PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

antagonist85
09-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Alright, so here it goes:
I have some experience as a screenwriter, but I have been channeling my inner-youth recently. I somehow believe it's possible with the popularity of manga/anime in North America that I can write one if I team up with the right artist for my project. Back in the 90's, I would've replied to this post with " LOL Good luck, you should move to Japan and try there."

Fun Fact :(That's also when I used to look up video-game programming classes, only to get pissed off when all that existed was in Arizona.)

It's 2015 and things have spread like crazy since then. We have manga in American comic-book stores and you can learn just about anything, anywhere. I've also noticed an American Paranormal-Romance author named Sherrilyn Kenyon has now adapted her Dark Hunter series into a manga. I never read them so I don't know how authentic they look/read. But, I believe that these are signs of opportunity.

So; that being said, I did a little research and came across very few manga publishers in NA. I've sent one email out, but no response. Do you think it's possible for an independent manga to get picked up and published through one of these NA manga distributors? And if it's successful, what's your take on the possibility of it becoming an anime.

Yes, my mind is distracted with all these crazy thoughts, but I take action. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get this done, but I just want the opinion of fellow otaku.

DeathBlade/13.666
09-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. XD No offense but writer's are a dime a dozen and trying to get an artist to work with you is like pulling teeth, because either they suck, have an odd and not well-liked style, or they're good and expensive. Plus most artists don't have a lot of free time.

My advice: If you're solely interested in writing, and not illustrating. Then write a full story out, after that work on getting an illustrator and/or a publisher. Some publishers have illustrators on speed-dial, so it may behoove you to work on getting it published and then have them turn it into a graphic novel. Per a comic book/TV series Writer that I sat in on an interview with at a comic book convention last year, "Write, just write. Write everything and anything. Then start trying to piece things together to make a decent storyline. It doesn't have to be ultimately complete, but should be lengthy enough for a few issues or novels. So if you only have a few chapters, that's okay. But you want it to be detailed enough for an artist to pick it up, read it, and start right away. The faster the Artist gets started drawing, the better because it takes time, plus reviewing, editing, and finalizing. For ongoing series, you'd want to be at least 3 months of writing producible material ahead of what's being drawn up and such, which will be months ahead of what's just released." Also his words on being published [Note: tend to go more for a person doubling as writer and artist], "What the publishers really want to see is the ability to follow a complete train of thoughts or events. So handing them some characters, drawings, and some background info isn't good enough. You need to be able to start and come to a reasonable conclusion following a single storyline, plot, and be consistent and concise with the info. Again, you don't have to reach a full ending, just one good enough to end a chapter, issue, or episode on."

Clayton_n
09-29-2015, 02:30 PM
*Shrugs* Worked for Megas XLR, Megatokyo, numberous webcomics, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koesW3xMKtY

antagonist85
09-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Good point, I never watched Megas XLR. I might check it out, since I do like anything mecha.