on the prisons tab and they can spend christmas at home. Foreign people that wan't to come and stay in Norway and is refused often do a criminalact because they've heard the prisons is like luxary, almost hotels

Kyo Kusanagi
10-19-2004, 12:54 PM
In my opinion -

Death penalty should only be used if they know that the person who commited the murder is the person who actually did it. I like to believe everyone deserves a second chance, but if you take an innocent persons life then you lose that priviledge.

Essex
10-19-2004, 01:05 PM
But you can't be 120% sure that the person is guilty

Kyo Kusanagi
10-19-2004, 01:50 PM
If they aren't able to prove that a person is a murderer, then the death penalty shouldn't be an option. Time spent in prison is something that can be compensated, the death penalty isn't reversible.

Tenchi Masaki
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm against.

I know it might sound sadistic, but wouldn't you rather have a mass murderer suffer in jail, rather than give him the pleasure of a quick death? Just put him in solitarery(sp?) confinement, seeing as he's a mass murderer he might have his ways of killing people in Jail...

En Svensk Tiger
10-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Not really, prisoners get three meals a day and health care because of people crying "inhumane treatment' and that money comes from other places like our own welfare system and education programs. Not to mention as ghandi was an idealist, Hamurabi actually brought down crime in his nation. Why keep someone around if they are incurably unable to function in society. Look at the gentleman silence of the lambs was based off of. He was incurably insane, he skinned people alive to dress like his mother and walk around his house. He had issues, and we could keep him in jail or a glass room for an indefinate amount of time where, he could find a way to convince some underpaid psychologist, just like the one that let dru's killer go, that he's fine now, let him out and he'll kill again.

Explain to the family who just lost their daughter because a convicted multiple murderer was let go because a psychologist said "he's fine". Tell them that his life was worth just as much as the 3 or 4 people he's killed.

The Goddess has Spoken
*sigh* I think I stated that I never intended to let people go free. And as you seem to think, the system, the psychologists, are the problem. And how often does cases like this happen? After all, your example had a movie based upon it, so that indicates that this is a rare happening. And much do these few insane murderers really cost in the whole run? My guess is not much.
Why not spend some money on preventive work? Getting rid of poverty problems. I think that would be profitable in the long run.

And you say that prisoners steal money from other social services. We'll, I've seen films from prisons where the prisoners lived in tents, and worked all day for the food. Yeah, they drain the money.
And it's all a matter of priority. I think you'd have more than enough money to spend on the public welfare system if you say, chose not to build some fighter aircrafts. They tend to be expensive.

And your beloved president did increase the national defense budget a bit, did he not?

Everything costs. It's all a matter of priority.

Princess Minako
10-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Silence of the lambs was one movie, Dru was an employee of Victorias Secret which is owned by Limited brands inc, which i used to work for which is how I know about that one, and the other one was a case study in an abnormal phsychology class. Its not the psychologists that are the problem, but they are the ones that have most of the say on whether or not the people go out on parole or not. and i've given three solid examples of people who have gotten out, almost gotten out, or should not get out to support why the death penalty is some circumstances is needed.

The Goddess has Spoken

En Svensk Tiger
10-19-2004, 02:49 PM
That does not change the fact that I have provided 117 examples where people who were innocent were given the death sentence. And it does not change the fact that there is no need to kill them, because if death penalty is being discussed, they have aldeady been caught, and could without many problems be kept in jail as long as we want, thus providing no real threat to society, and not costing much us much money in the big picture.

Well, that's my opinion anyway, we don't make the rules I guess..
I feel that I have said what I need to say on this issue, so unless some new viewpoints are presented, I shall withdraw from this discussion..

Love

Tandokuno
01-04-2005, 09:12 AM
im with and against it so there but now i shall talk on and on (not really) about why first off im with it cause anybody thats done something to be there deserves it for either being so stupid to be caught or because they really deserve it im not with it cause like some person up there didnt really read the name you cant be absolutly sure that theyre guilty its like ok death penalty for you then the day after he dies they find the "right" person turns out hes not it either they do that over and over and pretty soon lots of innocents are dead even though you truly cant say any human above the age of 20 is innocent but thats not the point the point is... hold it i know this oh yeah the point is that bad people should die but not innocent ones

Queen-of-Mars
01-04-2005, 09:16 AM
For. The only thing I AM against is the massive amount of time and legal red tape there is to actually get it done. I think we should bring back the firing dquad(Really not joking) because a few bullets aren't as costly as a few thousand volts of electricity or medical stuff needed for lethal injection.

Kyo Kusanagi
01-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Edit - Whoops. Posted this already!

I Love Elfy
01-04-2005, 10:21 AM
i am for it all the way.to me if you kill someone you should be kill allso.

Innotech
01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
This is one case in which I agree with liberals. I am anti-death penalty. My Uncle is on Death row for murdering family members and although I obviously hate his actions, he is still my uncle and like any other human being, he makes mistakes. This one he has to pay for for life, but Im not happy that he's scheduled to die. Life in prison is fine to give him time to contemplate what he did and find God again, but youre right, putting him to Death is itself playing God and murder. I do not agree with capital punishment.

I Love Elfy
01-04-2005, 10:53 AM
but its not fair he kills someone.that family is now a family member short,its only fair that the family of the killer gets to loss a family member.

Innotech
01-04-2005, 11:11 AM
but its not fair he kills someone.that family is now a family member short,its only fair that the family of the killer gets to loss a family member.
no its 3 family members short. My aunt, and my grandparents. Shot and killed. Just like that.

