PDA

View Full Version : Please Read Me First!!!

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-19-2004, 01:33 PM
OK, I’m a postin’ a list of “Hints and Tips to Look and Sound Like a Intelligent Human Being When Using a Forum,” In the hope that some one will actually read them. What can I say, I’m an optimist.

__________Stuff that is Forbidden Round Here__________

1. Don't post pointless pictures. If you dont know how to set up a Signature (The words/picture under the posts), bug someone on the Site Questions Forum.

2. Below every post you make there is a little button called “Edit.” When pressed this button will allow you to edit your previous post. You can also add additional text. You add additional text to avoid “DOUBLE POSTING”. (Also known as posting two or more times in a row, with no other post in between. It’s annoying, and punishable.) If you don’t want to wait for an other person to post in the thread, this is the route to go.

3. Swearing is Forbidden.

4. At the very least keep your flames off of Animeglobe.com or any of Kaitou’s other sites. If you’re ripping one another a new one on AIM, its not our responsibility. But if you Post flames at one another, we have to punish you. That one was possibly hypocritical coming from me, but …

5. Sex-Related-things are generally Forbidden.

6. Talking about where to get Warez or other illegal software/copyright breaking stuff is Forbidden.

7. The search button is there for a reason. We do not tolerate double topics. Click on search to find a keyword you want to post about and see if there is already a topic on it.

8. Spam is forbidden. Do not post topics with no purpose or don't affect anyone but you. Do not Beg for rupees. Do not start threads begging for rep.

__________Stuff That’s Just Really Annoying__________

7. Don’t type in AOLspeak. And for that matter l337speak is also frowned upon. If you don’t value your opinion enough to write it out in real everyday English, than why should we? Also it's very bad etiquette.

8. Type in colors we can see clearly.

9. Use the Spoiler tag when giving spoilers.

10. Before you post a new topic ask yourself:
A.) Is this in the right forum? (Example: Don’t post an Anime topic in Misc.)
B.) Is there another topic like this? (You can check the backlog of topics, or you can click the search button near the top of the web page)
C.) (If topic is a question) Is my question complete and legible to a third party?
D.) (If topic is a an Opinion) Is my opinion supported by facts and/or logic?
E.) (If topic is a Poll) Can this poll accommodate every possible answer in 15 or less choices? (If it can’t you shouldn’t make it a poll… It just generally indicates you have no idea what your talking about)

11. Typing in All-Caps is annoying. It just shows the world your too lazy to use the shift key. Its ok if you use it once in a while, for emphasis, but your generally better of using Bold type for that.

12. Reread what you type. Don’t post anything you haven’t reread at least once. Ideally you should spell check you work too. Both help alleviate looking like a dork when you misspell common words.

13. Use other text sizes sparingly.

14. PLEASE put a capital at the beginning of your sentence and a period at the end.

15. The Misc. Thread IS NOT for introductions also, since you may be wondering.

16. Keep your pictures fairly small. Many of us are still on 56k.

17. Signatures shouldn't contain pictures any larger than 500x300.

18. If it doubt whether something is Forbidden/Wrong/Bad/Ect. Please ask a mod.

__________Ending Stuff__________
And note, although the Stuff That’s Just Really Annoying isn’t punishable, most of it can and will make The Mods, The Admins, and Most Everyone Else more or less biased against you. If you say, double post and type in all caps, than in my estimation you’re at least 200% more likely to be penalized than someone who only double posted, because you're the bigger nuisance. Just keep that in mind.

Also, about the punishment around here, you’ll probably get a PM from a Mod first, after that you’ll be Warn-ed (The little bar under your name indicates you warning level) which restricts your posting abilities, and then if you keep it up, you’ll be banned.

And I was thinking about locking this, but I'll leave it open for suggestions and questions....
... NO COMMENTS, PLEASE!!! If you want to thank me for posting this, just send an IM. (or money)

Eris
09-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Wtf? What's wrong with sex? It is perfectly natural.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, I personally don't have too big a problem with it, if done tastefully, but it is outlawed in the official rules...

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post, in public or private, any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

...cause' Kaitou and Minako want the site to appeal to all ages... But keep in mind that people did get away with that Pick-Up lines thread which was pretty raunchy.
So if you keep it PG-13 you'll likely get away with it.

AngryYoungMan
09-19-2004, 05:35 PM
why is it that we can't swear? I mean, there IS a censor thingy. whay can't it be programmed for each new curse that pops up?

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Same reason you can't post p0rn: Kaitou/Minako want the board PG-13.

And I really don't know how hard it is to set the word filter, but if you think its a simple task blocking out all the swear words/phrases than you should search for George Carlins "List of Things You Can't Say on TV." (The expanded one he created in the last few years, not his old "Seven Words" one.)

Simply Put, There are way to many swear words/lewd phrases to effectively censor. Unless you make a very large investment in time.

AngryYoungMan
09-19-2004, 06:46 PM
MP2K: Not a Question/Suggestion.

