PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't These Shows Very Well Known + Mainstream???

IslaDelDiablo
08-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Feel free to add any completely underrated shows to the list.
Just for the record: I've been an anime fan for more than half my lifetime and the below anime are my favorites in descending order:

1. No. 6
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3. Natsume Yuujinchou
4. Magi Series (Labyrinth of Magic, Kingdom of Magic, Sinbad no Bouken)

The first two have yaoi + yuri themes, so I kind of understand why they maybe wouldn't have made it so big in mainstream anime media (BUT THEN YURI ON ICE??? REALLY??? WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT IT?? NO OFFENSE, IT'S NOT HORRIBLE BUT DOES IT REALLY MERIT SO MUCH ATTENTION? Otabek x Yurio for life tho).

I seriously don't understand how such stellar shows can sometimes seem to go completely unnoticed; ESPECIALLY NO. 6!!! I'll see references for PMMM and Natsume Yuujinchou, and rarely for the Magi series-- BUT NEVER NO. 6!! The narrative is told beautifully, the world is well developed, and the characters are so full and brimming with life. The main characters' relationship isn't the only focus (Because there's actually plot... Not YOI, haha) and it's realistically gradual and so romantic, and not forced at all. You get to know the characters before they're forced into a relationship, which I really feel is not common in many stories!!! I LEGITIMATELY NEED SOME EXPLANATION AS TO WHY I'D NEVER HEARD OF THIS ANIME BEFORE!!! WHY DIDN'T IT MAKE IT BIG???

NO. 6 IS AT LEAST 40% OF WHY I'M LEARNING JAPANESE!! (That's a huge percentage, since I know hundreds of shows, mangas, doujinshis, and mangakas) I really need to read the source material, the novels...

But why? Why SAO? (It... Quickly went to crap) Why YOI? (Just... So overrated. The characters feel horribly 2D but somehow OtaYuri struck a chord with me) Why not the anime that explore life and reality so beautifully? (My first and third fav anime in particular) Why not the anime with such raw, powerful beauty? (PMMM FTW)

Again, feel free to add on other underrated anime... I'd love to hear some... I'd also like to hear why certain anime or such high quality never cause so much of a stir? Seriously, go on a rant if you want, haha...

PictureGuy
08-29-2017, 09:11 PM
1. No. 6
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3. Natsume Yuujinchou
4. Magi Series (Labyrinth of Magic, Kingdom of Magic, Sinbad no Bouken)

No. 6 is one I have never heard of. Also Natsume Yuujinchou I don't know. What is its English name? What are they about?

I have seen Labyrinth of Magic and Kingdom of Magic. Both are good, but not all time classics.

Now Puella Magi Madoka Magica is well know. It is a popular series, especially among those of us who like it dark. It has been mentioned frequently by others besides myself.

Kumagawa
08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
what planet are you from where madoka isnt popular

PictureGuy
08-30-2017, 09:47 PM
what planet are you from where madoka isnt popular

The planet of the Incubators! :duck:

IslaDelDiablo
08-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Haha, PMMM is quite popular! Just not super mainstream... It took me about 6 years to discover it, tho? I'm not quite sure why, because it's a great show. Maybe because I'm the type of fan who likes to live under a rock? Haha .-.

No. 6 is a show about a privileged boy in an "ideal" dystopian city who gives shelter to a fugitive when they're both 12. The privileged boy, Shion, later reunites with the fugitive, Nezumi, and... The show kicks off with them... Just doing their thing, which is nice. It's also romantic af??? I used to be a hardcore shoujo fan but No. 6 does it way, way better. I think I really fell for the show because of how surprisingly well developed the characters are for how short the series is. (Meanwhile... Idk, Fate Stay Night has me barely knowing the protagonist, whereas I feel like I know the characters in No. 6 better)

Natsume Yuujinchou is the most slice of life feely thing you'll ever find. It's by the same author of Hotarubi no Mori E, if that name rings a bell. :) It's about a boy who can see youkai and has a book of names (from his badass grandmother) that gives him complete control over the youkai whose names are in it. Natsume's a nice boy though, so he doesn't try to take over the world or anything, haha. He just returns the names w/ his, uhh... Youkai friend called "Nyanko-Sensei". The show isn't forced and it's pretty nice and laid back so I like it alot. The plot's are pretty heartwarming...