I Love Elfy
01-04-2005, 11:26 AM
wait wait im meant in general when someone kills someone that family in short a family member.how did they get shot?

Innotech
01-04-2005, 11:33 AM
wait wait im meant in general when someone kills someone that family in short a family member.how did they get shot?
a divorce. My aunt left him and he lost it. So he figured if he couldnt have her, we couldnt either. But she was in the front yard of my grandparents house, so after he gunner her down, he went in and killed my grandparents in the house. I hope none of you ever have to deal with this because you cant begin to know what it feels like if you havent, and it is a horrible and hopeless feeling. But all the same I dont feel that he should have to die for what He has done. Prison definitely, lock him up for good and throw away the key to keep him separate from society, but let him live his life.

Tyr
01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
a divorce. My aunt left him and he lost it. So he figured if he couldnt have her, we couldnt either. But she was in the front yard of my grandparents house, so after he gunner her down, he went in and killed my grandparents in the house. I hope none of you ever have to deal with this because you cant begin to know what it feels like if you havent, and it is a horrible and hopeless feeling. But all the same I dont feel that he should have to die for what He has done. Prison definitely, lock him up for good and throw away the key to keep him separate from society, but let him live his life.
Sorry for your loss, but I'm for it. If you don't want anyone else to have to go through something that terrible, would it not be better to make an example of the people who do commit murder by using the death penalty? That way, would-be murderers might think twice before doing something like that. It could stop the same kind of thing repeating with other families.

En Svensk Tiger
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Sorry for your loss, but I'm for it. If you don't want anyone else to have to go through something that terrible, would it not be better to make an example of the people who do commit murder by using the death penalty? That way, would-be murderers might think twice before doing something like that. It could stop the same kind of thing repeating with other families.
When you thought something was over... sigh*

1: Murderers have families too you know? Shall they also be punished for the behaviour of their relative?

2: Putting people in prison usually helps with making them stop killing people too.

3: Why is it that countries who have the death penalty, which is supposed to "scare" the killers from killing, have just as many/more murders per year than countries who doesn't have this capital punishment?

4: Does people stop commiting acts of crime because the punishments are severe? No.

Killing for killing, what a way.

Tyr
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
It's not a question of killing for killing, it's about giving them what they deserve.

1: Families, loved ones and many other things can always be brought in to sway a decision. Hitler had a family and loved ones. It doesn't mean we couldn't fight back, just because it would make a few people cry. It's the same with murderers. Surely they deserve the same fate as their victims.

2: I agree, prison can help reform people. If a life sentence meant a life sentence, I would probably say fine; death penalty is pointless, but it doesn't. It means a few years before that person can possibly do the same thing again.

3: I wouldn't know too much about this, I can't say I've researched it, and the UK doesn't have the death penalty, but the way I look at it is that, fairly recently, two innocent teenagers, Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, were killed by a man who they knew as their friend (there was also an accomplice, but I'm not too sure about her). This man is now sat in his cosy jail cell, happy to wait until he is released. The girls who's lives he stole are gone forever. I don't see that as fair.

4: Maybe not, but it could make them stop and think of the consequences of their actions before acting on them. Even if it saved just one innocent life, I think that would make it worth it.

Himura Enishi
01-04-2005, 08:28 PM
And it's all a matter of priority. I think you'd have more than enough money to spend on the public welfare system if you say, chose not to build some fighter aircrafts. They tend to be expensive.

So is helping another country by funding and providing aid when a large amount of their population were just killed off by a tsunami, but I'm sure other countries are well aware of this since they're on the sidelines all the time. Or maybe we can take back all our pardons for borrowed money we''ve given to other countries for their wars and aid we've provided, we can sure rake in the benjamins then. But this is neither here nor now, so im ending my rant.

1: Murderers have families too you know? Shall they also be punished for the behaviour of their relative?

2: Putting people in prison usually helps with making them stop killing people too.

3: Why is it that countries who have the death penalty, which is supposed to "scare" the killers from killing, have just as many/more murders per year than countries who doesn't have this capital punishment?

4: Does people stop commiting acts of crime because the punishments are severe? No.

Yeah, the murderer may indeed have a family, just like the small kids family he just brutally slaughtered in cold blood because he claims an angel told him to. Yes, putting people in prisons usually stops them killing, but it also gives them a glimmer of hope for probation, which they should never be allowed to have, there's also the drain of money issue but im not even gonna touch that. Have you ever checked the population levels of the most violent areas in the world? They're overcrowded, under-funded, and under-privelaged. Most of these places raise kids with one or no parent, and are forced to accept that taking care of number 1 is the only way to survive. In Baltimore, they estimated around 15% of kids born and raised there will never live to see 26 years of age. As for do severe crimes stop people from commiting them...would you try to steal from a store if the penalty of being caught was getting a hand cut off?

One last thing, while we can all state our opinions with a cool mind, how would you all feel if our families were murdered? Would you feel justice was served if the murderer was sentenced to live in an institution with television, sports, weights, and rooms that are better than ones found in ghettos?

Pakachu
01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
thats pretty much exactly what i was gonna say.

seriously there are people out there who commit crimes to go to jail.
why? because its better than liveing on the streets.
3 square meals a day, a bed, cable tv. heck, you can even get a Masters degree in jail if ya work for it. crap... my house don't even get cable!!

Death penalty: i'm all for it in the case of repeat offenders. especially for violent crimes or crimes of a sexual nature.