Eris
09-20-2004, 05:23 AM
Can't you make a forum for mature people? (that sounded very wrong)

Like where we can discuss booze and sex and stuff like that. ... and look down on all the people who can't get in.

Princess Minako
09-20-2004, 05:51 AM
no

The Goddess has Spoken

Fabala
09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by PikuNe@Sep 20 2004, 05:23 AM
Can't you make a forum for mature people? (that sounded very wrong)

Like where we can discuss booze and sex and stuff like that. ... and look down on all the people who can't get in.
Seems to me there are entire boards that are nothing BUT that, hm?

Although I've visited another board with a forum entitled "Critical Thinker's Anonymous" filled with discussions on current events, world issues, politics, etc. That might be interesting...as a separation from a more light-spirited Miscellaneous.

Eris
09-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Is it OK to curse in other languages? Or curse in other languages using words that isn't curse words in those langauges (such as "Mjäll!"; meaning dandruff in swedish, but could appear to be cursing to innocent bystanders)

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by PikuNe@Sep 20 2004, 11:55 AM
Is it OK to curse in other languages? Or curse in other languages using words that isn't curse words in those langauges (such as "Mjäll!"; meaning dandruff in swedish, but could appear to be cursing to innocent bystanders)
ah, no O_o because we would have to track down what exactly you are saying, or just assume it's cursing.

Eris
09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Frisör! That sucks.

Or you could just assume all foreign words i use isn't cursing. (or use http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/swe-eng.shtml )

Sophonax
09-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Or, as a moderator, I can look around and make sure he/she's not cursing. I know the languages that are spoken here in Scandinavia(Swedish, danish, norwegian). o.O;

Han
09-20-2004, 02:52 PM
but what if a Cambodian guy comes and says lots of cambodian words.. what'll we do then?

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Ask them to speak english / japanese or ban them otherwise O_o;;;

this is an english language forum for the discussions after all...

Eris
09-20-2004, 03:30 PM
o.O; There is no such language as "cambodian", they speak Khmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_language) in cambodia.

Ace: But that should also go for really bad english. fi i csrablme lttres eht lkie htis, nbooyd cna kema seens otu of tehm. Otherwise i could potentially curse with scrambled innocent english words.

Saaguse! (Sausage) that was hard to read x.x;

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 03:37 PM
actualy that wasn't that hard to read O_o;
ba gur bgure unaq, fbzrguvat yvxr guvf jbhyq or zhpu uneqre.
and that would probably be forbidden O_o; depends on the circumstances, but if it needs decrypting / translating then it probably would not be allowed.

Eris
09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
What about mathematcal impossibilities? Such as 4/0 = 37, would probably upset a whole bunch of mathematicians.

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 03:47 PM
ah, let them be upset ^_^;

a = x            [true for some a's and x's]
  a+a = a+x          [add a to both sides]
   2a = a+x          [a+a = 2a]
2a-2x = a+x-2x       [subtract 2x from both sides]
2(a-x) = a+x-2x      [2a-2x = 2(a-x)]
2(a-x) = a-x         [x-2x = -x]
    2 = 1            [divide both sides by a-x]

AngryYoungMan
09-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Um, maybe if someone scrambles a curse at you, you should just IGNORE IT. I mean jesus christ, if you get upset because someone yells 'Dandruff!' at you in swedish and you think it means something bad, then you need to grow a freakin backbone.

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
the point, as you seem to have missed it entirely, isn't a single persons responce to it, but the site policy, which is to stick to english / japanese, and not to curse.
And as we would have to run it through a translator each time, it's a lot simpler to just assume that the rules were broken.

souichi tsujii
09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I've got a question...is the word 'hell' off-limits? There are different views on whether or not it's a curse word.

Kaitou Ace
09-20-2004, 08:29 PM
no, "hell" is fine O_o;

souichi tsujii
09-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Just making sure...

AngryYoungMan
09-21-2004, 07:23 PM
what about 'god damn it!' or 'Jesus christ!', those aren't gonna offend anyone, are they?

Kaitou Ace
09-21-2004, 10:47 PM
no they aren't

AngryYoungMan
09-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Good, cause I use them a lot. a REAL lot. Usually it's in a conjuction with something else, like
'Jesus F***ing christ!'
or
'Damn this s***....'
So I'll try to hold back a little :lol:

wait_andbleed
09-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Hehe I searched and found out that:
"Fuke" means dandruff in Japanese XD;;
Can I use that? :lol:

Daenerys
09-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by PikuNe@Sep 19 2004, 01:30 PM
Wtf? What's wrong with sex? It is perfectly natural.
I like how you managed to break a rule while asking about another rule. XD

Anyway, Good luck... and Congrats on your new job ;D

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-04-2004, 08:27 AM
I thought of a good question last night: Can one swear on the forums in a fictional language? Like could a Farscape fan tell people to frell themselves? Or, alternately could a LoTR fan start uttering Dwarven and/or Elven Curses?

Suzuna
10-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Is the word ass allowed? It's one of my most favorite words, so I have to know.
And.. you say Japanese is allowed.. but I have seen some PRETTY MANGLED Japanese here :( I guess there's no stopping it, since a lot of anime fans like to think they can speak Japanese when really they just sound like retards. Oh, that's another word I need to know if it's okay. Retard. I heart that word.

