PDA

View Full Version : 'Your Name' anime movie from Makoto Shinkai to be remade by JJ Abrams

Kaitou Ace
10-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Yup, another one of these. The hit anime movie 'Your Name' is being re-made into a live action movie by J.J. Abrams. Maybe this one will be a bit easier to make, but the original is quite a gorgeous cinematic experience already, and I am curious to see what JJ will do with it. Of course its worth noting that Hollywood adaptations of anime movies have been lackluster at best, and DBZ:Evolution at (arguably) worst.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j-j-abrams-your-name-remake-paramount-1202574994/

Zainox
10-01-2017, 02:22 PM
I agree that this one would be easier for them to do. I think it's a good choice at least for a live action adaption. I'm a lot more hopeful of this turning out well compared to others that have been low-key announced.

Kaitou Ace
10-01-2017, 04:04 PM
True, and J.J. isn't a bad director. But it has quite a hill to climb. I think the best anime to US live action adaptation so far was Ghost in the Shell and the movie was ok at best really, it just wasn't awful.

PictureGuy
10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
It might make a good live action movie. My guess it would be relocated. Maybe to Puerto Rico, and they can make it about the hurricane. Well, that may be logistically difficult considering the story's time line.

I think a better idea would be to take the original anime film and give it a larger release.

I did a write up here on Your Name. Not to hawk my writing, but: https://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?132645-Your-Name-(2016)

If you haven't read it yet and are interested. :twocents:

Immoral
10-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single live action anime movie that I liked.

Digimon_Sommelier
10-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Anime should be anime.

'cept when it comes to Digimon.

I'm biased; what I reckon, y'all.

PictureGuy
10-07-2017, 10:05 PM
I did like the Boogiepop live action film, but that was based on the books more than the anime -- or so I was lead to believe.

The Death Note live action movies were pretty good. I am talking about the Japanese ones, not the series on Netflix. I haven't seen that one yet.

Kumagawa
10-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single live action anime movie that I liked.

not even edge of tomorrow? technically a manga adaptation but still

Kaitou Ace
10-11-2017, 08:41 PM

An adaptation so loose I didn't really consider it, but that was a very enjoyable movie, I will give it that. Tom Cruise might be all sorts of crazy, but he can definitely pull a film.

Immoral
10-19-2017, 09:31 PM
I honestly didn't know that was a manga adaptation. I will agree with Ace, that it was enjoyable, though. I think the main thing I liked about it was watching Tom Cruise die over and over.

Pinkuuuu
10-25-2017, 05:32 PM
I don't like it when they make live action version of anime, they ususally make them ruuuubish!!!!