Innotech
01-04-2005, 09:29 PM
One last thing, while we can all state our opinions with a cool mind, how would you all feel if our families were murdered? Would you feel justice was served if the murderer was sentenced to live in an institution with television, sports, weights, and rooms that are better than ones found in ghettos?
I am stating my opinion as a member of a family that HAS BEEN victimized by murder. I am well aware of hwat it feels like and hte anger that can come from it. but even despite being angry andthinking of my Uncle as a very bad person I cannot with good conscience condone a punishment of death for him. I just cant do it. Maybe he is enjoying himself, maybe hes watching TV or whatever, but he has to answer to God when he dies and I pray that he has found him. Its not my concern anymore and hes definitely never getting out of Prison. He actually admitted to killing shortly after he did hte deed so there really isnt a doubt at all whether he is guilty or not. He turned himself in. And now he is oging to remain in Max security prison for life, or until they inject him to death. but whatever they do to him I just cant say that Im ok with him being put to death sorry.

En Svensk Tiger
01-05-2005, 07:41 AM
As for do severe crimes stop people from commiting them...would you try to steal from a store if the penalty of being caught was getting a hand cut off?

Would I? -No

Would someone desperate enough for food? -Yes.

Why do you think people commit crimes? For fun? Because they were born evil?. And as I said, even though america has the death sentence, why is there still so much crime, so many murders? Doesn't seem to scare them off.. Maybe it is because that no criminal actually plans on getting caught.

If someone murdered someone close to me, sure I would want them dead. Or maybe I wouldn't. But that is not the point. Would killing the murderer bring my loss back? No, probably not. It would change nothing but getting revenge. And revenge usually isn't good.

I could dig up all my other arguments, but as this discussion is rather old, just browse back a few pages if you want to read them.

State supported revenge, what a way.

Steel-Bladed-Sword
01-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Against:Why kill someone when living is a worse punnishment than death. Lock 'em in the hole for the rest of their lives. That would be hell.

Pakachu
01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Would I? -No

Would someone desperate enough for food? -Yes.

Why do you think people commit crimes? For fun? Because they were born evil?. some do... its called a thrill kill. some people commit crimes simply for the thrill of it. not all crimes are even commited intentionally.(ie. killing the wrong person) others are actually crazy(screw being PC XP)

And as I said, even though america has the death sentence, why is there still so much crime, so many murders? Doesn't seem to scare them off.. Maybe it is because that no criminal actually plans on getting caught.
cuz the chances of actually getting executed are exteamly thin. quite often jurys will not go for the death sentance because they feel it is to extreme.

If someone murdered someone close to me, sure I would want them dead. Or maybe I wouldn't. But that is not the point. Would killing the murderer bring my loss back? No, probably not. It would change nothing but getting revenge. And revenge usually isn't good.
execution is revenge but locking someone up for life isn't?
where are we gonna draw the line about what is humane and what is in the best interest for those who are innocent. do we put a convicted killer back out onto the streets to possibly kill more people, lock him up where he may still kill other innocent people(ie. prison guards and other personel) or simply put him out of our misery.

State supported revenge, what a waytrue... i'd much prefere public linchings by angry mobs but hey, thats just me.

Against:Why kill someone when living is a worse punnishment than death. Lock 'em in the hole for the rest of their lives. That would be hell

i'd be all for that if:
1. the jail system wasn't over crowded already
2. jails here(US) were holes ...and didnt have better facilities than my own home

Moved_to_new_account
01-06-2005, 11:22 PM
I hate it, your not doing me any help by likking my enemies or murderers, punish them, but dobn't kill them.. I mean, once we kill the,m,, what makes us different form the murderer, we btoh killed, and murderers,assasins. etc. have loved ones too so yeah

Pakachu
01-06-2005, 11:33 PM
huh... i'm not trying to help you or hurt you here. i'm simply stateing my opinion and debateing with those who feel different from me.(could be argueing with them, i was never very good at differentiating between the two)

what makes us different?
We are not killing an innocent person.
We put no others at risk when we execute.
We are not robbing anyone of a loved one, the criminal removed himself when he decided that his personal vendettas or his personal greed superceeded the laws of society and the feelings of the innocent families involved including his own.

Janus Silverlock
01-07-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure where... but somewhere in the bible it says that if a man kills another man... then that man should be put to death. And seeing as I am a christian and try to follow what it says... Then I'll be for it... don't like the idea of death myself, but if someone can take another persons life... yeah I just don't know.

animeseishi
01-07-2005, 04:10 AM
im totally against it...i think that we dont have the right to give such punishment for only god has that power.......moreover we should give that person the chance to live....and change his way of life...

Lord Garma Zabi
01-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Let people know that you aren't gonna live the rest of your life for killin someone. The harsher the punishment the less likely you'll commit the crime. If you were fined a million dollars for spammin, would you or anyone else do it? Most likely not.:ninja:

Lady Dragon
01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm not sure where... but somewhere in the bible it says that if a man kills another man... then that man should be put to death. And seeing as I am a christian and try to follow what it says... Then I'll be for it... don't like the idea of death myself, but if someone can take another persons life... yeah I just don't know.
i agree with u on somethings. like with the bible and being christian and trying 2 follow what the bible says. but i think i am for it. b/c if u take another life then what right do u have 2 ur own. that person or persons that u killed don't really have a second chance at life. but u the killer if u get life in prison u still have a chance 2 live. and how r u goin 2 repent 4 this sin. ur not and u still get 2 live. it may not be the best life u'll get but u still lived and if u r proven innocent then u get 2 live w/ the fact that u kill ppl. i would have gone insane over this but i'm not a killer so whatever right.