MistressPookyChan
10-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Suzuna, I started a "learn japanese" thread awhile ago to try to help the horrible Japanese floating around the forum. If there is a desire for it, I can start it up again.

anywho, I think there needs to be a list of banned words so that people know for sure. Right now it's dependent on what the particular mod/admin thinks is a swear word.

LadyPSerenity
10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Usually for what I go off of it's what the chat guidelines is for swearing... if you want what I use for my list of banned words... I don't know if that is right but it's what I've used when modding.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-14-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm planning to redo this sometime in the next few days... I'll add info about the new hacks, and see if anything is now obsolete.

It'll be a new closed topic though.

Nemesio
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
o.O; Why is this such a big problem? Would you really need to cuss someone out that badly? The rules state that cussing is bad. Use good judgement, and the problem really shouldn't arise at all. As for different languages, it's still cussing. And even if it isn't, it's still giving off the angry vibe associated with cussing. You should just assume that anything USED as a curse word will be treated as such, right? You're under no obligation to listen to me; I'm new here. But still, I've been online for a few years now, and it's been enough to figure out that good grammer and polite behavior are just a couple of the things that are extremely rare these days.

By the way, Manhatten_Project, you sorta had a few embarrassing typos yourself. n.n;

11. Typing in All-Caps is annoying. It just shows the world your too lazy to use the shift key. Its ok if you use it once in a while, for emphasis, but your generally better of using Bold type for that.
"You're generally better off"

n.n;; Just pointing it out and hoping to save you from someone who'd call you a hypocrite for it.

......... Hoo, boy, hope I didn't just make myself look like an even bigger jerk by doing that... o.o;

OH, now I remember what it was I really wanted to ask about! :D

Would you post a topic in Misc. if it simply doesn't fall into any other category on the forum?

Daenerys
10-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Miscellaneous is for topics that do not generally fall into any other category of the forums, yes.

If you had a question about the site, that would go in Site Issues. If you had a question about avatars or signatures, it could go in either Site Issues or Avatars. If you had a question about the rules, it would go in Site Issues. If you had a topic about Inu Yasha vs Sailor Moon, it would go in General Anime/Manga

Get it?

And note: All RPG related questions go in site issues, not role play. That is for written out role plays, and not for the board related role play issues. =D

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-17-2004, 07:11 PM
By the way, Manhatten_Project, you sorta had a few embarrassing typos yourself. n.n;

"You're generally better off"

n.n;; Just pointing it out and hoping to save you from someone who'd call you a hypocrite for it.

......... Hoo, boy, hope I didn't just make myself look like an even bigger jerk by doing that... o.o;
I realize that my typing tends to be error laden. I re-read it almost a dozen times, and based on the original I'm pretty proud if that's the only typo.
Likewise, I'm not too afraid of people calling me a hypocrite because anyone who thinks its possible to have perfect spelling/grammer/ect. all the time isn't worth listening to anyway.

Nemesio
10-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Don't worry about it. n.n Vm Nobody's perfect.

Suzuna
10-23-2004, 03:45 AM
Don't worry about it. n.n Vm Nobody's perfect.Indeed. Grammer.. I giggled. It's a mistake made so often that it's practically an alternate spelling, though. Just asking one more time.. we sure there's no way we can ever have a certain place in the site for the "bad stuff"?

Daenerys
10-25-2004, 12:07 AM
I don't think you should list it in the forum rules though, I mean if it's listed, then each post that isnt gramically correct, then you should have to edit each and everyone of those posts.

See what I mean? It's kind of unfair to have a double standard.

spider-man-old
10-26-2004, 05:49 PM
How did I post here I pushed a button on the secret admirers thread!

Princess Mononoke
10-26-2004, 07:27 PM
i go bye what i was told... its bad if it couldnt be in a saturday morning cartoon. and if it is they get a warning... of course some of you know that by now ^^;

Daenerys
10-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Yeah, and then the chat rules thing.

I should put that link in my sig or something.

Yunfei
10-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Crap this thread is full of admins and moders:eek: . I read this first though. Im gonna go now:help2:

ryu-otaku
10-31-2004, 03:52 AM
Boy does this thing reak... to many admins.

Frozen Tears
11-03-2004, 12:23 PM
hmmm...how 2 speak japanese:yeah u need too bring that back

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think you should list it in the forum rules though, I mean if it's listed, then each post that isnt gramically correct, then you should have to edit each and everyone of those posts.

See what I mean? It's kind of unfair to have a double standard.
This isn't so much the forum rules as it is a guide to etiquette on these boards. I made a point of making that as apparent as possible. I listed things that are against the rules (Swearing, Spamming, Sex stuff, ect). Then I listed the stuff thats just rude/bad etiquette in the next section.
And I do usually edit topic titles for Spelling/Grammar.

Also I'm closing this because its been getting too off topicy. And the stupid 12 year olds talking about Mod's/Admin's are stupid.