So these "all time classics" you mentioned-- could you name a few? :3

PictureGuy
08-31-2017, 05:29 PM
So these "all time classics" you mentioned-- could you name a few? :3

FLCL (best of the dumb, but fun)
Boggiepop Phantom (almost skipped this one because the name sounds so silly)
Lain (my favorite mind-f***.)
Durarara!! and DurararaX2!! (just plain off-center)

IslaDelDiablo
08-31-2017, 09:47 PM
FLCL (best of the dumb, but fun)
Boggiepop Phantom (almost skipped this one because the name sounds so silly)
Lain (my favorite mind-f***.)
Durarara!! and DurararaX2!! (just plain off-center)

Durarara, huh? I watched it and I honestly was sorta... Confused. Like what??? I didn't understand what happened after episode 7 or so. It might have to do with the fact I pulled an all nighter, but I re-watched it later and just got even more confused?!?!

PictureGuy
08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
Durarara, huh? I watched it and I honestly was sorta... Confused. Like what??? I didn't understand what happened after episode 7 or so. It might have to do with the fact I pulled an all nighter, but I re-watched it later and just got even more confused?!?!

There are quite a few characters and plots to keep up with. And you do have to pay it extra attention. But the confusion is part of the charm. It does all make some sense in the end.

Boogiepop Phantom also requires multiple watchings as the story is not told in chronological order. But again, that is part of the charm.

Both series require a taste for the off-beat. They are not for everyone, though they do both have a strong following.

RyuFromStreetfighter
09-01-2017, 06:15 AM
I got one title here that everyone has to see. SHIGURUI: DEATH FRENZY

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Same here! oh and also check out on hulu this anime is sickkk

IslaDelDiablo
09-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Holy Crap!! I just finished Shin Sekai Yori and I'm going to have to say that I like it even more than Madoka Magica!! AHHHH IT'S SO DEEP!!!
Man I really appreciate that show... Ahhhhhhh HHHHH does anyone else have any other suggestions so I can be unproductive right up until the day that I have to go back to school?

PictureGuy
09-01-2017, 03:21 PM
I got one title here that everyone has to see. SHIGURUI: DEATH FRENZY

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Same here! oh and also check out on hulu this anime is sickkk

Tell us more. What's the premise?

IslaDelDiablo
09-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Tell us more. What's the premise?

The story follows a group of 5 friends in a dystopian future where everyone has powers of psychokinesis. They unravel the truth, there's a lot of focus on relationships, and I stg everyone dies... Yay...

Honestly, I'd only begun watching it because I had found that the show featured both yaoi and yuri and wasn't categorized under either of the two, which I thought was interesting. I really like both?!?

RyuFromStreetfighter
09-04-2017, 05:16 AM
Its a samurai anime. the music is suspense and the action is intense. this is definitely not a kids anime. I don't want to talk too much about it because I will ruin it. its very short. you wont be disappointed tho.

IslaDelDiablo
09-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Its a samurai anime. the music is suspense and the action is intense. this is definitely not a kids anime. I don't want to talk too much about it because I will ruin it. its very short. you wont be disappointed tho.

Cool! I'll watch it!

Kumagawa
09-04-2017, 09:29 PM
keep in mind that an IQ higher than 80 is required to understand DRRR

IslaDelDiablo
09-06-2017, 07:56 PM
keep in mind that an IQ higher than 80 is required to understand DRRR
aHAHAHA thanks, you have a good sense of humor

Kumagawa
09-07-2017, 10:48 PM
aHAHAHA thanks, you have a good sense of humor

I'm glad SOMEONE understands its a joke