I Love Elfy
01-07-2005, 07:51 AM
i think its in there too.

En Svensk Tiger
01-07-2005, 08:59 AM
We are not killing an innocent person. Almost impossible to be sure of.

We put no others at risk when we execute. So what? Some people kill other people with no risks of others getting hurt too, does that make it ok?

We are not robbing anyone of a loved one, the criminal removed himself when he decided that his personal vendettas or his personal greed superceeded the laws of society and the feelings of the innocent families involved including his own. Not true. If say, someone close to you committed such an act, would you automatically stop caring for them, thinking that they deserved nothing else than death?

Bottom line, I like you Pakachu you got your opinion, I got mine bla bla bla, I don't like arguing with you -.- Still, what you say would be true in the perferct world, with the perfect legal system, ensuring that the one convicted definately is guilty.
Though I'd still be against it if that were the case -.-

♥Ritsuka♥
01-07-2005, 10:14 PM
well I would have to say I am against, it is not our decision to decide weather someone lives or dies, if we care that much about what they might do lets stick them in jail.....I dont like hurting people.....*sighs*

Hotsprings_Shinobu
01-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Although i hate the thought of killing people i am for the death penalty. I mean you can't kill someone and expect to leve the rest of your life in jail. The fear of being punished by death in choosing NOT to kill someone sometimes. "YOu take someone's life; you pay the uliment price."

BTW I like your sig Shinobu87 ;-)

I Love Elfy
01-10-2005, 08:08 AM
im for it and thats that

insanetrain
01-10-2005, 08:10 AM
i am for the death penalty because if you kill somebody you should be killed yourself we shouldn't pay for you to live in our prisons

Pakachu
01-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Almost impossible to be sure of.
So what? Some people kill other people with no risks of others getting hurt too, does that make it ok?no... but in my opinion its better.
i'd rather see 1 shot 1 kill versus random spray in the middle of a crowded mall without regard for innocent bystanders.

Not true. If say, someone close to you committed such an act, would you automatically stop caring for them, thinking that they deserved nothing else than death?Probably not, but i would also understand that they're the one that f'd up and they have to attone for their crimes.
basically what i was trying to say is, it was their choice to commit the crime.
therefore they are the ones responsible for all the pain associated with it.

Bottom line, I like you Pakachu you got your opinion, I got mine bla bla bla, I don't like arguing with you -.- Still, what you say would be true in the perferct world, with the perfect legal system, ensuring that the one convicted definately is guilty.
Though I'd still be against it if that were the case -.-
ya gotta understand that when i'm speaking of the death sentance i'm refering to repeat offenders.(chances of someone getting falsely convicted twice are pretty slim...)

i understand what your saying and i got a lot of respect for you too but i gotta defend my beliefs just you are.
(btw... i can be stubborn as heck in case ya havent noticed^^;; )

sword_master
01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
for it people who kill deserve to be killed

Ninja Hatake Kakashi
03-09-2005, 10:57 PM
tell me what do u think about this subject.Is it wrong.Or is it right.Please explain your answer.

Mod Note: Thread has been merged

Ami~chan
03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I am not really sure what to say about this; killing someone for the crimes they've committed is just making us a murderer as well. But if the crime is so great as to deserve death, than I think they should get the chair, or whatever.

DownRight-eviL
03-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Eh.. *shrugs* Right?? Wrong?? How can anyone condemn a person to death just 'cause we feel it's immorally wrong?? Well that depends... I guess... If that person did a terrible, terrible... TERRIBLE.. And I MEAN terrible, crime, like say for instance that he murdered a poor, innocent little girl... He hath condemned himself to burn in hell forever... It is God's will to destroy all the wicked and evil, to purify the world and kill all idiots...

Hahah, just joking... I'm just neutral... I have no idea if it's gewd for anyone to be sentenced to death... Hahah, even IF I was God, I would just say, "Give that man a chance, he deserves a chance... Just ONE chance.." But that's just me... I'm not God, so too bad.

P.S. We shall not condemm eachother or we will burn in deepest pits of hell forever after. We shall play the jiggy with the devil, and for fun, we shall burn and burn, dying again and again, laughing.

WeyrDragon
03-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Personally i feel that the death sentence is certainly applicable to most crimes that are committed. I'ts like the whole thing of learning from your mistakes. Though, instead, this is a deterrent from making those mistakes in the first place. I'ts really late, and i'm having troubles thinking right now, ill post again later.

Ami~chan
03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I thought people go to jail so they can leave jail having learnt a lesson; killing them is really not teaching them anything.

Isunamaru
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
umm...but if their still their and they committed the murder willingly then by allowing them to live we don't teach them anything.....to make them learn the lesson roll them around in a bag full of sharp blades.....

dragoninja
03-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Unfirtunatly we live in a time of "the rich get stronger and the poor get screwed." By that I mean the real people controling this age in time is the guys with the $ and if they dont like you then your screwed.

Think twice the next time you see someone say they didnt do it. Maybe they didnt.

Jd Blade
03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I thought people go to jail so they can leave jail having learnt a lesson; killing them is really not teaching them anything. I would agree with that except what if they are in for life? Personaly, I agree with Hanorabi code. Eye for an eye...

Ninja Hatake Kakashi
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
i agree wit ami chan and insumaru...

Ollie
03-14-2005, 01:21 AM
on the contrary. Killing them may not teach them anything, but there ARE people who are incurably criminal. Sociopaths can strangle a group of children for no particular reason and feel no remorse, or convince themselves they didn't do it. Why keep such people alive?

