PDA

View Full Version : Dumb, but Fun Anime

PictureGuy
02-21-2019, 07:11 PM
I think I may have done this before, but what the heck.

What is “dumb, but fun?” The anime is dumb. The story is dumb. The characters are dumb. Even the animation could be dumb. But it is still a hellava lot of fun to watch.

Now I don’t mean series which are unintentionally dumb. These anime samples are meant to be stupid – and fun. I will list a few. You can add on. I will try to think of more later.

FLCL. The all time dumb, but fun champ. Yes, the FLCL reputation was damaged by FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternate. But the original is fast, kick-ass, and stupid. But it’s a whole lot of fun Naota, the one normal character, try to cope with the insanity.

Aggretsuko. This is the story of a cute little bear who has a thankless job, a sexist boss, and a hobby of singing heavy metal karaoke. For a dumb, but fun, it does have a few lessons on life – sort of unknown in the dumb, but fun world.

Kill la Kill. Ryuko is out to avenge her father’s murder by running around half-naked with half of a giant pair of scissors. Eventually she joins forces with her greatest enemy to save mankind from their own clothing. Meanwhile, little Mako keeps the insanity going at a record pace.

Kill Me Baby. Yasuna is a little schoolgirl who is trying to be best friends with Sonya, a classmate who is also a highly trained assassin. Then there is Agiri, another classmate and a ninja with many tricks to sell.

Cromartie High. A good boy is accidentally sent to a school for juvenile delinquents. He becomes leader of one of four gangs. The rival gang leaders are a robot, a gorilla, and Freddy Mercury. Eventually our hero become the leader of all gangs thanks to his knowledge of yogurt. The series also satirizes various aspects of Japanese culture, so if you are not familiar with much of Japanese culture you may miss some of the jokes. I did. Still it's worth watching. BTW, all schools in this anime are named for Americas who played baseball in Japan.

Your turn.

Takatofan1986
02-21-2019, 07:43 PM
I keep meaning to watch Cromartie High.

I will always say Yakitate!! Japan, A guy with "Solar Hands" that makes bread extra special, and when people eat it, they have crazy reactions.

Space Dandy. This show has such a charm to it. It's such a parody of space/futuristic anime. I really thought it was a direct spoof of Cowboy Bebop, but I never found anything supporting that. It's a lot of fun if you don't take it seriously. They die at the end of several episodes. (And are turned into zombies in another.)

The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K. - This is another favorite of mine. Saiki was born with Psychic powers. Thing is? He hates that he does, and just wants to be normal, but nothing ever goes right for him.

...Somehow I already don't remember much but... I feel like Mob Psycho fits? But somehow I don't remember much, other than it was fun.

Oh! Edo Rocket - About the Feudal era Japan, where fireworks are banned, but a kid keeps making them anyway and... an alien finds him and wants him to build a rocket to the moon... if that wasn't crazy enough, 4th wall breaks, and things like TVs and other modern things appear even though they shouldn't.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

(Note: I really wanted to include Ouran, but I felt that slowly got deeper the longer that it went.)

PictureGuy
02-21-2019, 08:31 PM
I forgot Space Dandy -- a dandy guy in space. :laugh:

Mob Psycho? It's got some laughs, but it also has some serious moments. Semi-dumb, but fun maybe.

Ouran Host Club also had some laughs and ridiculous situations. But underneath I feel there was some serious romance between Haruhi and Tamaki. I understand the anime stopped at a point in the story just before the manga got it going. Yes, this is more of a romance anime. At least it would have been if there would have been another season. Either way, it was a good anime.