PDA

View Full Version : [TV Series] Samurai Deeper Kyo (2003)

PictureGuy
01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
This will only be a half-review, since I only watched half of Samurai Deeper Kyo. Frankly, I am surprised I got that far.

First the premise. Demon Eyes Kyo has been imprisoned within the body of an itinerant healer, but now he has broken out and taken over that body. He is searching for his real body, accompanied by a cute female bounty hunter and a couple of young renegade noblemen – for some reason. Together they all face enemies who have supernatural powers or can turn themselves into demons or both.

It’s not a bad start. It is a good premise, but we have seen it all done before and since – and done better. The artwork here is pretty good, but they really go too far in cutting corners in the animation. Stills are overused, even in the action sequences. This total lack of effort caused me to lose interest. Still I stayed with the series as long as I could, which is through the first three of six discs.

So I can’t recommend Samurai Deeper Kyo. I can’t even explain the title. What is a deeper?

La Féline
01-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Hah well, id say they meant deeper as in hes inside another body. Deeper in a psychic level.

PictureGuy
01-12-2017, 04:14 PM
That makes enough sense to me. We'll go with that answer.

Kyodai na Ōkoku
01-20-2017, 04:26 PM
I've read the manga. The story gets a lot deeper in the manga. You get to know more about the connection between Kyo and Mibu.
But I thought the manga was an average Battle - shounen.
If you want a better shounen with samurai I would recommended Rorouni Kenshin instead.

josephanime
01-23-2017, 04:32 AM
Deeper in a psychic level.

PictureGuy
01-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Deeper in a psychic level.

Now that I didn't get out of the series.

Shamo
02-15-2017, 12:58 AM
Yeah, don't watch the anime and do a review on it, the anime is ****. Read the manga, it's 10x's better and you can take my word on this, it is better written than YuYu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.

Also for the matter why it is called Samurai "Deeper" Kyo, I can't explain considering it would spoil the series in a way that you can connect the dots on what is going to and what is currently happening in the story.

http://i.imgur.com/dGhLCsy.jpg