I recently read an article on a man who was captured [BTK Murderer, i think], and it was mentioned that these killers are the deadliest because no one expects them to be killers in any way. They lead double lives, sort of like a comicbook superhero. During the day, Joe Average attends church and helps the old lady across the street with her groceries. Come night, he randomly attacks strangers on the street and kills them. These people are perfectly capable of leading normal lives.

besides, keeping people in jail costs money - food, clothes, water, electricity...the death sentence rids the world of another devourer of resources and psycho that we never needed.

Ninja Hatake Kakashi
03-14-2005, 01:28 AM
thats true and i heard of btk it means bind them tortue them and kill them right

Isunamaru
03-14-2005, 10:20 AM
on the contrary. Killing them may not teach them anything, but there ARE people who are incurably criminal. Sociopaths can strangle a group of children for no particular reason and feel no remorse, or convince themselves they didn't do it. Why keep such people alive?

I recently read an article on a man who was captured [BTK Murderer, i think], and it was mentioned that these killers are the deadliest because no one expects them to be killers in any way. They lead double lives, sort of like a comicbook superhero. During the day, Joe Average attends church and helps the old lady across the street with her groceries. Come night, he randomly attacks strangers on the street and kills them. These people are perfectly capable of leading normal lives.

besides, keeping people in jail costs money - food, clothes, water, electricity...the death sentence rids the world of another devourer of resources and psycho that we never needed.
However it usually cost a lot more with all the appeals and court fees to kill someone than leave them in jail for the next 40 to 50 years

Queen-of-Mars
03-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I believe in the death penalty, but I do NOT believe in the longevity of the process. People who kill others DO deserve to die. A famous comic once said, "If you come to Texas and kill someone, we will kill you back". Funny, yes, but true. Texas is a state that isn't shy about killing people, no matter if they are man or woman and will continue to do so.

thief!
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
it is ok

Pakachu
03-14-2005, 11:24 AM
"jail, where society sends it's failures. unfortunatly, society itself is failing."

WeyrDragon
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
"jail, where society sends it's failures. unfortunatly, society itself is failing."
Society is failing because of prisons. Prisons are like a home away from home. Many criminals commit another crime when they get out of prison just so that they can go back there, because its much better than having to work for a living out in the real world, they get three square meals a day, internet access, outdoor rec, cable, etcetera, all on the taxpayers dollar, maybe if prisons werent so nice, people wouldnt want to be in them, and there would be less crime.

Isunamaru
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
hmm....we were talking about this in World History a few weeks ago and eventually it boiled down to ways to kill people...i think it should vary depending upon the crime committed like one of my friends said "if you shoot someone then they should just shoot you in the stomach, slow and painful"....he also said "if you do something like the 9/11 bombings then they should hang you by your feet and pull of your skin with metal forceps...bit by bit...."...

Poetnevermore
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I think it's wrong. What ever happened to the CDV Life? I mean I know the death sentance is for those who have commited suicide or something like that, but couldn't they just be put in jail for life or something? I mean everyone is given the choice of life. If we sentence someone to death, then we're just as bad as they were. Right?

Zedekiah
03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
I mean I know the death sentance is for those who have commited suicide or something like that, but couldn't they just be put in jail for life or something?
Whaaaaaat?

If we sentence someone to death, then we're just as bad as they were. Right?
Not really. Thinking we're so high and righteous is a bad thing to begin with.
And what's so bad about that? If you come up with moral or ethics, I'll throw cheese at you.

Imagine how'd it be if they'd all refuse to punish people 'cause we'd think it'd make us as bad as them..

Haha, at least you still have the luxury of thinking you're somewhat "good". Even if it's only a mental state.

Isunamaru
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
I think it's wrong. What ever happened to the CDV Life? I mean I know the death sentance is for those who have commited suicide or something like that, but couldn't they just be put in jail for life or something? I mean everyone is given the choice of life. If we sentence someone to death, then we're just as bad as they were. Right? hmm....you could say that yet how would we punish these criminals? if we feared the consequences of hurting EVERYONE then we would never be able to evolve a society cause we would be to afraid to take actions to better the quality of life....as well as the fact that if there were no consequences then there would prolly be several thousands more murders each month....

AngelWolf
03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I agree with Dragoninja and WeyrDragon.

Poetnevermore
03-25-2005, 03:17 PM
hmm....you could say that yet how would we punish these criminals? if we feared the consequences of hurting EVERYONE then we would never be able to evolve a society cause we would be to afraid to take actions to better the quality of life....as well as the fact that if there were no consequences then there would prolly be several thousands more murders each month....
Wouldn't it be better having the crimminals sit in jail and think about what they've done and be in jail for the rest of their lives?

Tsuna Kadiri
03-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Wouldn't it be better having the crimminals sit in jail and think about what they've done and be in jail for the rest of their lives?
Not neccesarily. As someone said already, it would cost more to take care of another person.. And what do they really learn sitting in jail? Nothing. They sit there, and just wait for death. As you can probably already tell, I'm somewhat for/agreeing with the death sentance.

I mean I know the death sentance is for those who have commited suicide or something like that, but couldn't they just be put in jail for life or something?

... Do you even know what the definiton of "suicide" is? ..*sigh*

Poetnevermore
03-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Not neccesarily. As someone said already, it would cost more to take care of another person.. And what do they really learn sitting in jail? Nothing. They sit there, and just wait for death. As you can probably already tell, I'm somewhat for/agreeing with the death sentance.

