PDA

View Full Version : Favorite minor character you wish you could have seen more of

PictureGuy
08-16-2016, 10:35 PM
What minor anime characters would you like to have seen more of? Who do you wish could have played a larger role in a series or movie? Who, just as they were becoming interesting, lost the interest of the writers and producers?

For me the choices are two teenage schoolgirl twins, Maiur and Kururi Orihara, who appear in DurararaX2. Maiur and Kururi are the estranged younger sisters of one of the main characters, Izaya Orihara. One is bold and outspoken, the other is more demure. Both personalities are artificial and manufactured by the girls. They care nothing about their brother, or so they say, but have inherited the same ability to handle themselves in a crises.

However, neither Maiur or Kururi manage to work themselves into any of the many plot-lines. By season three, they disappear. Oh, nothing nefarious. They are just dropped from the series without explanation.

I liked these characters, even if they are not put to any real use. Being Izaya’s sisters, I expected them to at least be movers in a small sub-plot. But that was just not in the cards.

Do you have a character like that who you wish you could have seen more of? Tell us about them. Why, who, what and where.

Yan Chan
08-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Petra Ral from Attack on Titan. I really should be saying all of the original Special Operations Squad, but I liked her character the most. I wish we knew more about her backstory; we have little to no background information about her. What was her past like? Did she lose anyone to the Titans? Why did she become a soldier, and pursue a career as a member of the Scouting Legion? *cough* Did she have any relations to Levi? *cough*. There's so much to know about her.

It'd be cool if there was an OVA released that was a flashback episode for all 4 late members: Petra, Auruo, Eld, and Gunther. But then again, I'd have to prepare a dozen boxes of tissues. I'm sure it won't be a cheery ride.

PictureGuy
08-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Petra Ral from Attack on Titan. I really should be saying all of the original Special Operations Squad, but I liked her character the most. I wish we knew more about her backstory; we have little to no background information about her. What was her past like? Did she lose anyone to the Titans? Why did she become a soldier, and pursue a career as a member of the Scouting Legion? *cough* Did she have any relations to Levi? *cough*. There's so much to know about her.

It'd be cool if there was an OVA released that was a flashback episode for all 4 late members: Petra, Auruo, Eld, and Gunther. But then again, I'd have to prepare a dozen boxes of tissues. I'm sure it won't be a cheery ride.

Which one was she again? Post her picture.

SentaiSenpai
08-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Butter Dog, from Gantz! xD

Nah but for reals, I could have used more of Gohan from DBZ I know he had plenty of screen time in certain parts, but he was treated so poorly after and before the Cell saga that I can't help but want a better role for the guy who was supposed to take over for Goku... 'till the fans ruined that :/

Yan Chan
08-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Which one was she again? Post her picture.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/shingekinokyojin/images/0/08/Petra_Ral_Character_Image.png

This be the chick.

PictureGuy
08-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Butter Dog, from Gantz! xD

Nah but for reals, I could have used more of Gohan from DBZ I know he had plenty of screen time in certain parts, but he was treated so poorly after and before the Cell saga that I can't help but want a better role for the guy who was supposed to take over for Goku... 'till the fans ruined that :/

Gohan was hardly a minor character.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/shingekinokyojin/images/0/08/Petra_Ral_Character_Image.png

This be the chick.

Such sad eyes.

SentaiSenpai
08-19-2016, 03:56 AM
Gohan was hardly a minor character. :\ I guess, I thought he felt like a pretty minor character given that his involvment before and after the Cell saga amount to pretty much nothing. I mean before the Cell saga he acomplishes nothing, he just gets beaten up so Goku has another person to save. He gets a bunch of training in Cell saga and becomes really important, then in buu saga just goes back to getting ignored. I mean I know he gets training from the Kai to become a god of sorts, but he gets punked by Buu right after. In the Return of F movie they flat out ask him if he even remembers how to go Super Sayain. He really wasn't all that important outside of one or two moments.

Yu Puffin
08-19-2016, 11:00 PM
This is a great question! Back when I watched Naruto and Bleach -- and even Black Butler -- regularly I had my fair share of minor characters who I adored but were eliminated after a relatively short timeframe without giving too much backstory. (But if I'm looking for in-depth backstory I should probably check a shorter anime. x'D) Too many to list here, but mostly antagonists. Kind of makes sense, since the protagonists have to keep moving along.

And then, I was reading the Seraph of the End manga, which has a few disposable side characters who exist for one or two panels basically for the sole purpose of being killed... and, as expected with my eye for minor characters, such a character at the end of volume 9 happened to catch my eye. No name or backstory or anything -- just appears for around 5 panels and meets his demise. Of course, I've decided that this is my favorite character and that I'm going to join my OnS-cosplaying friends with a cosplay of him at some point... What even goes on in my mind?

PictureGuy
08-20-2016, 08:25 PM
This is a great question! Back when I watched Naruto and Bleach -- and even Black Butler -- regularly I had my fair share of minor characters who I adored but were eliminated after a relatively short timeframe without giving too much backstory. (But if I'm looking for in-depth backstory I should probably check a shorter anime. x'D) Too many to list here, but mostly antagonists. Kind of makes sense, since the protagonists have to keep moving along.

And then, I was reading the Seraph of the End manga, which has a few disposable side characters who exist for one or two panels basically for the sole purpose of being killed... and, as expected with my eye for minor characters, such a character at the end of volume 9 happened to catch my eye. No name or backstory or anything -- just appears for around 5 panels and meets his demise. Of course, I've decided that this is my favorite character and that I'm going to join my OnS-cosplaying friends with a cosplay of him at some point... What even goes on in my mind?

It is fun to imagine backstories, or any stories, about characters. I keep wanting to put mine in the fan fic file, but I don't have time to write them down.

With Bleach, the problem is there were too many lose ends and unresolved plot points in the series. I always wondered what happened to Nel.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120623050734/bleach/en/images/e/e3/Nel.png

Clayton_n
08-22-2016, 04:40 PM
The demon in Soul Eater.

PictureGuy
08-22-2016, 10:59 PM
The demon in Soul Eater.

Have you ever seen Twin Peaks? Didn't that demon kind of remind you of the dancing dwarf? But you are right. He is interesting.

Clayton_n
08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Actually I believe he's based on the Hellequin from German mythology.

PictureGuy
08-31-2016, 05:02 PM
Actually I believe he's based on the Hellequin from German mythology.

Maybe the dancing dwarf from TP was as well?

But maybe that's just me.