... Do you even know what the definiton of "suicide" is? ..*sigh*
Yes I know what the word "suicide" means. What I mean by my previous statement is that if they are sitting in jail waiting for death then thats every day they're thinking about what they've done and if they sit in jail for the rest of their life then they would stat to wish they hadn't done what they did.

Ollie
03-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I mean I know the death sentance is for those who have commited suicide or something like that, but couldn't they just be put in jail for life or something?I can tell from this that you must be extremely Christian, because not only does that sentence not make sense, but it is also completely stupid as well.

xCalypsox
03-25-2005, 07:18 PM
I think only hardcore criminals should get the sentence, the one's you know are evil...like serial rapists or serial killers...they usually have a sick twisted smile on their face. Other than that no one should die. It's wrong. Who knows, maybe one day they can repent for their sins.

Zedekiah
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
I can tell from this that you must be extremely Christian, because not only does that sentence not make sense, but it is also completely stupid as well.
Amen, sister! Let's find our bolt rifles and kill some queers! [/teksikan]

Ollie
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I think only hardcore criminals should get the sentence, the one's you know are evil...like serial rapists or serial killers...they usually have a sick twisted smile on their face. Other than that no one should die. It's wrong. Who knows, maybe one day they can repent for their sins.i doubt they will ever take that chance. The kind that do tend to regret it the day after, otherwise they'll argue that the chick was willing or that it was self-defense. Not that it DOESN'T happen ever, but don't count on it. It's unlikely the victim [or family] will ever forgive, either. :rollt:

edit*

Amen, sister! Let's find our bolt rifles and kill some queers! [/teksikan]http://www.thekidsarentalright.org/forum/images/smiles/tk2a-eyebrow.gif

Poetnevermore
03-26-2005, 07:51 AM
I think only hardcore criminals should get the sentence, the one's you know are evil...like serial rapists or serial killers...they usually have a sick twisted smile on their face. Other than that no one should die. It's wrong. Who knows, maybe one day they can repent for their sins.
I am in toatal agreement with you.

Poetnevermore
03-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I am against the death penalty. Like I stated in another thread that what happened to the CDV Life? Everyone deserves to live. Even the criminals, but let the sit and rot in jail instead.

Ami~chan
03-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Isn't the point of going to jail coming out having learnt a lesson never to break the law again? Well, when you're in an electric chair, or about to be put to sleep, what lesson did you learn? I say let them rot in jail until the day they die, if the crime is so great. That way, they can truly learn regret.

♥Ritsuka♥
04-01-2005, 06:24 AM
I guess I would be against it in most cases, I suppose we dont have the right as humans ourselves to choose weather or not someone dies thats all I have to say.

termed
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
i am totally aginst it *grabs bible and scans ten commandments* it clearly states in the ten commandments that thou shall not kill so if someone was to commit murder and then you give them the death penalty is the same thing as murdering the person which would mean you would be doing wrong also:ooh:

Bean Bandit
04-01-2005, 05:26 PM
ughhh

The ten commandments? *falls over*

Apparently a lot of people need to read the bible, and all its flaws and contradictions better.

Has anyone truly read the bible? Anyone notice how much killing went on in it and how much rape and incest god has allowed and wanted?

Exodus 21:20
And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he [is] his money.0

So basically it is ok to beat your servant to death, as long as he doesn't die the same day? Sad isnt it?

God commands the murder of infants I see below:
I Samuel 15:3
Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

So if your disobedient and rebel against your parents you die? Thank god we do not practice the bible for what it truly is.
Deuteronomy 21:18
21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and [that], when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

21:19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son [is] stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; [he is] a glutton, and a drunkard.

21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I hope no one hear has ever swore at there parents...
Exodus 21:17
And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:9
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood [shall be] upon him..

So if you believe in another religion this is what happens to you? God wants us to rip open pregnant womena and slice there unborn babies to pieces?
Hosea 13:16
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Sorry it is hwy I do not like ever seeing topics with religion in them. Because it is flawed.
We are allowed to kill, we are allowed to rape and we are allowed to have incest if we do it Gods way...

No thank you.

Slayerfan
04-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm for the death penalty, one of the reasons is there can be an overpopulation in the prisons forcing the Government to build more prisons draining the nation's money

Silver_Star_of_Darkness
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm against it because if they kill someone then they can just call themselves murdures. (sp) Having the death penatly just makes America look bad and we are I think the 2 or 3 country that had killed the most people in the year 2003 or 2004.

Chouji
04-02-2005, 11:46 AM
i am for it ( eye for a eye life for a life )

♥Ritsuka♥
04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
ughhh

The ten commandments? *falls over*

Apparently a lot of people need to read the bible, and all its flaws and contradictions better.

Has anyone truly read the bible? Anyone notice how much killing went on in it and how much rape and incest god has allowed and wanted?

Exodus 21:20
And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he [is] his money.0

So basically it is ok to beat your servant to death, as long as he doesn't die the same day? Sad isnt it?

God commands the murder of infants I see below:
I Samuel 15:3
Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

So if your disobedient and rebel against your parents you die? Thank god we do not practice the bible for what it truly is.
Deuteronomy 21:18
21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and [that], when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

21:19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son [is] stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; [he is] a glutton, and a drunkard.

21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I hope no one hear has ever swore at there parents...
Exodus 21:17
And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:9
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood [shall be] upon him..

So if you believe in another religion this is what happens to you? God wants us to rip open pregnant womena and slice there unborn babies to pieces?
Hosea 13:16
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Sorry it is hwy I do not like ever seeing topics with religion in them. Because it is flawed.
We are allowed to kill, we are allowed to rape and we are allowed to have incest if we do it Gods way...

No thank you.Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

True, elsewhere in the bible it does say "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" but its overrated. It also says "The greatest is love" and "love your neighbor as yourself". Even if someone commits a sin, of Rape, Murder, Adultery, Lying, whatever... It's not our place to judge it. God sees all sins the same... by us making the choice whether someone lives or dies is making us play God. It's not our right to say who lives and who dies.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
--Gandhi--

Tiggit
04-02-2005, 01:40 PM
i am for it ( eye for a eye life for a life ) im against it cus' even if your being tourtored you still have the blessing of life in which you should be thank full.

and of the quote the person who kills you is in violation of the ten comandments besides all people will die but life on earth is a test of your loyallty to god or whomever you wershop and if you ask with all your heart you can be forgiven only by the almighty. and humans do not have the right to make the choice of punishment for the crimes they have commeted

♥Ritsuka♥
04-03-2005, 02:28 PM
im against it cus' even if your being tourtored you still have the blessing of life in which you should be thank full.

and of the quote the person who kills you is in violation of the ten comandments besides all people will die but life on earth is a test of your loyallty to god or whomever you wershop and if you ask with all your heart you can be forgiven only by the almighty. and humans do not have the right to make the choice of punishment for the crimes they have commeted
I totally agree, as i said before humans don't have the right to judge and decide for other people, who are merely, just like themselves, humans... after all, we all make mistakes and we all sin, therefore judging someone elses sins or deciding upon them is just like judging ourselves. We have no right to say who lives or dies. And for those people who think they do, vengeance is the Lords. Not ours.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
--Gandhi--

Chaos Sushi
04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
im not for the death penalty because they dont learn their lesson if they just die itsd like a loop hole to prison but i do think they should be able to be beaten for a very bad crime.

Youma
04-03-2005, 04:52 PM
But what is "a very bad crime"?

Many people by example think that terrorists should have no right at all. That includes the right to a fair trial. A fair trial that would determine if one really is a terrorist or was innocent. Accepting this means that anyone accused should be treated as guilty and possibly executed. That would be very very convenient for any government but is it desirable for the people?

I'm afraid of the law since I was wrongly arrested. I see how our "free" country is ready to round up 700 students, arrest them, beat them up and release them half starved days later because the police thought there was communists among them. I'm against giving any more power to police and tribunals as long as nothing is done to make absolutely sure that judiciary abuse and mistakes no longer happen, and that political arrests aren't tolerated. In the USA Mumia Abu Jamal spent half of his life in death row because of his political opinion, convicted of a crime we has proved being innocent of. This happens all the time, and I see it a far greater danger than the crimes it could eventually discourage. I remember a song titled "I am the state" who talked about dictatorship, and it defined it as "when the bandit is also the law". Well lately, it's been a little difficult to tell the bandit from the law.

♥Ritsuka♥
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
But what is "a very bad crime"?

Many people by example think that terrorists should have no right at all. That includes the right to a fair trial. A fair trial that would determine if one really is a terrorist or was innocent. Accepting this means that anyone accused should be treated as guilty and possibly executed. That would be very very convenient for any government but is it desirable for the people?

I'm afraid of the law since I was wrongly arrested. I see how our "free" country is ready to round up 700 students, arrest them, beat them up and release them half starved days later because the police thought there was communists among them. I'm against giving any more power to police and tribunals as long as nothing is done to make absolutely sure that judiciary abuse and mistakes no longer happen, and that political arrests aren't tolerated. In the USA Mumia Abu Jamal spent half of his life in death row because of his political opinion, convicted of a crime we has proved being innocent of. This happens all the time, and I see it a far greater danger than the crimes it could eventually discourage. I remember a song titled "I am the state" who talked about dictatorship, and it defined it as "when the bandit is also the law". Well lately, it's been a little difficult to tell the bandit from the law.

I totally agree with you, and what of the people who are killed because of a crime that they are founded guilty for and then later the government finds out that they were wrong in their asumption of them. I say that someones life is not worth making a mistake, I mean innocent people shouldnt die because of a crime someone els committed, if you ask me this sounds a lot like whats going on in Iraq. ^_^ I truly hope no one finds my opinions offensive, they are opinions thats all.........*rubs the back of her neck*

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
--Gandi--

Janus Silverlock
04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I totally agree with you, and what of the people who are killed because of a crime that they are founded guilty for and then later the government finds out that they were wrong in their asumption of them. I say that someones life is not worth making a mistake, I mean innocent people shouldnt die because of a crime someone els committed, if you ask me this sounds a lot like whats going on in Iraq. ^_^ I truly hope no one finds my opinions offensive, they are opinions thats all.........*rubs the back of her neck*

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
--Gandi--
grr. I find your opinions offensive! lol i'm just kidding babe... but here i go, my turn to take my position.

Okay... Death Penalty, in essence I disagree with. There are fates so much WORSE than death that most of the people committed of those crimes deserve... and I realize that we shouldn't make the decision to kill another person, because we don't have the rights to their lives... however, I know that, in the heat of angry passion, if I would walk in on a man raping my beloved Goddess... I would blow them away. I would kill them. Sure... perhaps i'd regret it later.. but, that's what i feel i would end up doing. Emotions tend to mess with the way we think, and in that situation, nothing else would matter except for protecting my love, and eliminating the intruder who was doing such a horrible thing to her. Death... *sighs* is not pretty... and i don't like it. But love would drive even me, one of the gentlest people you could meet... to kill.

banzii
04-14-2005, 06:31 AM
im from texas and if you kill someone here we will kill you back!

~mystery~
04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
against for the most part, i think it all depends on the situation. if there is no definite proof the person killed someone, then you shouldnt end their lives. life is something to be treasured...who are we to decide who lives and who dies?

Hungry man
04-14-2005, 08:49 AM
i think that the world shouldnt have a death penalty because people only live one but if somebody kills somebody else and if they dont get the death penalty they still get a long time in prison or life time prison

banzii
04-14-2005, 09:01 AM
an eye for an eye

Poetnevermore
04-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I live in Michigan and I am glad I do because we don't have the death penalty and I am against it, I think we should just let the person rot in jail.

Poetnevermore
04-14-2005, 09:05 AM
an eye for an eye
That may be true, but....

sephiroth33
04-14-2005, 11:50 AM
i think it is niether good or bad but when criminals ar sitting in prison and eating they are kepping them feed who do you think pays for that the tax payers it costs alot of money but most people dont think of it that way

~mystery~
04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
but see if we didnt put people to death, our good tax money would go to keeping them alive in jail, thats why i think that sometimes, death is better. but still..life is such a good thing to waste..why do something that terrible to another in the first place?

Ansatsusha_18
05-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Killing a prisoner for the deeds they have done is like setting them free. I am against the death penalties. Staying in a prison turns into a life for them, so what else can you do to punish those who commit horrible crimes?

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Thank you, reviver of "The Best Thread Anime Forums has Ever Produced."

Seriously. Minako, the Norwegians, Dieselmannen, Pakuchu and I were all on our A Game.

Anyway, I posted my opinions on page 2 or so. Haven't changed them any.

Piper
05-20-2006, 08:07 PM
No, I do not believe in the death penelty. My reasons? If you are going to sentence a man to death, for killing, you are no better than he is. AND it's letting him off, easy. They put you to death quick (nowadays), otherwise it's cruel punishment or some crazy thing like that.

I think they need to make the prison system more secure AND un-friendly. TAKE away their TV, do NOT let them work out. Make them suffer, where all the can do is SIT there, eat, read, and stare at the wall.

It's sickening that a man in prison gets a free high school education/GED, while the rest of us have to work VERY hard to get that peice of paper. AND, a prisoner can get their college education in there as well. Is this right? NO.

Should they be able to, when released? YES. But the hard way, like -everyone- else.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-20-2006, 09:01 PM
No, I do not believe in the death penelty. My reasons? If you are going to sentence a man to death, for killing, you are no better than he is. AND it's letting him off, easy. They put you to death quick (nowadays), otherwise it's cruel punishment or some crazy thing like that.
Any society that is too afraid of "lowering" itself to a criminal’s level by killing them is utterly imbecilic. Nation-states have always reserved the right to kill people for itself alone. If anything, it's the individual raising himself to the level of a nation-state that is the problem.

Likewise, as Noki said regarding letting them rot...

Sadism over cost.

Cute, but not what would benefit us.
They have chosen to live outside of society’s self imposed restrictions, but they still act as a leech on society. What do you do with leeches? Put them in jars and feed them blood with a dropper? Career criminals will never be successful members of society, they will either stay in prison, commit more crimes, or work worthless jobs.

I think they need to make the prison system more secure AND un-friendly. TAKE away their TV, do NOT let them work out. Make them suffer, where all the can do is SIT there, eat, read, and stare at the wall.
Agree.

It's sickening that a man in prison gets a free high school education/GED, while the rest of us have to work VERY hard to get that peice of paper. AND, a prisoner can get their college education in there as well. Is this right? NO.

Should they be able to, when released? YES. But the hard way, like -everyone- else.
GED is stupid easy. I know, as I got one instead of going through the horrible Florida school system. I never once studied, or prepared in anyway, and out of 5 subjects got in the 80th percentile on two, and 90th percentile on the other three. I have no respect for anyone who can't pass it. Anyway, it's intended to get the non-career criminals up to snuff for reintegration into society. I have no problem with educating them, at least as it applies to GED/HSD.

animeglobe
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM

i agree in my thoughts i disapprove the death penalty. if someone kills other person and then they are sentence to death what would that make you. your still killing people it's just your able to do that legally, another example for why i dissapprove it. if you get convicted of killing someone and you know you didn't and your being accused of murder you haven't done and your sentence to death row and no one found out the ruth untill your dead and such. so basically you just killed a innocent person that have done nothing worng and probably been somewhere at the worng time and such. but like i say i dissapprove it in someways.

Number_the_Stars
05-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm against it for two reasons... 1. here in America it's actually cheaper to keep prisoners alive because all of the appeals they are allowed are pretty darn expensive... 2. death is the easy way out for them... I'd rather them have to sit and rot thinking about what they did for the rest of their natural life then the needle or whatever......

Lucidian Dyne
05-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Really, I read none of the eight pages that were typed up to this point.

Do I believe in the death penalty? I believe in whacking weeds, if that helps. Gotta tend to our garden somehow.

Sasaki_Kojiro
05-21-2006, 12:42 PM
IT doesnt bring anyone back so why kill a man he knows what he has done let him live out his seeing the face of whom he killed.BUT people who rape Little kids shoot them on site dont care about them kill'em all let them burn

Claudio Oricroix
05-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I am against the killing thing. Only if t is self defense.
I thinkDeath penalty is a little easy. They should just let them rot in prison. with guilt.

Claudio Oricroix
05-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I like the torchering for the punishment.

Missy
05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Closed for Length. http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Sidenote: Please do NOT double-post.